Author Topic: STEM CELL RESTRICTION NOW REVERSED BY OBAMA  (Read 2093 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
STEM CELL RESTRICTION NOW REVERSED BY OBAMA
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
Obama to reverse limits on stem cell work

By BEN FELLER, Associated Press Writer Ben Feller, Associated Press Writer – 13 mins ago
Featured Topics:

President Barack Obama waves as he returns to the White House in Washington, AP – President Barack Obama waves as he returns to the White House in Washington, Friday, March 6, 2009, after …

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is expected to sign an executive order on Monday reversing restrictions on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. A senior administration official says the president will hold an event at the White House to announce the move. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the policy had not yet been publicly announced on Friday.

Stem cells are the building blocks that turn into different kinds of tissue.

Under President George W. Bush, federal money for research on human embryonic stems cells was limited to those stem cell lines that were created before Aug. 9, 2001. No federal dollars could be used on research with cell lines from embryos destroyed from that point forward.
C

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
Re: STEM CELL RESTRICTION NOW REVERSED BY OBAMA
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
I hope he will, that will be a step forward.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »
Oh goody!!!

Now, we can watch Obama waste yet MORE MONEY, on stuff that doesn't work. At last count, when it came to stem cells and diseases cured or treated, it was adult stem cells, 74; embryonic stem cell, 0.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
I was a little worried that Obama would let his own fundie Christian beliefs guide him in this.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. Good.
As empty as paradise

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
This is one of the few things I have agreed with so far.  The reason it doesn't work is that we never gave it a chance.  Not only did they restrict certain cell lines but they also restricted the mediums that the cells required to grow.  ie....they had to use animal growth factors for human stem cells.  I went to a stem cell lab and spoke with the technicians.  Incredibly interesting.  They were having great results with mesenchymal cells but felt their hands were tied with the embyronics and they weren't allowed to use the substances that would make them work.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
This is one of the few things I have agreed with so far.  The reason it doesn't work is that we never gave it a chance.  Not only did they restrict certain cell lines but they also restricted the mediums that the cells required to grow.  ie....they had to use animal growth factors for human stem cells.  I went to a stem cell lab and spoke with the technicians.  Incredibly interesting.  They were having great results with mesenchymal cells but felt their hands were tied with the embyronics and they weren't allowed to use the substances that would make them work.

Other nations haven't had such restrictions. So why is it that embryonic stem cell research, TO THIS DAY, still has cured absolutely NOTHING, while the other forms of stem cell research has cured/treated 74 diseases (and counting)?

To top it all off, scientific discovery continues to show that all of the things that supposedly could only be gleaned from embryonic stem cells can now be developed from adult stem cells.

But, it seems that this is Obama's MO, spending money out the anus on things that are ethically/morally controversial, quite unnecessary, and flat-out don't work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
Other nations haven't had such restrictions. So why is it that embryonic stem cell research, TO THIS DAY, still has cured absolutely NOTHING, while the other forms of stem cell research has cured/treated 74 diseases (and counting)?

To top it all off, scientific discovery continues to show that all of the things that supposedly could only be gleaned from embryonic stem cells can now be developed from adult stem cells.

But, it seems that this is Obama's MO, spending money out the anus on things that are ethically/morally controversial, quite unnecessary, and flat-out don't work.

McWay this is one issue I really haven't followed.  Why do you think there is such a push for embryonic stem cell research if adult stem cell research appears to be better, without all of the controversy? 

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
I was a little worried that Obama would let his own fundie Christian beliefs guide him in this.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. Good.

The moral fabric of our country is going to the shits. Make no mistake, he is muslim not Christian.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Make no mistake, he is muslim not Christian.
What makes you think that?
As empty as paradise

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:45 AM »

1. He has a muslim name;
2. He was raised muslim;
3. There's absolutely no chance a true Christian would make a slip like this:

RJW1966

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 04:54:25 AM »

ignorance

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
On campus, we are all thrilled about this (though we were moving forward with limited stem cell research anyway)! :D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 08:02:33 AM »
1. He has a muslim name;
2. He was raised muslim;
3. There's absolutely no chance a true Christian would make a slip like this:

ahahahaha nice interpretation dipshit....i think ill use some of that logic myself. have a look

i guess we should all assume silverstein meant "detonate the bombs" when he said "pull it"

you idiot.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
The moral fabric of our country is going to the shits. Make no mistake, he is muslim not Christian.

As I said elsewhere, with all the PORK he's been signing into law, there ain't no way he can be Muslim.