Author Topic: Korean bodybuilder squatting 3x350kg/780pounds raw  (Read 7138 times)

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
Korean bodybuilder squatting 3x350kg/780pounds raw
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:37:51 AM »
Little bit sceptical about this.  :-\

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Re: Korean bodybuilder squatting 3x350kg/780pounds raw
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:18:23 AM »
That's pretty damn impressive!

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:22:55 AM »
If it were real plates, then yes. I highly doubt it though.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »
looks legit to me because of the way the bar moves but who knows, also who can tell how much weight that really is with those stupid colored plates.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
Little bit sceptical about this.  :-\

Probably the most impressive raw squat feat I've seen together with Aranda's 638 for two reps @ 175 lbs
As empty as paradise

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
Do you think it's legit hedge? I don't see some korean bodybuilder outsquatting guys like Stefan Botev for some reason.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
Do you think it's legit hedge? I don't see some korean bodybuilder outsquatting guys like Stefan Botev for some reason.

He got a solid technique. May be a former Olympic lifter himself.

As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
I wouldnt question anything about that video. The only possibility is that he has "groove briefs" on but they dont help that much if at all.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
That video has been circulating the internet for a while now.   I think its a video done to make it look like that guy is squatting alot more than he really is.  

A couple of things just don't seem right to me.  First off, I can't see collars on that bar.  If you load a standard 1000 lb capacity olympic bar with 45 or 50 lb plates that full, the plates will slide off the end of the bar due to the weight of the plate and the whip while you squat, especially with that degree of bar flex.    Those plates hardly separated.   The only way I've seen that happen is with a bar using those plastic/plastic coated olympic lifting plates that are all of the same diameter.  

Second, some people say its heavy becuase of the bar flex.  I've worked out at some commercial gyms where you can get that much bar flex with only 315 on the bar beause the bars are pieces of shit.  To think the weight is heavy becasue the bar is bending doesnt mean anything without knowing what kind of bar that is.   Shit, I know of a Golds Gym where they purposefully got "lighter" bars so that the gym members would think they are squatting more because the bar bent as they squatted.  

Third, those are supposedly Ivanko plates based on the comments below the video.... I can't for the life of me see the groove that all of the Ivanko plates i've ever seen/use have on the 25 kg plates.  I also am not aware of Ivanko producing "gripper" plates like those are.   I've tried and tried to read the weight on the inside of the let plate.  I can't do it.   Ivanko plates can be read from several feet away, even wiht shitty video.    I don't think they are the plates that others thinks they are, so who knows what they really are.

4th, the spotter is damend close to that guy lifting.   He could practically be helping wiht the lift as close as he is and how he's hanging on.  If you watch his calf flexion, it seems to be quite a bit, but that could just be the individual.  

Finally, look at the lifter himself.  Thats thought to be over 700 lbs.  Think of the lifters that size who've lifted 700+ lbs in competition.   At the end of the set, they look like they've lifted over 700 lbs.    Their faces are red, veins are bulging, they are shaking., they are sweatting.  He does three reps, then stands up and walks the weight in like it was no big deal.  That alone makes me really doubt the weight in this video.    I'd believe 315 to 350 pounds way before I'd believe 350 kg.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »
That video has been circulating the internet for a while now.   I think its a video done to make it look like that guy is squatting alot more than he really is.  

A couple of things just don't seem right to me.  First off, I can't see collars on that bar.  If you load a standard 1000 lb capacity olympic bar with 45 or 50 lb plates that full, the plates will slide off the end of the bar due to the weight of the plate and the whip while you squat, especially with that degree of bar flex.    Those plates hardly separated.   The only way I've seen that happen is with a bar using those plastic/plastic coated olympic lifting plates that are all of the same diameter.  We have Eleikos that the rubber actaully touches the bar slightly which makes them stay on better. No collars needed unless doing multiple reps of clean and press. They are very tight on our bars.

Second, some people say its heavy becuase of the bar flex.  I've worked out at some commercial gyms where you can get that much bar flex with only 315 on the bar beause the bars are pieces of shit.  To think the weight is heavy becasue the bar is bending doesnt mean anything without knowing what kind of bar that is.   Shit, I know of a Golds Gym where they purposefully got "lighter" bars so that the gym members would think they are squatting more because the bar bent as they squatted. I have never seen a bar bend like that, even the cheapest one from sports authority, with anything less than 400lbs. I cant imagine they would have such a weak bar and bumper plates made to hit the floor. The bar woud bend up immediatley when dropped.  

Third, those are supposedly Ivanko plates based on the comments below the video.... I can't for the life of me see the groove that all of the Ivanko plates i've ever seen/use have on the 25 kg plates.  I also am not aware of Ivanko producing "gripper" plates like those are.   I've tried and tried to read the weight on the inside of the let plate.  I can't do it.   Ivanko plates can be read from several feet away, even wiht shitty video.    I don't think they are the plates that others thinks they are, so who knows what they really are.

4th, the spotter is damend close to that guy lifting.   He could practically be helping wiht the lift as close as he is and how he's hanging on.  If you watch his calf flexion, it seems to be quite a bit, but that could just be the individual. This is true but he couldnt be helping too much right?

Finally, look at the lifter himself.  Thats thought to be over 700 lbs.  Think of the lifters that size who've lifted 700+ lbs in competition.   At the end of the set, they look like they've lifted over 700 lbs.    Their faces are red, veins are bulging, they are shaking., they are sweatting.  He does three reps, then stands up and walks the weight in like it was no big deal.  That alone makes me really doubt the weight in this video.    I'd believe 315 to 350 pounds way before I'd believe 350 kg. You cant see his face though. You catch a glimpse and then its on the rack.

Im not sure I see any reason to doubt this video unless he had fake plates and the weakest bar ever made? And if the bar was that weak I would think it would just fold rather than bounce like that.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »
If you pause it at 58 secs you can see 5 blue plates at 20kg,one red at 25 kg and 4 green plates which are 10kg each to make the total of 350 kg.If the red plate on the end is the rubber type they are a pain in the arse to slide on,so that might account for why they don`t all slide off.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Im not sure I see any reason to doubt this video

My reason to doubt it is because guys like Rezazadeh and Koklyaev have backsquat 1rm's of 390kg and 360kg, and they are probably at least 100 pounds heavier than this guy.
3x350 gives you a max of roughly 370-380.

I'm not buying it.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
My reason to doubt it is because guys like Rezazadeh and Kolkyaev have a backsquat 1rm's of 390kg and 360kg, and they are probably at least 100 pounds heavier than this guy.
3x350 gives you a max of roughly 370-380.

I'm not buying it.

How much does this Korean guy weigh? He seems tall for a Korean so he may be packing some weight on that frame.

Who knows? It could be fake but I dont see anything that proves it.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 12:03:23 AM »
If you pause it at 58 secs you can see 5 blue plates at 20kg,one red at 25 kg and 4 green plates which are 10kg each to make the total of 350 kg.If the red plate on the end is the rubber type they are a pain in the arse to slide on,so that might account for why they don`t all slide off.

No, I see 5 blue plates, one orange, and 4 green.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I absolutely cannot make out the writing on the inside of that one blue plate.  Without being able to see the writing, its an assumption.   I will agree that those could be Ivanko rubberized plates, although again, I don't see the groove on the plate you see with those plates. 

Assuming these are Ivanko bumper plates, the only blue bumper plates Ivanko makes that I'm aware of are these:  http://64.49.237.187/URLrewrite.asp?404;http://store.sorinex.com:80/Ivanko_Bumper_35lb_Blue_p/obp-35b.htm&Redirected=Y

The only green bumper plates I'm aware of are these:  http://64.49.237.187/URLrewrite.asp?404;http://store.sorinex.com:80/10_lb_Bumper_Plates_pair_Green_p/drc-10.htm&Redirected=Y

So figuring that, he's got 5 blue plates at 35 lbs:  175 lbs + 4 greens @ 10 lbs or 40 lbs and that orange plate.  Assume thats a 5 lbr.  you've got 175 + 40 + 5 or 220 lbs per side. 

That'd put the weight at 440 + 45 or 485.  A much, much more believeable weight than 700+ thats being claimed.     

I just don't believe it based on what I've posted.  I'll buy around 500 lbs.  Anything more than that and you are going ot have to give me more proof.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »
How much does this Korean guy weigh? He seems tall for a Korean so he may be packing some weight on that frame.

Who knows? It could be fake but I dont see anything that proves it.

Just as a reference about your comment on bar whip.  I have an ~12 year old Weider bar (the one that came with the 300 lb olympic set from Sears) that whips like that when I'm doing DE squats with 315.  It whips so bad, I refuse to do anything with it but curls.  Its a pure unadulterated piece of shit. 

We've also got two bars--I dont' know the brand, they are unmarked, in the gym I regularly lift in that whip with just a couple of plates  on the end.  I consider them unsafe for anything over 315 because of the degree of bar whip they have.   

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »
Over here in England the colours are red =25kg,blue=20kg,yellow=15kg,green =10kg.Which would amount to the 350kg it says on the video.
The end plate could be either red or orange,but it looks as thick as the other plates,and at that circumference it looks a lot heavier than 5lbs.
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/olympic_weight_plates/bodypower_apollo_usa_deluxe_rubber_chrome_olympic_plates/6320_p.html

The one thing that does look suspect is how much help is he getting from the spotter.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
Those obviously aren't the same plates.  Look at the center of the plate---there is no metal center.  Again, those Ivanko plates are the only ones I know of that appear to be solid rubber without a metal center. 

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
Hard to believe :P
S