Author Topic: should you lower carb intake as you get older?  (Read 707 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
should you lower carb intake as you get older?
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
just curious as it seems no matter how long you've been lifting or what shape you are, the body's metabolism slows down as you age, you can delay it or slow it down by being in great physical shape, but nevertheless, the body's metabolism does slow down right?

or is this a myth? or a fact only for the sedentary population?

i'm now in my early 40's, starting to hit the weights again hard after a few years of not working out, and also doing a bit of cardio.

everywhere i read you (are supposed to?) eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of weight and usually more so like up to 1.5 grams of protein per pound ...

and carbs should be even more? up to 2 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight?

right now i'm 220 and have a little bit of a pooch maybe around 15 percent body fat or so.

wanted to (eventually) get to around 235 to 240 and of course lower the bodyfat. eating very strictly and yes i take supplements including some pro-hormones.

so should i still continue to eat more carbs than protein even at my age and as i get older for bodybuilding purposes? should i zig zag the carbs on my busy days and my off days?

thanks in advance for the replies

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: should you lower carb intake as you get older?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »

Older or not, carbs are not a necessity.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
older individuals are generally less capable of maintaining low body fat with high carb intake.

Christopher Belinksky

• Getbig III
  • The Coach loves sticky studs!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:19:27 AM »
you should lower your caloric intake as you get older, but not by much, 10-20 calories a year, and if you weight train
and don't lose your muscle it will be even lower, metabolism slowing down is highly over rated IMO, it's just an excuse
for people to stay out of shape, they give up and say they are old and can't do it no more.
It's not true you can still be ripped and 80 years old.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »
just curious as it seems no matter how long you've been lifting or what shape you are, the body's metabolism slows down as you age, you can delay it or slow it down by being in great physical shape, but nevertheless, the body's metabolism does slow down right?

or is this a myth? or a fact only for the sedentary population?

i'm now in my early 40's, starting to hit the weights again hard after a few years of not working out, and also doing a bit of cardio.

everywhere i read you (are supposed to?) eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of weight and usually more so like up to 1.5 grams of protein per pound ...

and carbs should be even more? up to 2 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight?

right now i'm 220 and have a little bit of a pooch maybe around 15 percent body fat or so.

wanted to (eventually) get to around 235 to 240 and of course lower the bodyfat. eating very strictly and yes i take supplements including some pro-hormones.

so should i still continue to eat more carbs than protein even at my age and as i get older for bodybuilding purposes? should i zig zag the carbs on my busy days and my off days?

thanks in advance for the replies

I think you should cut carbs as you get older.

I am 38 yrs old and it seems over the last few years I have cut out most carbs I have had alot of succes losing weight. Around 2001 I was nearly 400 pounds and now I am down to 225 and I simply cut out just carbs.  Typical days menu would look like this:

Breakfast  - 2 whole wheat,low carb wraps with 4 scrambled eggs( 2 eggs per wrap) with salsa topping and water to drink plus supps.

snack - 1/2 cup almonds, bottle of water

Lunch - grilled chicken ceasar salad and water

snack Almonds and water

workout 7-8 pm

Dinner - 1 pound London broil steak and large salad and water and supps.