Author Topic: Top 25 Censored Stories for 2009  (Read 1178 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Top 25 Censored Stories for 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
{giggle} I called it #26, ...but it's looking like it should've been ranked the #1 censored story of the past 3 yrs.  ;D
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
{giggle} I called it #26, ...but it's looking like it should've been ranked the #1 censored story of the past 3 yrs.  ;D
For this forum maybe, but those are the rules we all follow.  I'm sure you can post another #26 that doesn't violate the rules.. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
How were these censored if we're talking about them on the internet? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:05:39 AM »
major media opted to talk celebrities over these stories. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »

it just means we heard more about rhianna getting beat up or a-rod's drug use 6 years ago, rather than the trillion bucks going out the door or the dow headed for 6800 or worse.

Bush used this all the time.  snuck in terror alerts when white house had a major political headache, or snuck in legislation when all the eyes were on soemthing else.  it's simple politics.

Wed AM news... we're not going to hear much about obama and congress the night before, wrangling over a trillion bucks.  Rather, who shined on American idol.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:23 AM »
It was all election propaganda.

Oh but the left would NEVER do that.

http://chronicle.com/news/article/5923/public-opinion-researchers-censure-hopkins-scholar-over-findings-on-iraqi-deaths

February 5, 2009
Public-Opinion Researchers Censure Hopkins Scholar Over Findings on Iraqi Deaths

The American Association of Public Opinion Research has censured a Johns Hopkins University professor for refusing to disclose “basic facts” about his controversial research that estimated the number of civilians who have died in Iraq since the 2003 invasion is hundreds of thousands more than most other estimates.

The association conducted an eight-month inquiry into results published by Gilbert Burnham in the October 2006 issue of The Lancet, a British medical journal, that estimated that 650,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the U.S.-led invasion.

The inquiry into Mr. Burnham’s work arose because of a complaint by one of the association’s members. But Mr. Burnham, who is not a member of the association, refused to cooperate. He wouldn’t disclose such information as the wording of questions he used in a survey of Iraqis, the instructions and explanations that were provided to respondents, and a summary of the outcomes for all households selected as potential participants in the survey, according to a statement released by the group.

“This violated the standards of science, seriously undermines open public debate on critical issues, and undermines the credibility of all survey and public-opinion research,” said Richard A. Kulka, the association’s president.

The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Hopkins said it was disappointed with the findings but pointed out that neither it nor Mr. Burnham are members of the association.

The inquiry said nothing about the accuracy of Mr. Burnham’s work, which has been under fire since it was published.

In the midst of war, researchers working with Mr. Burnham collected data by sending teams of interviewers into Iraqi neighborhoods and canvassing more than 12,000 people in 1,800 households, contrasting the mortality rate before the invasion to the rate after.

But he refused to disclose the identities of the interviewers and the neighborhoods they surveyed in order, he said, to protect the safety of the interviewers. What’s more, Mr. Burnham’s group refused to widely distribute their data set, making it impossible to independently verify their findings.

The number of Iraqi civilians killed in the war has been a matter of great controversy since the invasion. The Iraqi government doesn’t collect data on civilian deaths, but in 2006 it estimated that only 100,000 to 150,000 civilians had been killed. —Andrew Mills
Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
I guess this explains why inflated war deaths didn't get more play. 

Really hard to argue that stories have been censored when they're all over the place.  The MSM choosing to cover other stories isn't censorship. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:38:19 AM »
I guess this explains why inflated war deaths didn't get more play. 

Really hard to argue that stories have been censored when they're all over the place.  The MSM choosing to cover other stories isn't censorship. 
quelshed,... happy?  I like that better anyway since there wasn't a censoring of the story, just not access for the stories.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
quelshed,... happy?  I like that better anyway since there wasn't a censoring of the story, just not access for the stories.

Squelched sounds like there was some kind of active, media wide attempt to not report these stories.  I doubt that's the case.  The MSM always cherry picks the news. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »
I doubt that's the case.   
i don't

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Squelched sounds like there was some kind of active, media wide attempt to not report these stories.  I doubt that's the case.  The MSM always cherry picks the news. 

I am sure that was some stories are squelched. The successes in Iraq are vastly under reported, so is anything that GWB did that helped America.
During the election the suppression of coverage of Obama was widely reported in the media.

Most of the stories in this list don't have any weight. Meaning that are either too hard to completely verify or that they are not of any interest to most Americans.

Just to let you know, anything that happens in Latin America, South America, Africa or Poor areas in Asia are of no interest to 99% of Americans.

College scores and the Oscars are of interest to 99% of America.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 11:31:37 AM »
The successes in Iraq are vastly under reported,

Why do you suppose media outlets like FOX did this?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
I am sure that was some stories are squelched. The successes in Iraq are vastly under reported, so is anything that GWB did that helped America.
During the election the suppression of coverage of Obama was widely reported in the media.

Most of the stories in this list don't have any weight. Meaning that are either too hard to completely verify or that they are not of any interest to most Americans.

Just to let you know, anything that happens in Latin America, South America, Africa or Poor areas in Asia are of no interest to 99% of Americans.

College scores and the Oscars are of interest to 99% of America.

Yeah.  I agree, especially with the bold part. 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:38 AM »
Why do you suppose media outlets like FOX did this?
My personal opinion is that they, Republicans, Democrats and the media, didn't want Iraq to become the key issue in the election.

Also McCain didn't exploit the news in Iraq because then it would have linked him to supporting the war.

I think it was a failure on his part once Obama picked Biden as his running mate. Since Biden supported the war.

you have to remember most media outlets are politically active, so they listen to the parties. Especially since the parties can limit access to the leaders or on platform issues.

This is key since news is now a 24hr business.
For example if the Edwards story broke will he was still running, it would have been disastrous to the whole democratic party, so they had the story pushed back until after he left the race.

Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
For example if the Edwards story broke will he was still running, it would have been disastrous to the whole democratic party, so they had the story pushed back until after he left the race.

Wow... that's huge...

you think FOX intentionally hid the story, so as to influence the election?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »
Wow... that's huge...

you think FOX intentionally hid the story, so as to influence the election?
I think it was the other way, fox tried not to influence the election.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/10/john_edwards_docudrama_the_ana.html
Had the story in October.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,402242,00.html
 We had the mistress story last spring, but chose not to air it because of the pain it would bring to Elizabeth Edwards, a brave woman, and her thee children. Also, Edwards was out of politics by then. If he had held power, it would have been a different story.

What we did do was expose Edwards as a dishonest politician, a man who tried to exploit American military people to prop up his preposterous theory that the United States economy punishes the poor.

Edwards ran around telling everybody that 200,000 vets were homeless because the economy was corrupt. Nonsense. The truth is the vast majority of American homeless, including vets, are either addicted or mentally ill.
Z

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Top 25 Censored Stories For 2009
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »
PLEASE READ STORIES (click each link) AND SEE REFERENCES BEFORE COMMENTING...ENLIGHTENIN G

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/category/y-2009/
C