Author Topic: Romney's take on the stimulus plan - CNN  (Read 6360 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Romney's take on the stimulus plan - CNN
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:31:10 AM »
Editor's note: Mitt Romney is the former governor of Massachusetts and was a candidate for the Republican nomination for president in 2008. This commentary was adapted from remarks he made last week to the House Republican Conference.

(CNN) -- These are extraordinary times, and like a lot of Republicans I believe that a well-crafted stimulus plan is needed to put people back to work. But the Obama spending bill would stimulate the government, not the economy.

Mitt Romney says Obama's spending bill would stimulate the government rather than the economy.

We're on an economic tightrope. The package that passed the House is a huge increase in the amount of government borrowing. And we've borrowed so much already that if we add too much more debt, or spend foolishly, we could invite an even bigger crisis.

We could precipitate a worldwide crisis of confidence in America, leading to a run on the dollar or hyperinflation that wipes out family savings and devastates the middle class.

It's still early in the administration of President Obama. Like everyone who loves this country, I want him to adopt the correct course and then to succeed. He still has a chance to step in and insist on spending discipline among the members of his own party.

It's his job to set priorities. I hope for America's sake that he knows that a chief executive can't vote "present." He has to say yes to some things and no to a lot of others.

As someone who spent a career in the private sector, I'd like to see a stimulus package that respects the productivity and genius of the American people. And experience shows us what it should look like.

First, there are two ways you can put money into the economy, by spending more or by taxing less. But if it's stimulus you want, taxing less works best. That's why permanent tax cuts should be the centerpiece of the economic stimulus.

Second, any new spending must be strictly limited to projects that are essential. How do we define essential? Well, a good rule is that the projects we fund in a stimulus should be legitimate government priorities that would have been carried out in the future anyway, and are simply being moved up to create those jobs now.

As we take out nonessential projects, we should focus on funding the real needs of government that will have immediate impact. And what better place to begin than repairing and replacing military equipment that was damaged or destroyed in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan?

Third, sending out rebate checks to citizens and businesses is not a tax cut. The media bought this line so far, but they've got it wrong. Checks in the mail are refunds, not tax cuts. We tried rebate checks in 2008 and they did virtually nothing to jump-start the economy. Disposable income went up, but consumption hardly moved.

Businesses aren't stupid. They're not going to invest in equipment and new hires for a one-time, short-term blip. What's needed are permanent rate cuts on individuals and businesses.

Fourth, if we're going to tax less and spend more to get the economy moving, then we have to make another commitment as well. As soon as this economy recovers, we have to regain control over the federal budget, and above all, over entitlement spending for programs such as Social Security and Medicare. This is more important than most people are willing to admit.

There is a real danger that with trillions of additional borrowing -- from the budget deficit and from the stimulus -- world investors will begin to fear that our dollars won't be worth much in the future. It is essential that we demonstrate our commitment to maintaining the value of the dollar. That means showing the world that we will put a stop to runaway spending and borrowing.

Fifth, we must begin to recover from the enormous losses in the capital investment pool. And the surest, most obvious way to get that done is to send a clear signal that there will be no tax increases on investment and capital gains. The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts should be extended permanently, or at least temporarily.

And finally, let's exercise restraint in the size of the stimulus package. Last year, with the economy already faltering, I proposed a stimulus of $233 billion. The Washington Post said: "Romney's plan is way too big." So what critique will the media have for the size of the Obama package?

In the final analysis, we know that only the private sector -- entrepreneurs and businesses large and small -- can create the millions of jobs our country needs. The invisible hand of the market always moves faster and better than the heavy hand of government.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mitt Romney.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Romney's take on the stimulus plan - CNN
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:16:16 AM »
Romney, as VP, would be running shit right now.

mccain had to pick someone without economic experience.  mistake.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:24:16 AM »
I can't believe the repubs nominated McCain instead of Romney.  A guy like Romney would have been a wise choice with our economic problems.

It appears Obama is not doing enough to reign in the partisan BS from Pelosi and the left of his party.  It is inconceivable that this stimulus package has anything other than economic stimulus policies.  Many ignore that we just spent $700 billion of taxpayor monies in the TARP bailouts.  Also that the rebates of last year didn't do shit.  We are setting ourselves up for inflation, big government, bigger debt and tax increases coming.  People are ignoring the future price of this additional 900 billion.

Besides the democratic pet projects, this package stimulates temporary government work, not permanent jobs and little for the private sector who really create jobs, as Michael Steele said this AM.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:24:31 AM »
I'd like just one these Republican drones to show some proof that tax cuts actually stimulate spending.  Lack of spending (aka demand or the capacity to spend) is the problem.   If the govt starts spending it puts $$$'s in people's pocket and they start spending and the whole thing starts loosening up.  It's Econ 101.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
Straw if you want to put $ in people's pocket, reduce payroll tax.  Everyone that works will take home more and the employers will have more money to invest in their business, purchase items or hire more people.  To me, that is economics 101.  It is a double bang for your buck.  This bill has no provisions on payroll or capital gains taxes!  Give people incentive to spend...tax credits for home and auto purchases make a lot of sense.

Giving everyone $500-600 already failed, why the hell would we take that approach again?

By the way, these "republican drones" are trying to protect abuses of your tax money against many of the pet projects people in your party put in there.

Did you know there is a provision to double the amount of federal spending for education?  We've tried pouring money into education, that is not the best way to improve education...and its certainly not a good short term stimulus.

Dude, please read what is in this bill.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »
I can't believe the repubs nominated McCain instead of Romney.  A guy like Romney would have been a wise choice with our economic problems.

at the time, iraq was more important than the economy.

economy tanked in mid-september.  In early october, Mccain should have let Palin 'switch over' to be "energy czar".  After all, his quote was "she knows more about energy than ANYONE ELSE IN THE UNITED STATES"

Let Dr./Mayor Palin have the energy title and still motivate the zealots.  let Romney calm all the financial fears.  Mccain would have won.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »
I'd like just one these Republican drones to show some proof that tax cuts actually stimulate spending.  Lack of spending (aka demand or the capacity to spend) is the problem.   If the govt starts spending it puts $$$'s in people's pocket and they start spending and the whole thing starts loosening up.  It's Econ 101.

Huh???  How about, if you want to put money in people's pocket, PUT MONEY IN PEOPLE'S POCKET.  Or more to the point, DON'T TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR POCKET IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Your theory just sounds like a liberal version of "voodoo economics."  I mean, really.  WTF ???

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:44:17 AM »
Huh???  How about, if you want to put money in people's pocket, PUT MONEY IN PEOPLE'S POCKET.  Or more to the point, DON'T TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR POCKET IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Your theory just sounds like a liberal version of "voodoo economics."  I mean, really.  WTF ???

Funny - the term voodoo economics was first used by Bush1 on the campaign trail to decribe Reagans (now proven failed) theory of trickle down economics, aka "supply side" economics.   It's the demand side of the equation that you need to tweek not the supply side.   We have the last 30 years of supply side economics (aka - tax cuts, tax credits, etc..) that have turned us from the largest creditor nation to the largest debtor nation and helped to create the current economic shitstorm

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
Straw if you want to put $ in people's pocket, reduce payroll tax.  Everyone that works will take home more and the employers will have more money to invest in their business, purchase items or hire more people.  To me, that is economics 101.  It is a double bang for your buck.  This bill has no provisions on payroll or capital gains taxes!  Give people incentive to spend...tax credits for home and auto purchases make a lot of sense.

Giving everyone $500-600 already failed, why the hell would we take that approach again?

By the way, these "republican drones" are trying to protect abuses of your tax money against many of the pet projects people in your party put in there.

Did you know there is a provision to double the amount of federal spending for education?  We've tried pouring money into education, that is not the best way to improve education...and its certainly not a good short term stimulus.

Dude, please read what is in this bill.

you're right that a reduction in payroll tax would have an immediate and permanent effect on stimulating/creating demand.  They could even lower it on the first 100k and then add back the part they deducted to people making over 500k or some similar plan.   I'm not buying the idea that Repubs are looking out for my interest.  If they were they would have showed some fiscal discipline on the money that was wasted or simply lost in Iraq and all the $$$'s that were lost through graft and corruption in Katrina relief, etc...   

I think any Repub who votes against the stimulus plan should have their state eliminated from receiving any federal funds.  Let's help them make their actions consistent with their words.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
Funny - the term voodoo economics was first used by Bush1 on the campaign trail to decribe Reagans (now proven failed) theory of trickle down economics, aka "supply side" economics.   It's the demand side of the equation that you need to tweek not the supply side.   We have the last 30 years of supply side economics (aka - tax cuts, tax credits, etc..) that have turned us from the largest creditor nation to the largest debtor nation and helped to create the current economic shitstorm

There are many people that would disagree with you.
Stating that the problem was the fact that there was over involvement by government in the first place, by having groups like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac provide loans to people that don't qualify.

You are also not looking back far enough demand side economics were really popular up until about 82 but these cause their own problems of discouraging growth and creating stagnant economies, this was the case in both England and the US.

The real solution is to use both vehicles on order to help the economy.

Also the fundamental underlying problem with all of this is that people aren't going to jail for fraud and no one is accountable for their actions. This has to change. Either through more government oversight in the economy, through a stronger regulatory body, or by bringing charges against the executives that over state their books instead of just letting, them correct them.
Z

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
There are many people that would disagree with you.
Stating that the problem was the fact that there was over involvement by government in the first place, by having groups like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac provide loans to people that don't qualify.

You are also not looking back far enough demand side economics were really popular up until about 82 but these cause their own problems of discouraging growth and creating stagnant economies, this was the case in both England and the US.

The real solution is to use both vehicles on order to help the economy.

Also the fundamental underlying problem with all of this is that people aren't going to jail for fraud and no one is accountable for their actions. This has to change. Either through more government oversight in the economy, through a stronger regulatory body, or by bringing charges against the executives that over state their books instead of just letting, them correct them.

I agree that we can definitely take action on both sides of the supply/demand equation but for the last ~ 30 years the majority of the action has been on the supply side and we are now reaping what we have sown.

Fannie/Freddie were very late the bad mortgage gangbang.  Lehman and Bear Stearns were the ones that introduced -true No Doc loans on a large scale that they were able to put in pools and then slice into various securities to be sold around the world.   I'm 100% with you on the lack of punitive measures for the people who perpetrated this fraud.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »

That, seriously, is partly due to the elements within the GOP, the same racist type elements - which the GOP attracts. Sure legit issues with him flip/flopping eetc - but the whole "Mormon" thing got people. Who cares? Many in the GOP did.

Besides, he, of all the GOP, lived the Christian life - one marriage, great kids, no affairs on record, clean living wife, even his kids had all their kids in wedlock with no divorces. Plus, he donated his whole Olympic salary to charity - sure hes loaded and can afford, but nice all the same. McCain - divorced, records of affair, left wife kids for a younger lady, wifes stealing etc - very "unchristian" lifestyle

Romney, IMO, was the best choice of all parties, head`and shoulders above them all.

Romney, as VP, would be running shit right now.

mccain had to pick someone without economic experience.  mistake.

Exactly. I truly think with a Romney VP, it would be a Prez MCain now. As the timing of the economic meltdown, Romney would have been a *serious* ace in the hole late in the campaign - his financial skills are undebatable. Instead Mccain had Palin making an ass of herself with Couric, under investigation and all sorts for all the world to see.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »
I agree that we can definitely take action on both sides of the supply/demand equation but for the last ~ 30 years the majority of the action has been on the supply side and we are now reaping what we have sown.

Fannie/Freddie were very late the bad mortgage gangbang.  Lehman and Bear Stearns were the ones that introduced -true No Doc loans on a large scale that they were able to put in pools and then slice into various securities to be sold around the world.   I'm 100% with you on the lack of punitive measures for the people who perpetrated this fraud.

I fundamentally agree with a Keynesian style of economics, with tax cuts to create growth during stagnation.
Slow growth is better then a large amount of growth, then depressions or large recessions, this is the ugly side of supply side economics that people don't talk about.
The other part about supply side economics is that it needs new markets to create growth. When any large market slows down growth stops and recessions start.
The final part is that infrastructure deteriorates because in order to reduce taxes less money is spent repairing or building infrastructure,which was the largest American advantage.
Z

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »
That, seriously, is partly due to the elements within the GOP, the same racist type elements - which the GOP attracts. Sure legit issues with him flip/flopping eetc - but the whole "Mormon" thing got people. Who cares? Many in the GOP did.

Besides, he, of all the GOP, lived the Christian life - one marriage, great kids, no affairs on record, clean living wife, even his kids had all their kids in wedlock with no divorces. Plus, he donated his whole Olympic salary to charity - sure hes loaded and can afford, but nice all the same. McCain - divorced, records of affair, left wife kids for a younger lady, wifes stealing etc - very "unchristian" lifestyle

Romney, IMO, was the best choice of all parties, head`and shoulders above them all.

Exactly. I truly think with a Romney VP, it would be a Prez MCain now. As the timing of the economic meltdown, Romney would have been a *serious* ace in the hole late in the campaign - his financial skills are undebatable. Instead Mccain had Palin making an ass of herself with Couric, under investigation and all sorts for all the world to see.

How many people know that Harry Reid is also Mormon?  Although personally I consider him a disgrace to my religion.  But why isn't it a big issue with Reid but it was with Romney?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
Yep, big blunder when McCain didn't pick Romney.  CQ, respectfully, I disagree that racism had anything to do with Romney not being picked...if you meant more that some people in the party didn't like him on religious basis...perhaps so.  Thats where the party has to change some, as I think you will agree.  The party has to be more inclusive on social/religious matters without throwing away some conservative social principles (ie family values, definition of marriage, etc).  The republicans, if smart, would be uniformly conservative on economic issues but pick their battles on the social side.
 Romney should have been the nominee.  Can you imagine the debates on the economy with Obama?  Romney knows far more than Obama or McCain on these matters.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »
I just have the impression that Obama wants this bill passed regardless of whats in it at this point.  I feel this is completely irresponsible.  If this is not calculated spending that directly benefits the economy, then its a shit bill and a waste of money.  Obama is cheerleading too much this week.  He said every economist believes a bill of this magnitude needs to be passed.  That is just not honest.  Many economists have come out in the past 1-2 weeks and disagree.  I heard 2 just yesterday on the news.

Straw, I don't think all republicans are perfect on this either...I am disenchanted with them as well with all the spending in the last few years.  We should be looking to the blue dog dems and the real economic conservatives right now to watch over this bill as it is getting shoved down our throats.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »
I just have the impression that Obama wants this bill passed regardless of whats in it at this point.  I feel this is completely irresponsible.  If this is not calculated spending that directly benefits the economy, then its a shit bill and a waste of money.  Obama is cheerleading too much this week.  He said every economist believes a bill of this magnitude needs to be passed.  That is just not honest.  Many economists have come out in the past 1-2 weeks and disagree.  I heard 2 just yesterday on the news.

Straw, I don't think all republicans are perfect on this either...I am disenchanted with them as well with all the spending in the last few years.  We should be looking to the blue dog dems and the real economic conservatives right now to watch over this bill as it is getting shoved down our throats.

I think Obama has listened in earnest and acted in good faith with the Republicans and got nothing in return.   The  Repubs who are so strident right now are the same ones who loaded us up with all kinds of pork over the last 8 years.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »
I think Obama has listened in earnest and acted in good faith with the Republicans and got nothing in return.   The  Repubs who are so strident right now are the same ones who loaded us up with all kinds of pork over the last 8 years.

The problem isn't with Obama, but with Pelosi, who isn't listening to anyone.

How many people know that Harry Reid is also Mormon?  Although personally I consider him a disgrace to my religion.  But why isn't it a big issue with Reid but it was with Romney?

In general there is more tolerance of differing religions in the democratic party, as long as you don't run as being religious.

Faith is much more bigger deal with Republicans especially in the south where they need to win votes.
Z

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »

As its not out there I think, actually this is the first I knew "my lesson for the day" if you will, plus I was refernecing the GOP which I doubt voted Reid in lol. I constantly read/heard of Romney being a Mormon, and wondered why it even came into play. Long as someone isnt satantic, or a weirdo cult member why would their religion even matter is how I see it.

Yep, big blunder when McCain didn't pick Romney.  CQ, respectfully, I disagree that racism had anything to do with Romney not being picked...if you meant more that some people in the party didn't like him on religious basis...perhaps so.  Thats where the party has to change some, as I think you will agree.

Thats exactly what I meant, not saying it was the sole reason, but it played into it - I never heard about Mccains, Guilianis religion etc - just Romney being a Mormon. Who cares? My mention of racism [which obviously I think didn't play into it, GOP had options - white, white and white lol] was that those prone to dislike someone based on religion, are the same types prone to dislike someone based on race. People like say you and I aren't going to "not vote" for someone due to religion/race or even gender as someone here mentioned recently their "qualms" about a woman president. The GOP needs to flush that element, its not the officials, its a small fraction some nutty supporters. Hard to dump supporters, but somehow they need to go. GOP can't truly be inclusive with that element hindering them.

Romney should have been the nominee.  Can you imagine the debates on the economy with Obama?  Romney knows far more than Obama or McCain on these matters.

Agree, I still for the life of me don't see why Romney would not have cleaned up. On paper, he beats all.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 08:57:32 AM »
Agree, I still for the life of me don't see why Romney would not have cleaned up. On paper, he beats all.

In spite of his photogenic qualities and scandal-free personal life he still couldn't overcome the problem that he came across as a neocon wack job.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=156317&title=mitt-drops-out&byDate=true

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

I don't think so.

McCain won a number of early Republican primaries where independents and democrats were allowed to vote.  It's a stupid method.  In those primaries, Romney actually won more of the Republican vote, but lost the overall.

McCain gained too much momentum from that.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:29 AM »

It appears Obama is not doing enough to reign in the partisan BS from Pelosi and the left of his party.  It is inconceivable that this stimulus package has anything other than economic stimulus policies.  Many ignore that we just spent $700 billion of taxpayor monies in the TARP bailouts.  Also that the rebates of last year didn't do shit.  We are setting ourselves up for inflation, big government, bigger debt and tax increases coming.  People are ignoring the future price of this additional 900 billion.

Besides the democratic pet projects, this package stimulates temporary government work, not permanent jobs and little for the private sector who really create jobs, as Michael Steele said this AM.

I voted for romney in the primary.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »
In spite of his photogenic qualities and scandal-free personal life he still couldn't overcome the problem that he came across as a neocon wack job.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=156317&title=mitt-drops-out&byDate=true

obama needs to tell Pelosi to really STFU quick or he is going to go down in flames very quickly.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »
obama needs to tell Pelosi to really STFU quick or he is going to go down in flames very quickly.

I'm probably as sick of her and Harry Reid as any Republican on this board.

I have no clue how these two feckless morons ever got into leadership roles

I'd like to see Feingold as Senate majority leader

Not sure who I'd want in the House

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »
We go back and forth, but I remember vividly the battles with clinton and newt that resulted in very good things for the public. 

They acted very responsibly and Obama needs to get with it and understand that Clinton only became very popular after welfare reform, balanced budget, etc.

If he aligns himself with Pelosi, he will be a one termer at best.