Author Topic: Arnold showing how it's done!!  (Read 8496 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: Arnold showing how it's done!!
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
remember when Roland Kickenger broke onto the scene? they called him the second coming of Arnold.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
He even used Arnold's Exodus theme...

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »
nycbull has some good points.

and despite the bs that you can get anywhere in life if you just 'work hard' enough ( ::)), the fact is is that what seperates those in the highest places from the hordes of others who have the same exact qualities and potential is that they indeed DID get alot of breaks and luck along the way, being in the right place at the right time.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »

and despite the bs that you can get anywhere in life if you just 'work hard' enough ( ::)), the fact is is that what seperates those in the highest places from the hordes of others who have the same exact qualities and potential is that they indeed DID get alot of breaks and luck along the way, being in the right place at the right time.

Arnold stated in the 80's   "luck can get you to the top but it won't keep you there."

body88

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »

I don't agree.  What separates those who have potential and skill from the people with the same skills in the highest places, is the fact that the people in the highest places maximize their opportunities, while others tell themselves "they can't do it" or "it's to risky".  Most of the time people like that are just to lazy to go above and beyond.  Sure some people are born into great situations, but the successful ones strive to follow their dreams.  I know many a trust fund baby that are total failure at life.  maybe they are rich due to luck, but from a performance standpoint and from a career standpoint they are garbage.  Who wants to be thought of like that?

My brother is a perfect example of this.  The guy is an extremely talented artist.  His work is awesome.  Instead of maximizing his potential, and soaring with his strengths, he chooses to work his 9-5 because art is "to risky" and he has "other things to do".  Why not pursue his art career in his spare times on the weekends - instead of sitting around pulling his pud?  Thats what separates the winners from the people with the same talent and skill.....they have the drive and the will to soar with the strengths.

To claim Arnold is what he is due to his breaks and d-bol is laughable.  Look at pro bb's today.  The most successful of them couldn't hold a candle to Arnold's money or power.  Imagine doing what Arnold did 30 years ago when no one even knew what bb was, nevermind coming over from a foreign country with a little money from some schmoe. 

If what Arnold did was so easy, why has no one in the BB industry even done 1/10th of what he has?  Knowing how to maximize your opportunity and how to befriend the correct people to get ahead is a skill.  Do you know how many people I am friends with that I hate?  From a growth standpoint, it's important to know who to invest time with and who to steer clear off.  Then when that person gives you your shot, you drop the hammer on whatever you do best and you kick ass.  Thats how you win.  Skill, smarts, relationships, vision, drive and the ability to take risks.  The average worker is perfectly happy putting in 40% effort to get buy and being lazy as fuck.

I know plenty of winners who are not rich nor famous....but they are very happy, they do what they love well and they have successful relationships with other people.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »
My brother is a perfect example of this.  The guy is an extremely talented artist.  His work is awesome.  Instead of maximizing his potential, and soaring with his strengths, he chooses to work his 9-5 because art is "to risky" and he has "other things to do".  Why not pursue his art career in his spare times on the weekends - instead of sitting around pulling his pud?  Thats what separates the winners from the people with the same talent and skill.....they have the drive and the will to soar with the strengths.

your not quite getting my point; for example, there are many artists as talented as your brother who DO HAVE the drive and all th necesary traits to be successful but still are not, simply because they are not in the right place at the right time.

this is why many of those considered the great masters today were completely unrecognised during their life but now are appreciated, while others today simply splash paint on a canvas, or paint the whole thing solid red-things ANYONE can do- and make millions.

another great example to use is famous musicians. for every great rock guitarist/band you know of, there were literally thousands of others who had the same skill, drive, talent, motivation etc. (today youtube allows us to see proof of this) who were vastly talented, worked as hard as possible, but never got 'a big break'.

certainly one must have the necessary traits to get to the top, but i believe there are many other factors -namely luck(being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people, etc)-that are vastly underacknowledged(understandably so) that are responsible for one such individual attaining a high status in place of the many who had equal traits.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
lets talk bout this "brick company" arnold had??? was that real or lies? any evidence at all

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »
there are pictures somewhere of Arnold and Franco at work as bricklayers.
Some info about Arnolds business ventures:
Business career

Schwarzenegger has also had a highly successful business career. Following his move to the United States, Schwarzenegger became a "prolific goal setter" and would write his objectives at the start of the year on index cards, like starting a mail order business or buying a new car – and succeed in doing so. By the age of 30, Schwarzenegger was a millionaire, well before his career in Hollywood. His financial independence came from a series of successful business ventures and investments. In 1968, Schwarzenegger and fellow bodybuilder Franco Columbu started a bricklaying business. The business flourished thanks to the pair's marketing savvy and an increased demand following a major Los Angeles earthquake in 1971. Schwarzenegger and Columbu used profits from their bricklaying venture to start a mail order business, selling bodybuilding and fitness-related equipment and instructional tapes. Schwarzenegger rolled profits from the mail order business and his bodybuilding competition winnings into his first real estate venture: an apartment building he purchased for $10,000. He would go on to invest in a number of real estate holding companies. In 1992, Schwarzenegger and his wife opened a restaurant in Santa Monica called Schatzi On Main. Schatzi literally means "little treasure," colloquial for "honey" or "darling" in German. In 1998, he sold his restaurant. He invested in a shopping mall in Columbus, Ohio. He has talked about some of those who have helped him over the years in business: "I couldn't have learned about business without a parade of teachers guiding me... from Milton Friedman to Donald Trump... and now, Les Wexner and Warren Buffett. I even learned a thing or two from Planet Hollywood, such as when to get out! And I did!" He has significant ownership in Dimensional Fund Advisors, an investment firm.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
there are pictures somewhere of Arnold and Franco at work as bricklayers.
Some info about Arnolds business ventures:
Business career

Schwarzenegger has also had a highly successful business career. Following his move to the United States, Schwarzenegger became a "prolific goal setter" and would write his objectives at the start of the year on index cards, like starting a mail order business or buying a new car – and succeed in doing so. By the age of 30, Schwarzenegger was a millionaire, well before his career in Hollywood. His financial independence came from a series of successful business ventures and investments. In 1968, Schwarzenegger and fellow bodybuilder Franco Columbu started a bricklaying business. The business flourished thanks to the pair's marketing savvy and an increased demand following a major Los Angeles earthquake in 1971. Schwarzenegger and Columbu used profits from their bricklaying venture to start a mail order business, selling bodybuilding and fitness-related equipment and instructional tapes. Schwarzenegger rolled profits from the mail order business and his bodybuilding competition winnings into his first real estate venture: an apartment building he purchased for $10,000. He would go on to invest in a number of real estate holding companies. In 1992, Schwarzenegger and his wife opened a restaurant in Santa Monica called Schatzi On Main. Schatzi literally means "little treasure," colloquial for "honey" or "darling" in German. In 1998, he sold his restaurant. He invested in a shopping mall in Columbus, Ohio. He has talked about some of those who have helped him over the years in business: "I couldn't have learned about business without a parade of teachers guiding me... from Milton Friedman to Donald Trump... and now, Les Wexner and Warren Buffett. I even learned a thing or two from Planet Hollywood, such as when to get out! And I did!" He has significant ownership in Dimensional Fund Advisors, an investment firm.

fro some reason i dont beleive in the brick company, has he ever mentioned it??

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
Arnold never took pink pills. His were the original "Robin's Egg Blue" 5 mg Dianabol, made by Ciba-Giegy.

They were very pretty.
a

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
fro some reason i dont beleive in the brick company, has he ever mentioned it??

i've got a mid nineties muscle and fitness that talked about it. it shows pics of Arnold and franco working.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
Let's not forget that Wieder brought Arnold over here, and basically he worked out, tanned and competed. Because he didn't have to work for a living like Sergio, Arnold had time to focus on other ventures. He knew, or had the foresight to know that he couldn't do bodybuilding forever. Whereas, Sergio again, kept competing and didn't maximize his potential. hell, the man was called "The Myth"

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 04:30:02 AM »
Let's not forget that Wieder brought Arnold over here, and basically he worked out, tanned and competed. Because he didn't have to work for a living like Sergio, Arnold had time to focus on other ventures. He knew, or had the foresight to know that he couldn't do bodybuilding forever. Whereas, Sergio again, kept competing and didn't maximize his potential. hell, the man was called "The Myth"

Are you fuckin' kidding me?!

1972!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »

in the seventies Arnold called the Amerecans - Zane, Waller etc. paper champions, because they would workout and go to the beach. Arnold said he worked, invested and studied for school, while they did nothing but bodybuild.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
in the seventies Arnold called the Amerecans - Zane, Waller etc. paper champions

Muscle Builder/Power October 1970.  ;D

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
Yes its in every version I've seen even the anniversary version.
Most are all show no go!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
Muscle Builder/Power October 1970.  ;D

good call Pollux, i thought it was paper tigers, but wasn't sure.  i think he got along great with the American guys until Franco showed up and then dissed them.

gooer

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »
arnold started a bricklaying business with franco to repair peoples houses after a bad hurricane or storm i can't remember and they ended up getting so much business because there were no businesses in the area with a bricklaying speciality and many houses were damaged. in addition to this they charged high prices to wealthy people for work that was relatively cheap and not all that time consuming. this is why it was very profitable and they had more orders than they could fill.

i read it in a biography about him.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
arnold started a bricklaying business with franco

I've always questioned this so-called bricklaying business.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
arnold started a bricklaying business with franco to repair peoples houses after a bad hurricane or storm i can't remember and they ended up getting so much business because there were no businesses in the area with a bricklaying speciality and many houses were damaged. in addition to this they charged high prices to wealthy people for work that was relatively cheap and not all that time consuming. this is why it was very profitable and they had more orders than they could fill.

i read it in a biography about him.

he said they did all the quotes in metric and no one understood, so they got away charging more. and he would run off to the bank and cash the check while Franco started the job so that "no one could pull a trick on us".

he also talked about an inspector asking if they had a permit. they asked what that was. a job number he replied. Arnold said "sure we got lotsa numbers!!"  they didn't know what the inspector was talking about.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 12:21:22 AM »
2 words made arnold,joe weider
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
I've always questioned this so-called bricklaying business.

No doubt.  It's hard to believe regulations would have been so much more lax in his day that anyone could just walk in and do the job without any sort of trade certificate, building license or registration, permits, insurances, union ties, etc.  At least some of today's legislation would have been in place in Arnold's day.  Also, bricklayers might not be the brightest bulbs on the whole but it is still a trade which requires a four year apprenticeship.  An inexperienced hand would botch the job for sure, especially on something as involved as rectification/renovation. 

Maybe it was a front for something else.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 04:24:39 AM »
No doubt.  It's hard to believe regulations would have been so much more lax in his day that anyone could just walk in and do the job without any sort of trade certificate, building license or registration, permits, insurances, union ties, etc.  At least some of today's legislation would have been in place in Arnold's day.  Also, bricklayers might not be the brightest bulbs on the whole but it is still a trade which requires a four year apprenticeship.  An inexperienced hand would botch the job for sure, especially on something as involved as rectification/renovation. 

Maybe it was a front for something else.

Not so much that, but I have been an Arnold fan for many years and have seen countless pictures of Arnold and have NEVER seen not one candid picture of he and Franco actually doing bricklaying work/business.

As much as Arnold was photographed by Art Zeller, Albert Busek, and the likes you would think at least one picture would've surfaced. Hell, even in Barbara Outland's memoir book Arnold and Me she never mentions Arnold doing any such work with Franco.

I tend to believe this so-called bricklaying work they did is one of those folk stories that just got passed along and Arnold just runs with it.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »
he were talking about it in a 1984 issue of Muscle and Fitness, April.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
he were talking about it in a 1984 issue of Muscle and Fitness, April.
sounds like more arnold lies