Author Topic: Can drug dogs sniff steroids?  (Read 20160 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Can drug dogs sniff steroids?
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
A little bit of liquid dbol leaked in my laptop bag.  Its the one I bring with me when I travel.  Just wondering if airport drug dogs would be allured to it or are they not trained for such stuff.

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
Re: Can drug dogs sniff steroids?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
To the best of my knowledge only 3 Canines have ever attempted to be trained for sniffing anabolic steroids in any law enforcement division that operates in the U.S.

This does not mean that they are not conducting experiments but to actually train a dog to sniff out an almost impossible odor to detect is tough.

That being said a dog can be trained given the right amount of time and proper training to sniff out anything.

Case in point................... .

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/blog/2008/12/15/steroid-sniffing-dog-makes-steroid-bust-at-mexican-border/

DRDOOM

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »
If there was a list of the most paranoid people on earth you would make top 3.

DRDOOM

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:48:34 AM »
Trust me, NO!

I have stood next to those dogs countless times with gear on me and they have never reacted. Of course dogs like the german shepherd CAN smell everything, but they don't get alarmed by it.
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
It depends on a couple of different factors.  First consider the drug and the volume of drug there is. A small amount of water based probably wouldn't be an issue because it would take an appreciable amount to be detected once its dried. Oil based is a different story because the oil won't dry quickly.  Food grade Oils  (ie olive, grapeseed, etc)  all have a distinct smell that can be easily detected by scent trained dogs.   

You also have to be concerned about cross over odors.   Dogs are trained to detect a certian oder, they are not trained to detect a specific substance.  If there is something that smells close---ie olive oil as in FOOD, there is a risk that the dog may show subtle interest what they are smelling.   (Yes, an ideally trained dog wouldnt' but lets be realistic, there are levels of drug dog just like there are levels of police officer). 

Dogs are not fullproof, but their noses are one hell of a lot better than humans.  They also can and do give false positive reads.  If you are acting jumpy and the dog gives the slightest hint of a reaction, that may be enough to give the handler suspicion not because of the dog smelling something, but because of how you are acting.  At that point, it doesn't matter.  You react in any way they suspect and they are going to go after you.   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
To the best of my knowledge only 3 Canines have ever attempted to be trained for sniffing anabolic steroids in any law enforcement division that operates in the U.S.

This does not mean that they are not conducting experiments but to actually train a dog to sniff out an almost impossible odor to detect is tough.

That being said a dog can be trained given the right amount of time and proper training to sniff out anything.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/blog/2008/12/15/steroid-sniffing-dog-makes-steroid-bust-at-mexican-border/

The thing is that article gives no indication that that dog was actually trained to sniff anabolic steroids.  The driver acted nervous (see what I said above) and the dog alerted (on who knows what).  From there the officers searched.   All you have to do is give them a reason at a checkpoint and they can search.  It can be a false positive from the dog. 

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
The answer 100% is no they can't.

DRDOOM

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
The answer 100% is no they can't.
Let's be serious now mon of steele.  I will probably go 101% on that one.  If you really are that

shit scared just drop another $20 bucks on a knew lap top bag & save yourself all the anxiety.

DRDOOM

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »

Amazing.

Fortunately, there aren't enough resources in our government to employ dogs like these at all major airports.

Customs @ JFK and other ports has them though.

BIG O, where the fuck have you been, nugga?   ???

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
Amazing.

Fortunately, there aren't enough resources in our government to employ dogs like these at all major airports.

Customs @ JFK and other ports has them though.

BIG O, where the fuck have you been, nugga?   ???

DIV

Trolling the MMA board and working/training like a bitch.

You know us Trolls. We always come back.

Seriously I miss the board. A good part of my life has been on this board (old board 4 as we used to call it) and now since I am taking some time off I thought I'd make a cameo..........

How you been bro? Hope all is good with training and life...........

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
Trolling the MMA board and working/training like a bitch.

You know us Trolls. We always come back.

Seriously I miss the board. A good part of my life has been on this board (old board 4 as we used to call it) and now since I am taking some time off I thought I'd make a cameo..........

How you been bro? Hope all is good with training and life...........

You should stay...........

All is good relatively.......just wish I could have stayed 25 years old forever.   

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...