Author Topic: Rampage Jackson's Sacrifice  (Read 630 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Rampage Jackson's Sacrifice
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
Countdown to UFC 96 spent a lot of time on personal profiles of Keith Jardine, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Shane Carwin.  All were slightly interesting, but the only really intriguing segments on the show focused on Quinton Jackson.

When Jackson moved to the Wolfslair shortly after his accident, the move was widely mocked as stupid or as further proof that he lost his mind.  From what I can tell, the criticism was way off base. 

The most touching moment of the piece was when Jackson talked about his phone conversation with his three-year-old son who just can't understand why his dad can't come over and see him.  A lot of people focus on the fact that there's nothing to do in Widnes and the way it compares to all of the distractions in Southern California, but the biggest sacrifice Quinton makes is not avoiding the clubs and the beach, it is being away from his kids.  The fact that he is willing to make that sacrifice to be a champion again suggests to me that he may actually have his head on straight, even if it's only temporary.

Beyond skills and strategies, I believe the biggest mistake Keith Jardine is making is underestimating Quinton Jackson's heart.  He's said before that he thinks nobody has the heart that he does, and he thinks he can break Jackson's will.  It's hard to imagine him breaking the will of a man who fought on one leg to a razor close decision when most any other fighter would have quit in the same situation.  It's hard to imagine him breaking the will of a fighter who came out against all odds and knocked out Wanderlei Silva, a man who knocked him out twice.  But most of all, it's very hard to imagine him breaking the will of a man making the kind of sacrifice Rampage is making right now.  If Jardine wins, it will have to be a result of masterful game planning, because he is not going to break Jackson's will.