Author Topic: Pics for vet  (Read 3851 times)

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Pics for vet
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Swollen sheath

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Re: Pics for vet
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »
It just started real bad this morning, I was gonna give him some yogurt so the cultures could try to work out an infection, but dont know if thats what it is.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Ok, has there been any history of traume? Even rough play with the other dog?

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
Maybe we have another pit and a 4 week old puppy right now. It's possible that they were playing to rough, but nothing that is showing any marks on his sheath

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
It seems to be getting sensitive as it gets bigger, Should i try some yogurt and see if it will help, Can I use some IBprufin for his swelling. My wife said she used to give it to her rotts for there hip displacia for pain a stiffness, but how much should i give him

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
It seems to be getting sensitive as it gets bigger, Should i try some yogurt and see if it will help, Can I use some IBprufin for his swelling. My wife said she used to give it to her rotts for there hip displacia for pain a stiffness, but how much should i give him

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I can help you much from those pictures.  In my opinion, he needs to be seen by a veterinarian.   If he's not having difficulty urinating and doesn't seem excessively painful, its probably something that can wait through the weekend, but the longer the swelling is present, the greater the risk of there being problems.  If he seems to have problems urinating or shows signs of severe pain, get him in ASAP.   Remember this is a pitbull, he can be increadibly stoic and may not show pain.  Watch him closely for subtle changes--including decreased appetite, hunching of the abdomen, whining, licking, and straining to defecate. 

From the pictures, that doesn't appear to be swelling of the penis itself, it appears to be swelling of the prepuce and abdomen right around the prepuce.  That can occur for a variety of reasons, from insect bites, to trauma (usually there is bruising or a history of rough dog play. That said, I've seen a pit with a penis like that after the dog growled at his other dog and he kicked him really hard in the "belly".) to localized vasculitis from allergic reactions (the prepuce is the most pendulus portion of the abomen, so edema can pool there) to edema secondary from subcutanous fluids administered for medical reasons (again fluid flowing down).  It can also occur from more severe problems like tumors (not too likely considering age), infection (due to infection in the bladder or localized abcess---look for a draining tract), self stimulation (I've seen boxers --my own   :-[  --who literally lick and lick and tongue themselves until they look like that).  Weird presentations of diseases, like Rocky Mountian Spotted fever can also cause prepucial swelling along with a ruptured urethra secondary to a urethral calculi (a stone) can appear that way.  I've also seen it with a dog that a stupid kid wrapped string around the base of the penis. 

In many cases antiinflammatories will help.  The problem with NSAIDS is thier effects on bleeding and the vascular system.  I'm reluctant to give advice on them online because if he's bleeding under the skin and for some odd reason its not visible in the pictures you've posted NSAIDS may not be indicated.  Steroids may be much more appropriate.  That said, you can find doses for aspirin online and you can find good antinflammatory (and general veterinary drug and disease) information at www.veterinarypartner.co m

The veterinarian you take him too should do a thorough physical examination with a rectal exam.  The blood vessels that drain that area flow from the pelvis down, so a mass or problem in or around the deep tissues of the pelvis my contribute to prepucial swelling.  Radiographs may be indicated depending on the physical examination.   These would be to look specifically for stones in the urethra and a broken penis bone.   Blood work may also be indicated depending on the physical exam.   

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »
Thank you for all your advice. I gave him a ibuprofen and some good yogurt, so I am gonna monitor his swelling, and see if he needs to go in on Monday. Now that I think of it he was licking himself a lot last night, but not really today. He is getting some sensitiveness but it has swelled significantly more since the pictures were taking, so I can imagine the area is tender. I will watch it, if he has to go in i will pay the $175 Vet E.R bill.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »
Thank you for all your advice. I gave him a ibuprofen and some good yogurt, so I am gonna monitor his swelling, and see if he needs to go in on Monday. Now that I think of it he was licking himself a lot last night, but not really today. He is getting some sensitiveness but it has swelled significantly more since the pictures were taking, so I can imagine the area is tender. I will watch it, if he has to go in i will pay the $175 Vet E.R bill.

That type of swelling can come from excessive autostimulation.  Unfortunately a dog will lick himself if he's painful. 

Keep an eye on him.  Feel free to post in this thread or PM if there are any questions.  I'll be on and off line tonight and tomorrow earlier in the day.  I'll try to help if I can. 

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:08 PM »
That type of swelling can come from excessive autostimulation.  Unfortunately a dog will lick himself if he's painful. 

Keep an eye on him.  Feel free to post in this thread or PM if there are any questions.  I'll be on and off line tonight and tomorrow earlier in the day.  I'll try to help if I can. 

Thanks again man.....you've been a big help.  I'll definitely keep you posted.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
It is still a bit puffy, but looks a lot better today. 8) He was licking it last night and this morning, but it was seeping a clear non smelling goop. I gave him a second helping of yogurt today and a half of ibuprofen, so I think it was some kind of  infection. we will see if it gets completely back to normal.  Thanks man for your help!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you want to avoid ibuprofen and acetaminophen with dogs (toxic to liver?).  Pure, pain aspirin is A-OK but not other anti-inflams.  I hope your guy is okay.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
From that site Vet posted:

Medications: Some medications that are safe for us are not safe for pets: Tylenol (acetaminophen)  is deadly poison to cats; No-Doz may cause convulsions in both cats and dogs;  Solarcaine may cause anemia in cats; Advil (ibuprofen) may cause kidney damage or gastric ulcers in dogs.
:

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you want to avoid ibuprofen and acetaminophen with dogs (toxic to liver?).  Pure, pain aspirin is A-OK but not other anti-inflams.  I hope your guy is okay.

Ahh ok.  I have low-dose 81mg.  Would that suffice?  The IBU seems to have taken some of the swelling down.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »

Ibuprofen can be used in dogs.  There are published doses for this drug that can be found on the internet.  The number one side effect is vomiting and gastric ulceration.   There are other NSAIDS which both work better and which have a higher safety margin. 

Aspirin has a higher safety factor---ie it takes a higer dose to cause problems but in some dogs it appears to have minimal effects.

I'd avoid acetominaphen like the plague. 

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »
Ibuprofen can be used in dogs.  There are published doses for this drug that can be found on the internet.  The number one side effect is vomiting and gastric ulceration.   There are other NSAIDS which both work better and which have a higher safety margin. 

Aspirin has a higher safety factor---ie it takes a higer dose to cause problems but in some dogs it appears to have minimal effects.

I'd avoid acetominaphen like the plague. 

Swelling has gone down some and the redness is completely gone.  It dosen't seem to be bothering him anymore pain wise at least.  Been giving him 1/2 cup of plain yogurt mixed w/brown rice 2-3x a day and the IBU at night.  I have noticed that he has a considerable amount of discharge now.  Hoping it continues to improve....

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Quick update....he's getting betterbyt the day....still a bit swollen but coming down.  Weird shit....never had anyting like this happen in all my years of owning dogs.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
BigMenace do you have any other pics of your pup you would like to post that are not close-ups of his penis :)

And pics of the other dog and puppy  :D  too please when you have time.
R

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
BigMenace do you have any other pics of your pup you would like to post that are not close-ups of his penis :)

And pics of the other dog and puppy  :D  too please when you have time.

HAHAH...yeah I'll throw some up in the pic thread  ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »
HAHAH...yeah I'll throw some up in the pic thread  ;D

;D
R