Author Topic: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?  (Read 7051 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
has anyone here used active release therapy for shoudler problems?

any experiences to share?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Prednisolone & The Getbigger
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
IMO and experience, it is a terrible drug. It actually made me feel like shooting myself or stabbing myself. Horrible drug that did nothing for my medical condition at the time, and it made me insane. .. and not good fun cool insane.
a

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »
Rob, have you tried massage?
R

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
Rob, have you tried massage yet?

Are you offering?  I think he would prefer a happy ending from you.  ;D

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
Side effects of prednisolone and other corticosteroids range from mild annoyances to serious irreversible damage. Side effects include fluid retention, weight gain, high blood pressure, potassium loss, headache, muscle weakness, puffiness of and hair growth on the face, thinning and easy bruising of the skin, glaucoma, cataracts, peptic ulceration, worsening of diabetes, irregular menses, growth retardation in children, convulsions, and psychic disturbances. Psychic disturbances can include depression, euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, personality changes, and even psychotic behavior.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm don't know much about Prednisolone, but it's best to stay away from all drugs if at all possible.

S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
Rob, have you tried massage?

you know, it's been maybe 32 days since it happened.  it was too sensitive at first.  after 2 weeks it was good enough to use again.  Went to gym and had a horrible time.  

Took 2 more weeks off.  Started back a few days ago.  Still strong, moved the 50s in military press with no problem.

Sore now.  I dont know whether I should be lifting or not.  Doc says don't lift at all, but i was living miserable, and noticing a million other aches and pains.  I'm happy as a pig in crap to be back... back it hurts again.

Tonight I got a massage for the first time.  It was awesome for about 30 minutes, then the pain creeped back.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
I'm don't know much about Prednisolone, but it's best to stay away from all drugs if at all possible.

i've only allowed myself to take 2-3 of the 200 mg advil each day.  I'm using getbig to give me really good reasons NOT to take the predisolone.  I hate most medicines and would hate to be addicted so some like many in the fmaily are.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
Are you offering?  I think he would prefer a happy ending from you.  ;D
er..no!!

Shoulder tendonitis
What is shoulder tendonitis?

Shoulder tendonitis is the inflammation, irritation and swelling of the tendons in the rotator cuff and bicep. Shoulder tendonitis is usually caused by the pinching of the nerve in the shoulder or from repetitive strain (RS) on the shoulder joint.

This particular type of tendonitis is common amongst sports and activities that require the hand to be moved above the head. These activities include weight llifting and bodybuilding, swimming, rock climbing, swimming and baseball.

Shoulder tendonitis often starts as just a slight pain in the shoulder or upper bicep but can develop into a pain that will encompass the entire shoulder/upper arm area. It's a condition that can be easily treated but in serious cases may become permanent.

Locations of shoulder tendonitis

There are two areas of the shoulder where tendonitis may develop. The rotator cuff andwhere the bicep tendon meets the shoulder. You can see these areas marked with an "X" in the shoulder anatomy diagram above.

Shoulder tendonitis symptoms

Early signs of shoulder tendonitis include a slight pain in the shoulder/upper bicep area when you move your arm up and down. This pain may only occur when the shoulder is under pressure but may still occur at anytime of the day or night.

As the tendonits develops the pain will get more severe and spread from the area where the shoulder meets the arm to all over the rotator cuff. The shoulder will often feel tender and in more severe cases some swelling may be experienced. It's always best to consult your GP to correctly diagnose shoulder tendonitis.

How is shoulder tendonitis diagnosed?

If you think you may have shoulder tendonitis you should stop doing any activities that may stress the shoulder and see your local doctor. Your doctor will ask you for your complete medical history and give you a full body physical examination. If required x-rays may be taken of the affected area. None of these procedures are painful in any way.

A few ways you can help prevent shoulder tendonitis

There are a few ways you can help prevent shoulder tendonitis occuring. First, you need to warm up and stretch the shoulder area before any sport or activity that is going to place strain on your shoulder tendons. Warm ups should be about 5-10 minutes in length. Second, you can be proactive by strengthening the tendons and shoulder muscles before tendonitis develops. This can be done with lingt shoulder exercises performed every few days. For more techniques on how to prevent tendonitis see our tendonitis prevention page.

Treatment for shoulder tendonitis

The treatment that you may recieve for shoulder tendonitis will depend on a variety of factors. These may include:

Your age and physical condition
How advanced the tendonitis is
Your tolerance to medications
How well you need it to heal (for professional sports people)
Your treatment preference
Depending on the conditions mentioned above, some of the following treatment methods may be used. Now, these are in order from light tendonitis to very severe tendonitis.

Rest of the affected shoulder
Over the counter anti-inflammatory medications
Ice and light massage
Shoulder strength training (with very light weights)
Ultrasound therapy
Steriod injections (used rarely)
Shoulder surgery
Your doctor may decide to use one or more of these treatments depending on the factors mentioned above. In most cases shoulder tendonitis can be effectively diagnosed and treated without the need for medication or surgery.

The key to treating your shoulder tendonitis is rest. As soon as you feel tendonitis symptoms you should stop the activity and rest your shoulder for at least three weeks. You can find more information on out tendonitis treatment
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
I hate most medicines and would hate to be addicted so some like many in the fmaily are.

same  :-\
S

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
you know, it's been maybe 32 days since it happened.  it was too sensitive at first.  after 2 weeks it was good enough to use again.  Went to gym and had a horrible time.  

Took 2 more weeks off.  Started back a few days ago.  Still strong, moved the 50s in military press with no problem.

Sore now.  I dont know whether I should be lifting or not.  Doc says don't lift at all, but i was living miserable, and noticing a million other aches and pains.  I'm happy as a pig in crap to be back... back it hurts again.

Tonight I got a massage for the first time.  It was awesome for about 30 minutes, then the pain creeped back.  

Do you remember injuring your shoulder? 

Pain to infection or no?
R

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:53 PM »
I advocate and encourage the use of, cocaine, heroin, meth, Anadrol, Dianabol, Cypianate, Sustanon 250, Stenox, LSD, PCP, GHB, MDMA, grass, Oxycontin, Vicodin, Valium, Anavar, Deca Durabolin, Hash, Teena, crack cocaine, Nitrous Oxide, and cough syrup by-the-bottle, but NEVER use Prednisolone. Never.
a

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
Do you remember injuring your shoulder? 

Pain to infection or no?

I did front squats and let the bar sit on that delt.  Hurt like crazy.
3 days later, i felt a POP in the delt during seated military presses.
dropped the weight, and it hurt more and more over the next 3 days.

I went to doc.  Said to rest it.  I did rest it for 2 weeks, and it was juuuuust about back to normal.  All the while, i'm worrying nonstop about it.

So yeah, I overdid it when I came back.
Monday was 90 minutes of shoulder exercises, overjoyed that I was still strong at it.
Tuesday was leg day (complete with that hack machine that leaves big grooves in shoulder) followed by 4 hours flexed shoulder playing bass at night show.

Wed was a whole lotta soreness.  I'm gonna listen now and just not lift chest, back, or shoulders for a few weeks.  Abs, legs, and maybe biceps only?

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
Rob go to vitamin world or shop and buy yourself a big bottle of omega 3's 1000 mg's per capsule. Take 3 per serving, 3-4 times a day with meals and give it a month before you make a decision if it works or not.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
"Prescription for Nutritional Healing" suggests Calceum and Magniseium, Free-Form Amine Acid Complex, Multienzyme complex with pancreatin, Proteolytic enzymes, Vitamin A, Natural Beta-Carotene, selenium and Vitamin E.
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
Rob go to vitamin world or shop and buy yourself a big bottle of omega 3's 1000 mg's per capsule. Take 3 per serving, 3-4 times a day with meals and give it a month before you make a decision if it works or not.

i try to take 1 or 2 each day for heart health.  Are they really that useful for swelling reduction, pain?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »
My man, do not use that drug. You will regret it. I am supremely qualified to make that statement.
a

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

I went to doc.  Said to rest it.  I did rest it for 2 weeks, and it was juuuuust about back to normal.  All the while, i'm worrying nonstop about it.

Monday was 90 minutes of shoulder exercises, overjoyed that I was still strong at it.
Tuesday was leg day (complete with that hack machine that leaves big grooves in shoulder) followed by 4 hours flexed shoulder playing bass at night show.

Wed was a whole lotta soreness.  I'm gonna listen now and just not lift chest, back, or shoulders for a few weeks.  Abs, legs, and maybe biceps only?

Bi's are tied closely to shoulders. I would only do preachers for bi's, luckily there are at least 10 different preacher variations I can think of off the top of my head, which should still offer alot of variety for you while protecting the injured area.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
i try to take 1 or 2 each day for heart health.  Are they really that useful for swelling reduction, pain?

they work great as an anti-inflammatory.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
"Prescription for Nutritional Healing" suggests Calceum and Magniseium, Free-Form Amine Acid Complex, Multienzyme complex with pancreatin, Proteolytic enzymes, Vitamin A, Natural Beta-Carotene, selenium and Vitamin E.

i just went thru my supps.  I try to take a few of each, every week but never that disciplined.

I'm looking at Glucosamine Chondrotin MSM (what elderly take for joints)
fish oil
Calcium/mag/zinc
BCAA cpsule
Vit C, E, multi

I'm thinking of just loading up for a few days, letting that shoulder rest 100%, and praying :)  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
My man, do not use that drug. You will regret it. I am supremely qualified to make that statement.

I respect your experience in the matter.  I'm looking at the bottle of them and you have me scared shitless of them!

they work great as an anti-inflammatory.

I had no clue.  I knew heart health.  I googled it, you are 100% correct.  I'm loading up baby.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=fish+oil+anti-inflammatory&fp=1

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »

You might even need to be careful w/biceps.  Not sure.

Did you ice it?

90 min. of shoulders is overdoing it anytime imo!  Maybe you took some good rests between sets  :)

Do you think it would help to use a pad or towel under the bar for front squats in the future (also under the shoulder pads on the hack machine)?
R

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
I've felt invincible forever in the weight room.  i'm so cautious about everything now.  Timid almost.  I didn't even think about the hack machine pad, I know that one now.  I'll never do front squats again.   Ice made it hurt bad.  Cold makes it hurt back.  Hot water feels amazing on it.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
Off topic, but your thread title reminds me of one of those 1950's Government projector movies.  ;D
S

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »
I respect your experience in the matter.  I'm looking at the bottle of them and you have me scared shitless of them!

I had no clue.  I knew heart health.  I googled it, you are 100% correct.  I'm loading up baby.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=fish+oil+anti-inflammatory&fp=1

Stick with omega 3 only dont get the capsules that contain omega 3 and 6 or 3, 6 and 9. If the ratio of 3 to 6 is too high it can actually lead to inflammation. We tend to need more 3 then we get.