• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 97
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: UFC 97
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »
He's got a legit shot at Silva. I'm betting on him.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:15 PM »

Silva didn't look as good in his last fight...

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

I don't think its that he didn't look good... it seemed like he was just toying around...  hadn't of opened up yet.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »

Really?  I'll take that bet.  How much you wanna put down?
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »

How so?  He was in control the entire time.  Never got taken down.  Never got hit.
w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Chuck Liddell video blog for UFC 97
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:59 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
The Fundamentals Favor Chuck Liddell
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 06:37:36 AM »
UFC 97 is headlined by Anderson Silva's title defense agains Thales Leites, but the main attraction on the show is Chuck Liddell's fight with Shogun.  A few years ago, this fight was debated over and over among hardcore fans.  Pride stalwarts considered the idea of Chuck beating Shogun impossible; UFC fans believed in Chuck's invincibility.

Today, there is no doubt both fighters are on the decline.  But where Chuck looks a step or two slower than he used to, Shogun looks like a completely different fighter.  Far from improving his terrible performance against Forrest Griffin, he actually looked even worse against Coleman.

Shogun's standup abilities have been overblown since his dominant win over Quinton, but his strength has always been his top game.  His muay thai is good from an offensive perspective, but he leaves a lot of openings.  Mark Coleman was hurt the entire fight and completely gassed, but he still managed to tag Shogun with his back against the fence.  If this fight proceeds like the last, with Shogun moving forward while Chuck picks his shots from against the fence, Shogun is going to lose in the first round.

Shogun is not a dumb fighter though, and you have to figure he knows that he is doomed if he fights that way.  Still, it's hard to see any advantage for Shogun outside of leg kicks.  He probably can't take Chuck down, and I don't see him having any success at all in the clinch given Chuck's strength.  He needs to turn this into a technical, slow standing fight, and I've never seen Shogun fight that way.

Dana White may say he needs Chuck to "dazzle" him, but he also provided Chuck with a perfect style match.  If Shogun shows up like he has the last two times, and Chuck can't win, then it really is time to call it quits. 

Both fighters have a ton on the line here, and it feels like December 2007 again when both Chuck and Wanderlei were in must-win positions.  People thought Chuck would have to retire if he lost, and there will surely be similar claims if he loses here.  The bright side for fans is that Chuck responded to desperation at UFC 79 with a great performance, desperation doesn't lead to timidity for Liddell, and I don't think Shogun will be timid either.  I think it really will be an all-out war, only this time I don't think the fight goes to decision.  I think this is Chuck's fight to lose.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Chuck Liddell Training With Danillo Villefort at ATT
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:42 AM »
Sherdog reports:

...the one-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion was invited to help train Liddell in advance of his UFC 97 showdown with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua this Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

American Top Team founder Ricardo Liborio connected Villefort with Liddell.

"He’s a good friend of Chuck’s coach, John Hackleman," Villefort said. "John needed someone to help him on the ground. Liborio invited me, and I accepted immediately. Chuck’s a legend in MMA."
"One thing that really impressed me was the professional way he takes care of his diet," he said. "Before coming here, I thought Gesias [Cavalcante] was the master in that aspect, but Chuck is the most impressive I’ve ever seen in my whole life. His diet is totally natural. He has a nutritionist who takes care of his diet for the whole week. When I told American Top Team people about it, they didn’t think I was serious. Because of Chuck’s natural belly, many people have the wrong idea about him, but this guy is a real example of how a professional should behave."

Villefort signed with the WEC before the collapse of their middle and welterweight divisions. Apparently he'll be fighting for the UFC but not clear at which weight. Villefort's father is Master Francisco Pereira da Silva, also known as Master Indio, "a legendary fighter in Brazil with more than 280 vale-tudo fights." Anyone with more info on Master Indio please post it in the comments. I know he had a judo background but also trained jiu jitsu.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Dana White UFC 97 Video Blog 4/13
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Almost No One Thinks Thales Leites Can Beat Anderson Silva
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
 Sherdog's Pro's Pick feature comes up with one of the most one-sided counts I've ever seen:

Pros that picked Silva: 18
Pros that picked Leites: 1
Pros that did not pick a winner: 3

UFC.com's Michael DiSanto has to come up with a scenario that makes this bout intriguing. Here's what he came up with:

The challenger needs to circle early and avoid engaging in the opening seconds. That may lull Silva into some showboating as the crowd jeers. One of his showboating techniques is to stick his chin out and roll his hands in a Saturday Night Fever sort of way. He does that while walking in. It is a taunt designed to get his opponent to strike so that he can counter, which really is what Silva does best.

Leites has no choice but to attack at that point. He needs to attack as soon as he sees Silva bring his hands together while leaning forward. For that split second, Silva is out of position to fire an effective counter. Thus, Leites needs to dive in with a right hand like there is no tomorrow. All he needs to do is land one shot on the chin and the fight could be over. Silva has a great chin, but anyone can get knocked out with those little vale tudo gloves.

Leites  needs to have a backup plan. That plan consists of trying to time a Silva punch and shoot for a takedown. He cannot lead with a takedown attempt because Silva has an excellent sprawl and, more importantly, he is expert at timing shots with a flying knee strike. He knocked out Carlos Newton by countering a takedown with a flying knee strike to the jaw at PRIDE 25.

Yet, if he can shoot off of a Silva punch, he may very well get the fight to the ground. Once there, he needs to be very aggressive trying to pass into a dominant position so that he can work for a submission or try to pound out the champion.

He cannot be cautious and calculating on the ground because Silva is a black belt with an excellent guard. He has extremely long, lean legs, which allow him to place his opponent in a body triangle from the guard. That eliminates any chance of passing and also effectively neutralizes all submission attempts, so it just becomes a ground-and-pound game while caught in Silva’s guard, and that isn’t an overly effective way to end the fight.

If Leites is able to get into side mount, Kimuras and arm bars are a real possibility. Also, Silva likes to defend side mount by rolling to his stomach and standing up. That opens the door for Leites to take his back and look for a rear naked choke.

Again, he needs to throw the kitchen sink at Silva in terms of submission attempts because it isn’t likely that with Leites’ lack of dominant wrestling skills that he will be able to take down Silva repeatedly during the bout.

I love how plan A is to throw a hail mary punch. I think I'm alone out there in giving Leites a decent chance against Silva. Anderson's losses have all come against strong ground fighters and Leites fits that bill.

Don't get me wrong, I'm picking Silva, but I think Leites has a better chance than he's being given by most.

UPDATE: Kelvin Hunt has a nice piece from a little while back that makes the case for Thales:

Anderson Silva loves to feel out his opponent for the first couple minutes of the fight. He uses that time to gauge distance and get a sense of timing for his opponents. Then he explodes with a variety of moves, sometimes it's a flying knee or the straight left. Silva likes to entertain and if he goes for a flying knee or something spectacular Leites could get the take down to work his magic. Leites had Marquardt mounted a couple of times only to let Marquardt either escape or reclaim half/full guard. As I mentioned earlier, Marquardt is one of the larger/stronger guys of the MW division and an accomplished grappler in his own right. So I'm not so sure that Silva would be able to escape being mounted by Leites. I would also like to think that Leites has watched the Marquardt fight and tighten up the errors that he made on the ground in that fight.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Re: The Fundamentals Favor Chuck Liddell
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Does Shogun train anymore?  Last couple fights it didn't look like it.  Chuck by KO.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Re: Almost No One Thinks Thales Leites Can Beat Anderson Silva
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
Anderson did get mounted by Travis Lutter and took some decent g'np.  I just can't go aginst Silva in this one.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Anderson Silva Spoils MMA Fans
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
Kevin Iole gives the perfect example:

Silva, whom [UFC President Dana] White insists is the world’s pound-for-pound best fighter, said he wants to be remembered in all-time terms. To do that, he’s going to have to get back to his old devastating self. He became No. 1 in the Yahoo! Sports poll of the world’s best fighters in January 2008 and held the top spot alone for 13 months. He’s been tied with Fedor Emelianenko over the last three months.

The problem with that is that Silva has set such a high standard in his wins over foes such as Rich Franklin, Chris Leben and James Irvin, that anything less seems substandard. Boxing fans wouldn’t have been content with Mike Tyson as a counter puncher and defensive wizard and MMA fans aren’t going to be satisfied with an overly cautious Silva.

Fedor showed a chink in his armor in his last fight against Andrei Arlovski; he was losing the fight until a well timed counter ended Andrei's night. Anderson, on the other hand, was never touched and was in total control in his fight against Patrick Cote. The only difference was that we didn't see a highlight reel KO finish due to Cote's knee giving out.

Fedor showed weakness and Silva had an anti-climatic, yet dominant win over Cote. But somehow, Fedor rose in the rankings of MMA fans and experts, while Silva's votes went down a bit. Fedor gets praise, while Silva gets tons of undeserved criticism.

Anderson Silva has spoiled MMA fans, so much so that anything other than a first round highlight reel finish would be disappointing.

Iole on the other hand, thinks those criticism could be used as extra fuel to Silva's fire:

A motivated Silva is usually a very dangerous Silva. Try as he might to downplay, he was clearly stung by the criticism he received after his win over Cote. And, as White said, someone is going to pay.

The very reason that so many speak of Silva as the best fighter in the world is because he is able to impose his will and essentially script the fights.

Somehow, I get the impression that the script for this one is going to seem like a horror show to Leites.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Steve Cantwell Focuses on Jiu-Jitsu for UFC 97 Bout With Luis Cane
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »
Steve Cantwell, a committed and very underrated technician, believes the key to victory Saturday will be utilizing his BJJ against the extremely durable Brazilian:

Q: How do you break down Luis Cane from a technical standpoint?

He throws big, hard punches and kicks from the left side. So I've just go to avoid his left and see how good his ground game is.

When you fought Brian Stann, you beat him by playing the angles and mixing up your strikes a lot. how likely are we to see that sort of game plan again?

A: They're actually a lot alike, but Brian Stann is right-handed and Luis Cane is southpaw. So as far as my strategy on the feet goes, same strategy, (but) different combinations that I'm looking for, as far as right-handed versus southpaw. ... I'm definitely going to put him on his back and see how he works from there.

Notably, Cantwell says for light heavyweight division the BJJ talent is comparatively weak and that will give him a leg up:

Speaking of smooth, you probably have one of the smoother ground games among the light heavyweights. It seems like lately the 205-pounders have been dominated by guys who like to stay on their feet. As you try to progress through the division, how much do you think you might be helped by the fact that you're a little different from most of these guys who are strikers?

I'm willing to strike too. By no means am I going to rush it to the ground. I'm not afraid to stand up with anybody.

But yeah, I think a lot of guys are looking past jiu-jitsu in that division. You're 100% right about that. In the other divisions — 170, 185, even heavyweight — you see a lot of good jiu-jitsu guys. But right now at 205, you don't see too many guys with a real solid ground game. I mean, there's a handful, but I think it's probably one of the weaker points of the division as a whole.

So I plan on training my jiu-jitsu every day, as hard as I can, and putting it to the test.

Part of the issue is the power of the light heavyweights to end fights striking more regularly than lightweight or featherweight fighters. But historically, BJJ has typically been more of a smaller man's game. There are not only more competitors in the lighter weights (and that's a separate issue of better athletes gravitating to stick and ball sports), but the game often suits players who are more mobile, particularly in no gi. Obviously there are a host of superb grapplers at any weight class and even decent competitors at every professional grappling level, but when 220lbs men are able to add punches, kicks and GNP to their arsenal, a focus on jiu-jitsu can wane.

As for the fight itself, both are technical and durable, but clearly Cantwell is the more technical of two while Cane's toughness is downright outrageous. Cantwell likely believes banging with Cane is a more risky affair that will require a significantly higher output thus making the fight a BJJ battle the more logical choice. This fight isn't setting the MMA world on fire, but it has the makings to be rewarding for hardcore and casual fans alike.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
The Chuck Liddell vs Shogun Rua fight at UFC 97 could be the last hurrah as top contenders at 205lbs for one or both of these stars. And they're taking the fight seriously, both men reconfiguring their training regimes.

Chuck Liddell:

To help "address his mistakes" or to help him evolve as a fighter, Liddell enlisted the help of the guys over at American Top Team, considered to be one of the best training camps in MMA.

"I spent some time down in Florida, and since then, I have brought a part of their camp to mine. It has been very beneficial to work with them. Everything was covered; I am in great shape right now. Everything is working for me and I am ready to go."

If Danillo Villefort and the guys over at ATT did their job, Liddell may come out working better then ever.

One thing to consider about Chuck training with Villefort is Villefort's judo background. The kid's not just a BJJ blackbelt, he's the son of Master Indio, one of the old vale tudo legends of Brazil and one of the first to combine Judo with BJJ. I'll be watching to see if Chuck busts out any foot sweeps or throws in the clinch against Shogun.

Shogun Rua:

Rua touts his decision to make radical changes to his training regimen as a reason to believe in him again. Besides moving to Sao Paulo, Brazil -- where he spent the last five weeks training three times a day with top professionals like middleweight contender Demian Maia, wrestling coach Renato Roma and conditioning expert Eric Haddad -- Rua also hired Chute Boxe Academy trainer Sergio Cunha, one of the most respected men in Brazil.

"Cunha is my head coach, and he's a very complete guy," Rua said. "He organizes my training schedule. I'm very happy with him, and I hope I have a longtime partnership with him."

Since he entered the UFC, Rua’s conditioning -- or lack of it -- has come under heavy scrutiny. As such, Haddad has kept the magnetic Brazilian closer to the 205-pound threshold for light heavyweights.

"I’m weighing 215 pounds," Rua said. "I was at 226 pounds, but Eric told me to stay at 215 and lose just few pounds for the fight."

"It has changed all my preparation," he said. "I’m 100 percent focused on training; my life here is a routine. Very early in the morning, I leave home and go to the gym. I’m training three times a day. I was with good trainers [before I fought Coleman], but I wasn’t this focused. Maybe it was because I was at home with my family, and I was a little relaxed. Here, I have more motivation."
"I went a year and a half without fighting, and I feel I lost my rhythm a little, but now I’m back," Rua said. "I was calm and well-trained, wasn’t tense; it was lack of fight rhythm."

Its interesting (and a good sign) that Shogun is training with his old trainer from Chute Boxe Sergio Cunha. I blame the knee injuries (and surgeries) for most of Shogun's problems in the UFC, but going back to the old trainer can't hurt. You never had to worry about Shogun gassing in the PRIDE days. Of course you also had to worry about him stomping on your head, not something he'll be doing in the Octagon.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: Anderson Silva Spoils MMA Fans
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
I watched both fights and I really don't think fedor showed any weakness. Plus, even if you can make that argument, Fedor fought a much tougher and more accomplished opponent than Anderson did, and he did it without being cautious/ overly defensive- and he knocked him out cold without even training seriously for the fight. One month while flying to and from Thailand to film a movie? Gimme a break.

Alvis is a much more formidable opponent than Cote- its not even debatable. Fedor knocked Alaska into next Sunday and Cote was putting up a solid showing against Silva until he tore his ACL unintentionally.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
As UFC 97 looms, Dana White backs off Chuck Liddell retirement talk
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
MONTREAL - Despite recent comments that a loss on Saturday could mean a forced retirement for Chuck Liddell, UFC President Dana White has backed off the claims and said the 39-year-old fighter has earned the right to have a say in the decision.

White softened his stance (to put it mildly) during Wednesday's pre-UFC 97 press conference at Montreal's Bell Centre, which hosts Saturday's pay-per-view event.

"I think early on when I first made that statement publicly, it got blown out of proportion," White said. "Kind of like most of my public statements."

White backed down from comments he made last month to the Canadian Press' Neil Davidson. At the time, White said he had put Liddell on notice that he not only needs to beat Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at Saturday's UFC 97 event, but that he needs to win in convincing fashion.

"I'm not even saying if he wins (because) unless he looks incredibly impressive - I mean, he's going to have to go out there and dazzle me for me to want Chuck to still fight," White told the Canadian news agency.

Additionally, White was even more blunt while a guest on Wednesday's edition of "Off the Record" on TSN. He told host Michael Lansberg, "If Chuck loses Saturday, he will retire."

White, though, now says such a decision will not be made without first consulting Liddell and that the MMA superstar and future UFC hall-of-famer will always have a home with the organization. As long as White is alive and kicking, anyway.

"He and I sat down before this fight was made and had a long talk," said White, with Liddell sitting to his side. "Everyone knows my relationship with him. I was basically saying [those comments], you know, out of friendship. People were like, 'Oh, you're going to kick Chuck Liddell to the curb.' Far from it. Whether he's fighting or retired, he's going to be with the UFC until I'm dead."

Liddell shrugged off the retirement talk and said it'll be a non-factor come Saturday, when he and Rua - who were considered the world's top two light heavyweights just a couple years ago - meet in UFC 97's co-main event.

"Honestly, I'm planning to come out and have an impressive performance and knock him out," Liddell said. "With that, I don't think there's going to be any problems with bringing me back (to the UFC), so I'm really not worried about it. It's not something I worry about. It's like everything else. This fight is very important, it's a very tough fight, and so I'm going to concentrate on this. I'll worry about what happens after the fight after the fight."

Even if Liddell were to lose, don't expect him to get his walking papers that night.

White said he'd never treat Liddell, the biggest earner in UFC history, in such a manner.

"As a friend (of Liddell's), I'm not going to run backstage and say, 'You're done, it's over, beat it, and get lost,'" White said. "We'll sit down and talk after the fight on Saturday and see what happens."

However, that's not to say Liddell isn't under pressure to perform. Once considered one of the UFC's most dominant champions following a championship victory and four title defenses (from 2005 to 2007), Liddell is now 1-3 in his past four fights.

The unfortunate streak included knockout losses to Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans, a split-decision defeat to Keith Jardine and a narrow unanimous-decision win over Wanderlei Silva. It's been two-and-a-half years since Liddell's most recent knockout win, and some have suggested the sport has evolved past him.

White, though, thinks Liddell is taking the right steps to get back on track.

"Chuck told me, being the Chuck Liddell we all now and love, 'I'm not done fighting yet, I love fighting, I want to fight still, and I want to take a run at the title again,'" White said. "So how do I say no to that? I think he's changed his lifestyle habits a little bit. He's gotten back in the gym and started training hard. He's focused and taking it seriously. We'll see what happens Saturday."

But whatever happens, White wants to see something impressive now that Liddell is entering the twilight of his career.

"He's going to have to come out put on a good performance," White said. "Because my point is, what more does this guy have left to prove? He's the most famous mixed martial artist in this sport. He helped us build this sport. He made a ton of money, and he's held the world championship. I mean, he's done everything you can possibly do, and he's almost 40 years old now."

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: As UFC 97 looms, Dana White backs off Chuck Liddell retirement talk
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
Watching The IceMan get put on Ice every few months is getting played out. If he doesn't win, its time for his pot bellied ass to open a few "IceMan Gyms" and make a few $$$$ before his old ass is irrelevant.
!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Dana White UFC 97 Vlog: April 17th.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »