Author Topic: new to pwoer lifitng 2  (Read 3702 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
new to pwoer lifitng 2
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
So yesterday was the big lift. It was a lot different than I expected.

I made a ton of mistakes but all in all it was pretty good event, well at least a good learning lesson.

The squat:
Well I took my family and they were hungry and things were moving slowly so we went to eat. This was the first mistake because when I got back they were calling my name for the lift. So when I took the lift it felt heavy as shit. I wanted to open with 275, but instead they had me open with 385! Well I took and only missed barely on depth. So I went for the same weight again and then I didn't hit it again! This is when I realized it was not the weight I wanted and I messed up on not being there on time. So I missed on depth again, so I pretty much bombed out, but they let me finish the meet.

The bench:
This went easy as far as the lifting but I missed a shit load of commands. First I missed on the rack command, then I hit it good, and then on the 3rd attempt I missed on the pause command.

Dead lift:
I did well on this but by this time I was pretty blown for messing up so much. Then to top it off I missed the final lift because I didn't hold it long enough.

Overall I have a lot of work to do until the next meet I do. I need to hook up with a team or at least another person who is into power lifting. Everyone there had a coach, training buddy, and or a team.

I have so much more respect for power lifting now. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. So thanks again for all the help and I am sure I will be on the training board begging for help there too!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: new to pwoer lifitng 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
Thats what a first meet is all about right there! ;D

Best of luck in the future!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
Sounds like some lessons learned and good experience to take with you into the next one!  Nothing wrong with that! 

but what do you mean they had you open with 385?!?!  YOU determine your openers, not them...so if you said that your opener was going to be 275 when you checked in, how do you end up at 385?  That's quite a big difference!

:)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
Unlucky man.

I was thinking the same as Rip, 385 would have felt like a ton if you had planned on 275?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »
How did your strength feel?

Do you feel like you were able to get a little peak for the meet?

Nice to see you getting through the benchpress and the deadlift. Having to lift with 110 lbs more than your preferred weight should be a little awkward I would think...

Overall, good experience.

As empty as paradise

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »
Sounds like some lessons learned and good experience to take with you into the next one!  Nothing wrong with that! 

but what do you mean they had you open with 385?!?!  YOU determine your openers, not them...so if you said that your opener was going to be 275 when you checked in, how do you end up at 385?  That's quite a big difference!

i put down 125 for my first lift and they read it as 175.

i was literally walking into the gym while they were calling my name, with 30 seconds left.

luckily i already had my singlet on, so i just threw my pants off and ran for it. funny when i thought it was 275, even though it felt like the heaviest 275 of my life, i had an easier time with it. i totally messed it up by not being there on time, because since i took the lift it counted as a lift so i could not go for a lower weight for my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

next time the only people that will come with me are training partners, if i do not have a training partners by then i will go at it alone. there was so much support there i don't see it as an issue.

so hopefully i have learned something from all of this and i won't make a fool of myself again.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:08 PM »
How did your strength feel?

Do you feel like you were able to get a little peak for the meet?

Nice to see you getting through the benchpress and the deadlift. Having to lift with 110 lbs more than your preferred weight should be a little awkward I would think...

Overall, good experience.

my strength felt pretty good. i felt as though my bench was good, but i should have had more practice with my buddy who did the lift off. when he handed it off it was little too far forward so i spent a lot of time trying to adjust it for the lift, i missed the bench command because i was so focused on the up and down after the adjusting i didn't even think about it. i did 425 on the dead and i had plenty left in me, which prior to this my best dead was 405, but like i said i missed the down command. someone shouted good lift so i lowered it, oh well.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:28:36 AM »
i put down 125 for my first lift and they read it as 175.

i was literally walking into the gym while they were calling my name, with 30 seconds left.

luckily i already had my singlet on, so i just threw my pants off and ran for it. funny when i thought it was 275, even though it felt like the heaviest 275 of my life, i had an easier time with it. i totally messed it up by not being there on time, because since i took the lift it counted as a lift so i could not go for a lower weight for my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

next time the only people that will come with me are training partners, if i do not have a training partners by then i will go at it alone. there was so much support there i don't see it as an issue.

so hopefully i have learned something from all of this and i won't make a fool of myself again.

Well you should totally bring your family next time, but just pack a cooler so you don't have to go anywhere!  And work on your handwriting!  :D

You didn't make a fool of yourself...at least you got in there and got some decent lifts and know more about how the meets work now.  You even DID the squat, just not to depth.  I'm sure you learned quite a bit. 

Training alone is tough but it can be done.  You should start a thread on the training board, you'll get some good input.  And if you have to go to the meets alone, there's always people willing to help you.

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »

Well you should totally bring your family next time, but just pack a cooler so you don't have to go anywhere!  And work on your handwriting!  :D

You didn't make a fool of yourself...at least you got in there and got some decent lifts and know more about how the meets work now.  You even DID the squat, just not to depth.  I'm sure you learned quite a bit. 

Training alone is tough but it can be done.  You should start a thread on the training board, you'll get some good input.  And if you have to go to the meets alone, there's always people willing to help you.

you know, i've got the absolute crappiest handwriting on the planet---I've had bars misloaded.  All you have to do is pay attention and have the handlers (or yourself) tell the judges as soon as its announced.  I've never competed where they didn't reload the bar---I have been at meets where the people working the table then made me read my other attempts to them .  ;D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
you know, i've got the absolute crappiest handwriting on the planet
LOL
epic vet stereotype.
As empty as paradise

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 10:15:34 PM »

chasing my 3 y/o and hearing how bored everyone was, is nerve racking. hand writing sucks, but i should have been there in time to correct it before the lift.

thread started!

there were very cool people at the meet. people offered there belts extra squat suits etc! i had really good time and i am sure i will have an even better time the next one where i hit a majority of the lifts!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:29:59 PM »
LOL
epic vet stereotype.

You lost me Hedge.....  Sorry. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V