Author Topic: Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio  (Read 5345 times)

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »
Yeah. Rush = reality.   ::)

Sure it's entertainment and there's a level of showmanship going on like anything else, but you know Rush isn't just playing a role--the opinions expressed are his own and he's not just pulling them out of his ass.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
Sure it's entertainment and there's a level of showmanship going on like anything else, but you know Rush isn't just playing a role--the opinions expressed are his own and he's not just pulling them out of his ass.

Rush is boring to me and a GOP shill.

I personally like Savage, Sliwa, Beck, and Gambling.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
Rush is boring to me and a GOP shill.

I personally like Savage, Sliwa, Beck, and Gambling.

I don't even know Sliwa and Gambling.  And I'm not sure Savage is even on out here where I'm at anymore...  but I used to really enjoy listening to him.  And I do agree with you, he's got more talent in his little finger than a lot of the Hollywood elite.

And I do really like Glenn Beck too, although quite honestly...  lately I've opted for the classic rock station during my drive home because Glenn's been sounding pretty doom-and-gloom.  I know he's right on the money, but I can only take so much of it lately.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
I don't even know Sliwa and Gambling.  And I'm not sure Savage is even on out here where I'm at anymore...  but I used to really enjoy listening to him.  And I do agree with you, he's got more talent in his little finger than a lot of the Hollywood elite.

And I do really like Glenn Beck too, although quite honestly...  lately I've opted for the classic rock station during my drive home because Glenn's been sounding pretty doom-and-gloom.  I know he's right on the money, but I can only take so much of it lately.

go on Itunes.  Savage has a free podcast. 

Sliwa and Gambling are NYC radio hosts.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
wow... so many people here couldn't stop sucking neocock for the last 8 years, as dubya used trillions to fund wars and feed banks, lying to us all the time.

suddenly obama wants to give some $ - not to corps or war, but to create 3 million US jobs - and you're crying for a revolution.

Please, seriously, shut the fvck up. 

1) You're talking out of your ass.  Pelosi, reid, and anyone else can do what they want, and you will not do shit.  I repeat.  You won't do shit but complain about it.

2) It's all partisan for you.  If Bush was writing this bill (which he essentially did, with the bank bailout, except for no jobs came of that trillion), you'd shrug it off.  Obama does it, and suddenly the sky is falling.

Shut up.  That's all.  STFU.  One in ten (or more) people are out of work in some parts of the country.  Obama's proposing a bill that will create jobs - and create them in alternatives to oil - at the same time.

Seriously, we always joked that when obama won, the CTers would be wearing republican nametags, and sure enough, they are.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »
Please, knee pad boy.

Obama's sham plan only grows government jobs, not private sector jobs.  Your sorry ass buys into this nonsense and anyone with a brain knows this wont work. 

This disaster just props up states' welfare and education spending a little while longer before the total collapse happens.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
"obama wants to give some $"

I love how you make it seem like its no big deal.  Dude, this stimulus will cost us more than the whole war in Iraq.  You keep looking backward.  Bush wasted our $ in Iraq and Obama & Pelosi are wasting our tax dollars with this stimulus as well.  Both are wrong.  Move forward...you sound like a lib comparing everything to Bush.

Did you know that we still have 350billion from the TARP fund that Obama will spend and he is planning on asking for more $ now?  WTF?!?!  So, thats 1.6 trillion dollars on bailouts/spending + whatever additional funds obama will ask for for a further banking bailout.  People are ignoring the immense nature of this spending.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
wow... so many people here couldn't stop sucking neocock for the last 8 years, as dubya used trillions to fund wars and feed banks, lying to us all the time.

suddenly obama wants to give some $ - not to corps or war, but to create 3 million US jobs - and you're crying for a revolution.

1) You're talking out of your ass.  Pelosi, reid, and anyone else can do what they want, and you will not do shit.  I repeat.  You won't do shit but complain about it.

2) It's all partisan for you.  If Bush was writing this bill (which he essentially did, with the bank bailout, except for no jobs came of that trillion), you'd shrug it off.  Obama does it, and suddenly the sky is falling.

Shut up.  That's all.  STFU.  One in ten (or more) people are out of work in some parts of the country.  Obama's proposing a bill that will create jobs - and create them in alternatives to oil - at the same time.

Seriously, we always joked that when obama won, the CTers would be wearing republican nametags, and sure enough, they are.

Umm are you sure you're posting in the right thread?  What does your post have to do with the topic being discussed?

And if we had a show of hands of who approved of Bush's actions of late, I don't think you'd see very many hands.

So your post kinda just reads like a lot of pointless babbling.  Sorry.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

Stupid proposal. 

What we NEED on radio is more Common Sense talk. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2009, 01:00:26 PM »
Stupid proposal. 

What we NEED on radio is more Common Sense talk. 

We have plenty of it.  Savage, Lou Dobbs, Rush, Levin, Gambling, Sliwa, Glen Beck, Imus,

There are plenty of stations that focus on cooking, cleaning, travel, sports, health, etc.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
sorry, it pertained to a post on the first thread.  then i saw it derailed into this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
 ::)

Dems target right-wing talk radio
Posted: 11:08 AM ET

From CNN Radio's Dick Uliano

WASHINGTON (CNN) — More and more Democrats in Congress are calling for action that Republicans warn could muzzle right-wing talk radio.

Representative Maurice Hinchey, a Democrat from New York is the latest to say he wants to bring back the "Fairness Doctrine," a federal regulation scrapped in 1987 that would require broadcasters to present opposing views on public issues.

"I think the Fairness Doctrine should be reinstated," Hinchey told CNNRadio. Hinchey says he could make it part of a bill he plans to introduce later this year overhauling radio and t-v ownership laws.

Democratic Senators Debbie Stabenow of Michigan and Tom Harkin of Iowa added their voices recently to those calling for a return of the regulation.

Republicans oppose the Fairness Doctrine, arguing it would be wrong for the federal government to monitor political speech on the airwaves, in order to require opposing views.

Republican Congressman Greg Walden, a former owner of five radio stations in Oregon including a "classic rock" station joked that the Fairness Doctrine is "the musical equivalent" of "every time we'd play a classic rock song we'd have to play a polka!"

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/13/dems-target-right-wing-talk-radio/#more-39916

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
2010 is going to make 1994 look like nothnig the way these communists are going.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
Greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression and they're focusing on talk radio.
Y

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »
Greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression and they're focusing on talk radio.

Give em some time and they focus on abortion again.   Or steroids.   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »

3 million jobs?YOU SHUT THE F%%K UP.It will not create 10,000 jobs.Its a joke and a sham intended to expand government power.

The only thing we can do is buy our guns,buy our amo,and get ready for the government to try and take them away.Eventually people will get pissed off their money is being directed to scum bags and lazy unproductive pieces of crap and they will revolt.

Did you see those two f'n idiots question Obama the other day.We should pay for that old bags house and that fools benefits.Typical of Obama lazy ass good for nothing supporters.GIVE ME ,GIVE ME,GIVE ME.Hey,scum bags WORK FOR IT!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
Hopefully someday the majority radio stations will be owned by a handful of liberal leaning corporations and then they can play the same game that is currently happening in the DC marke and across the country. 

--------------------------------

Another Right-Wing Conspiracy in Washington?
By Bill Press
Sunday, February 8, 2009; B08

If you're looking for a break from those conservative voices that dominate talk radio, take time out today to listen to local station OBAMA 1260 AM. You'll hear the progressive voices of Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz, Lionel -- or, during morning drive, my own "Bill Press Show" -- providing welcome relief from the constant Obama-bashing by Rush Limbaugh and others. Unfortunately, today's the last day you'll be able to do so.

As reported by The Post [Style, Feb. 2], Dan Snyder's Red Zebra Broadcasting Co., owner of OBAMA 1260, has announced plans to jettison all progressive talk and replace it with pre-recorded financial advice programming.

The commercial use of public airwaves is supposed to reflect the diversity of the local community, but that's not how it works in Washington. On the AM dial, WMAL (630) features wall-to-wall conservative talk. So do stations WTNT (570) and WHFS (1580). For the past two years, OBAMA 1260 -- even with a weak signal that cannot be heard in downtown Washington -- was the exception. No longer. Starting tomorrow, our nation's capital, where Democrats control the House, the Senate and the White House, and where Democrats outnumber Republicans 10 to one, will have no progressive voices on the air.

Or maybe one.

To mollify critics, Red Zebra has said it will add Ed Schultz to its conservative lineup on 570 AM. This means Shultz will be outgunned in this market by at least 15 conservative talkers: Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin, Chris Plante, Michael Smerconish, Michael Savage, Andy Parks, Fred Grandy, Bill Bennett, Monica Crowley, Bill O'Reilly, Dennis Miller and Lars Larsen. No matter how good Schultz is, that's not a fair contest -- nor a fair use of the public airwaves.

Unfortunately, what's happening in Washington reflects what has happened in one city after another across the country. In Miami, Clear Channel recently dumped progressive talk for sports: Clear Channel stations made the same move in San Diego and Cincinnati. Sacramento abandoned progressive talk for gospel music. In fact, according to a study released by the Center for American Progress and Free Press, there are nine hours of conservative talk for every one hour of progressive talk.

Why? Station owners complain they can't get good ratings or make any money with progressive talk, but that's nonsense. In Minnesota, independent owner Janet Robert has operated KTNF (950 AM) profitably for five years. In Madison, Wis., WXXM, 92.1 FM, just scored its highest ratings ever. And KPOJ in Portland, Ore., soared with progressive talk from No. 23 in market ratings to No. 1. Nationwide, progressive talkers Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller have proven that, given a level playing field, they can more than hold their own in ratings -- and make money for their stations.

In fact, the only reason there's not more competition on American airwaves is that the handful of companies that own most radio stations do everything they can to block it. In many markets -- witness Philadelphia, Boston, Providence and Houston -- they join in providing no outlet for progressive talk. In others, as in Washington, they limit it to a weak signal, spend zero dollars on promotion and soon pull the plug.

Companies are given a license to operate public airwaves -- free! -- in order to make a profit, yes, but also, according to the terms of their FCC license, "to operate in the public interest and to afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views of issues of public importance." Stations are not operating in the public interest when they offer only conservative talk.

For years, the Fairness Doctrine prevented such abuse by requiring licensed stations to carry a mix of opinion. However, under pressure from conservatives, President Ronald Reagan's Federal Communications Commission canceled the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, insisting that in a free market, stations would automatically offer a balance in programming.

That experiment has failed. There is no free market in talk radio today, only an exclusive, tightly held, conservative media conspiracy. The few holders of broadcast licenses have made it clear they will not, on their own, serve the general public.. Maybe it's time to bring back the Fairness Doctrine -- and bring competition back to talk radio in Washington and elsewhere.

-- Bill Press

Washington

The writer, host of "The Bill Press Show," is working on a book about talk radio.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
It will go bankrupt like every other time liberal talk radio is tried.  Liberal talk radio is a failure EVERY time is has been tried.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
3 million jobs?YOU SHUT THE F%%K UP.It will not create 10,000 jobs.Its a joke and a sham intended to expand government power.

The only thing we can do is buy our guns,buy our amo,and get ready for the government to try and take them away.Eventually people will get pissed off their money is being directed to scum bags and lazy unproductive pieces of crap and they will revolt.

Did you see those two f'n idiots question Obama the other day.We should pay for that old bags house and that fools benefits.Typical of Obama lazy ass good for nothing supporters.GIVE ME ,GIVE ME,GIVE ME.Hey,scum bags WORK FOR IT!!!!

So no professionals or hard working people voted for Obama?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
So no professionals or hard working people voted for Obama?

No,they voted AGAINST BUSH!!!!Again,check out his followers everytime they speak.You can sum up their entire thinking in one word "gimme".

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »
WHY (according to Press's article) do big-market radio stations "do everything they can to block" what he refers to as "progressive talk"?

AGAIN, because his so-called "progressive talk" goes over with the American public like a lead balloon.  It turns people off.  It's horseshit.  And the radio stations, to their credit, have the good sense not to air it because it sure as hell won't pull in ratings.

If (as Straw Man suggested) someday the radio stations are "owned by a handful of liberal leaning corporations" and they attempt to air that crap, guess what will happen?  People will tune it out.  They just won't listen.  That's what has always happened and that's what always will happen.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »
Liberal talk radio is unlistenable because,  . . . . . .. radio requires listening and thinking.  Those two things and liberal talk radio dont mix.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
Liberal talk radio is unlistenable because,  . . . . . .. radio requires listening and thinking.  Those two things and liberal talk radio dont mix.

Seriously...  that Bill Press bozo is kidding himself if he thinks otherwise.

"Progressive Talk" would do well in very small markets in very limited areas.  Parts of San Fran, parts of Boulder, CO, I'm sure there are other small pockets of "progressives" (i.e. bleeding-heart libs) in other major metropolitan areas that would be interested in it.  But the mainstream public (especially the talk radio-listening public) can't and won't stomach it.

The people that the flaming lib ideology really appeals to, as a general rule AREN'T the ones listening to talk radio.  They're listening to hip-hop music stations and/or college stations that play that faggy bohemian cafe music crap and stuff like that.  Just sayin!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »
WHY (according to Press's article) do big-market radio stations "do everything they can to block" what he refers to as "progressive talk"?

AGAIN, because his so-called "progressive talk" goes over with the American public like a lead balloon.  It turns people off.  It's horseshit.  And the radio stations, to their credit, have the good sense not to air it because it sure as hell won't pull in ratings.

If (as Straw Man suggested) someday the radio stations are "owned by a handful of liberal leaning corporations" and they attempt to air that crap, guess what will happen?  People will tune it out.  They just won't listen.  That's what has always happened and that's what always will happen.

how did you read the article and yet completely miss the point?

The point is that the a handful of conservative corporations own the majority of the stations and don't make an equivalent effort with the progressive shows.  When a station gives the progressive shows the same level of marketing dollars, and strength of signal they do just fine. 

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »
When a station gives the progressive shows the same level of marketing dollars, and strength of signal they do just fine. 

LOL.  And then you woke up. 8)