Author Topic: Recession Proof Businesses?  (Read 2811 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Recession Proof Businesses?
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
I was at the grocery store this morning standing in line wondering if recession ever really impacts grocery stores.  People will always need to eat.  If someone cannot afford food, food stamps are available. 

What others are there?  Hospitals?  Gas companies?   >:(  Walmart?  Costco?  I have never walked into Costco without the place being packed and it seems like I never spend less than close to a $100 bucks there. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Re: Recession Proof Businesses?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »
I was at the grocery store this morning standing in line wondering if recession ever really impacts grocery stores.  People will always need to eat.  If someone cannot afford food, food stamps are available. 

What others are there?  Hospitals?  Gas companies?   >:(  Walmart?  Costco?  I have never walked into Costco without the place being packed and it seems like I never spend less than close to a $100 bucks there. 

Repossession?

Ask 333333 he seems to be making a "killing".

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »

A good friend of mine is a produce broker and he does well in every market.

Another recession proof biz in my barber.  No matter how the bad the economy does my hair keeps growing

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing.  Got my hair cut this morning.  Been going to the same barber for over 10 years.  Her English is just as bad today as it was then, but there is always a crowd. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
There is no such thing as a "Recession Proof" business. All businesses are impacted by recession.

Some are impacted negatively, ...while others are impacted positively, ...but all are affected.

It's as I have always said, and will continue to say.

There are some forces that are bigger than we are, and will impact us regardless of what we do.
These forces will either crush us, ...or push us into success, but we cannot control them.
The only thing we can control are the decisions we make that put us in a position to achieve our goals & objectives when these forces strike. We can scream about the coming storm, ...or we can learn to dance in the rain.

That said... regardless of the economic climate, some things will always be in demand.

Commodities.... wheat, grain, fuel etc., Funeral services... Real Estate (depending on what end you're in)

The greatest fortunes have always been made during such times. The difference is simply where the money goes. It's nothing more than a transfer of wealth. In recession or depression, the wealth doesn't go away, ...it's simply transfered from a lot of people and concentrated into the hands of a few. The trick is to position yourself to attract that wealth, regardless of what phase in the cycle the economy happens to be in.

An industry that traditionally does tremendously well especially during recessionary times... MLM or Network Mktg.

It affords people the opportunity to supplement their income, safeguard their income, rebuild their incomes,
...and to create the leverage they currently don't have. Unfortunately it is also a very misunderstood industry.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »
A good friend of mine is a produce broker and he does well in every market.

Another recession proof biz in my barber.  No matter how the bad the economy does my hair keeps growing

your hair keeps growing, ...but are you always willing to cut it?

Getting a haircut is a discretionary purchase. As is the quality of food you buy.

In recessionary times, people often choose to purchase the produce off the discounted rack,
...or the day old bread. Instead of that $100 pair of Nikes, you opt for the $12 no name discount brand.

In a recession, items that are value-based necessities will always thrive.
If those necessities have the ability to save you consumers even more money, ...look out. They will soar.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »

Even hospitals are negatively impacted. People cut back on elective surgeries.
Even Walmart is feeling the pinch. They just announced the closure of all the Sam's Clubs throughout Ontario.
Even gas companies are negatively impacted... people lose their jobs, ...they don't drive as much.
Those who still have jobs to go to, ...car pool, trade-in their vehicles for more fuel efficient models, and are increasingly pro-active about finding solutions to lower their fuel consumption.

Fortunately, ...there is relief on the horizon tho...  ;D

w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »
Was talking the other day about how cemetery is such a good business.  Never run out of customers.   

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
Was talking the other day about how cemetery is such a good business.  Never run out of customers.   

In 1995 I was in a club and met this guy.
We were chatting, ...and of course the conversation gets around to "What do you do?"
He got this sheepishly awkward look on his face and said "I run a family business." I had to pull it out of him.
Finally he confessed. "I run a funeral parlour."  :o  I was beginning to wish I hadn't enquired further.
not knowing what to say, ...and trying to remain positive, I said "Hey, that's a good recession proof business."

...then I changed the subject real quick, ...and tried to get all the wierd thoughts out of my head.  ;D
w

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:57 PM »
One of my friends is a GM of a grocery store... Actually him and his wife are, they manage different stores...  They said their numbers have not changed a bit, people buy the generic over the name brand more now, but that makes them more money if they buy their own product instead of the name brand...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
One of my friends is a GM of a grocery store... Actually him and his wife are, they manage different stores...  They said their numbers have not changed a bit, people buy the generic over the name brand more now, but that makes them more money if they buy their own product instead of the name brand...

He should consider himself blessed that customers are still paying for their food.

Wait til he encounters people who for the first time in their lives are resorting to stealing the food,
...ask him about the turmoil he goes through when he pretends not to notice, ...and when he doesn't.  :'(
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »
In 1995 I was in a club and met this guy.
We were chatting, ...and of course the conversation gets around to "What do you do?"
He got this sheepishly awkward look on his face and said "I run a family business." I had to pull it out of him.
Finally he confessed. "I run a funeral parlour."  :o  I was beginning to wish I hadn't enquired further.
not knowing what to say, ...and trying to remain positive, I said "Hey, that's a good recession proof business."

...then I changed the subject real quick, ...and tried to get all the wierd thoughts out of my head.  ;D

Its true, my extended family owns several in the city of Boston and business never stops. Maybe people don't but the best funeral package but what the hell else are u going to do. U can't bury or burn somebody yourself. Medical jobs do well and with the current level of nutbags running around the globe, the Military does well ina recession. Budgets get cut but after Clinton slashed our budgets in the 90's, we deployed twice as much.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 07:02:07 AM »
Repossession?

Ask 333333 he seems to be making a "killing".

I dp debt collection for businesses in commercial situations.  I am much busier now but things are harder because there are more bankruptcy filings and people and businesses are broke. 

I made more when everything was good because people were not as concerned with paying their bills and the banks were giving out money left and right.

However, I am glad "I work for myself and cant be laid off.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »
The field of healthcare is still growing by the month.  There will never be a big dent in it as it is an increasing field based primarily on population growth.

There have been some studies that indicated that during times of recession the population expands.  Which is not hard to believe.  When people can't afford to go out and spend money on the weekends, they just stay at home and fuck.

Even employment that is indirectly tied to the medical field such as electronic records (still in an infancy stage but will explode in the future) is growing like crazy.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
Solar energy is the best business in the world, you have unlimited free supply of goods, just take as much as you can and sell it, there is an endless supply of buyers too.

My recommendation is concentration dishes high efficiency non Silicon based solar collectors:

1.Big start up investment.
2.Low maintenance.
3.When you want to upgrade all you need to do is replace the module in the focal point.