Author Topic: Why people believe in conspiracy theories......  (Read 913 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Why people believe in conspiracy theories......
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »
An article i found...

by Bruce Schneier

So what kind of thought processes contribute to belief in conspiracy theories? A study I carried out in 2002 explored a way of thinking sometimes called “major event - major cause�? reasoning. Essentially, people often assume that an event with substantial, significant or wide-ranging consequences is likely to have been caused by something substantial, significant or wide-ranging.

I gave volunteers variations of a newspaper story describing an assassination attempt on a fictitious president. Those who were given the version where the president died were significantly more likely to attribute the event to a conspiracy than those who read the one where the president survived, even though all other aspects of the story were equivalent.

To appreciate why this form of reasoning is seductive, consider the alternative: major events having minor or mundane causes -- for example, the assassination of a president by a single, possibly mentally unstable, gunman, or the death of a princess because of a drunk driver. This presents us with a rather chaotic and unpredictable relationship between cause and effect. Instability makes most of us uncomfortable; we prefer to imagine we live in a predictable, safe world, so in a strange way, some conspiracy theories offer us accounts of events that allow us to retain a sense of safety and predictability.

Other research has examined how the way we search for and evaluate evidence affects our belief systems. Numerous studies have shown that in general, people give greater attention to information that fits with their existing beliefs, a tendency called “confirmation bias�?. Reasoning about conspiracy theories follows this pattern, as shown by research I carried out with Marco Cinnirella at the Royal Holloway University of London, which we presented at the British Psychological Society conference in 2005.

The study, which again involved giving volunteers fictional accounts of an assassination attempt, showed that conspiracy believers found new information to be more plausible if it was consistent with their beliefs. Moreover, believers considered that ambiguous or neutral information fitted better with the conspiracy explanation, while non-believers felt it fitted better with the non-conspiracy account. The same piece of evidence can be used by different people to support very different accounts of events.

This fits with the observation that conspiracy theories often mutate over time in light of new or contradicting evidence. So, for instance, if some new information appears to undermine a conspiracy theory, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the theorists question the legitimacy of the new information. Theorists often argue that those who present such information are themselves embroiled in the conspiracy. In fact, because of my research, I have been accused of being secretly in the pay of various western intelligence services (I promise, I haven’t seen a penny).

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/08/conspiracy_theo.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Why people believe in conspiracy theories......
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »
I may have seen this before..but he's right, the CT evolves. How many Ct's has anybody ever excepted as false and left to die, none....they just change the rules.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »
The popularly accepted narrative of 19 highjackers is also a CT

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
well since we can carry out our own studies, I did a study of my own. ;D  After questioning hundreds of subjects, I've concluded ignorance is bliss.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
Why do people believe in conspiracy theories...? Because every conspiracy theory is grounded in truth and until the facts are investigated and sorted out the theory will continue to provoke interest. In so far as the WTC goes...given all of the obvious facts of building never ever having fallen before and the poor investigations done by the US government and the extremely questionable military activity on that day...the public questions are right in order.
C

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »
This fits with the observation that conspiracy theories often mutate over time in light of new or contradicting evidence. So, for instance, if some new information appears to undermine a conspiracy theory, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the theorists question the legitimacy of the new information. Theorists often argue that those who present such information are themselves embroiled in the conspiracy. In fact, because of my research, I have been accused of being secretly in the pay of various western intelligence services (I promise, I haven’t seen a penny).

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/08/conspiracy_theo.html

Interesting article.  This part is absolutely true.

In my experience one of the common threads among people who believe in multiple, ridiculous conspiracy theories is a lack of real world experience and not enough interaction with a broad range of people in the community.  

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
I may have seen this before..but he's right, the CT evolves. How many Ct's has anybody ever excepted as false and left to die, none....they just change the rules.
Haha.
Totally agree.
Those clowns just can't accept irregularities.
There is a explanation to every horror.
Btw, the same could be said for all these religious nutjobs.
They cannot accept that there is no 'bigger picture'. 8)   
As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
well since we can carry out our own studies, I did a study of my own. ;D  After questioning hundreds of subjects, I've concluded ignorance is bliss.

I've concluded that the majority of posters here lacking anything beyond a high school education are usually the very same retards perpetuating every conspiracy theory.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:00:09 AM »
I've concluded that the majority of posters here lacking anything beyond a high school education are usually the very same retards perpetuating every conspiracy theory.

Are all conspiracy theories bullshit in your opinion?

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
BerzerkFury = DUMB FUCK
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:51 AM »

You are too narrow-minded to ever contribute constructively to any field.
You don't even realize where facts come from:-\

A pussy of a mind and a bitch by nature, you, BerzerkFury, have successfully established yourself as one dumb fuck.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »

Furthermore their high school education didn't include any physics or mathematics higher than 1+1=2 and the apple fell on Newton.

Maybe it's just their personality, I have plenty of B.Sc/M.Sc/Ph.D that most of the time don't really have a through understanding of what they do and have no real deep understanding of the mathematics and physics they mess with.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »
Furthermore their high school education didn't include any physics or mathematics higher than 1+1=2 and the apple fell on Newton.

Maybe it's just their personality, I have plenty of B.Sc/M.Sc/Ph.D that most of the time don't really have a through understanding of what they do and have no real deep understanding of the mathematics and physics they mess with.

Your english sucks.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:22 AM »
Your english sucks.

It happens when you speak more than one language, try it.....

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 12:55:05 AM »

So, are you going with your first point or your second?

Your first point was that people lack higher-level education...
Your second was that the higher level education doesn't matter because many with it don't truly understand it.

Epic contradiction.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »
So, are you going with your first point or your second?

Your first point was that people lack higher-level education...
Your second was that the higher level education doesn't matter because many with it don't truly understand it.

Epic contradiction.

No contradiction, most here are uneducated and admit it, my other point was that SOME people can only memorize and not understand.

Two completely independent statements which you can't comprehend.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »
Hold up folks, we have another board genius on our hands :D

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
No contradiction, most here are uneducated and admit it, my other point was that SOME people can only memorize and not understand.

Two completely independent statements which you can't comprehend.
I understand and I agree with your second statement 100%. Some people can simply regurgitate information.

That's not the problem. This is:
You're claiming this means "most here are uneducated and admit it?"  ::)

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:48 AM »
I understand and I agree with your second statement 100%. Some people can simply regurgitate information.

That's not the problem. This is:You're claiming this means "most here are uneducated and admit it?"  ::)

They do, check who here have actually bothered really checking anything they claim?

240 is so proud of his MBA from some shit face college yet he was totally owned by one simple equation and countless logical statements.

It's not my fault that some here , come here only to be heard and only make themself look like fools.

On the other hand, you got the people who actually think that you can't compare two buildings that were built in a time difference of half a century by a 20sec video..these people have some common sense, no matter if they got a high school diploma of post Ph.D.