Author Topic: AMERICANS- Still the dumbest Industrialized Nation? Perhaps.  (Read 4779 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
AMERICANS- Still the dumbest Industrialized Nation? Perhaps.
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
On Darwin’s Birthday, Only 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution
Belief drops to 24% among frequent church attenders

by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- On the eve of the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth, a new Gallup Poll shows that only 39% of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution," while a quarter say they do not believe in the theory, and another 36% don't have an opinion either way. These attitudes are strongly related to education and, to an even greater degree, religiosity.

There is a strong relationship between education and belief in Darwin's theory, as might be expected, ranging from 21% of those with high-school educations or less to 74% of those with postgraduate degrees.

Those with high-school educations or less are much more likely to have no opinion than are those who have more formal education. Still, among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it. For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief.

Darwin's theory has been at the forefront of religious debate since he published On the Origin of Species 150 years ago. Even to this day, highly religious individuals claim that the theory of evolution contradicts the story of creation as outlined in the book of Genesis in the Bible.

Thus, it comes as no surprise to find that there is a strong relationship between church attendance and belief in evolution in the current data. Those who attend church most often are the least likely to say they believe in evolution.

Previous Gallup research shows that the rate of church attendance is fairly constant across educational groups, suggesting that this relationship is not owing to an underlying educational difference but instead reflects a direct influence of religious beliefs on belief in evolution.

Younger Americans, who are less likely to be religious than those who are older, are also more likely to believe in evolution. Still, just about half of those aged 18 to 34 say they believe in evolution.

Awareness of Darwin's Association With Evolution

Before respondents in the current poll were asked about their belief in evolution, they were tested to see whether they could correctly associate evolution with Darwin. The results show that 55% of Americans can correctly name evolution (or another term closely associated with evolution, such as natural selection) when asked with which theory they associate Darwin.

Again, as would be expected, correct identification of Darwin with his scientific theory is highly related to education.

Correct identification zooms from only 31% among those with no more than a high school education all the way to 86% among those with postgraduate educations.

Americans who seldom or never attend church are slightly, but not overwhelmingly, more likely to correctly identify Darwin with this theory than are those who attend more often.

Correctly identifying the theory of evolution with Darwin is related to belief in the theory, but 29% of those who correctly link the two still say they do not believe in evolution. Of those who don't know or are unsure which theory Darwin is associated with, almost two-thirds also don't have an opinion on evolution, while those who do have an opinion are split down the middle as to whether they believe it.

Implications

As Darwin is being lauded as one of the most important scientists in history on the 200th anniversary of his birth (on Feb. 12, 1809), it is perhaps dismaying to scientists who study and respect his work to see that well less than half of Americans today say they believe in the theory of evolution, and that just 55% can associate the man with his theory.

Naturally, some of this is because of educational differences. Americans who have lower levels of formal education are significantly less likely than others to be able to identity Darwin with his theory, and to have an opinion on it either way. Still, the evidence is clear that even to this day, Americans' religious beliefs are a significant predictor of their attitudes toward Darwin's theory. Those who attend church most often are the least likely to believe in evolution, and most likely to say they do not believe in it.

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,018 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Feb. 6-7, 2009, as part of Gallup Poll Daily tracking. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on land-line telephones (for respondents with a land-line telephone) and cellular phones (for respondents who are cell-phone only).

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

The Coach

Re: AMERICANS- Still the dumbest Industrialized Nation? Perhaps.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »
On Darwin’s Birthday, Only 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution
Belief drops to 24% among frequent church attenders

by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- On the eve of the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth, a new Gallup Poll shows that only 39% of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution," while a quarter say they do not believe in the theory, and another 36% don't have an opinion either way. These attitudes are strongly related to education and, to an even greater degree, religiosity.

There is a strong relationship between education and belief in Darwin's theory, as might be expected, ranging from 21% of those with high-school educations or less to 74% of those with postgraduate degrees.

Those with high-school educations or less are much more likely to have no opinion than are those who have more formal education. Still, among those with high-school educations or less who have an opinion on Darwin's theory, more say they do not believe in evolution than say they believe in it. For all other groups, and in particular those who have at least a college degree, belief is significantly higher than nonbelief.

Darwin's theory has been at the forefront of religious debate since he published On the Origin of Species 150 years ago. Even to this day, highly religious individuals claim that the theory of evolution contradicts the story of creation as outlined in the book of Genesis in the Bible.

Thus, it comes as no surprise to find that there is a strong relationship between church attendance and belief in evolution in the current data. Those who attend church most often are the least likely to say they believe in evolution.

Previous Gallup research shows that the rate of church attendance is fairly constant across educational groups, suggesting that this relationship is not owing to an underlying educational difference but instead reflects a direct influence of religious beliefs on belief in evolution.

Younger Americans, who are less likely to be religious than those who are older, are also more likely to believe in evolution. Still, just about half of those aged 18 to 34 say they believe in evolution.

Awareness of Darwin's Association With Evolution

Before respondents in the current poll were asked about their belief in evolution, they were tested to see whether they could correctly associate evolution with Darwin. The results show that 55% of Americans can correctly name evolution (or another term closely associated with evolution, such as natural selection) when asked with which theory they associate Darwin.

Again, as would be expected, correct identification of Darwin with his scientific theory is highly related to education.

Correct identification zooms from only 31% among those with no more than a high school education all the way to 86% among those with postgraduate educations.

Americans who seldom or never attend church are slightly, but not overwhelmingly, more likely to correctly identify Darwin with this theory than are those who attend more often.

Correctly identifying the theory of evolution with Darwin is related to belief in the theory, but 29% of those who correctly link the two still say they do not believe in evolution. Of those who don't know or are unsure which theory Darwin is associated with, almost two-thirds also don't have an opinion on evolution, while those who do have an opinion are split down the middle as to whether they believe it.

Implications

As Darwin is being lauded as one of the most important scientists in history on the 200th anniversary of his birth (on Feb. 12, 1809), it is perhaps dismaying to scientists who study and respect his work to see that well less than half of Americans today say they believe in the theory of evolution, and that just 55% can associate the man with his theory.

Naturally, some of this is because of educational differences. Americans who have lower levels of formal education are significantly less likely than others to be able to identity Darwin with his theory, and to have an opinion on it either way. Still, the evidence is clear that even to this day, Americans' religious beliefs are a significant predictor of their attitudes toward Darwin's theory. Those who attend church most often are the least likely to believe in evolution, and most likely to say they do not believe in it.

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,018 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Feb. 6-7, 2009, as part of Gallup Poll Daily tracking. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on land-line telephones (for respondents with a land-line telephone) and cellular phones (for respondents who are cell-phone only).

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

Are those the people who voted for Obama?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
thank god for stupid americans if it werent for them i wouldnt be classified as smart!
A

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
Gallop polls are by no means any indication of judging a nations overall intelligence.

dustin

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:33 PM »
I'm not going to look at all those fancy graphs. Satan put them "dinosaur bones" in the Earth to test our faith. Salvation is MINE!! ;D

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
I blame the shitty educational systems as well as our culture. Americans simply don't prize intelligent like other nations do. People who don't believe in Evolution are truly idiots.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
living in the U.S. i do find it embarrassing that there are that many people out there that are disillusioned.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »
[Idiot creationist]

Yea...We share 98% of our DNA with Chimps because we "have the same creator".

All of those genuine transitional fossils are simply coincidences.

The irrefutable genetic proof is a trick by Satan!

Evolution is just a theory!

Darwin recanted on his deathbed!

Why are there still monkeys if we came from monkeys?  ;D

I'm too stupid to conceive of humans evolving from microscopic organic material, therefore it never happened!

Many things are too complex to have evolved, even though scientists know by detail how they evolved!

[/idiot creationist]

I think I just used 90% of the claims against evolution.

[idiot creationist]
But wait...There are a few anti-evolution websites with a ton of articles that I've never read written by more idiots who claim to be real scientists even though they never publish actual papers in actual journals.
[/idiot creationist]

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
I like the nice green charts.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
Yawn.
True Anus, don't you get tired of starting boring ass threads like this?

I'll wait for your gimmicks to commence the attack. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
sigh adonis you might have some weighting on this one but you have a terrible track record

"SMART WORK > HARD WORK" shut the fuck up downy

effort > laziness

clearly you don't know this you low bracketed beanpole

Razor Ripped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Fixer!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
so how come we are not all monkeys?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
i believe in evolution, i dont think anyone with at least half a brain doesnt. yes living beings change and adapt over time. but to say humans came from a monkey is idiotic.

Razor Ripped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Fixer!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
i believe in evolution, i dont think anyone with at least half a brain doesnt. yes living beings change and adapt over time. but to say humans came from a monkey is idiotic.

we came from monkeys, all monkeys turned human, don't argue about the different species of monkies, they are all one and we are it.

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »
i believe in evolution, i dont think anyone with at least half a brain doesnt. yes living beings change and adapt over time.
but to say humans came from a monkey is idiotic.

Fair enough,we share a common ancestor?  ???

Razor Ripped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Fixer!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 10:13:56 PM »
Fair enough,we share a common ancestor?  my grandma looked like a monkey

fixed

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
I blame the shitty educational systems as well as our culture. Americans simply don't prize intelligent like other nations do. People who don't believe in Evolution are truly idiots.

Exactly. Look at the people that are "glorified" and "admired" in our society. Rappers, Movie stars, shitty musicians, pro athletes (scum of the fucking earth, drug abusers, primadonnas, cheaters, self absorbed pieces of shit). Yet the people who make a difference in others' lives, you do not hear about.

But we have plenty of tv shows depicting and glorifying the "celebrities". Most are people with sub-par IQ's, which I guess is why they are so popular to begin with, since we have so many idiots in our society. There was a time, when you actually had to posses some kind of talent or ability, to achieve celebrity status....now all you have to do is be a whore on video tape, or a former drug dealer who bitches about everything, and loves getting high.   
HAHA, RON.....

Eat2Grow

• Getbig IV
  • Carne Asada Fries=Carb Day
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »

Case in point,,,even evolusiontists don't subscribe.

No fact AT ALL in Evolution.  Close, but no cigar ring a bell  when talking about genes.... everything is close... show me right, you can't.   The link is STILL and always will be MISSING.  Can't fins what doesn't exist.
D

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »
Pretty sure Americans are not a Nation at all...

Razor Ripped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Fixer!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
Pretty sure Americans are not a Nation at all... my country just hosted the olympic games

fixed

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »

Case in point,,,even evolusiontists don't subscribe.

No fact AT ALL in Evolution.  Close, but no cigar ring a bell  when talking about genes.... everything is close... show me right, you can't.   The link is STILL and always will be MISSING.  Can't fins what doesn't exist.

By the ignorance of Team Nasser!

Eat2Grow

• Getbig IV
  • Carne Asada Fries=Carb Day
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »
Wow ,, by the huh?  Webcke has a gimmick account it appears.
D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »
Wow ,, by the huh?  Webcke has a gimmick account it appears.

ahahha.....im so deep in your head.

lmao....and your 31...wow, this is pretty sad.
No doubt about it...

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 02:00:10 AM »
Yes!! the first time I'm accused of being a gimmick! Now I have truly reached the pinnacle of Getbig!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 02:02:13 AM »
Are those the people who voted for Obama?
LOL. I know, and you know that you're not the sharpest tool in the shed...but why on on earth do you have to proclaim it with every post!?  :)