Author Topic: 1.5 Mill. Condo with 20k Income - WHY THE MORTGAGE BAILOUT STINKS!  (Read 1250 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
CHECK THIS OUT.  HOW MORE ARE THERE LIKE THIS!

________________________ ________________________ ____
By Nancy Bartley

Seattle Times staff reporter

PREV 1 of 2 NEXT

MARK HARRISON / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Danil Kasimov, with wife Diana Shakhnazaryan, says he was prequalified for a loan on a $1.5 million condo but lost $75,000 in earnest money when he couldn't qualify for the actual loan.

GERDING/EDLEN DEVELOPMENT

This image shows the 42- and 43-story Bellevue Towers, being built in downtown Bellevue. Units sell from $500,000 to more than $9 million each.

When Uzbek hot-dog vendor Danil Kasimov thought of America, he thought of the place portrayed in movies — a Land of Plenty where anyone's dreams could come true.

In 2000, he emigrated to the U.S., settled in Redmond and became a limousine driver, earning little more than minimum wage.

Two years ago, a real-estate agent suggested he consider purchasing a condominium at the luxurious Bellevue Towers. To Kasimov, it seemed his vision of America was unfolding with the ease of the touch-screen showing eventual views from his dream condo on the 32nd floor.

Delighted that he prequalified for a $1.5 million condo on his $20,000-a-year income, he put down more than $75,000 in earnest money he borrowed from a friend.

But that money — and nearly $100,000 from five other prospective condo buyers — soon evaporated. The six filed a lawsuit in King County Superior Court this week against Bellevue Towers and JP Morgan Chase Bank, alleging the lender falsified documents, making it possible for them to prequalify for loans they could never actually get.

In one case, the lawsuit says, a Chase broker listed a prospective buyer's income not at the actual $2,147 a month, but at $12,500. Chase's underwriter "red flagged" the document as suspicious, the suit alleges, but the applicant still was prequalified for a $724,000 condo.

Jim Robinson, the prospective buyers' attorney, says the sellers risked nothing because of a 2005 state law that allows property owners to keep earnest money without proving they were damaged.

Robinson, who is working pro bono, says that law allows buyers who should never have been "prequalified" for loans to put earnest money down that they are sure to lose when they fail to qualify for the actual loan.

The Legislature has created a means for developers "to grab their earnest money, and that is shocking. ... If you take that law and combine it with a lousy real-estate market, guess what happens? You've got developers running around trying to grab people's earnest money," Robinson said. "It's going on all over the state."

The lawsuit filed Wednesday caught Bellevue Towers staff and others by surprise. Patrick Clark, a principal at Realty Trust, which markets the complex, said Thursday, "We have no interest in selling a home to somebody who isn't qualified to purchase it."

He added that "it's a very difficult market, and (buyers) will make any sort of argument they'd like to get money back, but the contract is the contract."

The Chase broker could not be reached for comment. Her former supervisor declined to comment Thursday night.

Grand opening

Bellevue Towers held its grand opening Thursday, celebrating completion of its first 22 floors. The rest is scheduled to be completed by June.

Just east of Bellevue Square, it's an architectural dream, with twin towers rising an eventual 42 and 43 stories, making it the tallest residential building in the Northwest when it is complete. Of the 539 condos, 180 have been sold, the marketing department says. The number does not include those who backed out or forfeited their earnest money. According to King County records, about 12 sales have closed. The units sell from $500,000 to more than $9 million each.

In 2007, Kasimov borrowed $75,700 from a friend to put 5 percent earnest money down on a Bellevue Towers condo. Financing 95 percent, the new home would have cost him more than $7,000 a month, including monthly dues.

Bellevue Towers' preferred lender is JP Morgan Chase, which had an office in the same space as the condo model.

"I normally wouldn't think I could afford this," Kasimov said. "But there was all this excitement ... Hollywood all over the place." He says he was told there were only a few units left, and the real-estate agent, knowing what Kasimov did for a living and that it was his first purchase, said, "Let's see if they'll approve you."

Kasimov said that when he asked if he could afford the condo, the agent told him: "Let the bank worry about it."

Kasimov said a Bellevue Towers agent led him to a Chase senior mortgage banker/broker. While he had the option of going with other lenders, Chase being the preferred lender meant he would get a better deal, he said the agent told him. Kasimov signed the contract with Chase, but buried in the middle was language indicating that the lender could increase the required earnest money to 25 percent even after accepting the 5 percent, Robinson said. And, he said, that's what happened.

Kasimov couldn't raise the extra cash and lost what he'd already put up.

Other plaintiffs

Other plaintiffs are Kasimov's wife, Diana Shakhnazaryan, who was not married to him at the time, and her mother, Svetlana Kocharyan, both of whom fled Azerbaijan and gained political asylum here about 10 years ago. In 2006, Kocharyan worked on an assembly line and her daughter had a part-time job washing hair in a Kirkland beauty salon. Together, they made $3,659 a month, court documents say.

Chase prequalified them for a 95 percent mortgage for the purchase of a $922,600 condominium, giving them a $7,198 monthly payment, including condo dues.

Standard loan underwriting criteria require a debt-to-adjusted-gross-income ratio of less than 45 percent, which means that the women would have had to have "an adjusted gross income of $16,000 a month," the lawsuit says. Since they clearly did not, and say they were never given a copy of the contract — which was written in English, a language they didn't understand — they allege that the broker put down false numbers making it possible for them to prequalify.

Kasimov and the other plaintiffs, Yuri and Dora Aleksandrov and Davud Kasparov, none of whom are fluent in English, make the same allegations in the suit.

In Kasparov's case, he was a student with an income of $3,600 a year and says he was told he prequalified for a $634,000 condominium.

Court documents say the Aleksandrovs put down $36,000 in earnest money — from refinancing their home — on a $724,000 condominium for which they were told they prequalified. The Aleksandrovs have a copy of their contract and noticed that the Chase broker listed Dora Aleksandrov's income as a hairstylist not at the actual $2,147 a month, but at $12,500. Chase's underwriter "red flagged" the document and, the suit says, wrote "income ... appears high for area and time in line of work" and wondered if she worked with celebrities.

But, the court documents say, Chase ignored its underwriter's red flag and prequalified the Aleksandrovs.

Times researcher David Turim contributed to this story.

Nancy Bartley: 206-464-8522 or nbartley@seattletimes.com

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: 1.5 Mill. Condo with 20k Income - WHY THE MORTGAGE BAILOUT STINKS!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
There are far more cases similar to this as well.  The media just doesn't want to insult people or go against the president.

If we reduce mortgages for people that bought way out of their range, its a huge mistake.  Anyone who lied on applications or purchased way out of their earning range (which is a good $ of people), should have to sell their house and move into something smaller or rent.  The market will fix itself in most cases.
I have no sympathy for these people, or people who took an adjustible rate loan they knew could go up at any time.  Just stupidity.  I bought a house 5 yrs ago and was posed with this same situation.  I purchased something within my means at a little higher conventional rate.  These idiots could have made the same choice!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:22:06 AM »
This is why I call Obama "ZERO" daily.

He is liar and a fraud.

His mortgage plan is lie, his stimulus bill is a lie, his rationale is a lie. 

There is nothing truthful about the man and anything he does or stands for.

His mortgage bill will go exactly to these types of things.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
So what is the deal with the mortgage plan the dems are working on? If I stop paying my mortgage, the gvt comes in and pays it for me? ???

People who bought property they can't financially cover need to be removed from that situation at their detriment. Minimum wage workers buying 500K condos they can't service the debt on drive up the price for those of us who actually CAN buy property... then they get bailed out (with tax dollars) for doing so?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

Delighted that he prequalified for a $1.5 million condo on his $20,000-a-year income, he put down more than $75,000 in earnest money he borrowed from a friend.

Russian mafia is good friend to Danil Kasimov, no? We break legs now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
"People who bought property they can't financially cover need to be removed from that situation at their detriment. Minimum wage workers buying 500K condos they can't service the debt on drive up the price for those of us who actually CAN buy property..."

10000000000000000% correct.  I have been on the sidelines for a long time waiting for prices to drop.  They went to obscene levels.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
Well it appears now the Dems want to bail out those people and help them pay the mortgages... so you might be waiting awhile more.

In Cali, the gvt tries all kinds of programs to keep people in grossly overpriced houses. My CT is that since in Cali you pay 1% of the purchase value of a property in taxed per year, the gvt wants to keep people out of foreclosure for as long as possible to keep collecting that 1%. If you bought for 450K, and the value now would be 200K, they get less than half the tax revenue. In Cali, tax revenue is highly sought after by the state governement!

We seriously have 'low income' living in 300K houses in my town. People pulling in 26K/yr have houses.

We are still #2 in foreclosures though...  :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
You know what bothers me a lot?

For a long time, many people thought I was crazy saying prices were coming down hard and that this was a massive bubble.

My realtor/broker friends, attorney collegues, etc.  They all said I was a sucker for not getting in on the game.

I was the only one amongst many people I know to not have bought into the madness and am sitting fine with an apartment I paid 45k for in 2002 that even still now is worth about 175k.  I have a tiny loan left on it.  I got my D's. 
I will only buy something if the person is Dying, Deperate, or Divorcing.   

At the height of things I could have gotten about 225k for it but would have had to buy a crazy priced small house with huge taxes.

Now, I have a lot of cash on the side and am ready to swoop in and get a deal as soon as things go down another 30%.

I believe we have another 30"% to go downward on RE prices, perhaps more.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
Schiff said this would happen months ago and his critics laughed and laughed.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
You know what bothers me a lot?

For a long time, many people thought I was crazy saying prices were coming down hard and that this was a massive bubble.

My realtor/broker friends, attorney collegues, etc.  They all said I was a sucker for not getting in on the game.

I was the only one amongst many people I know to not have bought into the madness and am sitting fine with an apartment I paid 45k for in 2002 that even still now is worth about 175k.  I have a tiny loan left on it.  I got my D's. 
I will only buy something if the person is Dying, Deperate, or Divorcing.   

At the height of things I could have gotten about 225k for it but would have had to buy a crazy priced small house with huge taxes.

Now, I have a lot of cash on the side and am ready to swoop in and get a deal as soon as things go down another 30%.

I believe we have another 30"% to go downward on RE prices, perhaps more.

Agreed.  At least another 30% drop to realistic prices.  Worth the wait.