Author Topic: Obama Plan on Housing Said to Push on Lenders  (Read 483 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Obama Plan on Housing Said to Push on Lenders
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »

Vowing to fight eviction, Frank Torres barricaded himself in his foreclosed house in Carson, Calif., for several hours last week.

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s plan to reduce the flood of home foreclosures will include a mix of government inducements and new pressure on lenders to reduce monthly payments for borrowers at risk of losing their houses, according to people knowledgeable about the administration’s thinking.

The plan, to be announced Wednesday, is expected to include government subsidies for reducing a borrower’s interest rate, which a lender would have to match with its own money.

But officials cautioned that subsidies for lower interest rates would not in themselves help many troubled homeowners, because lenders were still likely to view many of those borrowers as bad risks and refuse to restructure their loans. As a result, they have been casting about for sticks as well as carrots to persuade the lenders to take part.

Exactly what kind of pressure Mr. Obama would bring to bear remains unclear. One possibility is a stepped-up effort to enact legislation that would give bankruptcy judges new power to restructure mortgages and reduce a borrower’s payments.

That change, sometimes described as a mortgage “cram-down,” would greatly increase the bargaining power of borrowers in negotiating new loan terms with their lenders. The banking industry has vehemently opposed it, warning that investors will stop financing mortgages if they know that a judge can unilaterally change the terms at a later date.

But Mr. Obama and Democratic leaders in Congress support the change, and Democratic lawmakers had already been planning to attach such a measure to a catch-all spending bill that Congress will soon have to pass to keep the government running.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/washington/17housing.html?_r=1&ref=business

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama Plan on Housing Said to Push on Lenders
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
Homes are still to expensive relative to average income.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Frank Torres shouldn't have bought a home he couldn't afford.

This nonsense with refusing to obey the law only make him look like a person who breaks the law AND cannot manage his finances.

if all my income dried up tomorrow, i'd be working at mcD and living in a trailer.  I wouldn't be pouting on the news about how it's not my fault I'm in this jam.  I'd get a book on plumbing and become the best plumber in the trailer park.  Then I'd hire a dimwitted gimp to run the plumbing division and I'd get a book on being an electrician.  Then I'd do the same.  Slowly my trailer empire would grow.  I'd pick up cheap trailers and rent them to my employees who are out of work.  Dammit, i'd be the best damn fry cook/handyman manager this side of lee county, FL.

That's what Frank Torres should do.  He should stop his bitching.  He entered a shitty contract because he wanted a house beyond his means.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »

This nonsense with refusing to obey the law only make him look like a person who breaks the law AND cannot manage his finances.

if all my income dried up tomorrow, i'd be working at mcD and living in a trailer.  I wouldn't be pouting on the news about how it's not my fault I'm in this jam.  I'd get a book on plumbing and become the best plumber in the trailer park.  Then I'd hire a dimwitted gimp to run the plumbing division and I'd get a book on being an electrician.  Then I'd do the same.  Slowly my trailer empire would grow.  I'd pick up cheap trailers and rent them to my employees who are out of work.  Dammit, i'd be the best damn fry cook/handyman manager this side of lee county, FL.

That's what Frank Torres should do.  He should stop his bitching.  He entered a shitty contract because he wanted a house beyond his means.

I would send spongebob and patrick in to steal the secret recipe for crabbypatties, and give some to plankton for all his efforts....... ;D

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »

I'm not defending the guy but can you see how some people feel like they shouldn't have to pay since these banks are getting bailouts for some of the same type of behavior? I'm generalizing but I think you understand what I'm saying.

Should you still play by the rules when everyone else around you isnt?  :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:25:29 AM »
That is exactly wh ythese bailouts are a huge mistake.

It sends a terrible message to everyone.