Author Topic: Does the Bible say that women should have equal rights as men?  (Read 12243 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Does the Bible say that women should have equal rights as men?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
I agree that base on what you posted, they, these three women in the things you cited had intellectual and spiritual influence.

But now, here we have "god talking" and saying
Which pretty much means they are second class citizens.  You can't have women teachers, professors, etc...

Says who? Last time I checked, that was Paul's statement you just quoted in 1 Tim 2.

In other words they are better seen then heard.  Yet, we have these 3 you and loco mentioned.  It reeks of contradiction.  Deborah, Naomi, and Anna should have just kept there mouths shut up like good little bitches in the eyes of god, right?

Not even close!!! They would have never held those positions in the first place, if that rather ridiculous position you just posted were accurate, especially considering that two of the women mentioned held the aforementioned authority, CENTURIES before Paul was even born. The Christ that Paul served was blessed by Anna, before Paul ever became a Christian in the first place.

To top it all off, part of Paul's instruction as he became a Christian came from a woman, Priscilla.

Acts 18:26. "So he begn to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquilla and Priscilla heard him, THEY took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately."

In other words, Paul received instruction regarding the way of the Lord from both Aquilla AND HIS WIFE, Priscilla.....So much for the women keeping their mouths shut flap. Heck, he even taught women in Acts 16.

Paul's statement to Timothy was for a specific audience for a SPECIFIC reason. Timothy was in Greece, where there was lot of confusion taking place, regarding the Gospel of Jesus Christ and issues of faith. This was especially true among the women of that area. Therefore, Paul gave Timothy specific instructions, not to let the women teach, until they are properly instructed (ala Priscilla) in the way of the Lord.

That wasn't the case in Jerusalem (or at least, it wasn't as widespread), where PAUL HIMSELF noted that there women were prophetesses, spreading the Gospel to the people there, with his full approval and blessing.

This thing you worship slaves, commits mass murder, murders children in cold blood, is a hypocrite and tells women the shut their mouths and submit to men.

I see where some think Allah and God are one in the same.

And, I see where, as is the case with some of your other posts, you're WAY off the mark.

Some other juicy "nuggets"

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

And, this is a problem because.........

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

In short, leave the "secrets" (the man's nuts) alone. Grab a skillet and waffle him upside the head, instead.

Can't put a price on virginity?   God can.

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silvers, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

That's been discussed numerous times. The issue is permanent material care. He took the girl's virginity; now he's responsible for her well-being: food, shelter, healthcare, etc.

Women I own you:

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

Once again, this applies to a specific set of women (in Corinth) whose Christian doctrine was flawed. As stated earlier, Paul not only taught women, he was taught himself by a woman (Priscilla) as he became part of the movement to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Women who were taught the way of the Lord were not only allowed to speak, but Paul credited these women HIMSELF, in his letters to his Christian brothers.

Phillipians 4:2-3,

I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the Gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.

Now, why is he doing all this urging to help these women, if all they're supposed to do is keep silent?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
Paul not only allowed women to teach but he actually PRAISES women who taught the Gospel and helped him out.

Romans 16:1-6

I commend unto you Phoebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea, that ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you. for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus, who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ. Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.

Let's see: There's Phoebe, Priscilla (he actually mentioned her BEFORE her husband  :o  ), Mary, Junia........In fact, nearly HALF the people he mentioned in Roman 16 are WOMEN (You know!! For a guy who supposedly thinks that women should just “shut up like good little b%&^@”, Paul seems to be going just a WEEEEEE bit overboard with the “Greetings” and “Thank You’s” to the ladies.  ;D )

Furthermore, Phoebe is described as a "servant" of the church, the Greek for that is diakonos, from which we get the word, "deacon", which according to Strong's dictionary (with relations to the church) means, "one who, by virtue of the office assigned to him by the church, cares for the poor and has charge of and distributes the money collected for their use".

Of course, today, a lady with that title is called a "deaconess".

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 05:00:46 PM »
And a female making it up to high court doesn't mean that women had that same right and opportunity as men?  Besides, this is more than just that.  In the days when Deborah was leading Israel, Israel had no king and the nation's leader was a judge, in this case Deborah.  The judge was like the President of Israel in those days. 

If an Israelite woman in those ancient times was given the opportunity and the right to become the leader of the entire nation, what does that tell you about women's rights?  Not only that, but this was proudly recorded in the Bible and not hidden from future generations.  What does that tell you about women's rights in ancient Israel?

Don't forget the issue in Num. 27. After a group of women talk to Moses, telling them of their father's death and that they don't want to see his name gone from Israel, the law is made that allowed women to inherit their father's property (the eldest daughters, that is), if he died with no sons.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/wnolegal.html