Author Topic: Nasser @ the 2002 Arnold  (Read 6616 times)

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
Re: Nasser @ the 2002 Arnold
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
Far from it. Your list contains FIVE Americans and one Anglo-Saxon Englishman. For Nasser to match and surpass most of those resumes is a stunning achievement.
Nasser the Slavic/Egyptian European with his Arabic name to come do what he did in such a biased sport is truly fucking amazing.

If he was an American , particularly a white American, with a name like Jack Williams , he would have won about 4 Olympias and 3 Arnold classics.

Wake and smell the coffee.

You are going to the race card now?  Pathetic!

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
It is a desperate measure on their part. Faced with Nasser's clear brilliance they resort to a silly argument.

It's like arguing that Ali was not a great fighter because he fought some bad opponents and lost some fights at the very end of his career.

Stinks of absolute desperation.

Nasser compared with Ali?  That's not a logical comparison.  Ali reached the very heights of greatness and defeated many worthy opponents in dramatic battles.  Nasser's closest brush with the top of his sport was a 2nd place at the 1997 Olympia.  I DO BELIEVE HE SHOULD HAVE WON THAT CONTEST.  But guess what?  He didn't.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
I think that is very subjective. 

Exactly - you think Nasser did not achieve legendary status - I do.  Live with it and move on.  Or we can slug like Hulkster and ND for years :)

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
Nasser at his prime was better than anyone in the 90's.

The judges placed Flex above him a few times even though Flex was narrow, had no lats, calf implants, over-proportionate shoulders and arms. Otherwise, they still fairly placed Nasser above him at the 95 Olympia, 96 Olympia, and would have in 97 (but Flex lied that he got attacked by Ninjas and beat them up)

Levrone could not beat Nasser in his prime (lost to him in 96 O, 97 O, and 98 O, as well as a few Arnold Classics during those years including 99).  Levrone was placed higher in 95 by one placing but that was unfair.

Same with Ray (lost in 95, won 96 but unfairly, lost 97, 98 and I think at least one AC)

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
Exactly - you think Nasser did not achieve legendary status - I do.  Live with it and move on.  Or we can slug like Hulkster and ND for years :)

I do think Nasser was a great bodybuilder and appreciate the physique he brought to the stage during a 4-5 year period.  However, its a damn shame Nasser demeaned himself be continuing to compete way past his prime.  He ABUSED his body with drugs and became a shell of his former self.  Does Nasser admit that taking insulin or any other sort of chemical was a mistake?  bigbobs, you have given numerous BS responses as to why Nasser went downhill so quickly, but what is the real reason why he fell off and looked so crappy from 2000 onwards?

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
Nasser at his prime was better than anyone in the 90's.

The judges placed Flex above him a few times even though Flex was narrow, had no lats, calf implants, over-proportionate shoulders and arms. Otherwise, they still fairly placed Nasser above him at the 95 Olympia, 96 Olympia, and would have in 97 (but Flex lied that he got attacked by Ninjas and beat them up)

Levrone could not beat Nasser in his prime (lost to him in 96 O, 97 O, and 98 O, as well as a few Arnold Classics during those years including 99).  Levrone was placed higher in 95 by one placing but that was unfair.

Same with Ray (lost in 95, won 96 but unfairly, lost 97, 98 and I think at least one AC)

Very few people agree with you bigbobs.  Nasser only won ONE major contest (at the 1999 Arnold)...and Kevin Levrone was a very debatable second place! 

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
I do think Nasser was a great bodybuilder and appreciate the physique he brought to the stage during a 4-5 year period.  However, its a damn shame Nasser demeaned himself be continuing to compete way past his prime.  He ABUSED his body with drugs and became a shell of his former self.  Does Nasser admit that taking insulin or any other sort of chemical was a mistake?  bigbobs, you have given numerous BS responses as to why Nasser went downhill so quickly, but what is the real reason why he fell off and looked so crappy from 2000 onwards?

Nasser does not feel it's a "damn shame" that he continued competing - only you and a few haters do.  Nasser has already addressed why his placings dropped (and I've given even more detail in some of my posts, detail which came straight from the man himself).  You can chose to be in denial and not believe it all you want,  but that will not result in me making up any other reasons to entertain you.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
Very few people agree with you bigbobs.  Nasser only won ONE major contest (at the 1999 Arnold)...and Kevin Levrone was a very debatable second place! 

He won the NOC too, and certain Grand Prix shows.  And he would have won more sans the IFBB politics.

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
the 1997 Olympia.  I DO BELIEVE HE SHOULD HAVE WON THAT CONTEST.  But guess what?  He didn't.

So you admit that he should have won but can't understand why fans of Nasser, actually fans of integrity in the sport, are still angry about it? This was a man's life, his career, everything condensed into this one moment and he was totally fucking screwed over.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
So you admit that he should have won but can't understand why fans of Nasser, actually fans of integrity in the sport, are still angry about it? This was a man's life, his career, everything condensed into this one moment and he was totally fucking screwed over.

I admit, it would be a tough pill to swallow, but such is life.  Nasser was not the only man to be screwed out of the Olympia.  Shawn and Kevin also finished second (both more than Nasser) and continued on with their careers in top form. 

Bodybuilding is almost pure subjectivity - screw jobs happen.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:16 PM »
Bodybuilding is almost pure subjectivity - screw jobs happen.

To an extent, however you would never justify an extremely ridiculous judging decision (just as you can never justify an NPC junior beating a top Olympia contender) even when trying to cling to the "subjectivity" argument.  Such was the case with with Nasser in some years (particularly 97 Olympia and 94 NOC)

94 could have gone to Ray and 92 could have gone to Levrone, but it was not as silly as 97 going to Yates.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »
Nasser does not feel it's a "damn shame" that he continued competing - only you and a few haters do.  Nasser has already addressed why his placings dropped (and I've given even more detail in some of my posts, detail which came straight from the man himself).  You can chose to be in denial and not believe it all you want,  but that will not result in me making up any other reasons to entertain you.

The only denial going on here is with you contending that Nasser was the greatest bodybuilder of the 90s.  You couldn't be any more wrong.  Ronnie in 1998 and 1999 would DESTROY any version of Nasser.  Nasser is not in the same league as Ronnie.  You can debate Nasser V Yates, Nasser V Levrone, but if you want to debate peak condition, Nasser is OWNED by Ronnie.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
To an extent, however you would never justify an extremely ridiculous judging decision (just as you can never justify an NPC junior beating a top Olympia contender) even when trying to cling to the "subjectivity" argument.  Such was the case with with Nasser in some years (particularly 97 Olympia and 94 NOC)

Im not going to disagree with you about the 1997 Olympia; Nasser should have won that show. 

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
Im not going to disagree with you that Nasser should have won the Olympia 3 times (at least) 

Great, so we agree and can move on :)

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
Levrone was 2nd in the Mr. Olympia 4 times and won 2 Arnold Classics. That speaks for itself.
Team Yates

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Im not going to disagree with you about the 1997 Olympia; Nasser should have won that show. 

Then I think you're half way to realizing why people support Nasser still to this day and shall continue to. Nasser began to lose a little bit of motivation every year after that. Had he been given his Olympia (and I actually think he should already have had 1 or possibly 2 by then) then it would have been the start of a great era for him.

Also bodybuilding missed the chance to not only put the winners medal around the right neck but they missed the chance to have an aspirational Mr Olympia with intelligence and sophistication.

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »
Point is when someone has earned legendary status, future placings do not have any negative bearing on that.  Doesn't matter if a Mr. Olympia title was given or not (and in his case should have been given). 

exactly!

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
Far from it. Your list contains FIVE Americans and one Anglo-Saxon Englishman. For Nasser to match and surpass most of those resumes is a stunning achievement.
Nasser the Slavic/Egyptian European with his Arabic name to come do what he did in such a biased sport is truly fucking amazing.

If he was an American , particularly a white American, with a name like Jack Williams , he would have won about 4 Olympias and 3 Arnold classics.

Wake and smell the coffee.

another brilliant post from Sharma

spot on as always!

HeyNow

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »
Thoughts?

Not in his best form, but in 02 it was kind of the decline for Nassars competitive career.  He was still a big dude, but his best days were behind him, it happens to every pro.  Age occurs and the body doesn't respond like it used to.  He had a good run and a good career, it was time to retire.  I'm sure he felt that way.

aussiepro

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
whats with all the nasser love, he looks like a bloated piece of shit in that photo..
He was never good enought o win the MR O title and has been complaining about it ever since,
What kind of pathetic man has been crying about the same thing for over 10 years now. Ita just really sad that he spends all day on his computer trying to convince others out there who have forgotten about him a long time ago that he once look half decent.. (i dont agree i think he looked like shit his whole carreer, but thats a different story)..
The synthol looks terrible, and no it isn't scar tissue, he wont even man up and say that he used oil. And there are many other photo's to prove it..
Nasser i actually pity u stop living in the past and grow up..
OH YES AND STOP SELLING YOUR USED UNDERWEAR TO DIRTY SCHMOES LIKE BIGBOBS AND SHARMA,
or are they the same person, i cant keep track anymore
there's no magic pills... just needles

donation

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
selling used undies, beating up women, shooting synthol & being generally despised doesn't make Nasser a legend.

No one in the bodybuilding community considers your joke of an idol a "legend".

You should wake up and smell the falafels. Nasshole bought your friendship.

And relentless like I said Nasser's legacy is untouched by his last few shows.  Once you achieve legendary status you can do anything and place any which way and you are still a legend.  For example, Samir Bannout trying to make a comeback and not placing well did not take away from his legendary status.  If Ronnie  Coleman continues to compete for years and falls out of the top 10 or even if he starts to look worse than Kovacs he is still 8 time  Mr. Olympia and nothing can take away from that. 

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
there can be no doubt that the 90's produced some of the greatest BB's  in the history of the sport

Wheeler
Ray
Levrone
Yates
coleman
El Sonbaty

IF you measure their greatness if terms of contests won then some on that list may outshine others but if you measure their greatness if terms of a legendary legacy then Nasser reigns supreme.

The legacy Nasser created is that despite being a non NPC/non-American, he was the best BB in the world in 1996-1997 and one of the best from 1995-1999. IN spite of the near insurmountable obstacles of the crooked, cheating and unjust politics of the IFBB judges, the acknowledgement from fans the world over that he was the best in those years cannot be denied.

However, Nasser's legend is not based purely on his physique. Moreso, the Man behind the muscles was the phenom so many fans worldwide have come to know and admire.
The intelligence, articulateness, friendliness, personability,generosity,warmth and wit of Nasser  to his fans and general public that shone a new light into the dark , misunderstood world of BB- a unique individual who dispelled the negative stereotype of the caveman- like, monosyllabic , roid- raged musclehead.

A man who became the very best in his chosed field and then went beyond that , securing his place in history  forever as one of the best BB's of all time and ultimately a true Rennaissance man, transcending the sport itself.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »
you know the truth,nasser and wheeler and to a degree leverone all had some subpar or off there best looks,or stayed too long in the game,but never,ever did shawn ray come off in anything less than top or best form why is that?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »
you know the truth,nasser and wheeler and to a degree leverone all had some subpar or off there best looks,or stayed too long in the game,but never,ever did shawn ray come off in anything less than top or best form why is that?
1988 he was 13th , other than that he was consistent

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »
1988 he was 13th , other than that he was consistent
first olympia and yeah a lot of hype and smack talk then too,but he held his head up even with failing test at arnold and then rewinning it,consistent greatness.