Author Topic: Gitmo detainees treated humanely, U.S. report says  (Read 1682 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Gitmo detainees treated humanely, U.S. report says
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:30:10 PM »
What a shocker.  Not.

From Barbara Starr
CNN Pentagon Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A new Defense Department report concludes that the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, treats detainees humanely, to a department official with knowledge of the report.

The conclusion comes in a Pentagon report prepared for President Obama, who has ordered the closing of the facility within a year. The Defense Department review also recommends that high- value and violent detainees be allowed to pray and have recreation time in groups of three, the official said.

The official declined to speak on the record because the report has not yet been delivered to the White House or publicly released.

Separately, Attorney General Eric Holder announced Friday a formal structure for deciding what to do with detainees held at the military prison camp at Guantanamo Bay.

Holder said the Justice Department's point man on counterterrorism, Matthew Olsen, will lead a multiagency detainee review task force, which will be responsible for making final recommendations to a senior review panel.

"The task force will consider whether it is possible to transfer or release detained individuals consistent with the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States," a Justice Department statement said.

Several detainees have claimed in court documents that they were tortured and subjected to inhumane treatment in the military prison at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay.

Most of the complaints concern the early years of the facility, after then-President Bush determined that "minimum standards for humane treatment" spelled out in the Geneva Conventions "did not apply to al Qaeda or Taliban detainees," according to a Senate Armed Services Committee report issued in December.

Holder announced earlier this week he plans to take a firsthand look at the Gitmo military facility and will take Olsen with him on the trip.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/20/gitmo.report/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Gitmo detainees treated humanely, U.S. report says
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:35:29 PM »
haha that's like having your mistress be your marriage counselor :)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »
A new Defense Department report concludes that the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, treats detainees humanely, to a department official with knowledge of the report.

;)

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:41:48 AM »
What a shocker.  Not.

Hahahaha...  as soon as I read your thread's subject line, before I even clicked on it, my first thought was "Huh...  imagine my surprise."  Then I opened your thread and saw that you said pretty much the same thing.  Too funny. :)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:13:33 AM »
Being that I'll bet nobody who comes to this board has ever even met someone who met someone who has spoken with federal judges and FBI agents that have personally toured gitmo and been privy to the intelligence about the detainees at gitmo, I don't expect the less enlightened of you to have any reaction but braindead musing about civil rights and torture when it comes to gitmo.

The facility is 10X better than any American prison and IMO the detainees have too many rights. Do some investigating and try using a source other than a former detainee who was allegedly tortured or Keith Olbermann or that hideous dyke Rachel Madoff.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
Hahahaha...  as soon as I read your thread's subject line, before I even clicked on it, my first thought was "Huh...  imagine my surprise."  Then I opened your thread and saw that you said pretty much the same thing.  Too funny. :)

They need to send Jenny Craig down to Gitmo.  Have you heard about all of the detainees we've been fattening up? 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »
Transfer all Gitmo inmates to San Quintin immediately.

Lets see what they have to say then...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
haha that's like having your mistress be your marriage counselor :)
yes b/c the ppl you quote as saying they torture and such in gitmo are real credible.  ::)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:57 AM »
yes b/c the ppl you quote as saying they torture and such in gitmo are real credible.  ::)

Don't expect him to refute that.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Being that I'll bet nobody who comes to this board has ever even met someone who met someone who has spoken with federal judges and FBI agents that have personally toured gitmo and been privy to the intelligence about the detainees at gitmo, I don't expect the less enlightened of you to have any reaction but braindead musing about civil rights and torture when it comes to gitmo.

The facility is 10X better than any American prison and IMO the detainees have too many rights. Do some investigating and try using a source other than a former detainee who was allegedly tortured or Keith Olbermann or that hideous dyke Rachel Madoff.

They will have it worse in our supermaxes...no more scoccer and special attention....its going to all hot showers and anal rape....have fun douchbags.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »

They will have it worse in our supermaxes...no more scoccer and special attention....its going to all hot showers and anal rape....have fun douchbags.

Dude, I went through Navy bootcamp and it seems like I had to deal with worse than these fools are going through.