Author Topic: World Gym SOLD by Planet Fitness in Dec 2008  (Read 7439 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
World Gym SOLD by Planet Fitness in Dec 2008
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »
Well World Gym has been purchased from Planet Fitness.  Seems to be a private party.  Can't go into details but it will be interesting to see what they do to make a change.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: World Gym SOLD
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »
kevin levrone was the owner.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
must of not done much visiting, he weighs as much as three gallons of milk and a loaf of bread these days, no?
The Number 2 in Scranton

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »

ummmmmm, no.  he was a franchisee...until he ran it into the ground.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
and here it goes (see my prediction for the fitness industry for this year) you will see more and more of the big Chains buying the smaller gyms and closing even more of them by the end of the year.

Keith bad timing to have opened a gym this year buddy

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Well World Gym has been purchased from Planet Fitness.  Seems to be a private party.  Can't go into details but it will be interesting to see what they do to make a change.

you're two years behind the times

http://fitnessbusinesspro.com/news/planet-fitness-world-fitness/

or even

http://www.getbig.com/news/2006-04/061111planet.htm

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
you're two years behind the times

http://fitnessbusinesspro.com/news/planet-fitness-world-fitness/

or even

http://www.getbig.com/news/2006-04/061111planet.htm

No sorry the sale was finalized in December 2008.  By the way, I stated Planet Fitness sold World Gym.  Please read the article you posted.  If you need help staying up to date contact me. 

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
No sorry the sale was finalized in December 2008.  By the way, I stated Planet Fitness sold World Gym.  Please read the article you posted.  If you need help staying up to date contact me. 

Keith do you think now than ever it is a super risky time to open a gym? With people spending less and less money do you think we will see a big dropoff in big Gym Chains?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »
Keith do you think now than ever it is a super risky time to open a gym? With people spending less and less money do you think we will see a big dropoff in big Gym Chains?

I don't think we'll see a huge drop-off in gym chains but having a gym membership is considered a luxury for many people and luxuries are usually the first thing to go when there's a recession - memberships will drop significantly but probably not enough to make whole companies disappear.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »
There was a new story last week about how a women saying she hiring a PT to help her lose weight. she said she saves money on food and also health problems in the future. Maybe gyms will shift over more to a health approach and not a looking good one?
A

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »
and here it goes (see my prediction for the fitness industry for this year) you will see more and more of the big Chains buying the smaller gyms and closing even more of them by the end of the year.

Keith bad timing to have opened a gym this year buddy

not sure.  gym memberships were down 3% nationwide last year and that was the first time in more than 15 years memberships went down and not up.  I definitely timed my gym at the wrong time.  A big part was because my investor had already bought a big building here and literally stuck $1.8 million into renovations and then the city took 15 months to give him his COO.  That set back everything and now he is struggling to fill his building.  Once that happens he said we can talk about my gym.  So until then I am just watching other shit open.  I could have stayed in Hawaii and at least stayed tan.  Smaller gyms and single locations just can't hang with the big boys.  My gym is designed to compete with the big boys and still can.  Opening anything under at least 35,000 sq. ft. in a major city is just not practical anymore.  I have a great team behind me ready to go once I get shit going but at this time I have no idea when that will be.  Luckily I am doing nude modeling to pay the bills along with part time male prostitution.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
not sure.  gym memberships were down 3% nationwide last year and that was the first time in more than 15 years memberships went down and not up.  I definitely timed my gym at the wrong time.  A big part was because my investor had already bought a big building here and literally stuck $1.8 million into renovations and then the city took 15 months to give him his COO.  That set back everything and now he is struggling to fill his building.  Once that happens he said we can talk about my gym.  So until then I am just watching other shit open.  I could have stayed in Hawaii and at least stayed tan.  Smaller gyms and single locations just can't hang with the big boys.  My gym is designed to compete with the big boys and still can.  Opening anything under at least 35,000 sq. ft. in a major city is just not practical anymore.  I have a great team behind me ready to go once I get shit going but at this time I have no idea when that will be.  Luckily I am doing nude modeling to pay the bills along with part time male prostitution.

Luckily I am doing nude modeling to pay the bills along with part time male prostitution. Hope that is working out for you..... ;D
D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
There was a new story last week about how a women saying she hiring a PT to help her lose weight. she said she saves money on food and also health problems in the future. Maybe gyms will shift over more to a health approach and not a looking good one?

Gyms have changed big time over the past few years.  Remember when mirrors needed to be on every wall.  Now, members are saying the don't like mirrors.  It makes people self conscious.  Personal Training has increased big too.  More older people are going to gyms today.  The thing that most gyms DO NOT do is take advantage of the members who come into the gym.  Money can be made from a lot more than just a membership. LVAC here on Eastern averages 6000 members a day.  The new LVAC that is 85,000 sq., ft. I heard averages closer to 7,000 a day.  If there is a place where you can open a gym and make some money Las Vegas is the place.  It is still growing and almost no matter when you go to 24 or LVAC the place has a ton of people.  Gold's Gyms are down here big time though.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »

It's a hard world to live in, my friend. Your just doing your part to make the world a better place ... I ain't made at cha' !

Twila

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

You are such a fat clown. Your investor buddy sounds like he is broke. You sit back stuffing your fat face all day looking at the internet making shit up as you go. You think some fat matza ball such as yourself would get an opportunity to build some multi million/billion dollar gym. It takes corporations to start those, money from banks, business plans, which you have none. HAHA Fatboy, keep picking at your spider bite and stuffing your face.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »
Owning a gym now is Russian Roulette...Something massive is going to happen over the next year or two leading to 2012...Something 1000 times worse then 9/11...Working out will be the last thing on Joe Blow's mind

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
My gym owner makes more money from selling sandwiches, shakes, making tea, coffee and selling protein than he takes in from memberships/workout money

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
Gyms need to start selling beer.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
or gear

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
or gear

yes....where do I sign up?  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »
Gyms have changed big time over the past few years.  Remember when mirrors needed to be on every wall.  Now, members are saying the don't like mirrors.  It makes people self conscious.  Personal Training has increased big too.  More older people are going to gyms today.  The thing that most gyms DO NOT do is take advantage of the members who come into the gym.  Money can be made from a lot more than just a membership. LVAC here on Eastern averages 6000 members a day.  The new LVAC that is 85,000 sq., ft. I heard averages closer to 7,000 a day.  If there is a place where you can open a gym and make some money Las Vegas is the place.  It is still growing and almost no matter when you go to 24 or LVAC the place has a ton of people.  Gold's Gyms are down here big time though.
Reminds me that on Wednesday some fuckstik in our gym broke a mirror if front of one of the incline benchs. Man, was he embarrassed. $450 damage and he just walked away and said nothing. What a tool.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »
i dropped a deadlift on a plate and put the center through before.

however i did go out to reception and tell them and some guy just came and said "dont drop the deadlifts"...was cool about it

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 05:34:25 PM »
My gym had the best month ever last month.. Opening another too BTW..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
My gym had the best month ever last month.. Opening another too BTW..
great to hear..  goin to put those insane dumbells in the new one ?

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
great to hear..  goin to put those insane dumbells in the new one ?

Nahh.. heh.. it will be a bit less hardcore..