Author Topic: Michael Phelps  (Read 11053 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Michael Phelps
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
I'm not "attacking the messenger", beach.  I think you go on moral crusades when it suits you.  The kid smoked some pot and someone took a picture of it.  He apologized and his main sponsors decided that they wanted to continue paying him their own money to represent them.  The vast majority of people who have been commenting on this issue agree that it's just not that big of a deal.  Your ideals and insinuations are unrealistic and ridiculous.  Why would the kid give up his endorsements?  Again, that is for the companies who pay him to decide.

The Colt issue that I brought up has everything to do with your inconsistent opinion of Mike Phelps.  You're a huge fan of Colt Brennen...a guy who was kicked off the CU team for getting drunk, breaking into a woman's dorm room (and allegedly) doing some pretty disgusting things.  According to the story posted, Colt was forced to spend one week in jail, cop a plea deal, he was put on probation, expelled from CU and he was kicked off the football team.  The newspaper that first reported this story had Brennen allegedly fondling and exposing himself to the young women who accused him of rape. Further more, your boy Jevon Bass was recruited out of prison! He stole someones car and caught a 15 month bid before he came to UH.  Your own coach admits that he recruits players from JAIL.  Hypocrisy!  You make excuses and ignore the past of your UH guys, but you rip Phelps for smoking a little weed.  Come on.

Brennen Story
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92490-the-truth-about-colt-brennan

(The charges that were reported in the original news story can be found on Colts wikpedia page)

A qoute from the USA today story in the link provided:

The three best players I've had in this program were Pisa Tinoisamoa (now a linebacker with the St. Louis Rams), Colt Brennan and Davone Bess, and I recruited all three of them from jail," Jones says. "We can't get a kid like that to come to Hawaii. If a kid like that doesn't have legal trouble, he's going to USC or Colorado or somewhere."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2007-12-20-hawaii-football_N.htm

Fascinated with the UH football program are we?   :)  Of course you're attacking the messenger.  For example, I could say you'd probably be all over Michael Phelps if he kicked his dog instead of getting a DUI and smoking pot.  But what would that have to do with Phelps?  Let me address the red herrings before getting back to the real issue (Phelps). 

1.  You said Colt "fondled" a woman, “exposed” himself, and did some "disgusting" things, and was accused of "rape."  Are you just going to keep making things up as you go along?  Colt went into a girl's room while drunk and refused to leave when he was asked.  That's it.  Here are the facts:  "Brennan was convicted of first-degree criminal trespass and second-degree burglary, but was acquitted of charges of sexual assault and indecent exposure."   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2664279    That was five years ago.   ::)  Now what did he do after that five-year-old incident?  He had a great year at Saddleback JC, became one of the most prolific QBs in NCAA history at UH, sacrificed his first-round draft status and millions to help UH get to a "BCS" bowl game, got his degree, was a model citizen in Hawaii, got drafted, and will be a good NFL QB.  And none of this has anything to do with Michael Phelps. 

2.  Regarding "Jevon Bass," he didn't steal anything.  He was in a car with someone else who stole something.  He was also a minor.  Went to a juvenile detention center, lost his Oregon State scholarship, and learned a very valuable lesson.  What did he do after this years-old incident?  He came to UH, was a team leader, became an All-American, started in the NFL as a rookie FA, and will have a long NFL career (barring injury).  And none of this has anything to do with Michael Phelps.

3.  Pisa??  Do I even need to go there?  lol.   ::)

4.  Now back to the issue of Michael Phelps, you should take a few minutes and watch the link I posted earlier in the thread.  Former Olympic gold medalist Janet Evans summarizes what I think about Phelps.  Feel free to try and shift her comments to some other athlete, who else she supports, etc.  Maybe she is a fan of someone who was convicted of jaywalking five years ago.   :)     http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/02/09/pn.phelps.loses.endorsement.cnn

body88

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
Fascinated with the UH football program are we?     Of course you're attacking the messenger.  For example, I could say you'd probably be all over Michael Phelps if he kicked his dog instead of getting a DUI and smoking pot.  But what would that have to do with Phelps?  Let me address the red herrings before getting back to the real issue (Phelps).
No I am showing that you make excuses for a program the recruits athletes from jail, yet hop on the soap box when a guy gets caught hitting a bong.  It's hypocritical.  I wouldn't call for Mike Phelps to be kicked out of his sport and to lose his sponsorships for kicking a dog, thats just crazy talk.

1.  You said Colt "fondled" a woman, “exposed” himself, and did some "disgusting" things, and was accused of "rape."  Are you just going to keep making things up as you go along?  Colt went into a girl's room while drunk and refused to leave when he was asked.  That's it.  Here are the facts:  "Brennan was convicted of first-degree criminal trespass and second-degree burglary, but was acquitted of charges of sexual assault and indecent exposure."   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2664279    That was five years ago.     Now what did he do after that five-year-old incident?  He had a great year at Saddleback JC, became one of the most prolific QBs in NCAA history at UH, sacrificed his first-round draft status and millions to help UH get to a "BCS" bowl game, got his degree, was a model citizen in Hawaii, got drafted, and will be a good NFL QB.  And none of this has anything to do with Michael Phelps.
I said it was reported that Colt did the things you just listed.  I also said that was according to his wikpedia page and the original story printed by that Colorado paper that broke the story.  The point is this: Brennen was punished for a crime, he accepted a plea to get out of the sexual assault chargers and he was expelled from a major football program.  His coach recruited him from JAIL, ha-ha.  Again, you ignore this, make excuses for him and then rip Mike Phelps for getting a dui.  This has everything to do with your view on Phelps.  You're a hypocrite....I agree with you a lot but not this time.  My point has everything to do with your views on Phelps.  Look at the last few sentences of your paragraph above.  It looks like one long excuse.....yet you want Mike Phelps banned from his sport for getting a picture of him smoking a little pot  ::)

2.  Regarding "Jevon Bass," he didn't steal anything.  He was in a car with someone else who stole something.  He was also a minor.  Went to a juvenile detention center, lost his Oregon State scholarship, and learned a very valuable lesson.  What did he do after this years-old incident?  He came to UH, was a team leader, became an All-American, started in the NFL as a rookie FA, and will have a long NFL career (barring injury).  And none of this has anything to do with Michael Phelps.
Again, you are making excuses for a person who you like that was convicted of a crime, but ripping Phelps for getting a DUI. Why didn't you call for Bass to be expelled from the NCAA after he was put in jail?  Why can't Phelps take what happened to him and do the same positive things that Bass did?  This has everything to do with your opinion on Phelps.  Once again, you make excuses and defend the actions of a guy like Bass, then you go rip Phelps.  more proof of your hypocritical biased opinion.

4.  Now back to the issue of Michael Phelps, you should take a few minutes and watch the link I posted earlier in the thread.  Former Olympic gold medalist Janet Evans summarizes what I think about Phelps.  Feel free to try and shift her comments to some other athlete, who else she supports, etc.  Maybe she is a fan of someone who was convicted of jaywalking five years ago.        http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/02/09/pn.phelps.loses.endorsement.cnn

You make excuses for guys like Colt Brennen and Bass, then you go rip Phelps for something he didn't even go to jail for.  You're a hypocrite regarding this issue, plain and simple.  You keep telling me that bringing up UH, some of your ex criminal players and their past run-ins with the law have nothing to do with Phelps, but in reality I am dong this to show that you are inconsistant with your beliefs regarding honor, the law and being a good role model.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
No I am showing that you make excuses for a program the recruits athletes from jail, yet hop on the soap box when a guy gets caught hitting a bong.  It's hypocritical.  I wouldn't call for Mike Phelps to be kicked out of his sport and to lose his sponsorships for kicking a dog, thats just crazy talk.
I said it was reported that Colt did the things you just listed.  I also said that was according to his wikpedia page and the original story printed by that Colorado paper that broke the story.  The point is this: Brennen was punished for a crime, he accepted a plea to get out of the sexual assault chargers and he was expelled from a major football program.  His coach recruited him from JAIL, ha-ha.  Again, you ignore this, make excuses for him and then rip Mike Phelps for getting a dui.  This has everything to do with your view on Phelps.  You're a hypocrite....I agree with you a lot but not this time.  My point has everything to do with your views on Phelps.  Look at the last few sentences of your paragraph above.  It looks like one long excuse.....yet you want Mike Phelps banned from his sport for getting a picture of him smoking a little pot  ::)
Again, you are making excuses for a person who you like that was convicted of a crime, but ripping Phelps for getting a DUI. Why didn't you call for Bass to be expelled from the NCAA after he was put in jail?  Why can't Phelps take what happened to him and do the same positive things that Bass did?  This has everything to do with your opinion on Phelps.  Once again, you make excuses and defend the actions of a guy like Bass, then you go rip Phelps.  more proof of your hypocritical biased opinion.

You make excuses for guys like Colt Brennen and Bass, then you go rip Phelps for something he didn't even go to jail for.  You're a hypocrite regarding this issue, plain and simple.  You keep telling me that bringing up UH, some of your ex criminal players and their past run-ins with the law have nothing to do with Phelps, but in reality I am dong this to show that you are inconsistant with your beliefs regarding honor, the law and being a good role model.

{sigh}  I give up.  The issue isn't me, or Colt Brennan, or "Jevon Bass."  It's Michael Phelps.  I don't care if you think I'm a hypocrite.  I'm not the one who put other people's lives in danger by driving drunk.  I'm not the one who smoked pot or had my picture taken while smoking pot.  My face isn't on a cereal box.  I'm not the most celebrated athlete in the country.  I'm not on a world stage.  I'm not appearing in numerous TV commercials.  But I know you really want to talk about me.  That's okay.   :)       

And speaking of hypocrites, you think Michael Vick should be banned from the NFL, etc. because he abused dogs, yet you have no problem with a guy who put humans' lives in danger by driving drunk?  Hypocrite.  (Yes, a red herring, but I couldn't resist.) 

As I said, take some time to review what Janet Evans has to say.  I've posted the link twice. 

body88

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 05:54:13 AM »
{sigh}  I give up.  The issue isn't me, or Colt Brennan, or "Jevon Bass."  It's Michael Phelps.  I don't care if you think I'm a hypocrite.  I'm not the one who put other people's lives in danger by driving drunk.  I'm not the one who smoked pot or had my picture taken while smoking pot.  My face isn't on a cereal box.  I'm not the most celebrated athlete in the country.  I'm not on a world stage.  I'm not appearing in numerous TV commercials.  But I know you really want to talk about me.  That's okay.
It's very simple beach, you rip Phelps for getting caught smoking some weed, but you praise guys like Colt Brennen and Jevon Bass who are convicted criminals.  You talk about what a great program UH is, but they recruit their players from jail.  Does your kid look up to the UH players like thousands of other kids on the island?  If so, your moral highground is not only hypocritical it's selective and unfair. You're dodging my point.  That's ok...I made it clear.  You try to make it seem like I am making this issue about Colt and Jevon, but clearly I am not.  I am showing how you rip a guy like Mike Phelps when it suits you, but you ignore the criminal past of guys like Colt Brennen and Jevon Bass.  Why is that?  It's ok for UH to put criminals on the field and you have no problem with your kid rooting for them, but you want Mike Phelps to be banned from his sport and to lose all his sponserships for smoking some grass.

And speaking of hypocrites, you think Michael Vick should be banned from the NFL, etc. because he abused dogs, yet you have no problem with a guy who put humans' lives in danger by driving drunk?  Hypocrite.  (Yes, a red herring, but I couldn't resist.) 

Not only does this not make sense.....it's where I believe you have conceded the argument.  Mike Vick not only abused and fought dogs for years, he tortured and killed them.  He beat them to death, shot them and drown them for not performing well in fights.  He also put family pets in the ring with fighting dogs to get a laugh.  All that is well documented.  I'm sorry, but I fail to see the similarities with that and Mike Phelps getting a DUI.  Of course Phelps could have hurt someone, but he didn't.  Vick did hurt the animals in question.  He hurt them bad.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:03 AM »
These actions by Phelps will surely make his next book REALLY good.   ;D
Squishy face retard

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
So...

Colt Brennen was convicted of first trespassing and second degree burgulry.

Michael Phelps had a DUI and was photographed smoking weed. 

Again I say:  So what?

Yes BB, Michael's face shouldn't be on a cereal box, but if a parent influences his children less than a person on a cereal box, then if it wasn't the cereal box that spurred them to smoke weed it would have been something else.

Kellog did the right thing.

The Major football programs that rejected Colt did the right thing.

The bottom line is:  BFD, Neither ended as a violent crime or theft.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
It's very simple beach, you rip Phelps for getting caught smoking some weed, but you praise guys like Colt Brennen and Jevon Bass who are convicted criminals.  You talk about what a great program UH is, but they recruit their players from jail.  Does your kid look up to the UH players like thousands of other kids on the island?  If so, your moral highground is not only hypocritical it's selective and unfair. You're dodging my point.  That's ok...I made it clear.  You try to make it seem like I am making this issue about Colt and Jevon, but clearly I am not.  I am showing how you rip a guy like Mike Phelps when it suits you, but you ignore the criminal past of guys like Colt Brennen and Jevon Bass.  Why is that?  It's ok for UH to put criminals on the field and you have no problem with your kid rooting for them, but you want Mike Phelps to be banned from his sport and to lose all his sponserships for smoking some grass.

Not only does this not make sense.....it's where I believe you have conceded the argument.  Mike Vick not only abused and fought dogs for years, he tortured and killed them.  He beat them to death, shot them and drown them for not performing well in fights.  He also put family pets in the ring with fighting dogs to get a laugh.  All that is well documented.  I'm sorry, but I fail to see the similarities with that and Mike Phelps getting a DUI.  Of course Phelps could have hurt someone, but he didn't.  Vick did hurt the animals in question.  He hurt them bad.

Colt's legal trouble happened when he was 18, before he became a celebrated athlete.  He has since become a model citizen.  Bess was a minor when he served time in a juvenile detention center and has since become a model citizen.  Pisa was in trouble as a minor and has since become a model citizen and one of the best LBs in the NFL.  Phelps was already on the world stage when he committed his crime.  Apples and oranges. 

I'm actually very proud of Colt and Davone.  Terrific young men.  They're living up to their responsibilities as role models.  While Phelps has been off putting people's lives in danger and smoking pot, Colt and Davone were recently in Hawaii to participate in a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Hawai'i benefit fundraiser.  http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090203/SPORTS04/902030351/1032  I'll take the two convicted criminals over the drunk driving pothead any day of the week.  :)

And you have to look at what I've said about Phelps.  He's incredibly dumb.  Incredibly irresponsible.  And he should lose his endorsements.  I didn't say he should suffer a career ending injury or never be allowed to swim again.  I said he should earn them back in four years.  That's actually very consistent with my views on Colt, Davone, and Pisa, all of whom redeemed themselves after making bad decisions as kids. 

You, on the other hand, don't believe in redemption if someone abuses dogs.  You have no problem with an athlete putting people's lives in danger by driving drunk or violating state and federal drug laws, but let a guy abuse dogs and he is the antichrist.  Even after a person makes a mistake, loses all of his endorsements, is fired from his job, becomes a pariah, and goes to federal prison, you say things like this:

Hopefully he has a career ending injury the day he steps back on the field, scumbag.

Imo that pile of trash should never have the luxury of putting on pads again. Imo playing as a pro athlete is a privilege.  If Vick had just fought dogs I would think he was a scumbag, but I would be an advocate for him getting a second chance if he was rehabilitated.  What gets me is the smashing of puppies skulls with rocks and the torturing of animals. That piece of shit should have the same things done to him.

Yes you're right. Hopefully he has his career ended after making a big comeback.

Hypocrite.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
So...

Colt Brennen was convicted of first trespassing and second degree burgulry.

Michael Phelps had a DUI and was photographed smoking weed. 

Again I say:  So what?

Yes BB, Michael's face shouldn't be on a cereal box, but if a parent influences his children less than a person on a cereal box, then if it wasn't the cereal box that spurred them to smoke weed it would have been something else.

Kellog did the right thing.

The Major football programs that rejected Colt did the right thing.

The bottom line is:  BFD, Neither ended as a violent crime or theft.

Colt deserved to be kicked off the Colorado football team.  Has nothing to do with Phelps though. 

We agree about Phelps not being on cereal boxes.  I also agree that parents should teach their kids that athletes are not role models.  But that's not reality.  I teach my kids the same thing, but then they are bombarded with images, jerseys, commercials, memorabilia . . . and a father who is a rabid sports fan.   :)

Did you listen to Janet Evans' comments?  Body is plugging his ears.   :)  She is right. 

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/02/09/pn.phelps.loses.endorsement.cnn

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
These actions by Phelps will surely make his next book REALLY good.   ;D

Cha ching.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »
Colt deserved to be kicked off the Colorado football team.  Has nothing to do with Phelps though. 

We agree about Phelps not being on cereal boxes.  I also agree that parents teach their kids that athletes are not role models.  But that's not reality.  I teach my kids the same thing, but then they are bombarded with images, jerseys, commercials, memorabilia . . . and a father who is a rabid sports fan.   :)

Did you listen to Janet Evans' comments?  Body is plugging his ears.   :)  She is right. 

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/02/09/pn.phelps.loses.endorsement.cnn

I agree that its unavoidable for kids not to see many of these sports heroes as role models.  But i also pointed out, that a parents influence is far greater or at least should be.  Kids shouldn't smoke pot for others reasons, not because Michael Phelps doesn't.

I agree that Michael's actions are not good.  I just don't see it as that much of a big deal.  Personally i think the DUI is far worse.  Demonizing pot smoking is stupid, law or not.  Should we have this much of a hissy fit if we found out Michael removed his mattress tags?

I'll watch the vid when i get home, the sound on this comp is broke for reason.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 11:23:30 AM »

what Colt did was typical of a young college freshman (18yrs old), he has grown from that and has improved his character immensely and is great example for young kids to learn from their mistakes and make changes.

Michael Phelps situation is very similar i think and Im pretty sure he will learn a great deal from this, he shouldnt be scrutinised as much as he has been. he should be thanking A-Rod thats for sure.

both in my opinion are very minor mistakes that are magnified due to their status.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
I agree that its unavoidable for kids not to see many of these sports heroes as role models.  But i also pointed out, that a parents influence is far greater or at least should be.  Kids shouldn't smoke pot for others reasons, not because Michael Phelps doesn't.

I agree that Michael's actions are not good.  I just don't see it as that much of a big deal.  Personally i think the DUI is far worse.  Demonizing pot smoking is stupid, law or not.  Should we have this much of a hissy fit if we found out Michael removed his mattress tags?

I'll watch the vid when i get home, the sound on this comp is broke for reason.

I don't think anyone is demonizing pot smoking.  It's the law breaking part that is the problem (at least for me).  It really doesn't matter whether you, me, or anyone else thinks it shouldn't be against the law.  It is.  If he thinks it should be legal, he should join one of those pothead activist groups.

Is removing mattress tags a felony?   :)

Yes, a DUI is a more serious offense than being photographed while smoking pot.    

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
I don't think anyone is demonizing pot smoking.  It's the law breaking part that is the problem (at least for me).  It really doesn't matter whether you, me, or anyone else thinks it shouldn't be against the law.  It is.  If he thinks it should be legal, he should join one of those pothead activist groups.

Is removing mattress tags a felony?   :)

Yes, a DUI is a more serious offense than being photographed while smoking pot.    

Smoking pot isn't a felony

The mattress tag says it's against the law to remove, at least that's what it said last time i read one.  And i believe it says its a felony

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »
Smoking pot isn't a felony

The mattress tag says it's against the law to remove, at least that's what it said last time i read one.  And i believe it says its a felony

Possessing a certain amount of pot is a felony.  You can't smoke it without possessing it. 

I'll have to check my mattress tags.  lol.   Have no idea what mine says.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »
Possessing a certain amount of pot is a felony.  You can't smoke it without possessing it. 

I'll have to check my mattress tags.  lol.   Have no idea what mine says.

There's no way he was smoking more than an ounce in the bowl of that bong  8)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
There's no way he was smoking more than an ounce in the bowl of that bong  8)

How much did he possess?  How much did he buy (if any)?  What's under his mattress?  :D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
How much did he possess?  How much did he buy (if any)?  What's under his mattress?  :D

He could end up with 2 strikes   lol!   ;D

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Now they want to go after him for criminal charges.
Squishy face retard

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
Now they want to go after him for criminal charges.

Based on the picture?

What a joke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »
Don't do the crime . . .

Lawyers: Arrests made in Phelps case
ESPN.com news services

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Authorities in the South Carolina county where Michael Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe have been arresting people as they seek to make a case against the superstar swimmer, lawyers for two arrested people said Thursday.

After they arrested him, they didn't ask him, 'Where did you get the marijuana?' or 'Who sold it to you?' Almost all the questions they asked him were about Michael Phelps.

-- Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian

Attorneys Joseph McCulloch and Dick Harpootlian told The Associated Press they each represent a client charged with possession of marijuana who were questioned about the party Phelps attended near the University of South Carolina campus in November.

The lawyers said the two clients were renters at the house where the party apparently took place. Harpootlian said his client was at the party, but didn't see Phelps smoke marijuana, while McCulloch said his client wasn't there. The two have since moved and were arrested after police executed a search warrant at their new home and accused them of having a small amount of marijuana there.

"After they arrested him, they didn't ask him, 'Where did you get the marijuana?' or 'Who sold it to you?' Almost all the questions they asked him were about Michael Phelps," Harpootlian said.

The lawyers would not name their clients, who each face up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine if convicted on the pending charges.

The Richland County Sheriff's Department would not comment on the lawyers' remarks.

"As soon as we're ready to release information on this case, we will [comment], and we're still in the middle of this investigation," Lt. Chris Cowan said.

After the photo was published Feb. 1, Sheriff Leon Lott said his office would investigate and possibly charge Phelps, though officials have not specified what the offense might be.

Phelps, 23, and his representatives have not disputed the photo's accuracy. Phelps has issued a public apology, acknowledging "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after the photo appeared. USA Swimming has suspended Phelps for three months and the Kellogg Co. has cut ties with him, although other sponsors are sticking with the swimmer.

McCulloch, who said his client was out of town at the time, doubted that anything his client told authorities would assist them in the case against Phelps.

"Our clients answered questions but I don't know that their information would be helpful to law enforcement," McCulloch said. "It seems to me that Richland County has a host of its own crime problems much more serious than a kid featured in a photograph with a bong in his hand."

Lott has said Phelps should not get a break because of his fame. Harpootlian said that he believes police are being overzealous.

"I find it amazing the justification is they don't want to treat him any differently just because he is a celebrity, and he is being treated far differently than any other Joe Blow who might have smoked marijuana four or five months ago."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of drug paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Columbia television station WIS-TV was first to report earlier this week that eight arrests related to the party had been made, but did not name a source. McCulloch said college students and lawyers have told him that about eight arrests have been made.

However, although the Richland County Sheriff's Department did execute search warrants last weekend on a couple locations at the University of South Carolina, the charges the eight people face are from last weekend and not from the November incident involving Phelps. A source told ESPN that those charged were mostly college students.

Lott has made fighting drug crimes a central plank of his career. He rose from patrol officer to captain of the narcotics division in the early 1990s. He was first elected sheriff in 1996 and has held the post since.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=3901721

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »
Don't do the crime . . .

ESPN.com news services

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Authorities in the South Carolina county where Michael Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe have been arresting people as they seek to make a case against the superstar swimmer, lawyers for two arrested people said Thursday.

After they arrested him, they didn't ask him, 'Where did you get the marijuana?' or 'Who sold it to you?' Almost all the questions they asked him were about Michael Phelps.

Attorneys Joseph McCulloch and Dick Harpootlian told The Associated Press they each represent a client charged with possession of marijuana who were questioned about the party Phelps attended near the University of South Carolina campus in November.

The lawyers said the two clients were renters at the house where the party apparently took place. Harpootlian said his client was at the party, but didn't see Phelps smoke marijuana, while McCulloch said his client wasn't there. The two have since moved and were arrested after police executed a search warrant at their new home and accused them of having a small amount of marijuana there.

"After they arrested him, they didn't ask him, 'Where did you get the marijuana?' or 'Who sold it to you?' Almost all the questions they asked him were about Michael Phelps," Harpootlian said.

The lawyers would not name their clients, who each face up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine if convicted on the pending charges.

The Richland County Sheriff's Department would not comment on the lawyers' remarks.

"As soon as we're ready to release information on this case, we will [comment], and we're still in the middle of this investigation," Lt. Chris Cowan said.

After the photo was published Feb. 1, Sheriff Leon Lott said his office would investigate and possibly charge Phelps, though officials have not specified what the offense might be.

Phelps, 23, and his representatives have not disputed the photo's accuracy. Phelps has issued a public apology, acknowledging "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after the photo appeared. USA Swimming has suspended Phelps for three months and the Kellogg Co. has cut ties with him, although other sponsors are sticking with the swimmer.

McCulloch, who said his client was out of town at the time, doubted that anything his client told authorities would assist them in the case against Phelps.

"Our clients answered questions but I don't know that their information would be helpful to law enforcement," McCulloch said. "It seems to me that Richland County has a host of its own crime problems much more serious than a kid featured in a photograph with a bong in his hand."

Lott has said Phelps should not get a break because of his fame. Harpootlian said that he believes police are being overzealous.

"I find it amazing the justification is they don't want to treat him any differently just because he is a celebrity, and he is being treated far differently than any other Joe Blow who might have smoked marijuana four or five months ago."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of drug paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Columbia television station WIS-TV was first to report earlier this week that eight arrests related to the party had been made, but did not name a source. McCulloch said college students and lawyers have told him that about eight arrests have been made.

However, although the Richland County Sheriff's Department did execute search warrants last weekend on a couple locations at the University of South Carolina, the charges the eight people face are from last weekend and not from the November incident involving Phelps. A source told ESPN that those charged were mostly college students.

Lott has made fighting drug crimes a central plank of his career. He rose from patrol officer to captain of the narcotics division in the early 1990s. He was first elected sheriff in 1996 and has held the post since.

Tax payor $ put to good use there :o

The money put into investegating, trial and possible jail time grossly outweighs the penalty..$200...are you shittin.. we need an overhaul of the system. we would save a shit load of money

body88

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Don't do the crime . . .

ESPN.com news services

If he goes to jail UH can bring him in, then he can become a model citizen and a great kid in your book!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »

If he goes to jail UH can bring him in, then he can become a model citizen and a great kid in your book!

And if he kicks his dog you'll call for the death penalty.   :)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:24 PM »
And if he kicks his dog you'll call for the death penalty.   :)

LMAO