Author Topic: Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio  (Read 5353 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
If you can't beat them, censor them.   ::)

Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio

Friday, February 6, 2009 10:36 AM

By: Jim Meyers 

Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow says she wants hearings on “accountability” in radio, suggesting Democrats are eying a return of the Fairness Doctrine.

During an interview with Stabenow, syndicated radio host Bill Press said conservatives should not be the only voices heard on talk radio and asked the Michigan lawmaker: “So, is it time to bring back the Fairness Doctrine?”

Stabenow responded: “I think it’s absolutely time to pass a standard. Now, whether it’s called the Fairness Standard, whether it’s called something else — I absolutely think it’s time to be bringing accountability to the airwaves.

“Our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.”

Press — former chairman of the California Democratic Party — asked: “Can we count on you to push for some hearings in the Senate this year, to bring these owners in and hold them accountable?”

Stabenow said: “I have already had some discussions with colleagues and, you know, I feel like that’s going to happen.”

Originally instituted in 1949 by the FCC, the Fairness Doctrine required broadcasters using the public airwaves to give equal time to opposing political views. The FCC repealed the measure in 1987.

Since talk radio is overwhelmingly dominated by conservative hosts, and liberal talk radio draws few listeners, the “equal time” provision would likely force many radio stations to pull popular conservative hosts from the air rather than air low-rated liberal hosts.

Michael Calderone of Politico.com, commenting on Stabenow’s remarks, wrote: “Although Obama has been publicly opposed to reinstating the Fairness Doctrine, conservative radio has talked nonstop about the fear of it returning (or perhaps something like it with another name) while there’s a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic majority in Congress.”

Bill Press wrote on his Web site: “I’m not a big fan of bringing back the Fairness Doctrine. But if station owners won’t act on their own to offer a mix of voices on the radio, this Congress and this new administration will find a way to force them to do so. And the sooner, the better.”

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/fairness_doctrine_radio/2009/02/06/179067.html

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Democrats Look to Muzzle Conservative Radio
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »
Incredible!!The reason that there is conservative talk radio is because it gets ratings and generates revenues.Liberal crap GETS NO RATINGS.All one need to do is look at Olberman.A total absolute failure.Look at AIR AMERICA.a TOTAL FAILURE.no one wants to hear liberal talk!!!THE PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO THE RADIO HAVE JOBS.THEY LISTEN ON THEIR WAY TO AND FROM WORK OR AT WORK.lIBERAL CONSTIUANTS DONT HAVE JOBS,THEREFORE NO ONE LISTENS.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
Incredible!!The reason that there is conservative talk radio is because it gets ratings and generates revenues.Liberal crap GETS NO RATINGS.All one need to do is look at Olberman.A total absolute failure.Look at AIR AMERICA.a TOTAL FAILURE.no one wants to hear liberal talk!!!THE PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO THE RADIO HAVE JOBS.THEY LISTEN ON THEIR WAY TO AND FROM WORK OR AT WORK.lIBERAL CONSTIUANTS DONT HAVE JOBS,THEREFORE NO ONE LISTENS.

From my cold dead ears!!!!!!!!!

BTW

WHY DOES LIBERAL TALK RADIO FAIL EVERY TIME?????

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »
Really?  They're beginning to sound and act more and more like Hugo Chavez...the dictator of Venezuela, not the mod here.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
Ditto what's been said already...  what kind of arrogant mental nutjob purports to tell the people what it is they want to listen to?  What utter bullshit.  Liberal talk radio has been an abysmal failure.  That's just the historical reality.

Let's suppose Sen. Stabenow gets her way and conservative talk show hosts get pulled from stations and/or replaced with more liberal hosts...  guess what?  Nobody will listen to them and everybody loses--the radio stations and the listeners.

Bill Press wants "a mix of voices on the radio"?  Whatever!  People are going to listen to what they want to listen to.  If they don't like it, they won't listen.  What's next--are they going to require stations to play a mix of music too?  A rock song followed by a rap tune followed by a country tune followed by some polka music followed by Beethoven's 5th?  I mean really, WTF.

Bad idea.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
Sounds like double speak:   

1.  He's publicly opposed to re-instating the Farness doctrine
2.  “Our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.”

I think you conservatives are starting to acts like many libs did 2 years ago.

Who gives a shit about what some Dem senator or congressmen says.  BFD.  No need to get you panties in bundle until till there's a actual move.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
Sounds like double speak:   

1.  He's publicly opposed to re-instating the Farness doctrine
2.  “Our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.”

I think you conservatives are starting to acts like many libs did 2 years ago.

Who gives a shit about what some Dem senator or congressmen says.  BFD.  No need to get you panties in bundle until till there's a actual move.

When a democrat talks about it will be attempted.Watch and see that half wit John Conyers try and push through reperations for blacks.I pray he does and it passes.You will finally see whites say "enough" and take to the streets with guns.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
When a democrat talks about it will be attempted.Watch and see that half wit John Conyers try and push through reperations for blacks.I pray he does and it passes.You will finally see whites say "enough" and take to the streets with guns.

You won't see any of that happen.

alarmist thinking.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

Oh boy. 

I will say, Obama and Pelosi at a minimum are going to cause civil unrest if they keep it up. 

They are a complete disaster.  Bush screwed up, but these two take incompetent to a whole new level.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »

alarmist thinking.

Want to bet?I bet that the fairness doctrine will be passed by the end of the summer.

I also bet that John Conyers starte his reperations talk in about 4 or 5 months.He has been talking about it for years,now they own the house.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »

alarmist thinking.

Obama is letting Pelosi run the show.  She is capable of anything. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Obama is letting Pelosi run the show.  She is capable of anything. 

No, while Pelosi is a rotten piece of work, she is not running the show, she is running her mouth because the president belongs to the same political party as she does and can't exactly tell the woman to shut her pie hole that same way a republican president could.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
No, while Pelosi is a rotten piece of work, she is not running the show, she is running her mouth because the president belongs to the same political party as she does and can't exactly tell the woman to shut her pie hole that same way a republican president could.

She wrote the pork bill and ZERO is left to defend it.

He should NEVER have let her write that bill in the first place.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »

She wrote that assanine stimulous package that silly ass Obama pimped last night.He takes orders from her and Reid.They say "jump" he says "HOW HIGH MASTER JONES".

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
She wrote that assanine stimulous package that silly ass Obama pimped last night.He takes orders from her and Reid.They say "jump" he says "HOW HIGH MASTER JONES".

Ha ha.  Read my post.  We said the same thing.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »

This whole bail crap and stimulus packages are not cool.  I heard on the radio this morning that in the rush to "bail out" AIG, the bush admin spent 40 billion on AIG assests that turned out to be only worth 15 billion.

I fear similar things are a foot in this administration.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
This whole bail crap and stimulus packages are not cool.  I heard on the radio this morning that in the rush to "bail out" AIG, the bush admin spent 40 billion on AIG assests that turned out to be only worth 15 billion.

I fear similar things are a foot in this administration.

Look I was not for TARP during GWB and see that Obama is doing the same thing as GWB did:

"FEAR"
"PANIC"
"WORLD IS COMING TO AN END"

I dont fear poverty.  I fear tyranny and slavery.

Of course this money will all be wasted.

This is like spending $4,000 on a bottle of wine on your credit card.  Sure you get a good and quick buzxz, but you are stuck with the bill LONG AFTER THE BUZZ WEARS OFF!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »
Let the Nazis spew their propaganda.  That's not the problem, stupid people are the problem.  We just need to get our education system up to par and stop turning out idiots who fall for shitfilled propaganda.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
Yep, Bush et al were wrong about the TARP stimulus and Pelosi/Obama et al are wrong about this spendapoluza.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »
From my cold dead ears!!!!!!!!!

BTW

WHY DOES LIBERAL TALK RADIO FAIL EVERY TIME?????

It's not failing, it's doing pretty good for having zero ground in the market 8 years ago.  Keep in mind that liberals will also tune into nazi radio to hear what you guys are saying but conservatives proudly refuse and plug their ears to anything left on the dial.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
Yep, Bush et al were wrong about the TARP stimulus and Pelosi/Obama et al are wrong about this spendapoluza.

Why is this a Bush bill.Bush signed it but Pelosi rammed it through.Dont you remember her jackass speech and that the republicans didnt vote for it at first.It wasnt a Bush bill,it was a Pelosi Bush bill.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
It's not failing, it's doing pretty good for having zero ground in the market 8 years ago.  Keep in mind that liberals will also tune into nazi radio to hear what you guys are saying but conservatives proudly refuse and plug their ears to anything left on the dial.

Air America went bankrupt untill Soros stepped in.Olbermans ratings are a laughingstock.Rush gets more listeners in a half an hour then Olberman will get in 6 months combined.

By the way,conservatives arent Nazis.I know you communist liberals love to throw out names,but I dont know many conservatives calling for the extermination of Jews.Now,I will admit that Im more on the Nazi side of things and actually support much of what the president of Iran wants in terms of Isreal,but the others here and the guys who listen to talk radio think much differently then me.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

The only NAZI's I see are the ones on the left looking to merge government and big business through nationalization.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
Air America went bankrupt untill Soros stepped in.Olbermans ratings are a laughingstock.Rush gets more listeners in a half an hour then Olberman will get in 6 months combined.

By the way,conservatives arent Nazis.I know you communist liberals love to throw out names,but I dont know many conservatives calling for the extermination of Jews.Now,I will admit that Im more on the Nazi side of things and actually support much of what the president of Iran wants in terms of Isreal,but the others here and the guys who listen to talk radio think much differently then me.
You clearly know a lot about this, Olbermann isn't even on the radio.  Rush does not get more listeners than Olbermann gets viewers in that time.  haha.  Yes I know about air america but as I said, considering they came from having zero space in the market 8 years ago if you look at the space programs like Ed Schultz and many others have now, it's hardly what I would lable a failure.  That's a lot of ground gained in the radio market in that timeframe.  Pointing out that there were problems when they started from nothing is like mocking a baby for falling when they start to walk.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
The only NAZI's I see are the ones on the left looking to merge government and big business through nationalization.
hahahaha...  If you're worried about the merging of government and big business, you are seriously one clueless mofo blaming all that on the left.  You have some serious learning to do youngone.