Author Topic: About running  (Read 4784 times)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
About running
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
Im eating atleast one junk meal a day, eating whatever i want and a lot lately, didnt gain any fat at all, look to be even leaner, just 2 times a week running for a hour. Riciculous change in metabolism, and i enjoy running outside. First time i run everything hurt, for a couple of days, second time didnt feel a thing. And i smoke a lot, conclusion start running.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
Re: About running
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »
2 more weeks then it is time for me to start leaning up which means i'll start running. I hate it, but probably because i used to run cross country so i am always pushing myself till the point of puking.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »
2 more weeks then it is time for me to start leaning up which means i'll start running. I hate it, but probably because i used to run cross country so i am always pushing myself till the point of puking.

you should slow your pace, much better, call it jogging

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
YEAH LOVE RUNNING

TRAINING FOR A 10K RACE NOW

TA TA
Ta ta nerds!

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
you should slow your pace, much better, call it jogging

I believe it is pronounced yogging

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:41 AM »
Running is great if you can do it (a lot of people are too heavy for their joints to handle it) and it does help you melt a lot of fat. From the cardio / fat burning point of view though, swimming is better cause it takes you longer to cover a given distance by swimming than by running, not to mention you involve your whole body and it's a non-impact activity.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
I prefer mountain-biking.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
swimming is better cause it takes you longer to cover a given distance by swimming than by running, not to mention you involve your whole body and it's a non-impact activity.

That's a bizarre conclusion that swimming is better because it takes longer for the same distance, that makes no sense.

Swimming is better and is arguably the best all-round exercise plus is much easier on the joints but i'll take running for fat loss anyday. Alot of us can't run now though because it's hard on the joints and shins. Swimming will get rid of much of the extra fat but won't get you lean.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
That's a bizarre conclusion that swimming is better because it takes longer for the same distance. ::)

I meant in terms of the total energy expenditure, which translates to more calories being burned for covering the given distance. Again, only speaking in the context of doing the activity to burn off as many calories as possible (to get leaner).

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
I meant in terms of the total energy expenditure, which translates to more calories being burned for the given distance. Again, speaking in the context of doing the activity to burn off as many calories as possible (to get leaner).

Swimming's considered by many to be less effective for fat loss, in part at least because the temperature of the water affects metabolism and makes the body retain fat. Whatever the reason is, I think there's truth to it, comparing physiques of swimmers (smooth as hell) to runners. Swimming will get rid of most of the fat but doesn't seem to get most lean.

That's separate from what is the best overall exercise, swimming is better by far and is much easier on the joints.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:38 AM »
I meant in terms of the total energy expenditure, which translates to more calories being burned for covering the given distance. Again, only speaking in the context of doing the activity to burn off as many calories as possible (to get leaner).

I think you need to focus on time rather than distance. Pretty sure you burn more calories/minute while swimming than running.
from incomplete data

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:42 AM »
hmm im not talking about the fat loss during a 1 hour run, im talking about the shift in metabolism, and the abilty to eat a lot more food without gaining any fat.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
Swimming's considered by many to be less effective for fat loss, in part at least because the temperature of the water affects metabolism and makes the body retain fat. Whatever the reason is, I think there's truth to it, comparing physiques of swimmers (smooth as hell) to runners.

That's separate from what is the best overall exercise, swimming is better by far and is much easier on the joints.

Interesting point about the water temperature and the fat retention - true, the difference in leanness between swimmers and runners could be more than correlation. I'd like to see more on the part about the water affecting the body that way under varying conditions (eg heated pool vs swimming in the ocean).

I think you need to focus on time rather than distance. Pretty sure you burn more calories/minute while swimming than running.

Wouldn't know - I never do Cardio (unless scratching myself occasionally counts) ;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
Big fan or running here.  Most getbig permabulkers will tell you it's bad but unless you are doing marathon like distances, it should benefit you greatly without burning off muscle. 

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
Did anyone here see Eastbound and Down on HBO last week. It was hilarious. My favorite part was when the guy goes I've been training for a triathlon so i've been doing a lot of running, biking and swimming, but you know all about that. And the main character responds No i don't I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising. It is funny because it is true.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 11:36:56 AM »
How do you mother lickers keep from getting bored while running?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
Music... and struggling to breathe. 

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
 basketball - great cardio workout

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
basketball - great cardio workout

Unless played on the regular not very practical.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »

Snag drinks out of peoples hands as you go by.  Also fun with sandwiches, toupees, and purses.

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
Unless played on the regular not very practical.

. It's a great way to decompress after a work along with a a visit to the gym.  I try to get in a game at least once a week but it depends on how much energy I have left after office.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
So im back from running, its the most satisfying feeling after a good run, love it. hmm stamina is noticably improved, it was the 3rd time i take longer steps and automatially body wants to use higher speed than the previous time. its good allright, i bought this bike for work, its gonna be 35 km to work each day, my stamina is ready, how do you like the bike?

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
So im back from running, its the most satisfying feeling after a good run, love it. hmm stamina is noticably improved, it was the 3rd time i take longer steps and automatially body wants to use higher speed than the previous time. its good allright, i bought this bike for work, its gonna be 35 km to work each day, my stamina is ready, how do you like the bike?

Looks okay. This is my option:

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
Swimming's considered by many to be less effective for fat loss, in part at least because the temperature of the water affects metabolism and makes the body retain fat. Whatever the reason is, I think there's truth to it, comparing physiques of swimmers (smooth as hell) to runners.

Swimmers have higher bodyfat because it helps performance...not as a side effect of swimming...