Author Topic: WHAT PERCENTAGE OF IFBB PRO'S HAVE COMPLETED HIGH SCHOOL AND HAVE A COLLEGE/UNIV  (Read 1939 times)

the_swami

• Getbig IV
ERSITY DEGREE?

ANYONE hazard a guestimate?

maybe 2%?

Nasser and Ronnie come to mind, any others?

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
what does it matter in regards to their chosen profession? people make me laugh these days with their basic run of the mill bachelors in Business or journalism which is as prevelant today as a high school diploma was 20 years ago, what do you offer a company besides a dgree which shows nothing except that you were in school not working for 4 years? how will you increase a company's profits which is what the bottom line is, degree or not.

body88

what does it matter in regards to their chosen profession? people make me laugh these days with their basic run of the mill bachelors in Business or journalism which is as prevelant today as a high school diploma was 20 years ago, what do you offer a company besides a dgree which shows nothing except that you were in school not working for 4 years? how will you increase a company's profits which is what the bottom line is, degree or not.

Anyone who knows a thing or two about the real world has a internship to go with the degree that they just earned. 

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Anyone who knows a thing or two about the real world has a internship to go with the degree that they just earned. 
which is absolutely worthless as well, you can't walk into any major corporation these days with anything less than a Masters and expect to land anything serious, i actually heard a clown on a sports talk radio show talking about when he started in the business and taking a job in "sports" and he didn't know the job was a door to door salesman position, he then arrogantly said, "uh no, see i have something called a Bachelors degree, i'm above this type of stuff. ::) i don't give a shit if you have a degree or not, if i own a business my only concern is HOW WILL THIS PERSON BRING MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ TO THIS COMPANY, plain and simple.

body88

which is absolutely worthless as well, you can't walk into any major corporation these days with anything less than a Masters and expect to land anything serious, i actually heard a clown on a sports talk radio show talking about when he started in the business and taking a job in "sports" and he didn't know the job was a door to door salesman position, he then arrogantly said, "uh no, see i have something called a Bachelors degree, i'm above this type of stuff. ::) i don't give a shit if you have a degree or not, if i own a business my only concern is HOW WILL THIS PERSON BRING MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ TO THIS COMPANY, plain and simple.

I don't know anyone who walks into a major cooperation and lands "something huge" fresh out of college.  I do work with many cooperations who wouldn't even interview you without a bachelors.  Your comparing two different things anyway.  Are you trying to say that a college degree is worthless?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
I don't know anyone who walks into a major cooperation and lands "something huge" fresh out of college.  I do work with many cooperations who wouldn't even interview you without a bachelors.  Your comparing two different things anyway.
by soemthing serious i wasn't talking top floor, partner type of career just something decent.

body88

by soemthing serious i wasn't talking top floor, partner type of career just something decent.

Well, I had a friend who went to UMass Lowell for Mechanical Engineering and he started out at 80k per year working at a Nuclear power plant out in Texas.  Not a days experience on the job.  I used my internship and my degree to land a pretty good position at Arnold Worldwide when I first started out years back.  The CEO told me that my internship meant all the difference in the world, and that was why I was chosen over a few other solid options.

Internships at good schools are the experience that you're talking about and the education gives students a leg up on those less educated.  For example Northeastern has a five year curriculum with one of those years being an internship.  It's phenomenal experience and it builds you a bridge right into a major company.

CEO's love that shit.  When I bring in a new person to my team, thats the first thing I look for.  Others could be different.  Also, you must remember that a college aged kid can be had for cheap (kind of) and if that person is highly educated, they will produce far more than what you pay them.

We had a kid down in sales who was making 70k per year.....and he was generating 300k per year in sales.  Do you know how much we have to pay a seasoned sales vet per year to net the same figures?  Over 100.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
ERSITY DEGREE?

maybe 2%?

I can’t give you a percentage. But, you’re missing a few pros.

Lee Haney (Criminal Justice)
Lee Labrada (Engineering)
Jim Quinn (MBA)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (International marketing of fitness and business administration     ???  )
Jay Cutler (Assoc. Degree - Criminal Justice)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Well, I had a friend who went to UMass Lowell for Mechanical Engineering and he started out at 80k per year working at a Nuclear power plant out in Texas.  Not a days experience on the job.  I used my internship and my degree to land a pretty good position at Arnold Worldwide when I first started out years back.  The CEO told me that my internship meant all the difference in the world, and that was why I was chosen over a few other solid options.

Internships at good schools are the experience that you're talking about and the education gives students a leg up on those less educated.  For example Northeastern has a five year curriculum with one of those years being an internship.  It's phenomenal experience and it builds you a bridge right into a major company.

CEO's love that shit.  When I bring in a new person to my team, thats the first thing I look for.  Others could be different.  Also, you must remember that a college aged kid can be had for cheap (kind of) and if that person is highly educated, they will produce far more than what you pay them.

We had a kid down in sales who was making 70k per year.....and he was generating 300k per year in sales.  Do you know how much we have to pay a seasoned sales vet per year to net the same figures?  Over 100.
Engineering degrees are different, that's somethingthat's viable and usable in the real world as oppoes to these dime a dozen, generic, "business" or "marketing" or "criminal justice" degrees that 20 billion people have these days.

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
You know grapefruit green never made it through high school.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Engineering degrees are different, that's somethingthat's viable and usable in the real world as oppoes to these dime a dozen, generic, "business" or "marketing" or "criminal justice" degrees that 20 billion people have these days.

Criminal justice degrees can be used in the real world. Now, degrees like "philosophy" and "political science", I'd agree with you about those.

In Cutler's case, he also worked in his family's concrete business.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Regarding QuakerOats:

Interesting comments from a man in his mid 30's who spends 24/7 on the internet (including major holidays), lives in a double wide and seems to have no personal income to speak of. Also presents a picture of himself in the reflection on a glass sliding door as proof of his exceptional body (if your a whale). And than he talks about "the real world". Troubling to say the least. If GetBig was a village he would be the village idiot.

F

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
Where did Romano go to school?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
ERSITY DEGREE?

maybe 2%?

Why asking particularly if bb's have a "degree"?

Tell us about all the other so called "athletes", except bodybuilders. Who has actually a "degree"?

Give me a break..... ::)

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
Yeah some soccer players are simple and no doubt you guys have American Football players who are retarded,not just bodybuilding pro's who arent very learned

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Regarding QuakerOats:

Interesting comments from a man in his mid 30's who spends 24/7 on the internet (including major holidays), lives in a double wide and seems to have no personal income to speak of. Also presents a picture of himself in the reflection on a glass sliding door as proof of his exceptional body (if your a whale). And than he talks about "the real world". Troubling to say the least. If GetBig was a village he would be the village idiot.

hahaha
A

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Yeah some soccer players are simple and no doubt you guys have American Football players who are retarded,not just bodybuilding pro's who arent very learned

Yes...wtf questions are these for Gods sake....some tools think bb's are the "retarded" ones, while other "rugby", "golfers" are "genious".

Take for example Kai in his vids. He is a bb but he seems to have a high IQ by the way he speaks for sure.

The Coach

Yes...wtf questions are these for Gods sake....some tools think bb's are the "retarded" ones, while other "rugby", "golfers" are "genious".

Take for example Kai in his vids. He is a bb but he seems to have a high IQ by the way he speaks for sure.

95% of the golfers on tour are very well educated and have finished college with a degree.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
I reckon Kai is quite a bright kinda guy

Meso_z

• Getbig V
95% of the golfers on tour are very well educated and have finished college with a degree.

sure they are.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
  Because the post asked the question, I thought I would chime in and let you know that Craig Richardson went back to school at night (while working during the day and competing) to earn his High School Diploma.  When I asked Craig why he was doing this he replied, "I can't really expect my son to finish high school if I never did."  Not only did Craig earn his High School Diploma but his son is a fine student in his third year of high school.  Craig also went back to the school and put on a guest posing and answered questions to the students with a brief seminar on the importance of finishing high school and other goals.  These were inner-city kids with few good role models. 
  Bodybuilders seldom receive the credit they deserve when they do good things.  Perhaps the magazines could focus a bit more on Shawn Ray's golf outing to help kids and other things that guys do that go unnoticed. 

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Regarding QuakerOats:

hahahahaha

he pauses from posting just long enough to reapply for welfare benefits

io856

looks like someone never went to college  ::)

good luck hiring a high school level graduate... just don't ask him to look at the accounts...

body88

looks like someone never went to college  ::)

good luck hiring a high school level graduate... just don't ask him to look at the accounts...

Lol, he wont even know how to use excel or how to formulate proper projections.  You spend more time educating non-college educated employees than those who can think no their own and that have been exposed to business tools in their classes.