Author Topic: what works for you ?  (Read 1878 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
what works for you ?
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
what works for you in terms of carbs and fats....both when trying to put on muscle and when trying to strip off fat...?

alot of carbs and alot of fat ?

alot of carbs with minimal fats ?

alot of fat with minimal carbs ?

a moderate amount of carbs with minimal fat ?

a moderate amount of fat with minimal carbs ?

a moderate amount of fat and a moderate amount of carbs ?

a minimal amount of fat and a minimal amount of carbs ?

AVBG

Re: what works for you ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
moderate fat, low carb

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
moderate fat, low carb
for both stripping fat and putting on muscle ?

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »
for both stripping fat and putting on muscle ?

yep, for both.. Carbs are overplayed in my opinion (particularly for my body type- endo/meso).

After coming off a solid keto diet, I increased my carbs and it really didnt make much difference in strength..if anything felt more sluggish... the only reason to periodically eat carbs per se is to satisfy sweet tooth cravings.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »
yep, for both.. Carbs are overplayed in my opinion (particularly for my body type- endo/meso).

After coming off a solid keto diet, I increased my carbs and it really didnt make much difference in strength..if anything felt more sluggish... the only reason for me to periodically eat carbs per se is to satisfy sweet tooth cravings.

(just to keep the thread experience related and without argument over which type is best)

what does your bulking carb/fat intake look like, and what does your dieting carb/fat intake look like ? (amounts, timing)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
What may play a factor in the proper nutritional protocol is whether the person is natural or not. A steroid user can look much fuller and still gain muscle and lose fat on a pretty low amount of carbs. I think it's different for most naturals. If you see a lot of (true) natural guys in contests, they look cut but they get very flat. For a natural to diet down and look full, they have to diet down much slower and longer than a user. They probably shouldn't cut carbs below 100 grams a day. Fats can be kept at a decent amount.  A juicer can often  stay pretty full looking even taking in only 50 grams of carbs provided they up their fats and protein like in the Palumbo diet. Personally, I do the best on about 100 grams of carbs a day, 200 grms protein, fat I don't really count but I get some from egg yolks, oils, and some almonds and of course in some lean red meat. Since I have some good cardio machines in my house, I throw in a couple of cardio sessions a day. This keeps me fairly lean and I weigh almost 200 pounds now at 5'9", natural at 46 years old, where as 10 years ago I would have to weigh 185 to look about the same.

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
(just to keep the thread experience related and without argument over which type is best)

what does your bulking carb/fat intake look like, and what does your dieting carb/fat intake look like ? (amounts, timing)

Yeah I agree- this is personal experience/preference.

Fats are with each meal, 4 meals per day and they mainly consist of nat pb, olive/mac oil, saturated fat in meat/fish...I don't monitor the amounts - but I don't consciously cut it out either.

With carbs, I will get the trace amounts that are found in green veg and also in my last meal that is eaten with my family (wife & two kids). I have a sweet tooth so I'll have desert most days with my family which is generally chocolate, ice cream and sometimes cake/bars and I'll have two servings at the end of each day.. so for arguments sake I'll be eating fairly clean for 4/5ths of my day.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
chemist -  you barely eat man. you always had a slow metabolism or is this just coming with age ?

avbg - i like sweets too  :) well..who doesnt..lol..

personally im not really sure if i know exactly what works for me. seemingly, anything works. high fat zero carb. high carb zero fat. moderate fat and moderate carb. only thing i know for sure is that high protein is key for me.

AVBG

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
chemist you have made some extremely valid points. doing it naturally is a lot longer process and you have to be meticulous in your prep.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
chemist -  you barely eat man. you always had a slow metabolism or is this just coming with age ?

avbg - i like sweets too  :) well..who doesnt..lol..

personally im not really sure if i know exactly what works for me. seemingly, anything works. high fat zero carb. high carb zero fat. moderate fat and moderate carb. only thing i know for sure is that high protein is key for me.
My metabolism is fairly slow I guess. Most people who eat like me would be shredded.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:47:00 AM »
For adding muscle High fat/moderate to high protein with two big carb meals a day.  I usually will have a big carb meal before bed and one before training.  I've made my best gains following this system.

Balloon

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »
I am not sure.

All i know is that i tend to nap alot more when i have lots of sugar.
I have never actually tried super high protein. Never been over 200 grams per day.
Maybe i should

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:28:51 AM »
For adding muscle High fat/moderate to high protein with two big carb meals a day.  I usually will have a big carb meal before bed and one before training.  I've made my best gains following this system.
thats really interesting lats.   whats the idea behind the big carb meal before bed ?

I am not sure.

All i know is that i tend to nap alot more when i have lots of sugar.
I have never actually tried super high protein. Never been over 200 grams per day.
Maybe i should
I think you should try it. for myself, theres a HUGE difference between 400 and 200 grams per day. 

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »
Moderate Protein (about 25% less then body weight - roughly 175 grams, sometimes more sometimes less), Moderate Fat (around 125-150 grams, mostly from "good" fats. Hey, I gotta cheat from time to time), & Carbs based on how I feel (i.e. energy needs - some days high, some days low).

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
My body responds to high protein very low carbs.  Lose weight like crazy on that. 

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »
For gaining, Hi carb 1.5-2g per lb depending on activities Hi protein 1.5g per lb low ish fat about 50g a day

usually 400g carbs & 300g protein 8)

fat makes you fat and carbs make you happy :D
tank u jesus

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 04:11:02 AM »
thats really interesting lats.   whats the idea behind the big carb meal before bed ?

For me it was nice because I didn't wake up feeling depleted of carbs and it keeps my cravings for those not so good breakfast carbs that we all like to eat so much at bay.  Steak and Eggs is an honest breakfast for a bodybuilder!

Christopher Belinksky

• Getbig III
  • The Coach loves sticky studs!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »
for fat loss, being in a negative energy balance works for everybody.
for muscle gain being in a positive nitrogen balance works for everybody.

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22:21 AM »
a moderate amount of fat with minimal carbs : Here is the current layout:

(1 Fat gram = 9 calories; 1 Carbohydrate gram = 4 calories; 1 Protein gram = 4 calories.)

Total Cals. From Proteins = 552 ------------- 24%
Grams of Proteins = 138

Total Cals. From Carbs. = 1000 -------------- 43%
Grams of Carbs. = 250

Total Cals. From Fats = 756 ------------------ 33%
Grams of Fats = 84

{2,308 Total Daily Caloric Intake}

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »
a moderate amount of fat with minimal carbs : Here is the current layout:

(1 Fat gram = 9 calories; 1 Carbohydrate gram = 4 calories; 1 Protein gram = 4 calories.)

Total Cals. From Proteins = 552 ------------- 24%
Grams of Proteins = 138

Total Cals. From Carbs. = 1000 -------------- 43%
Grams of Carbs. = 250

Total Cals. From Fats = 756 ------------------ 33%
Grams of Fats = 84

{2,308 Total Daily Caloric Intake}

that doesnt really look like a moderate amount of fat with minimal carbs. looks like a high carb.. moderate fat..low protein diet to me..

this is what you find works best for you ? have you tried other ways ? higher protein? lower carbs? higher carbs? higher fats ? if so, what were the results?

Christopher Belinksky

• Getbig III
  • The Coach loves sticky studs!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »
that doesnt really look like a moderate amount of fat with minimal carbs. looks like a high carb.. moderate fat..low protein diet to me..

this is what you find works best for you ? have you tried other ways ? higher protein? lower carbs? higher carbs? higher fats ? if so, what were the results?

since when is 250 carbs minimal?  ;D

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »

This does work for me....however everyone is different. I do tapper or vary the carbs according to how my body feels. If I look fatter one day I'll drop the carbs a little lower. But not too much. I've found that this is the best arrangement too burn fat and give energy throughout the day. Too much protein in my body tends to make me fat. i cannot lose fat when the protein is high. BTW I'm 40 years old, clean for 15 years, and I workout using 1 on 3 off type of schedule.   

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
This does work for me....however everyone is different. I do tapper or vary the carbs according to how my body feels. If I look fatter one day I'll drop the carbs a little lower. But not too much. I've found that this is the best arrangement too burn fat and give energy throughout the day. Too much protein in my body tends to make me fat. i cannot lose fat when the protein is high. BTW I'm 40 years old, clean for 15 years, and I workout using 1 on 3 off type of schedule.   

oh the protein makes you fat huh