Author Topic: Putting things in perspective a bit  (Read 373 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Putting things in perspective a bit
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »
I hear this end-of-the-world and Depression II talk.
The Dow is down by 50% from it's false high a year ago.  It's what, 20% lower than it was ten years ago?   It was down 90% during the Depression.  When it drops to 900 points, we'll be at the same levels.  I dont think that'll happen.

Bernanke says crisis ‘no comparison’ to Great Depression
AFP
Tuesday, Dec 02, 2008

Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke said Monday the current economic situation bears “no comparison” to the much deeper crisis of the 1930s Great Depression.

“Well, you hear a lot of loose talk, but let me just … say, as a scholar of the Great Depression — and I’ve written books about the Depression and been very interested in this since I was in graduate school, there’s no comparison,” Bernanke said in a question period after an address in Austin, Texas.

Bernanke cited “an order-of-magnitude difference” in the current situation compared to the 1930s.

“During the 1930s, there was a worldwide depression that lasted for about 12 years and was only ended by a world war,” he said.

“During that time, the unemployment rate went to 25 percent, at least, based on the data that we have. The real GDP (gross domestic product) fell by one-third. About a third of all of the banks failed. The stock market fell 90 percent.”

Bernanke said the situation at that time represented “very difficult circumstances,” because “we didn’t have the social safety net that we have today. So let’s put that out of our minds; there’s no — there’s comparison in terms of severity.”