Author Topic: Firefighters forced to participate in ‘Gay Pride Parade’ win heated legal battle  (Read 596 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
ADF-allied attorney receives favorable verdict on harassment charge against city of San Diego on behalf of firefighters

SAN DIEGO — An Alliance Defense Fund allied attorney representing four San Diego firefighters received a favorable jury verdict Tuesday in a lawsuit against the city. The San Diego Fire Department disregarded the firefighters’ objections to taking part in the city’s “Gay Pride Parade” celebrating homosexual behavior and retaliated against them for later complaining about the harassment they endured during the event.

“Government employees should never be forced to participate in events or acts that violate their sincerely held beliefs,” said ADF-allied attorney Charles LiMandri, the West Coast Regional Director of the Thomas More Law Center. “We are pleased with the jury’s verdict recognizing the firefighters’ right to abstain from activities that they consider morally offensive and that subject them to harassment.”

After being forced to participate–despite numerous objections–in San Diego’s 2007 “Gay Pride Parade,” four firefighters from the SDFD were sexually harassed through lewd cat calls and obscene gestures at the event, which was replete with sexual displays and graphic images. The firefighters then suffered harassment and retaliation after complaining to superiors about the parade. The city was well aware of the firefighters’ objection to participating in the parade because of its lascivious nature exhibited in past years, including unwanted sexual comments and gestures from participants and spectators.

“Many people may mistakenly think the ‘gay pride’ parade is merely a ‘fun’ event,” said ADF Senior Counsel Joe Infranco, who is co-counsel in the case. “They never would have imagined the crude sexual harassment these firefighters were forced to endure. But in truth, the goal of homosexual behavior advocates is to undermine society’s long-held values. They continue to seek this, whether by demanding participation in ‘gay pride’ parades or by trampling the democratic process to redefine marriage.”

After the lawsuit Ghiotto v. City of San Diego was filed in the Superior Court for the County of San Diego, the fire department changed its policy so employees will no longer be forced to participate against their will.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good result.  The jury did the right thing.  It's a shame the firefighters had to go through a lawsuit. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
i hope they win an ass load of money this is damn ridiculous.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
They won a couple thousand so it wasn't much but I don't think a lot of $ was warranted, just set the precident that it is unacceptible to force city workers to be involved in a sexually oriented parade.  Ridiculous that these guys were forced to do this.  That city is f'ed up.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
As long as they're not forcing the police, the Indians, the cowboys, the construction workers, the bikers or the Military to participate, I think this is just bullshit.
As empty as paradise

Dan-O

• Getbig V
As long as they're not forcing the police, the Indians, the cowboys, the construction workers, the bikers or the Military to participate, I think this is just bullshit.

LOL 8)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL took a second hahaha

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
lol.  Took me about an hour.  lol.  :D