Author Topic: The Stimulus Package  (Read 17615 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The Stimulus Package
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »
Since no Repubs in the House voted for it shouldn't they really refuse to accept any of the $$$?

I mean it's not going to create any jobs anyway  ::) so it really won't make any difference if they don't take the $$$.

Come on Repubs - That would be walkng your talk

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: The Stimulus Package
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
Since no Repubs in the House voted for it shouldn't they really refuse to accept any of the $$$?

hahaha palin, crist, and arnold lining up to kiss obama's ass for the $.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
What I want to know is where is the money coming from? 

Inhofe: Stimulus Largest Spending Bill in History

Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:26 PM

By: Senator Jim Inhofe

Sadly, America just embarked on an unprecedented slide toward the failed model of the stagnant Western European social welfare state. The lost wealth creation, lost jobs, crushed innovation, and quite simply the encroachment of economic freedoms contained in this bill mark one of the most ghastly turning points in U.S. economic history. This day and this vote will long live as the day America turned its back on its reliance on free men and free markets.

Today the Democrats voted to pass the largest spending bill in the history of the world.

Editor�s Note: To see Sen. Inhofe's video, Go Here Now.

In just the few short hours that the final version of the massive stimulus bill had been posted online for the public to review, we had discovered a multitude of outlandish provisions in this legislation.

Just imagine, if we had just a little more time, how much more we could have exposed!

But Democrats in Congress were anxious to pass this bill before the American public found out exactly what was in there. The House did, with zero Republicans voting for the bill and six Democrats joining in opposition.

Our ground troops were hard at work. I want to thank all of you, from the Heritage Foundation and Americans for Prosperity to talk radio leaders to bloggers to the thousands of conservative activists who poured through every square inch of this bill to expose just a few of the ridiculous items in this bill.

Here are some of the more outrageous items included in this massive spending bill already to have been exposed:

# This bill provides more than $1 billion dollars to create a new layer of bureaucracy within the Department of Health and Human Services laying the groundwork for Hillary Health Care. Basically, this bill contains a provision that could lead to the rationing of health care for Americans in the future.

# Next, there is a provision within the Stimulus Package that prohibits colleges and universities with a religious mission, those that allow faith-based student groups, or those who rent their facilities for worship services from receiving federal funding for building renovations and repairs. This is clearly discrimination and a violation of our religious liberties and could lead to costly litigation for these institutions.

# On tax cuts, the news doesn't get any better. The bill went into conference with 35% tax cuts and 65% spending. It's coming out of conference with 27% tax cuts and 73% spending. The tax relief portion amounts to $8 dollars in additional take-home pay per week for the average American worker, or a little more than an extra $1 dollar per day.

# This bill will contribute to a $3.5 trillion expansion of federal debt in 2009 and 2010--a staggering $30,000 in new debt per household, dumped into the laps of our children and grandchildren.

So there you have it. But remember 1992 -- the Democrats controlled everything -- the White House -- the House and the Senate -- and what happened? Spending skyrocketed, Hillary Health Care... you remember. But you also remember what happened in 1994. You know, history does have a way of repeating itself.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/inhofe_stimulus_spending/2009/02/14/181975.html

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »

I mean it's not going to create any jobs anyway  ::) so it really won't make any difference if they don't take the $$$.

Did you read the bill? Do you think it'll put America back on track? Why do we want to go back to the economy we had 4 years ago when it was a phony economy as the Fed has already admitted? Should politicans be voting for something they didn't even have a chance to read? Is that fair to Americans? Just asking for an opinion, no sarcasm on my part. Thanks.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
Did you read the bill? Do you think it'll put America back on track? Why do we want to go back to the economy we had 4 years ago when it was a phony economy as the Fed has already admitted? Should politicans be voting for something they didn't even have a chance to read? Is that fair to Americans? Just asking for an opinion, no sarcasm on my part. Thanks.

I agree that the process where they vote of the huge bills that they've never even read is weird but it's nothing new (which doesn't justify it).   The same is true of the Patriot Act and the Iraq War legislation etc...

Honestly - the hole we find ourselves in thanks to reckless republican (and plenty of dems) borrowering and spending is probably going to make things fucked up for years to come.    I have no clue if this bill will help but the guy I voted for President wants it so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and actually wait for some results before passing judgement

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »

again if they can abstain from paying for this spending fiasco im sure most of them would say no to the money, simply creating jobs is one thing, creating jobs in the most efficient way possible as to get the economy going now is another this bill doesnt do that.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
I agree that the process where they vote of the huge bills that they've never even read is weird but it's nothing new (which doesn't justify it).   The same is true of the Patriot Act and the Iraq War legislation etc...

Honestly - the hole we find ourselves in thanks to reckless republican (and plenty of dems) borrowering and spending is probably going to make things fucked up for years to come.    I have no clue if this bill will help but the guy I voted for President wants it so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and actually wait for some results before passing judgement

Fair enough. the real problem I have with the whole thing is that they are trying to take the economy back to where it was 4 years ago but that economy was a mirage and that's what the market is telling us today. What is so hard to understand about this? The constant intervention and bubble creation in the economy has to stop.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
again if they can abstain from paying for this spending fiasco im sure most of them would say no to the money, simply creating jobs is one thing, creating jobs in the most efficient way possible as to get the economy going now is another this bill doesnt do that.

I know what you mean.  I would have preferred none of my tax $$$'s went to that spending fiasco in Iraq and it's to bad with this legislation that I won't get to throw around bundles of 100 dollar bills like a football.  I wonder if Obama's crew will show up in my neighborhood with bags full of cash and just start handing it out like we did in Iraq

Let's be honest - neither you nor I or anyone will know how effective this bill will be in re-igniting the economy for at least 12 months

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »
Fair enough. the real problem I have with the whole thing is that they are trying to take the economy back to where it was 4 years ago but that economy was a mirage and that's what the market is telling us today. What is so hard to understand about this? The constant intervention and bubble creation in the economy has to stop.

I really think (hope) the plan is to get some much needed work done here in the US (I believe Reagan was the first Prez to defer maintenance of infrastructure as part of his plan to trim costs to pay for his tax cuts) and to prime the pump so to speak for the rest of the economy.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
I know what you mean.  I would have preferred none of my tax $$$'s went to that spending fiasco in Iraq and it's to bad with this legislation that I won't get to throw around bundles of 100 dollar bills like a football.  I wonder if Obama's crew will show up in my neighborhood with bags full of cash and just start handing it out like we did in Iraq

Let's be honest - neither you nor I or anyone will know how effective this bill will be in re-igniting the economy for at least 12 months
LOL bro you keep harping on bushes fiascos and thats fine seems like barry is setting up to screw things up too and your whole heartedly behind him.

LOL your right we have no idea which is why they need to SLOW THE FUK DOWN and process this so that it WILL have a direct and quick impact, not one that will take 2 yrs to show up, not one that has pet projects etc... NOBODY EVEN READ THE BILL BEFORE THEY VOTED ON IT you dont see a problem with that? oh but its business as usual  ::) this is 800 fuking billion dollars bro taxes up our asses for generations and we cant even take time to READ THE FUKER  ::) this will be barrys downfall and he deserves it if he lets this thing through.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
anything that is in this bill that gets passed into legislation will be on barrys head as either him approving of it or at the very least not disapproving of it as you heard the man say "line by line" as in he will go over spending line by line.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
LOL bro you keep harping on bushes fiascos and thats fine seems like barry is setting up to screw things up too and your whole heartedly behind him.

LOL your right we have no idea which is why they need to SLOW THE FUK DOWN and process this so that it WILL have a direct and quick impact, not one that will take 2 yrs to show up, not one that has pet projects etc... NOBODY EVEN READ THE BILL BEFORE THEY VOTED ON IT you dont see a problem with that? oh but its business as usual  ::) this is 800 fuking billion dollars bro taxes up our asses for generations and we cant even take time to READ THE FUKER  ::) this will be barrys downfall and he deserves it if he lets this thing through.

I think I've mentioned a few times now that I'm pretty much giving Obama the benefit of the doubt (for now -) on most stuff even though he's done plenty of things I don't like.    Frankly, I think he's wasting too much time and giving up too much of what he wants in an effort to be bi-partisan.   I think the guy is far from perfect but I thought the same thing about Bush and I truely remember telling people when Bush got elected that I was going to give him time to do something and hope that he would rise to the occassion. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
I think I've mentioned a few times now that I'm pretty much giving Obama the benefit of the doubt (for now -) on most stuff even though he's done plenty of things I don't like.    Frankly, I think he's wasting too much time and giving up too much of what he wants in an effort to be bi-partisan.   I think the guy is far from perfect but I thought the same thing about Bush and I truely remember telling people when Bush got elected that I was going to give him time to do something and hope that he would rise to the occassion. 
how did you feel that approach worked out for you on bush? You cant sit on your hands and expect him to do right...Look i agree that something needs to be done quickly that doesnt trump the idea that this bill will be paid for by generations to come and need to be done in a well thought out deliberate manner, not rushed through by ppl trying to get pet projects funded, voted on but never read, shit just crossed out and scribbled by hand. He isnt being bi partisan, the bill was called on shit that SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE and he called for it to be taken out...thats not bi partisanship thats being called out for shit that shouldnt happen. He is really doing nothing more then saving face so he can say its bi partisan. This is not a funds bill this is a stimulus bill, you understand the difference? This bill should go into effect right away and in areas with the best bang for the buck, not field mice, not trolly lines or whatever it is etc...I understand that there will probably never be a point where everyone agrees on everything but thats no excuse for the shit that is being pulled right now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »

Word. 

How in the world can they vote on a bill they haven't read?  Particularly one of this magnitude?  Scary.   :-\

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »
how did you feel that approach worked out for you on bush? You cant sit on your hands and expect him to do right...Look i agree that something needs to be done quickly that doesnt trump the idea that this bill will be paid for by generations to come and need to be done in a well thought out deliberate manner, not rushed through by ppl trying to get pet projects funded, voted on but never read, shit just crossed out and scribbled by hand. He isnt being bi partisan, the bill was called on shit that SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE and he called for it to be taken out...thats not bi partisanship thats being called out for shit that shouldnt happen. He is really doing nothing more then saving face so he can say its bi partisan. This is not a funds bill this is a stimulus bill, you understand the difference? This bill should go into effect right away and in areas with the best bang for the buck, not field mice, not trolly lines or whatever it is etc...I understand that there will probably never be a point where everyone agrees on everything but thats no excuse for the shit that is being pulled right now.

Tell me what "shit" you're talking about.

Most bills have all kinds of things in them that have nothing to do the title of the legislation.  That's nothing new. They can call the bill whatever they'd like.  The primary purpose is to prime the pump for the economy.  Is there some extra stuff in there?  No doubt.  I don't give a shit.  I don't remember Repubs bitching at other Repubs when they wasted all our money on their stupid pet projects One example - Republican Senator Grassley and his $50 million dollar indoor rain forest (of course Grassley is against the current legislation).  Kind of funny eh?

I gave Bush the benefit of the doubt because he was new and I wanted to give him a chance to do something first.  I figured he would suck but I had no idea at the time just how bad it would be.  I'm giving Obama the same chance and he's done a lot more to reach out to Repubs than Bush ever did and pretty much all they've done is spit in his face. 

I'm really not spending much time right now thinking about politics.  Wake me up if Obama ignores a PDB and let's us get attacked or if he starts a senseless war.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
Tell me what "shit" you're talking about.

Most bills have all kinds of things in them that have nothing to do the title of the legislation.  That's nothing new. They can call the bill whatever they'd like.  The primary purpose is to prime the pump for the economy.  Is there some extra stuff in there?  No doubt.  I don't give a shit.  I don't remember Repubs bitching at other Repubs when they wasted all our money on their stupid pet projects One example - Republican Senator Grassley and his $50 million dollar indoor rain forest (of course Grassley is against the current legislation).  Kind of funny eh?

I gave Bush the benefit of the doubt because he was new and I wanted to give him a chance to do something first.  I figured he would suck but I had no idea at the time just how bad it would be.  I'm giving Obama the same chance and he's done a lot more to reach out to Repubs than Bush ever did and pretty much all they've done is spit in his face. 

I'm really not spending much time right now thinking about politics.  Wake me up if Obama ignores a PDB and let's us get attacked or if he starts a senseless war.
dude youre starting to talk like an idiot bro...how is giving money to save field mice gonna prime and pump the economy? youve heard the ridiculous shit thats in this bill bro its all over the news and this board you choose to turn a blind eye or say "hey it creates jobs"  ::) everything creates jobs that doesnt mean its worth it.

How has obama reached out to the republicans?

How have they spit in his face?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
I always find it interesting when people use bad ideas of the past to try and jusitfy a bad idea for the future. It's like 2nd graders who try to jusitfy their bad behavior because the other kid did it too.

Why don't we try to use better examples in history to develop ideas instead of using shit examples to try and pretty up a questionable bill? If the excuse is, "it can't be as bad as the last guy..." well, that doesnt make me feel any better, if the improvment is negligable.

It doesn't help anyone, in my humble opinion.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »
I always find it interesting when people use bad ideas of the past to try and jusitfy a bad idea for the future. It's like 2nd graders who try to jusitfy their bad behavior because the other kid did it too.

Why don't we try to use better examples in history to develop ideas instead of using shit examples to try and pretty up a questionable bill?

It doesn't help anyone, in my humble opinion.
very true alot of ppl who bitched about how bush ran the country are now using it to justify obamas actions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
Where is the money coming from? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »
dude youre starting to talk like an idiot bro...how is giving money to save field mice gonna prime and pump the economy? youve heard the ridiculous shit thats in this bill bro its all over the news and this board you choose to turn a blind eye or say "hey it creates jobs"  ::) everything creates jobs that doesnt mean its worth it. How has obama reached out to the republicans?  How have they spit in his face?

oh we're going with talking points now?

$30 million in an almost 800 Billion dollar bill and Pelosi says she had nothing to do with it:

A spokesman for Mrs. Pelosi, California Democrat, said the claim was "fabricated" by Republicans.

"The speaker nor her staff have had any involvement in this initiative. This is yet another contrived partisan attack," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. "Restoration is key to economic activity including farming, fisheries, recreation, and clean water."

By spit in his face, I should have clarified that I was talking about Judd Gregg who approached the Obama administration for the job of Secretary of Commerce and went on TV saying he supported the stimulus pakcage only to bail out even though there had been no material changes to the legislation.  That is bizarre behaviour and I would characterize it as spitting in his face.   

Seriously - I just don't care that much about the stimulus bill (as if it matters what any of us think).   I've said this before - I'm going to give Obama (and the Dems) a pass on pretty much everything and let things play out a bit.  The guy has been in office for less than a month and the last guy check out mentally years ago.  Obama has a massive shit storm to try to fix and if he needs to blow off some steam by clubbing baby seals on the front lawn of the White House you won't hear any objection from me .....at least for now.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
Where is the money coming from? 

maybe the same place we got the trillion dollars and counting for the pointless war in Iraq

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
oh we're going with talking points now?

$30 million in an almost 800 Billion dollar bill and Pelosi says she had nothing to do with it:

A spokesman for Mrs. Pelosi, California Democrat, said the claim was "fabricated" by Republicans.

"The speaker nor her staff have had any involvement in this initiative. This is yet another contrived partisan attack," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. "Restoration is key to economic activity including farming, fisheries, recreation, and clean water."

By spit in his face, I should have clarified that I was talking about Judd Gregg who approached the Obama administration for the job of Secretary of Commerce and went on TV saying he supported the stimulus pakcage only to bail out even though there had been no material changes to the legislation.  That is bizarre behaviour and I would characterize it as spitting in his face.   

Seriously - I just don't care that much about the stimulus bill (as if it matters what any of us think).   I've said this before - I'm going to give Obama (and the Dems) a pass on pretty much everything and let things play out a bit.  The guy has been in office for less than a month and the last guy check out mentally years ago.  Obama has a massive shit storm to try to fix and if he needs to blow off some steam by clubbing baby seals on the front lawn of the White House you won't hear any objection from me .....at least for now.
First i never said anything about pelosi or it being her idea or whatever IT DOESNT MATTER WHOS IDEA IT IS ITS NOT NECISSARY IN THIS BILL.

Dude you dont know what happened with gregg, obama ran on being a bi partisan president with bi partisan actions and ideals...he has certainly been anything but gregg could have thought that when he accepted the bid and then realized that obama wasnt living up to his word and bailed especially with the next round of bank bail outs coming down the line.

Again two wrongs dont make a right

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
maybe the same place we got the trillion dollars and counting for the pointless war in Iraq
again justifying barrys actions with actions by bush which you dont approve of?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
again justifying barrys actions with actions by bush which you dont approve of?

I support Obama's actions

I don't need to justfiy them