Author Topic: First real jiu jitsu injury  (Read 2982 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
First real jiu jitsu injury
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »
For anyone who does any grappling- what was your first real injury- I dont mean broken bones or anything but like your first real bout with pain where you had to take a week or two off to get better? Tonight I rolled with a guy much higher in belt, and while I usually either bring it to a stalemate ( because I outweigh him by 20 lbs) or make him tap- today he arm bared me and as I was trying to transition and escape I heard my elbow crack. Immediately I tapped and yelled in pain. When I stood up my left elbow was twice the size of my right and was badly black and blue.

I dont care about being in pain, but what sucks is that its nearly impossible to go thru the day without using your left elbow- especially since im left handed. Ive been icing it and using tiger balm and I know I'll be fine in a week or two, its just really fuckin annoying. Im just curious if you guys have any tips ( besides ice and rest) for getting past nagging injuries- Any help is appreciated.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: First real jiu jitsu injury
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
ACL tear

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 04:41:54 AM »
Pulled a ribcage muscle. Kept me out for about a month. Wish I had a magic pill for you, but, the answer is "Time."

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
i got can openered by my training partner about 12 years ago when i first started jiu jitsu,i didnt know that all i had to do was open my guard and push away at his face to ease it up and escape.i kept my guard tight and all i remember is a ripping sound coming from my neck and spine,i couldnt even walk out to my car without help,my neck couldnt turn for about a month.ive had alot of other injuries over the years,especially when i was doing judo,id be leaving judo every training night with something screwed up,lol.youll bounce back bro,sometimes its better just to tap when you feel its sunk in deep,its only practice,in a real tournament is different.good luck on your recovery bro,youll be back in no time
R

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »
Pulled my groin, years ago. 

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
I got judo throwed by someone who outweighed me by 90lbs and landed on my neck.  I had crazy random spasms and numbness in my arms and feet  (I had to get MRI's and see a neurologist).  It was wierd and lasted like a whole year.  Since then ive eased up on the grappling and concentrated on my standup.
Predictions
 40/61

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
Had a few black eyes from catching heels to the face trying to get out of armbars and shit... Other then the ocassional soreness nothing to bad, but I did have a guy put me in a key lock and fucked up my shoulder for a week or so, didnt keep me out of traning but sure made me tap when that arm got grabbed for a while!

Like thin said bro, time is the best thing.. Oh and some IB Profin and Ice and Heat! Good luck man

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »
Thanks bros- appreciate the input. I bought some fancy ass 25 dollar elbow brace with magnets and a built in liquid pocket you can insert for heat or cold. So far its worked pretty well- Also the tylenol and tiger balm have helped*

zimanu

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
I had a knee and elbow injury and it got better when I started doing small movements

Physiotherapeuts would tell you to bring sinovial fluids through small movements - blood isn't what heals articulations, sinovial fluids does

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »
great news!
!

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
Dayumn, I just broke my toe yesterday.... :(

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »
MRSA Staph.  Gym wasn't keeping the mats clean and I had a cut that it got into.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »
One time I was sparring with a BJJ black belt friend of mine that had just moved here from Rio de Janeiro (sp?)
after a minute or two of rolling I succumbed to a real nasty arm bar, me being the stubborn full of pride juicehead I resisted for too long and he kept adding pressure until I thought he broke my arm, my whole arm and shoulder socket were sore for a week, hurt like a guy. I got him back when we were sparring muay thai though ;)