Author Topic: TED Talks Juan Enriquez: Beyond the crisis, mindboggling science ...  (Read 2532 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
TED Talks Juan Enriquez: Beyond the crisis, mindboggling science and the arrival of Homo evolutis

Even as mega-banks topple, Juan Enriquez says the big reboot is yet to come. But don't look for it on your ballot -- or in the stock exchange. It'll come from science labs, and it promises keener bodies and minds. Our kids are going to be ... different.

http://www.ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science.html

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: TED Talks Juan Enriquez: Beyond the crisis, mindboggling science ...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »
TED Talks Juan Enriquez: Beyond the crisis, mindboggling science and the arrival of Homo evolutis

http://www.ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science.html

I just love the TEDTalks series. they're all pretty fascinating and thought provoking.

Did you see Barry Schwartz's talk on the real crisis and the lack of wisdom?
w

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:52 PM »
Thanks. Good vid.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
I just love the TEDTalks series. they're all pretty fascinating and thought provoking.

Did you see Barry Schwartz's talk on the real crisis and the lack of wisdom?

no I haven't seen it yet.

robotic humans is a spooky idea. That walking machine that can carry 350 lbs was amazing

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
no I haven't seen it yet.

robotic humans is a spooky idea. That walking machine that can carry 350 lbs was amazing

Barry Schwarz: The real crisis? We stopped being wise

Barry Schwartz makes a passionate call for practical wisdom as an antidote to a society gone mad with bureaucracy. He argues powerfully that rules often fail us, incentives often backfire, and practical, everyday wisdom will help rebuild our world.

I also enjoyed Sylvia Earle's talk on how to protect the oceans

Legendary ocean researcher Sylvia Earle shares astonishing images of the ocean -- and shocking stats about its rapid decline -- as she makes her TED Prize wish: that we will join her in protecting the vital blue heart of the planet.

w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Another fabulous TEDTalk imo was an older one by Sir Ken Robinson at the 2006 Monterrey conference.

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.

w

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
^^

Yes I posted that awhile back on general :)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
^^

Yes I posted that awhile back on general :)

Considering the level of discourse there, ...do you think I could actually bring myself to READ that board?
w

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
Another fabulous TEDTalk imo was an older one by Sir Ken Robinson at the 2006 Monterrey conference.

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.

Excellent video. I loved it and agree.

It is too often money, not interests, that direct individuals.

I wish he would have explained some ways the current educational system may be changed in order to encourage, or facilitate, creativity. He made the case that we should encourage people to follow their interests, and that our educational system shouldn't hinder creativity, as it does, but didn't offer any examples on how a more ideal educational system would be different than it is now...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:01 AM »
Excellent video. I loved it and agree.

It is too often money, not interests, that direct individuals.

I wish he would have explained some ways the current educational system may be changed in order to encourage, or facilitate, creativity. He made the case that we should encourage people to follow their interests, and that our educational system shouldn't hinder creativity, as it does, but didn't offer any examples on how a more ideal educational system would be different than it is now...

It might be too early to start offering praise to the soviets for the way they went about this.  :-X
w

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
It might be too early to start offering praise to the soviets for the way they went about this.  :-X
Could you please elaborate?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »
Could you please elaborate?

I could be wrong, ...but my understanding is that the soviets would test children at an early age to see where their natural talents & inclinations lay, ...and then they'd work to nurture those throughout the rest of the child's life.
w

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:17 AM »
I could be wrong, ...but my understanding is that the soviets would test children at an early age to see where their natural talents lay, ...and then they would work to nurture those throughout the child's life.
...And how did this supposedly work out?

Why did they stop doing this?

It sounds like a good idea, but they could have easily used deeply flawed methods in determining what the child's talents are. Also, in order for such a system to work properly, it must be flexible. In other words, as interests evolve through time, the area(s) of study must also. You can't just put someone into a category as a child then try to keep them on a rigid path. The mind will sway and so should education in order to arrive at the ideal end (potential). Education should react to interests.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »
...And how did this supposedly work out?

They always kicked butt in the olympics... and produced some incredibly scientific minds.

Why did they stop doing this?

I'm not so sure that they have.

It sounds like a good idea, but they could have easily used deeply flawed methods in determining what the child's talents are. Also, in order for such a system to work properly, it must be flexible. In other words, as interests evolve through time, the area(s) of study must also. You can't just put someone into a category as a child then try to keep them on a rigid path. The mind will sway and so should education in order to arrive at the ideal end (potential). Education should react to interests.

I agree.
w