Author Topic: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?  (Read 7062 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: Prednisolone & The Getbigger
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

Max your speaking of injectiions correct?  An orthopedic dr can do it as well.

No it is a form of deep tissue therapy. Active release does NOT employ drugs or injections. I've been doing it for 3 months and have overcome rotator cuff ad brachial is injuries that lingered for years as well I had developed  planter facitus from running sprints last summer.

My injuries had gotten to the point where I could no longer do barbell or dumbbell, flat, incline, seated or standing presses. I was only able to do machine movements on presses. I also could not do dumbbell curls. When I did get through a training session I'd hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. Now I can do all those movements without any pain.

Many factors determine how many sessions you need over how long a time period. It depends on how severe the injury is, how "deep" you are able to handle the therapy and how long you have had the injury. I literally laugh through the pain (it's a forced laugh but laughing it's a pain control technique that I learned long ago) so my ART therapist says he's able to get deeper with me than most patients. We just talked about me toning down to a maintenance program now.   
and keep moving!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
I had developed  planter facitus from running sprints last summer.

Max, if that comes back, or as a preventative measure, you may want to consider getting some Birkenstock inserts.  Have the people at the shoe store tell you what size and arch you need.

My husband, my training partner and I all had PF and those inserts cured us all.
R

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2009, 06:32:16 AM »
Max, if that comes back, or as a preventative measure, you may want to consider getting some Birkenstock inserts.  Have the people at the shoe store tell you what size and arch you need.

My husband, my training partner and I all had PF and those inserts cured us all.

ART would be great or a soft tissue tech called "graston" would also benefit you well

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
ART would be great or a soft tissue tech called "graston" would also benefit you well

ART has helped the PF for me as well as the shoulder problems.

Thanks Stella... Right now I'm using Superfeet Inserts... I'll look into the Berks.
and keep moving!

The Coach

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »
im gonna see if i can get this stuff prescribed by my doctor....ive got awesome medical insurance from my parents... i bet id get this stuff with a $10 co-pay...

The Coach

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
im gonna see if i can get this stuff prescribed by my doctor....ive got awesome medical insurance from my parents... i bet id get this stuff with a $10 co-pay...

We bill insurance through physical therapy.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »
Tapeworm, how did this work out for you?

"I'm feeling much better now."  :D

I do YTWLs and int/ext rotations on shoulder day, and scap retractions and 'face pulls' (scap retractions with low weight, cable, with hands held at face level thumbs down, elbows bent and pointing out) on back day & bi day, and zottmans every other back & bi day. 

Also do a stretch 5-6 days a week (every workout) that a local trainer showed me where you lie down on your (left) side taking care not to be leaning forward or back and have your (left) arm pointing away from you with your (left) hand pointing toward the ceiling, then place your (right) hand on the back of your left and press your left palm toward the floor.  The guy who showed it to me said I had the worst flexibility he had ever seen, ever, and I should be doing it 2x a day (both arms, of course).  I vary the angle of the upper arm a little too, so I do 2x 30 seconds with it at 90 degrees, 2x 30 seconds with it a little closer to the head, and 2x 30 seconds pointing a little down.

I confess I don't do it 2x a day, but I do it every workout.  Also confess I don't do the kneeling YTWs you recommended, or the altitude drops, and I didn't get bands like I promised.  :-[  I'm diligent about doing the prehab that I do tho, and I've been thinking about introducing a stretching & mobility session in the mornings along with cardio, so I could get those forsaken exercises in then, even if only one a day.  (I'm also going to look into yoga tho, so I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing with my mornings.) 

Also, I have accepted that I simply can't rush my workouts and taking the necessary time to warm up the joints is part of the process, so I do 3 or 4 warmup sets before I get into a working weight.  Been lifting pretty light since Christmas, but I'm starting to feel more confident about working in a power zone and I'm easing back into a 5x5.  I really want to get back to judo too, but I want to see how I fare under heavier weight for at least a little while.  I'll never consider myself 'cured' since I've had shoulder problems even since I was swimming as a teen, but things are feeling way better than they were and I don't have harsh pain or the fear of immanent serious injury like I did back before Christmas.

Thanks for all your advice Coach, I really appreciate it man.  You're one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on here and if you make it out to Aus I'd really like to meet you and hit the links!  I'm going back to the States in late June/early July, so hopefully I won't miss you bro.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
1-2 weeks ok
long term usage, you will go psycho
and not know it, get moon face and acne, the kind you
cant get rid of.

Get a kenalog injection at the site, Much Much
better on your system, and more effective.
Tell me about it.  I was on it for a year, and high dosages too!  I got the moon face, hell I got the moon body ROFLMAO!  I also got the acne.  Mostly on my shoulders and they scarred big time!  It's very depressing.  My doctor prescribed Dyoxacycline (spelling?) for it and after I was on that for about a month it stopped...but it did a lot of damage prior.  And being on the Dyoxacyline had it's own set of problems too.  I couldn't go out in the sun at all.  If I was outside I had to be under an umbrella or my skin would burn (as in 3rd degree, hospitalization).   I really didn't have a lot of "rage" while on the prednisone.  Once in a while I was short tempered, but it really wasnt much of anything.  I guess it's because I'm very easy going and not much bothers me.
:D Weee

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »
are you the same laura lee that was a british pro?......... u were in the 1st mag i ever bought, was called bodypower or somthing like that, a british mag, had kevin levrone winning the night of the champions..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
FYI - 20 hours after active release therapy and the shoulder feels INCREDIBLE.

This is without any medicine too.  I'd been taking 2 or 3 aleve each day for pain mgmt. 

No clue if it'll last long-term, but i'm happy so far!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
are you the same laura lee that was a british pro?......... u were in the 1st mag i ever bought, was called bodypower or somthing like that, a british mag, had kevin levrone winning the night of the champions..
Lol, no.  Not me.  :)
:D Weee