Author Topic: tax Marijuana to save the economy?  (Read 13942 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: tax Marijuana to save the economy?
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
Honestly, after seeing the skit from CNBC called "Marajuana Inc." we really need to legalize pot and start making this a money generating enterprise instead of a endless pit of tax money.

I really don't have a firm opinion about legalizing pot.  I've spent a lot of years talking to kids about the dangers of drug use, so I'm inclined to keep things the way they are, but I haven't really delved into the whole "legalize and tax it" viewpoint.

What I disagree with is trying to justify violating the current law and trying to say it is "harmless."   

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
all prohibition does is try to take things away from otherwise law abiding citizens...what did it do for alcohol?did it stop it?no it made everything worse.crime went up....what would happen if the government made guns illegal?all it would do is take the rights of the average law abiding citizen away from them.the criminal's are still criminal.they don't care about the law they will still have guns.would it stop the otherwise law abiding people from trying to arm themselves?I hope not...but then they would be labeled criminal to.

It all comes down to human rights and common sense.you can't regulate what another person wants to put in there body.All you can do is educate them and hope they make a wise decision.everyone knows McDonald's is terrible for you does it stop people from eating there every day?hell no.

I'll ask it again..When has anything being illegal stopped someone who wanted to use it from using it?If a bodybuilder decides he wants to do steroids all the laws in the world aren't going to stop him from doing so.same goes for pot,alcohol,etc.

DAWG

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »
all prohibition does is try to take things away from otherwise law abiding citizens...what did it do for alcohol?did it stop it?no it made everything worse.crime went up....what would happen if the government made guns illegal?all it would do is take the rights of the average law abiding citizen away from them.the criminal's are still criminal.they don't care about the law they will still have guns.would it stop the otherwise law abiding people from trying to arm themselves?I hope not...but then they would be labeled criminal to.

It all comes down to human rights and common sense.you can't regulate what another person wants to put in there body.All you can do is educate them and hope they make a wise decision.everyone knows McDonald's is terrible for you does it stop people from eating there every day?hell no.

I'll ask it again..When has anything being illegal stopped someone who wanted to use it from using it?If a bodybuilder decides he wants to do steroids all the laws in the world aren't going to stop him from doing so.same goes for pot,alcohol,etc.

Like I said, I never ever smoked doped in my life,  but I agree that we should legalize pot.  The police state and gang problems that it has fueled is unacceptable.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »
I really don't have a firm opinion about legalizing pot.  I've spent a lot of years talking to kids about the dangers of drug use, so I'm inclined to keep things the way they are, but I haven't really delved into the whole "legalize and tax it" viewpoint.

What I disagree with is trying to justify violating the current law and trying to say it is "harmless."   

thats great you talk to kids about the dangers as everyone should...but whats that have to do with"keeping things the way they are".things the way they are now aren't working.and most of law enforcement that are fighting this war on drugs agree with that.

DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »

DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
thats great you talk to kids about the dangers as everyone should...but whats that have to do with"keeping things the way they are".things the way they are now aren't working.and most of law enforcement that are fighting this war on drugs agree with that.

I don't think drug use is a good thing.  I don't think most successful people use drugs.  I don't think it makes people smarter (probably the opposite).  I don't think it's healthy.     

I wouldn't say current drug laws are not working.  We have laws in place.  Most people follow the law.  Some violate it.  Some who violate it are punished.  It will always be that way. 

I don't think there is a law on the books that has completely prevented criminal activity.  We still have thieves, murderers, rapists, molesters, tax cheats, etc.  Hundreds and thousands of them.  But we still keep those laws on the books and punish those who break those laws.

And no, I'm not equating potheads with murders, etc.  I'm only addressing the futility argument.     

What should happen is people who disagree with the law should lobby their representatives to get the law changed, not break the current law and try to justify being a criminal.   

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
I don't think drug use is a good thing.  I don't think most successful people use drugs.  I don't think it makes people smarter (probably the opposite).  I don't think it's healthy.     

1. Most people (successful or not) use drugs.

2. Drug use can be a good thing if done right.

3. Some drugs can increase mental capacity and performance.

4. Some drugs are healthy, and most aren't unhealthy. Marijuana is not unhealthy and does have health benefits.

I wouldn't say current drug laws are not working.  We have laws in place.  Most people follow the law.  Some violate it.  Some who violate it are punished.  It will always be that way. 

Most people do NOT follow the laws. Most people break the laws. Look at the drug statistics (which are often estimated to be undervalued) and the marijuana use statistics. MOST people have used illegal drugs, many recently.

Your definition of "working" is bullshit. No system that "worked" would create more havoc than it pretends to stop. No system that  "worked" would deprive people of liberty over a plant.

What should happen is people who disagree with the law should lobby their representatives to get the law changed, not break the current law and try to justify being a criminal.   

Why not break marijuana laws? Apart from getting in "trouble" with "big brother"..What is the harm?

Wait...Reefer Madness?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
1. Most people (successful or not) use drugs.

2. Drug use can be a good thing if done right.

3. Some drugs can increase mental capacity and performance.

4. Some drugs are healthy, and most aren't unhealthy. Marijuana is not unhealthy and does have health benefits.

Most people do NOT follow the laws. Most people break the laws. Look at the drug statistics (which are often estimated to be undervalued) and the marijuana use statistics. MOST people have used illegal drugs, many recently.

Your definition of "working" is bullshit. No system that "worked" would create more havoc than it pretends to stop. No system that  "worked" would deprive people of liberty over a plant.

Why not break marijuana laws? Apart from getting in "trouble" with "big brother"..What is the harm?

Wait...Reefer Madness?

Just to clarify, when I say "drugs" I'm referring to cocaine, marijuana, heroin, LSD, crack, ice, etc. 

1.  No, most people don't use drugs and most successful people do not use drugs. 

2.  Recreational drugs, which is the context for comments, are "good" because they put people in an altered state of mind, but that is a temporary feeling. 

3.  No, drugs do not increase mental capacity and performance.  That's why it's against the law to drive under the influence of drugs and probably always will be whether we legalize them or not.  Plus, the reason employers drug test is because they don't want people who use drugs working for them.   

4.  Drugs are not healthy.  There is nothing healthy about smoking.  At a minimum, it probably damages cilia (sp?).  The only health benefits of marijuana is pain med.  I've already posted numerous links talking about negative side-effects. 

5.  No, most people in this country do not use drugs.  More crazy talk.  People who use drugs are a minority.  Most people obey the law.  That's why our society functions so well.  A vocal minority is still a minority. 

6.  Using drugs is not constitutional right.  Did I miss the part of the Constitution, court decision, etc. that says this? 

7.  Why obey the law??   ::)  You may not get this, but obeying the law is a good thing.  It's part of being a good citizen.  It gives you more choices in life.  It avoids having to sacrifice your freedom.  It makes you better citizen and role model.  You sleep well.  If you want the law changed then lobby your representatives.   

Those are some of the things I tell impressionable fourth and fifth graders.  Adults know better.