Author Topic: Gates: Obama deferred to military on Iraq timetable  (Read 848 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Gates: Obama deferred to military on Iraq timetable
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »
Good call Obama.

Also interesting...
Obama calls Bush before announcing withdrawal plan

(Update: Obama made mysterious call to former President Bush prior to speech)

President Barack Obama officially announced his plan to withdraw troops from Iraq during a speech to military troops and officers at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina Friday afternoon.

While he has apparently garnered wide Republican support for the plan, not all Democrats appear to be on board.

Obama says he'll withdraw America's combat brigades from Iraq over the next 18 months but that his administration would "proceed cautiously" on the withdrawal and that U.S. commanders will bring it about in close consultation with the Iraqi government.

"During his campaign for the presidency, Obama had advocated pulling troops out within 16 months of taking office," the AP notes. "The timeline he announced Friday, involving roughly 100,000 troops, was two months longer. It still hastens the U.S. exit, nevertheless."

The AP adds, "Obama also said that between 35,000 and 50,000 troops will initially remain there to help train Iraqi forces and undertake counter-terrorism missions."

"As a candidate for President, I made clear my support for a timeline of 16 months to carry out this drawdown, while pledging to consult closely with our military commanders upon taking office to ensure that we preserve the gains we’ve made and protect our troops," Obama said. "Those consultations are now complete, and I have chosen a timeline that will remove our combat brigades over the next 18 months."

Obama added, "Let me say this as plainly as I can: by August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Gates: Obama deferred to military on Iraq timetable
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:01:16 AM »
So he ordered the military to come up with a plan to withdraw in 18 months, but he deferred to the military?  Right. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »
So he ordered the military to come up with a plan to withdraw in 18 months, but he deferred to the military?  Right. 

Maybe it was something like:
"I want us out in 18 months so this shit isn't an issue in 2010 elections. 
You figure out the details."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:04:53 AM »
Maybe it was something like:
"I want us out in 18 months so this shit isn't an issue in 2010 elections. 
You figure out the details."

That's exactly what it was.  That isn't deferring to the military. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
That's exactly what it was.  That isn't deferring to the military. 

he's keeping 50k men in there in a non-combat role, when Pelosi and friends wanted 30% of that.  mccain's happy.

I am guessing the military sides with mccain and not pelosi.

Therefore that aspect of it could be the military's win.  Keep 50k men in there so if we see something we don't like, we can wreck their day without moving new troops in.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:36 AM »
Obama is a fucking school boy idiot.  Has no graps on reality.  As soon as the troops leave Iraq the violence will flare up and he'll look like a fool. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:34:17 AM »
Obama is a fucking school boy idiot.  Has no graps on reality.  As soon as the troops leave Iraq the violence will flare up and he'll look like a fool. 

we'll have 50,000 men on bases, training nonstop, ready to swoop in and kick some ass if violence does flare up.

that's a lot of bored guys with rifles.  the first trouble, we'll pinkmist them and remind them who really runs the place.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 01:02:34 AM »
we'll have 50,000 men on bases, training nonstop, ready to swoop in and kick some ass if violence does flare up.

that's a lot of bored guys with rifles.  the first trouble, we'll pinkmist them and remind them who really runs the place.

::) Meanwhile our country is collapsing and you're going to be taxed out of your ass to support those "bored guys with rifles". 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
Better then 150,000 bored guys...anyway the rest are being sent to Afghanistan. I'm headed back next year...can't wait. AQI is done...they're headed to FATA in pakistan...Iraq is over.
L