Author Topic: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again  (Read 65009 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up CA governor's race
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
Seriously...i would like to see that

Morgen Richmond
http://biggovernment.com/mrichmond/2010/06/10/jerry-brown-flashback-we-need-more-welfare-and-fewer-jobs/

For a guy known to hold some pretty strange views, this might be the most bizarre perspective on welfare policy I have ever seen. Here is Jerry Brown from his Pacifica Radio show in 1995 (full transcript here):

The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs. Jobs for every American is doomed to failure because of modern automation and production. We ought to recognize it and create an income-maintenance system so every single American has the dignity and the wherewithal for shelter, basic food, and medical care. I’m talking about welfare for all. Without it, you’re going to have warfare for all. Without a universal health care like every other civilized country, without a minimum level of income, this country will explode. You can’t blame the guy at the bottom forever. At some point there’s a reaction and we’ll see that the real criminals are those calling the tune, making the rules, and walking to the bank. We have the money, we have the brain power. The United States now has the highest measured wealth of any nation ever in the history of the world. We could rebuild our cities, we could create the kind of buying power and community well-being that will provide for peace. The guaranteed income is one way. Another way is to have always the availability of work in a nonprofit, in community service. A third is to start giving people training to develop skills where they can be self-supporting. You could come up with a cash supplement. Even conservatives have suggested a negative income tax to cut out the bureaucracy. If we were smart, we’d get rid of welfare and give people a family assistance like they do in Europe…

The problem isn’t even a problem. Automation and technology would be a great boon if it were creative, if there were more leisure, more opportunity to engage in raising a family, providing guidance to the young, all the stuff we say we need. America will work if we’re all in it together. It’ll work when there’s a shared sense of destiny. It can be done! It’s all there! What isn’t there is the leadership to create the kind of social network, the safety net, the distribution that would truly create a just and equal society…

We have to restore power to the family, to the neighborhood, and the community with a non-market principle, a principle of equality, of charity, of let’s-take-care-of-one-another. That’s the creative challenge. First, expose relentlessly the big lie that comes over the tube every night-that if you just go out and find that job, and work harder, it’ll all be fine. It won’t! There’s not enough work to go around and a lot of the pay is not fair. Unless you totally yank up that system and create a better one, unless the spirit changes, unless the heart opens, unless we confront power with the truth of our own unarmed but absolute fearless truth, we’re not going to overcome it. Evil is too embedded to be overcome by anything other than a spiritual challenge.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »
Voting record
The Sacramento Bee reported that Whitman did not vote for 28 years, after reviewing her voting records in California.[72][73] Whitman has described her voting record as "atrocious", apologized for it,[73] and stated that she is happy to discuss the matter.[74] Whitman answered questions about her record in September, replying, "And I think the reason is, is for many years, I wasn't as engaged in the political process and should have been."[75]

For Governor ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
Voting record
The Sacramento Bee reported that Whitman did not vote for 28 years, after reviewing her voting records in California.[72][73] Whitman has described her voting record as "atrocious", apologized for it,[73] and stated that she is happy to discuss the matter.[74] Whitman answered questions about her record in September, replying, "And I think the reason is, is for many years, I wasn't as engaged in the political process and should have been."[75]

For Governor ::)

And?

Bro - I can't wait to see your entire state burn to the ground under Brown and his rubber stamp of the far left craziness from the state legislature.  I'm serious-  if you guys are so gullible to vote for Moonbeam, you deserve everything coming your way. 

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »
Ha ha ha ha  - again Mal - business and econ definately is not your thing. 

At eBay, Meg made history. Meg steered eBay through the dot-com rise and fall that saw the vast majority of high-flying start-ups crash and burn, while eBay turned in one quarter of dramatic growth after another. When she joined eBay, the company had just $4.7 million in revenues and 30 employees; when she retired in March of 2008, ten years later, the company had nearly $8 billion in revenues and 15,000 employees worldwide – with millions of users in California alone. During that journey, Meg appeared on many “top CEO” lists and national magazine covers. Time ranked her among the world’s most influential people. Fortune ranked her the most powerful woman in business in 2004 and 2005. And Business Week listed her among business’ top managers year after year.   

33367 no offense you could say that Meg was at the right place at the right time. Ebay's early entry into their respective market gave them an edge over early competitors such as Ubid.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »
33367 no offense you could say that Meg was at the right place at the right time. Ebay's early entry into their respective market gave them an edge over early competitors such as Ubid.

Had the company folded while she was CEO, would she have shared the blame in the collapse? 

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:22 AM »
Had the company folded while she was CEO, would she have shared the blame in the collapse? 

I think the founders where most instrumental for the success of the company. Meg wasn't a bad CEO by any stretch. I just feel anyone could have run this business. I'm also a long time Ebay shareholder. I initially Bought Ebay Shares in 1998. However, i sold 80% of holdings in 2004 &2005. I just felt that the the company lost there way under Meg.  They started to alienate many long time users who built the company up to where it is today. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »
I think the founders where most instrumental for the success of the company. Meg wasn't a bad CEO by any stretch. I just feel anyone could have run this business. I'm also a long time Ebay shareholder. I initially Bought Ebay Shares in 1998. However, i sold 80% of holdings in 2004 &2005. I just felt that the the company lost there way under Meg.  They started to alienate many long time users who built the company up to where it is today. 

While that all is probably true, her record still is miles better than Brown and i see no reason to not trust her leadership in a govt position vs a guy who is a proven failure.   

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
While that all is probably true, her record still is miles better than Brown and i see no reason to not trust her leadership in a govt position vs a guy who is a proven failure.   

True...

It's like choosing between a giant douche and a turn sandwich.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »

I disagree... While she has no voting record, I think anyone who will take a 120 Million dollar bonus while firing people to be pretty classless.

Why does class not count?

That said, Brown is certainly not perfect, but he's a retired Airforce officer, has always ran on a fiscally responsible platform and probably has opinions on the issues that mirror your own views a lot 33333333 (at least according to his website).

He comes across like the kind of guy you'd vote for... That's just an opinion of course.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
I disagree... While she has no voting record, I think anyone who will take a 120 Million dollar bonus while firing people to be pretty classless.

Why does class not count?

That said, Brown is certainly not perfect, but he's a retired Airforce officer, has always ran on a fiscally responsible platform and probably has opinions on the issues that mirror your own views a lot 33333333 (at least according to his website).

He comes across like the kind of guy you'd vote for... That's just an opinion of course.

The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs. Jobs for every American is doomed to failure because of modern automation and production. We ought to recognize it and create an income-maintenance system so every single American has the dignity and the wherewithal for shelter, basic food, and medical care. I’m talking about welfare for all. Without it, you’re going to have warfare for all.

Not my kind of guy. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
Boxer and Brown leading my 8 and 13 points at the moment?

sounds like repubs should have put up the best CANDIDATE - not the person with the most $ to blow.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2010, 08:34:14 AM »

The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs. Jobs for every American is doomed to failure because of modern automation and production. We ought to recognize it and create an income-maintenance system so every single American has the dignity and the wherewithal for shelter, basic food, and medical care. I’m talking about welfare for all. Without it, you’re going to have warfare for all.

Not my kind of guy.  

So all of his other viewpoints which you obviously agree with are negated by the fact that you think your wallet will be hurt by it?

I see... Well, at least we understand what matters to you the most.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »
So all of his other viewpoints which you obviously agree with are negated by the fact that you think your wallet will be hurt by it?

I see... Well, at least we understand what matters to you the most.

no - the fact that he leads or at least recently lead a city that is now defunct and bankrupt due to reckless liberal policies is what matters to me.  The fact that he and the other far left idiots like Boxer advocate policies that are collapsing the nation are what matter to me. 

But who cares right?  Meg had a nanny!   Go Brown! 

________________________ _____

California Cut 37,000 Government Jobs In September And There's Much More To Come
Mike "Mish" Shedlock, Global Economic Trend Analysis | Oct. 25, 2010, 10:42 AM | 437 |  4

URL Mike "Mish" Shedlock Mish is an investment advisor at Sitka Pacific Capital. He writes the widely read Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis.

Recent Posts
Here's Where America's Top 50 Companies Stand In Debt And Cash
Severe, Life-Changing, And Consciousness-Altering State Budget Cuts...
Why Unemployment Is Going To Surge After The November Elections

Massive Inflation in China, US Inflation Nonexistent
California Cut 37,000 Government Jobs in September; Much More to Come

The LA Times reports Government job cuts ravage California

Weighed down by a struggling economy, government agencies in California shed 37,300 workers last month — more jobs than were lost in the private sector — as cities and counties made their biggest payroll cutbacks since at least 1990.

What's more, analysts see more job cuts ahead as California faces an estimated $10-billion shortfall in the state budget that the next governor must address. Cities and counties, meanwhile, are still struggling with tepid sales and property tax revenue.

Cities across the state have taken stringent measures to balance their budgets, said Eva Spiegel, a spokeswoman with the League of California Cities.

Oakland laid off 80 police officers and delayed pothole repairs. Fullerton laid off 14 police officers and three firefighters, cut library hours and closed restrooms at several parks. Oceanside laid off 28 police officers and three firefighters, closed a swimming pool and a recreation center and eliminated the city Bookmobile.

Overall, the state's unemployment rate remained stuck at 12.4%, one of the highest in the nation. The state lost a net 63,600 jobs in September. Local governments shed 32,400 jobs, according to the monthly report from the state Employment Development Department released Friday.

Taxable sales plummeted 18.5% in California from 2006 to 2009 and are expected to remain relatively flat this year, according to the National University System Institute for Policy Research in La Jolla.

The National League of Cities reported this month that cities across the country were making their sharpest cuts in at least a quarter of a century. Nearly 80% of city finance officers in a survey reported laying off staff, and 87% said their cities were worse off financially this year than last year.

Taxable Sales Down 18%

Those last two paragraphs are the key to understanding one of the things I have been saying, that there is no recovery in sales.

Every month, when retail sales numbers come out, I question them. Here is my article from October 15: Retail Sales Rise More Than Forecast; Once Again I Ask "Really?"

Retail sales may be at their best point in the year, but sales are certainly not within 3% of the all time high [as government data shows]. If they were, tax revenue collection would be exceeding all time highs given increases in sales taxes.

Sales Tax Collections Down 5.9% June 2010 vs. June 2008

In spite of numerous sales tax hikes, tax collections are still 5.9% lower than two years ago. Moreover, June of 2008 was not the pre-recession peak. November of 2007 was the pre-recession peak.

Bear in mind those statistics are as reported in Retail Sales Rise .4% from July - How Far to Pre-recession Levels? Where to from Here? reflective of the second quarter.

See link for several charts.

Unless consumers have gone on a tear in the third quarter (highly unlikely with renewed slowdown in housing as well as the recent Gallup survey above), these retail sales reports are simply not believable.

What's clear is the methodology is flawed. By how much is the question. The way to figure out how much is to factor in all sales tax hikes and compare state sales tax collections. I will take another look at that as time permits.

Expect More Cutbacks, Lots More

Just a few days ago I penned, Severe, Life-changing, and Consciousness-Altering State Budget Cuts Coming.

The LA Times article is but a start for what I envision. Moreover, it does not even begin to address the fact that California Pension Promises Exceed 550% of State Tax Revenue by 2012; A Look at Solutions.

Finally, it should be crystal clear that Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego, and numerous other cities in California and nationwide are bankrupt, mostly over public union pension promises that cannot be met.

Here are a few posts:

Oakland California Bankrupt - Councilwoman Pat Kernighan Calls Rest of Council "Crazy and Irresponsible"

L.A. Controller Says City Could Run Out of Cash by May 5

Mayor of Los Angeles Says "Bankruptcy is Not an Option"

The most galling thing in all of this is public unions across the country are demanding more tax hikes so they can receive benefits those in the private sector can only dream about.

Indeed, most of the police, fire, and teacher layoffs underway would not have to happen, if only the unions would accept cutbacks in pay and benefits. Instead, senior union members always vote to toss the junior members to the dogs, then have the gall to blame voters for not hiking taxes.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List

Tags: State Governments, California, Unemployment | Get Alerts for these topics »

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/california-cut-37000-government-jobs-in-september-2010-10#ixzz13NwSSKAt

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
no - the fact that he leads or at least recently lead a city that is now defunct and bankrupt due to reckless liberal policies is what matters to me.  The fact that he and the other far left idiots like Boxer advocate policies that are collapsing the nation are what matter to me. 

But who cares right?  Meg had a nanny!   Go Brown!

Dude... Who cares about the Nanny shit?

Seriously man...

I don't expect you to know this, but it's not "Liberal" policies that are fucking California... It's the people. The actual voters are why California is in a bind.

You don't know this, because you're not anywhere near California, but I happen to have an apartment there and I know what goes on.

In 2008 there was a ballot measure asked about.... There was basically a question on the ballot of "Should we cut spending".

Of course over 50% of the population voted "yes".

Then under that, there were ballot votes for:

"Should we cut safety"

"Should we cut education"

"Should we cut transportation"

"Should we cut social services"

On each fucking measure they couldn't get 50% of a vote on yes.

Everyone in state wanted to cut, but no one wanted to cut from the shit THEY use.

So no... Brown's policies are not to blame, the voters are.

If you're the kind of person who believes in personal responsibility, then you should not be blaming it on Brown... You should be blaming it on the voters.

But then who would tell the truth when the voters fuck up? No one.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
Oh absolutely!   We get the govt we deserve.   I agree 100% with that. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »
Dude... Who cares about the Nanny shit?

Seriously man...

I don't expect you to know this, but it's not "Liberal" policies that are fucking California... It's the people. The actual voters are why California is in a bind.

You don't know this, because you're not anywhere near California, but I happen to have an apartment there and I know what goes on.

In 2008 there was a ballot measure asked about.... There was basically a question on the ballot of "Should we cut spending".

Of course over 50% of the population voted "yes".

Then under that, there were ballot votes for:

"Should we cut safety"

"Should we cut education"

"Should we cut transportation"

"Should we cut social services"

On each fucking measure they couldn't get 50% of a vote on yes.

Everyone in state wanted to cut, but no one wanted to cut from the shit THEY use.

So no... Brown's policies are not to blame, the voters are.

If you're the kind of person who believes in personal responsibility, then you should not be blaming it on Brown... You should be blaming it on the voters.

But then who would tell the truth when the voters fuck up? No one.

It always seemed strange to me that California had some many ballot initiatives, making the tuff decisions on what needs to be cut etc is the reason people are elected.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
Read it and weep. 

Califnornia is utterly collapsing on to itself with your idiotic far left policies. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/reasons-to-leave-california-2010-10#comment-4cc5cdc449e2ae722f030000

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
In an effort to humanize herself Meg has released a new commercial.

The Republican uses the ad to remind voters of her personal history as a longtime California resident and former chief executive of eBay. In spite of spending more than $160 million on her campaign so far -- including more than $140 million of her own fortune -- Whitman trails her Democratic opponent Jerry Brown in the latest Los Angeles Times poll, 52 percent to 39 percent.

Furthermore, while Brown only gets a 48 percent positive favorability rating in the L.A. Times poll, with 44 percent of voters saying they have an unfavorable view of him, Whitman is even more unpopular -- just 37 percent of voters said they viewed her favorably, while 52 percent said they had an unfavorable view of her. Whitman may have lost ground with voters, according to the L.A. Times, after her former housekeeper charged that Whitman kept her on as an employee, even after learning that the housekeeper was an illegal immigrant.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:16 PM »
Again - read my link - CALI is in utter freefall as result of your out of control govt. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
In an effort to humanize herself Meg has released a new commercial.

The Republican uses the ad to remind voters of her personal history as a longtime California resident and former chief executive of eBay. In spite of spending more than $160 million on her campaign so far -- including more than $140 million of her own fortune -- Whitman trails her Democratic opponent Jerry Brown in the latest Los Angeles Times poll, 52 percent to 39 percent.

Furthermore, while Brown only gets a 48 percent positive favorability rating in the L.A. Times poll, with 44 percent of voters saying they have an unfavorable view of him, Whitman is even more unpopular -- just 37 percent of voters said they viewed her favorably, while 52 percent said they had an unfavorable view of her. Whitman may have lost ground with voters, according to the L.A. Times, after her former housekeeper charged that Whitman kept her on as an employee, even after learning that the housekeeper was an illegal immigrant.

I love the part where she says she created "thousands of jobs at ebay."

How many did she lay off when shit hit the fan? While taking that 140 Million dollar bonus?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Again - read my link - CALI is in utter freefall as result of your out of control govt. 
lol the sky is falling

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »
lol the sky is falling

Mal = Low information voter part of the 95% who really don't matter electorally.  Sad but true.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
Meg Whitman's son, Griffith Harsh V, accused of sexual assault of Princeton classmate

Former eBay honcho Meg Whitman, who is vying to become California's next governor, was grappling Monday with a damaging report that her oldest son was accused of raping a Princeton classmate four years ago.

Griffith Harsh was hauled before a Princeton disciplinary board after the woman claimed she woke up with a black eye, a bruised face - and Whitman's son on top of her.

"He was like, 'You need the morning-after pill,'" the woman's friend told Gawker.com, which broke the story. "And she was like, 'Why, what happened?' She didn't remember having sex, she didn't remember consenting, she didn't remember any of it."

Harsh admitted he and his accuser had been drinking but insisted the sex was consensual. He blamed her injuries on an accidental fall.

"If I'm to be branded a rapist, for the rest of my life then there should be some evidence of it," Harsh said in 2006 statement that was obtained by Gawker.com.

Harsh's accuser, however, was reluctant to press charges because Whitman gave Princeton $30 million to build a college that bears her name and she feared "social repercussions," the woman's friend told Gawker.

"She didn't want to press charges because it's Meg Whitman's son," the friend said. "She didn't want to go through that. She didn't go to the police. She didn't get a rape kit."

The Princeton committee decided there wasn't enough evidence to expel Harsh, who took a year-long leave of absence and wound up graduating last year.

Gawker reported that it reached Harsh's accuser and she declined to revisit the alleged incident.

Harsh got into trouble before with Princeton in 2005 when as a 20-year-old he got caught trying to buy booze with a phony ID, according to Gawker.

Also, Harsh was arrested shortly after the rape accusation in California after he allegedly broke a woman's ankle during a bar brawl, according a Palo Alto police report.

Whitman bailed her son out of jail and the felony battery charge was eventually dropped for reasons unclear.

Harsh, who is now 25 and lives in Colorado, could not be reached for comment.

There was also no immediate comment from the campaign of Whitman, a Republican locked in a bitter battle with Democrat Jerry Brown.

Whitman has spent millions of her personal fortune in her gubernatorial bid and has enlisted high-profile pols like Mayor Bloomberg to campaign for her.

But Brown leads Whitman in most polls. And Whitman has been branded a hypocrite for fulminating against "illegal workers" on the campaign trail while employing an undocumented woman in her household for many years.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/10/25/2010-10-25_meg_whitmans_son_griffith_harsh_v_accused_of_sexual_assault_of_princeton_classma.html#ixzz13Oupth82

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
Mal = Low information voter part of the 95% who really don't matter electorally.  Sad but true.   

Right..low info?...but i just destryed your thread about "i hate obamacare it raised atlantis med 30%."Oh but it wasnt obama care they were fucked before obama care was inacted

Or your..."Obama sucks he spent 3 trillion" while Most was in Defense, Social Security, and Unemployment (which you dare not touch while the economy was where it was).

OR your "Obama used his cell phone to call SWat team on grandmothers"

Fam i do this shit when i feel like it...

So miss me with the "unimportant vote low information...shit is brass tax when it comes to spending with you..but when the broad quit you want to make excuses right.... give me a mother fucking break....

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
Brown takes credit for... Whitman!  :D