Author Topic: gyms are no longer gyms...  (Read 1680 times)

heretostay13

• Getbig II
gyms are no longer gyms...
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »
So, my university just built a brand new facility ($30 million +) and guess who decides to come in for a workout while in town. Randy Orton and John Cena. The new center has this policy though that you have to be a member of the university (past or present) to get access, but the workers at the time (a few people I know that work there) made an exception for them and they paid a day fee to workout. After all is said and done after their workout apparently the new manager of the facility told the building managers (again, a couple of my friends, so I'm hearing this first hand) not to let them in anymore and that they're banned from the facility. Why? Cena was deadlifting on the floor and dropping the weights too heavy from what he saw and that they weren't alumni or associated therefore they weren't allowed in anymore. Apprently though the guy didn't have enough balls to tell them to leave during their workout, he just decided to hide in the corner until they left. This is basically though what the lifting world is coming to. Why can't there be a Metroflex where I live?

JasonBourne22

• Getbig II
Re: gyms are no longer gyms...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
So, my university just built a brand new facility ($30 million +) and guess who decides to come in for a workout while in town. Randy Orton and John Cena. The new center has this policy though that you have to be a member of the university (past or present) to get access, but the workers at the time (a few people I know that work there) made an exception for them and they paid a day fee to workout. After all is said and done after their workout apparently the new manager of the facility told the building managers (again, a couple of my friends, so I'm hearing this first hand) not to let them in anymore and that they're banned from the facility. Why? Cena was deadlifting on the floor and dropping the weights too heavy from what he saw and that they weren't alumni or associated therefore they weren't allowed in anymore. Apprently though the guy didn't have enough balls to tell them to leave during their workout, he just decided to hide in the corner until they left. This is basically though what the lifting world is coming to. Why can't there be a Metroflex where I live?
Thats shitty, at our gym we always let Freeman, and even some national level guys workout free, let alone someone like Cena or Orton. And yes we can deadlift here all we want and drop weights, however sometimes that shit is just uncalled for lol

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »

I live within 5 miles of the Metroflex gym but when it's all said and done, I just don't have the balls to walk through those front doors.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
Thats shitty, at our gym we always let Freeman, and even some national level guys workout free, let alone someone like Cena or Orton. And yes we can deadlift here all we want and drop weights, however sometimes that shit is just uncalled for lol

I understand. Some guys just go nuts with the deadlifting, but I had one of the workers come up to me (a friend again) when I was doing incline dumbbell work and told me that his boss (again, the pussy that wouldn't say anything to these Orton or Cena while they were there) said that I needed to be more careful when putting them down. This guy has even started saying things like "this isn't a lifting gym, this is a fitness gym". geriatric fuck + marathon runner + manager of a gym = no lifting environment whatsoever. I deal with it though and really haven't changed anything I do.

BigIronPete

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
Why do you give a fuck if they dont train there anymore did you want so suck thier cocks or something?

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
My gym ocassionaly puts up flyers saying please don't drop weights and please rerack after use etc. The signs are removed in days by the members or somone writes an abusive note to the staff on them haha.

You can do what the fuck you want in my gym because the free weights/hardcore area is on a floor below the cardio machines/homo machines and the staff stay upstairs 90% of the time

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
My gym ocassionaly puts up flyers saying please don't drop weights and please rerack after use etc. The signs are removed in days by the members or somone writes an abusive note to the staff on them haha.

You can do what the fuck you want in my gym because the free weights/hardcore area is on a floor below the cardio machines/homo machines and the staff stay upstairs 90% of the time

so you think a "real gym" is where you don't re-rack weight?   

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
I used to love the idea of a hardcore gym back when all I did was eat and try and lift heavy.

One place was hardcore alright but it was small and filthy.

My current gym (powerhouse) is huge and filthy. Steroid users everywhere, tough guys, sluts. It's not a positive place to train.

Compare that to LA Fitness where I went a couple months and you had carpeting. Clean equipment. You could shower and overall people were just trying to work out and not romanticize some sort of Viking battle pit.

A gym is as REAL as you want it to be.
$

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
so you think a "real gym" is where you don't re-rack weight?   
exactly. If i was a gym owner i wouldn't want geeks slamming their 35 lb dumbells on the floor. The biggest guy i ever trained with was a monster, around 270 and pretty lean. He would regulary use 160lb+ db's and NEVER drop or slam them.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »

I run my own gym, very hardcore but there is still repect between members to rerack weights etc. Your gym sounds like it is populated by a bunch of tossers.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »
exactly. If i was a gym owner i wouldn't want geeks slamming their 35 lb dumbells on the floor. The biggest guy i ever trained with was a monster, around 270 and pretty lean. He would regulary use 160lb+ db's and NEVER drop or slam them.

Exactly.  And not reracking weights is just garbage.  The REAL gyms I've been a member of in the past policed themselves and guys would call you out if you didn't unload a bar.  Twinks nowadays have no clue.

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Exactly.  And not reracking weights is just garbage.  The REAL gyms I've been a member of in the past policed themselves and guys would call you out if you didn't unload a bar.  Twinks nowadays have no clue.

That is how a real gym should run

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »
Why do you give a fuck if they dont train there anymore did you want so suck thier cocks or something?

So I guess I'm just supposed to say these two random guys come in, let's call them John and Jacob Doe. That the gym's management is shit and that basically they would prefer if no one was doing real lifting altogether? Honestly, I could care less who they were, but it kind of reaffirms the point. I imagine if I used the previous example you'd say, "Why do you give a fuck if these guys don't train there anymore, want to suck their cock or something?" because you're just that predictable.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »

True, but some gyms police for things that are just not warranted at all. I mean, I've gotten up from doing incline dumbbell presses with 130's and got up off the bench and went down with them to the ground and have still been told to be easy with the weights. I suppose I'm supposed to do a deadlift with a 2 second negative and 2 second hold at the bottom in order to make sure that the weight causes no vibration or noise whatsoever. I can understand what you're saying though. There's a limit to things and if you can actually handle the weights while to lift them you should be able to control them enough when you put them down.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »
True, but some gyms police for things that are just not warranted at all. I mean, I've gotten up from doing incline dumbbell presses with 130's and got up off the bench and went down with them to the ground and have still been told to be easy with the weights. I suppose I'm supposed to do a deadlift with a 2 second negative and 2 second hold at the bottom in order to make sure that the weight causes no vibration or noise whatsoever. I can understand what you're saying though. There's a limit to things and if you can actually handle the weights while to lift them you should be able to control them enough when you put them down.
I agree with that. Some times it goes a little overboard, but i can understand a gym wanting to protect it's equipment.

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
Its the fuckers who dont empty the Leg press back to four plates a side that piss me off.

Not everybody warms up with ten plates a side.

Makes me Madddddddd >:(

:D

Quo

• Getbig II
  • "Yes I work out...thanks for asking"
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
I used to love the idea of a hardcore gym back when all I did was eat and try and lift heavy.

One place was hardcore alright but it was small and filthy.

My current gym (powerhouse) is huge and filthy. Steroid users everywhere, tough guys, sluts. It's not a positive place to train.

Compare that to LA Fitness where I went a couple months and you had carpeting. Clean equipment. You could shower and overall people were just trying to work out and not romanticize some sort of Viking battle pit.

A gym is as REAL as you want it to be.

So true....

the big fan

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
Gyms like Metrofit usually run them selfs out of busness . Too small a demand  and that creates a money shortage.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »
Gyms like Metrofit usually run them selfs out of busness . Too small a demand  and that creates a money shortage.

Where is Metrofit at?

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »

Depending on the University, I would rather train there.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
just 10 minutes ago i had to tell a 6'8" 280lbs. guy to stop dropping my 120 pounders. he said it didn't hurt them and i looked and the thing is prettzled.i've done 140 lb. incline db presses and never in my life dropped them.

probodies.ca

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
soon every gym will have a Starbucks and express walmart in them.
K

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
Its about manners,and respecting your gym,in our gym nobody really fucks around,maybe new guys might but they are put in their place pretty quickly...although you cant avoid slamming weights when deadlifting

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
I run my own gym, very hardcore but there is still repect between members to rerack weights etc. Your gym sounds like it is populated by a bunch of tossers.
There is one old guy who comes in every saturday and puts up like 8 plates either side of the leg press, he slams on every single 20kg plate, he makes an effort to make the plates make the most noise possible.. At this point 50% of the people in the free weights room are looking at him thinking hes going to kill himself then he proceeds to do reps with a 1 inch range of motion and everyone turns back to what they were doing. The 50% who didn't even look are people who have seen him do this shit before. To cap shit off he never takes the weight off when hes finished, but nobody does at my gym anyway, ocassionally people might be bothered to rerack dumbells but even that is rare.
The old guy always talks about how "the kids who come in here don't know what the fuck their doing, they can't handle it" etc. and everyone just knods and says "yea" etc. just to shut his ass up. He dyes his hair and in all the months i'v been going i have never seen him increase the weight on any of his exercises.
I was doing overhead triceps extension right infront of one of the mirrors once and he mockingly stuck his head over my shoulder in the mirror and made a wierd facial expression as if to take the piss out of me for doing extensions infront of the mirror. asshole
 ;D

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
There is one old guy who comes in every saturday and puts up like 8 plates either side of the leg press, he slams on every single 20kg plate, he makes an effort to make the plates make the most noise possible.. At this point 50% of the people in the free weights room are looking at him thinking hes going to kill himself then he proceeds to do reps with a 1 inch range of motion and everyone turns back to what they were doing. The 50% who didn't even look are people who have seen him do this shit before. To cap shit off he never takes the weight off when hes finished, but nobody does at my gym anyway, ocassionally people might be bothered to rerack dumbells but even that is rare.
The old guy always talks about how "the kids who come in here don't know what the fuck their doing, they can't handle it" etc. and everyone just knods and says "yea" etc. just to shut his ass up. He dyes his hair and in all the months i'v been going i have never seen him increase the weight on any of his exercises.
I was doing overhead triceps extension right infront of one of the mirrors once and he mockingly stuck his head over my shoulder in the mirror and made a wierd facial expression as if to take the piss out of me for doing extensions infront of the mirror. asshole
 ;D

he was probably the high school jock, now he is old and people look through him..he has to create a reason for people to even look at him now..
K