Author Topic: Jindal may have fudged the facts in his Katrina boat story  (Read 2516 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Jindal may have fudged the facts in his Katrina boat story
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
Hilary II?

Louisiana Governor "Bobby" Jindal's retort to President Obama's first major address to Congress was not exactly well-received.

One Fox News panelist went so far as to call his oration "amateurish," "simplistic" and even "childish." Also, on Thursday, a report by Talking Points Memo strongly suggests Jindal's critics should add dishonest to the litany of complaints.

"During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine," said Jindal during his Tuesday night speech. "When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters.

"The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people."

The problem with Jindal's recounting is that it may not have even happened. However, the one man who could have set the record straight -- Democrat Harry Lee, "one of the most famous politicians in Louisiana history," according to the Times-Picayune -- passed away in late 2007.

"According to numerous reports, Harry Lee did not leave the affected area of New Orleans during the crisis," wrote TPM's Zachary Roth. "But there is no reported evidence of Jindal having set foot in the area during the period when people were still stranded on roofs -- which, based on a review of news stories from the time, was only until September 3 at the very latest. Indeed, the evidence strongly suggests he did not."

"We've reviewed [Lexis] Nexis and other sources, and can find no news reports putting Jindal on the ground in the affected area during the few days after Katrina struck when people might still have needed boats to rescue them from rooftops," he added.

Speaking with CNN's Larry King on Sept. 11, 2005, Lee, the sheriff Jindal spoke of, said he didn't learn of the required insurance forms until a week after the boats were needed.  *BUSTED*

Saying, "rules and regulations is what got things all screwed up around here," the sheriff inadvertently shot down the future governor's claim.

"Those boats where not allowed to get into the water when they were needed and I just found out about seven days later one of the reason boats couldn't get in was they didn't have enough life preservers and some of them didn't have proof of insurance," said Lee. "And I'm sure that there's a FEMA regulation that says that. But when a storm of this magnitude hits, you through those regulations out the window and you do what you have to do and start saving lives."

A request for comment to Gov. Jindal's office was not returned as of press time.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: Jindal may have fudged the facts in his Katrina boat story
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »
lets see how much air time this one gets from the lib media

:D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
Ah, the youtube generation.

if he lied, and the deceased sheriff discredited his story on CNN, there is no getting outta this.  A 36-year old Indian-looking Indian-American with no foreign policy needs to be PERFECT - above all, credible.

If this little goofball is making up drama stories from Katrina - his only claim to fame - it won't be good for his career.  My money says the 32-year old congressman was in his office with canned goods, generator, and glued to CNN the entire time.  Traveling to the area while ppl were still floating and hiding on roofs - awesome bold move, if he really did it.   It won't take long - if this story is true - for staffers and media to quickly point out if this trip was a lie.

And if the dude lied about the entire trip... haha oh brother... he wants to legislate religion and can't tell the truth?  oh snap...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
Actually, this one should be easy to figure out.  If Jindal was there, then no doubt there are pictures and/or video of the event.  A congressman braving an area rife with floating bodies, oil in water, and an area so hostile even Bush wouldn't land there... and all the while, this 32-year old stud is just out there, knee-deep in the bodies and oil, giving orders and taking stands against govt bs...

it's an amazing story, and Governor Piyush deserves a great deal of props if it's true.  I hope he can deliver a slew of pics and video to prove the trip was real.  It's a great story of bravery.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 05:50:18 AM »
Actually, this one should be easy to figure out.  If Jindal was there, then no doubt there are pictures and/or video of the event.  A congressman braving an area rife with floating bodies, oil in water, and an area so hostile even Bush wouldn't land there... and all the while, this 32-year old stud is just out there, knee-deep in the bodies and oil, giving orders and taking stands against govt bs...

it's an amazing story, and Governor Piyush deserves a great deal of props if it's true.  I hope he can deliver a slew of pics and video to prove the trip was real.  It's a great story of bravery.

I will take you seriously the moment you start exposing O's lies that are told almost by the hour.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
I will take you seriously the moment you start exposing O's lies that are told almost by the hour.
dont worry 240 is a life long conservative, right 240?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:46 AM »
dont worry 240 is a life long conservative, right 240?

yep.  and when these nation-buliding, wealthy-pampering, NK-negotiating, holy-war starting, Exxon-blowing, immature goofs finally step aside and let Ron Paul/Clint Eastwood run the country, I'll be a happy guy.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
Jindal is PATHETIC.
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
yep.  and when these nation-buliding, wealthy-pampering, NK-negotiating, holy-war starting, Exxon-blowing, immature goofs finally step aside and let Ron Paul/Clint Eastwood run the country, I'll be a happy guy.

Let me get this straight.....u would have gone to war with NK...over the possibility of nukes, while conducting major combat operations in two countries. U would prefer to launch some attack or whatever, instead of keeping them isolated. We can't do everything and that includeds the MASSIVE refugee problem that any attack on the North would involve. We sent them oil based on a program that Clinton started. Please stick to website design.

A true conservative would never, ever back Obama on anything unless he decided to quit.
L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Bobby Jindal ADMITS to lying in Republican Response. HAHAHA
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: Bobby Jindal ADMITS to lying in Republican Response. HAHAHA
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
why am i not surprised this was leaked on a friday.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
My God! Politicians lying! Who would have known?  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »
Where is the admission of lying?  Is there anyone other than some doofus in his garage with a video camera who reported that Jindal admitted lying?  And Olbermann doesn't count.  He's a doofus with a national audience.   :)  Neither does the Daily Kos (this guy cites both Olbermann and the Daily Kos). 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »
TA posted a link from the same fuking retard hugo posted to prove the one guy was a racist when he didnt say anything remotely racist. The man in the video did though TA keep searching bro you and 240 can start a club for th anti jindal movement you guys are fuking pathetic.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »

u would have gone to war with NK

They fired ICBMs at hawaii on July 4th as the space shuttle took off. 

So yeah, I think we should carpet bomb the motherloving ish out of any country that fires missiles at us.

Maybe you prefer the appeasement route, and I respect your position on that.  Personally, if you fire rockets at USA, you should get bombed, but that's only one man's opinion.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »
Jindal aide 'clarifies' Katrina tale

Politico's Ben Smith spoke to an aide for Governor Jindal who "clarifies" his Katrina anecdote, but it may not be enough for some liberal critics.

"A spokeswoman for Bobby Jindal says the Louisiana governor didn't intend to imply that an anecdote about battling bureaucrats during Katrina directly involved the governor or took place during the heat of a fight to release rescue boats," Smith writes. "The spokeswoman, Melissa Sellers, said the story Jindal told in his response to Obama actually took place some days later in Lee's office -- though still in Katrina's chaotic aftermath -- as Lee was 'recounting' his frustrations with the bureaucracy to someone else on the telephone."

Jindal chief of staff Timmy Teepell also told Smith that the "the exchange took place in the week following Katrina, when Jindal visited Jefferson Parish multiple times."

HOWEVER....
Jindal implied that his support for the sheriff helped ensure the rescue went ahead. But it turns out Jindal wasn't there at the key moment, and played no role in making the rescue happen.

Lied.  Caught.  End of story.  Hi, hilary II.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 12:17:16 AM »
They fired ICBMs at hawaii on July 4th as the space shuttle took off. 

They did?  I must have been in my hammock that day.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:37:46 AM »
They did?  I must have been in my hammock that day.

they splashed into the water, guidance systems failed.

this was the same week NK said somethign about blowing up cali.  Then they set off a nuke underground 8 weeks later.

seriously, i don't understand ppl here (not saying you, but others) who don't think we shouldn't kick the crap outta nations that fire missiles at us.    it's an act of war, isn't it?  we invade iraq because they MIGHT one day have nukes and missiles... yet we BUY OFF the nation who is setting off nukes and firing missiles at us.   Where's the logic