Author Topic: Andre Smith; I really wanted this kid  (Read 2428 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Andre Smith; I really wanted this kid
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

As one scout put it Friday: "Just another guy who doesn't get it."

According to Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, Smith subsequently flew to Atlanta on Saturday for a workout with a private trainer and is not expected back in Indianapolis.

D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: Andre Smith; I really wanted this kid
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
mayock has him 3RD now.

he was supposed to come in as the #1 pick..

now he's not even the top lineman in many scouts view

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

According to Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, Smith subsequently flew to Atlanta on Saturday for a workout with a private trainer and is not expected back in Indianapolis.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

I saw that.what a dip-shit.

body88

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
Crabtree to get surgery, also.  This draft is deep in talent. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
Crabtree to get surgery, also.  This draft is deep in talent. 

the draft is so weak compared to last year.

body88

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
the draft is so weak compared to last year.

How do you figure?  The only weak class in this draft is QB and maybe CB.  You can't compare a draft that has already happened to one that is pending, none of the kids have even played yet. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
How do you figure?  The only weak class in this draft is QB and maybe CB.  You can't compare a draft that has already happened to one that is pending, none of the kids have even played yet. 

te,gguard,wr,qb,db, lack of quality lineman

a lb is projected to be the first pick.

tells you something

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »

tells you something

I understand that there are no O-line guys this year but in 4 years their will be Taylor "Baby Jake Long" Lewan and Michael Schoiefled!!

GO BLUE!!
D

body88

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »

tells you something

Who has a lb going first? Which one?  Thats the first I have heard of that.  None of the guys I have been watching at the combine do. I think the draft is the exact opposite of what you are saying.  Aside from QB....I think this is going to be a very good draft. What are you basing your opinions on?  There are a ton of lineman in this draft.  I saw three centers projected to go in the late first/second to first round today.....thats just centers. Many guys who can play many positions on the line, also.

Jason Smith, Munroe, Oher, Andres Smith, Leverite, Unger, Wood, Mack.....thats just some quality linemen off the top of my head. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »
Who has a lb going first? Which one?

mayock has aaron curry from wake going first

I think the draft is the exact opposite of what you are saying. 

you believe this years' draft presents more talent than last year? seriously?

Jason Smith, Munroe, Oher, Andres Smith, Leverite, Unger, Wood, Mack.....thats just some quality linemen off the top of my head. 

what does listing the top lineman have to do with quality versus last year? I guarentee you there will be less lineman taken in the 1st round this year than last year.

What are you basing your opinions on?

was this just a filler comment or are  serious with this? what am i basing my opinion on?

There are a ton of lineman in this draft. 

no shit sherlock, offense lineman always have the majority of invites. It doesn't mean it's loaded with future stars

Many guys who can play many positions on the line, also.

priceless...

body88

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
mayock has aaron curry from wake going first

you believe this years' draft presents more talent than last year? seriously?

what does listing the top lineman have to do with quality versus last year? I guarentee you there will be less lineman taken in the 1st round this year than last year.

was this just a filler comment or are  serious with this? what am i basing my opinion on?

no shit sherlock, offense lineman always have the majority of invites. It doesn't mean it's loaded with future stars

priceless...

Nothing I said was sarcastic.  Why don't you just answer....no need to get smart.  You make statements and then don't back them up with actual content.  What are you basing your comments on?   Their have been 5 wr's who ran sub 4.4 fortys already and two guys under 4.3.  This is the fastest group of wr's ever and you say its a weak group, righttt?  You cant compare this years drafts to last years draft until at least three years from draft day.  Lastly, Mayock spent a ton of time talking about how many positions many of the lineman can play...have you watched the combine, I dont think you have.  Mayock focused on Unger and Wood being able to play every position on the line in particular.  Btw, who cares if Curry goes first, the lb core is crazy deep this year.  Last year Jake Long went first, what does that matter?  Jamarcus Russel went first a few years back and he SUCKS.  Curry wont go first anyway.

You have no clue who will be a star and who wont.  Infact, you tell me the best players of this years draft and we will take a look at that list at the end of 09, deal? 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

Nothing I said was sarcastic.  Why don't you just answer....no need to get smart.  You make statements and then don't back them up with actual content.  What are you basing your comments on?   Their have been 5 wr's who ran sub 4.4 fortys already and two guys under 4.3.  This is the fastest group of wr's ever and you say its a weak group, righttt?  You cant compare this years drafts to last years draft until at least three years from draft day.  Lastly, Mayock spent a ton of time talking about how many positions many of the lineman can play...have you watched the combine, I dont think you have.  Mayock focused on Unger and Wood being able to play every position on the line in particular.  Btw, who cares if Curry goes first, the lb core is crazy deep this year.  Last year Jake Long went first, what does that matter?  Jamarcus Russel went first a few years back and he SUCKS.  Curry wont go first anyway.

You have no clue who will be a star and who wont.  Infact, you tell me the best players of this years draft and we will take a look at that list at the end of 09, deal? 

wow..i was being a douche lol. I was drunk last nite...

did u watch the skill positions at the combine?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
Andre Smith did not visit Yahoo! HotJobs before the combine
By MJD
If he had, he'd have been a little more prepared to make a good impression. And now, he might have to use Yahoo! HotJobs to find employment as a sales associate at Payless Shoe Source.

Okay, maybe things aren't that bad for him, but they're pretty bad. If you haven't been following the Smith saga, first, he showed up for the combine way out of shape. Then, his one-on-one interviews were said to be going poorly, as he was "inappropriately dressed and [had] been giving a number of conflicting statements as to why he was choosing not to workout at the combine," according to SI.com's Tony Pauline.

And then, because things weren't quite catastrophic enough, he just left. And in the process, probably cost himself a whole lot of money. 

CNBC's Darren Rovell crunched the numbers, and found that if Smith was going to be taken at the top of the first round before this whole mess (and he was -- key word being "was" -- considered by many the best tackle, or even player, in the draft), and now has fallen to the bottom of the first round, he'll have cost himself $23.8 million. 

Ouch. It hurts to even type that. Hopefully, Smith can get it turned around and morph back into a stud before Alabama's pro day. He can still get a lot of that money back. 

And there's no reason to believe he can't do it, either. If he can dominate for five years at Alabama, then somewhere in him is the discipline and desire to get back on top of his game. A man does not win Alabama's "Mr. Football" award in high school, make the SEC All-Freshman first team in 2006, make the All-SEC First Team in 2007, and then win the Outland Trophy in 2008 because he's a lazy headcase. Obviously, there's greatness in him somewhere.

Let's hope he finds it before his pockets take any more of a beating.
D