Author Topic: Do you have the believe the Bible is the 100% word of God to be a Christian?  (Read 21202 times)

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country

but we both believe it's God's word. 

Me too! I don't see how a Christian can't believe that the Bible isn't the Word Of God. This Scripture does it for me. (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

GC/DEA_AGENT

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

I could give you some Scriptures to go by, but I'm not sure which ones you believe in?   ;D :P

GC/DEA_AGENT

Show me where it says one must believe a book assembled 300 years after Jesus's death and much of which was written 50 years after his death to be saved.

Jesus outlined the path to salvation clearly.  He didn't included the bible in it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
i agree with you there, so in essence you think one doesn't have to?

No, within the parameters I already discussed.  It's really up to the individual.  It's clear to me that the Bible is God's word.  I'm not conflicted about it at all.  There are parts I question and parts I'm not all that crazy about it, but I've spent enough time reading the Bible and experienced God in my life to be comfortable with the entire Bible as God's word. 

I don't think the Bible should serve as a stumbling block to anyone's relationship with God.  If it bothers anyone to read the Bible, or accept it, then they shouldn't read it.  That said, I think refusing to read it is inconsistent with Christianity, and a true, meaningful relationship with God, but at the end of the day a person has be comfortable with their own beliefs.  It's really not for me to say that you or anyone else isn't a true Christian because you reject the Bible.

This puts me at odds with a lot of Christians, because the Bible is very clear about the entire Bible being God's word, and much of Christianity will teach you that you can't reject the Bible and maintain a genuine relationship with God.  I think on balance that this teaching is correct, but I'm not comfortable questioning the sincerity of a person's relationship based solely on problems they might have with parts of the Bible.       

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Me too! I don't see how a Christian can't believe that the Bible isn't the Word Of God. This Scripture does it for me. (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

GC/DEA_AGENT

I pretty much agree. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
No, within the parameters I already discussed.  It's really up to the individual.  It's clear to me that the Bible is God's word.  I'm not conflicted about it at all.  There are parts I question and parts I'm not all that crazy about it, but I've spent enough time reading the Bible and experienced God in my life to be comfortable with the entire Bible as God's word. 

I don't think the Bible should serve as a stumbling block to anyone's relationship with God.  If it bothers anyone to read the Bible, or accept it, then they shouldn't read it.  That said, I think refusing to read it is inconsistent with Christianity, and a true, meaningful relationship with God, but at the end of the day a person has be comfortable with their own beliefs.  It's really not for me to say that you or anyone else isn't a true Christian because you reject the Bible.

This puts me at odds with a lot of Christians, because the Bible is very clear about the entire Bible being God's word, and much of Christianity will teach you that you can't reject the Bible and maintain a genuine relationship with God.  I think on balance that this teaching is correct, but I'm not comfortable questioning the sincerity of a person's relationship based solely on problems they might have with parts of the Bible.       

However, in the end, there is nothing in the Bible that says it.  I agree it's a personal choice.

Regardless, to be saved, you need only to accept Jesus as you savior.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

I agree with this. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
what if you don't need to be saved because you practice a different religion.
DAWG

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country

Why do you believe this part of the Bible and not the rest? Just asking?

GC/DEA_AGENT

OzmO

• Getbig V

Why do you believe this part of the Bible and not the rest? Just asking?

GC/DEA_AGENT

Why should i believe the rest?  What difference does it make?  All that matters is I accept Jesus as my savior right? 

All rest is....GC...... is man.  a man made collection of books to set up doctrine.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The Bible itself is the principal evidence that Jesus Christ is a historical person. The record in the Gospels is not a vague narrative of events at some unspecified time and in an unnamed location. It clearly states time and place in great detail. For an example, look at (Luke 3:1, 2, 21-23).

Indeed. William Ramsay, schooled during the so-called Enlightenment period, in which Scripture was severely ridiculed, did his investigation into the account of Luke and found his account to be quite accurate, which played a role into his becoming a Christian.

Josephus (Jewish historian) referred to the stoning of James, who was the brother of Jesus. This same Jesus was referred to as the "Christ" by Josephus.

Not quite. According to the Arabic version of Josephus' document (known as the Testimonium Flavinium), Josephus merely stated that Jesus was called Christ, not that Josephus himself thought Him to be the Christ.

Another secular source was Tacitus, a Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century. He also referred to Christ.

Yep!! He even cited that Christ was put to death by Pontius Pilate.

Even the The New Encyclopedia Britannica admits that these sources are legit and that OPPONENTS of Christianity did not doubt the existence of Jesus.

What's your take on this info Decide? Just asking?   :)

GC/DEA_AGENT

Stand by for more foolishness!!  ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V

Bump!

Still no one can show that to be a christian/saved you must believe the KJV Bible is the word of God.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
Why should i believe the rest?  What difference does it make?  All that matters is I accept Jesus as my savior right? 

The difference is, it's in the Bible, the same one you reject on every other matter concerning it.

All rest is....GC...... is man.  a man made collection of books to set up doctrine.

How do you come to the conclusion that the part u believe is not written by man?

GC/DEA_AGENT

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country

Not quite. According to the Arabic version of Josephus' document (known as the Testimonium Flavinium), Josephus merely stated that Jesus was called Christ, not that Josephus himself thought Him to be the Christ.

Ooops! My bad. Thanx for the correction, friend.

GC/DEA_AGENT

OzmO

• Getbig V
The difference is, it's in the Bible, the same one you reject on every other matter concerning it.

How do you come to the conclusion that the part u believe is not written by man?

GC/DEA_AGENT

In reality it was written by man.  In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, weren't those gospels written many years after Jesus's death?  Some experts thinking it was as much as 50 years after his death.  50 years of the beginning of a religion spread by word of mouth?  Ever play that game in school where everyone stands in a line a message is sent though it? 

The "rest of the bible" is used for power, used for church.  In the bible as with many other religious works from other religions lies nuggets of wisdom from God.  The bible has some great ones:  Do on to others......  Very little to go wrong with living your life that way. 

The rest of the raging mass murdering jealous insecure stuff is all man. Like beating your kid with a rod.  Or a sending a bear to kill children for teasing a prophet.  Or sending your daughters outside to get raped by an angry horny mob.  I mean come on. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Ooops! My bad. Thanx for the correction, friend.

GC/DEA_AGENT

No problem. I've dealt with Deicide's silly claims before, regarding the alleged non-existence of Jesus Christ. It's a view that few hold, given the huge body of evidence we have today. Basically, any arguments about Christ center more around His divinity, not his mere existence.

In reality it was written by man.  In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, weren't those gospels written many years after Jesus's death?  Some experts thinking it was as much as 50 years after his death.  50 years of the beginning of a religion spread by word of mouth?  Ever play that game in school where everyone stands in a line a message is sent though it? 

The "rest of the bible" is used for power, used for church.  In the bible as with many other religious works from other religions lies nuggets of wisdom from God.  The bible has some great ones:  Do on to others......  Very little to go wrong with living your life that way. 

The rest of the raging mass murdering jealous insecure stuff is all man. Like beating your kid with a rod.  Or a sending a bear to kill children for teasing a prophet.  Or sending your daughters outside to get raped by an angry horny mob.  I mean come on. 

"Come on", indeed. The "beating your kid with a rod" is little more than the standard butt-whipping that most folks got as kids, when they got too far out of line.

As for the rest, there were TWO bears and (as explained multiple times before), Elisha was not confronted by a bunch of gummy-worm eating, Caprisun-sipping kindegarteners. Of course, when this was last brought up, you were still left to explain why a bunch of "little kids" would leave the confines of a city, go to a desert road, and confront a prophet, allegedly just to pick on his being bald.

Add to that, how many of these folks were there, if only 42 got jacked up by them grizzlies?

The daughters-angry-mob stuff.......that's a mere report of what happened in a scenario where a cowardly guy does that to save his own hide.

Basically, as stated before, you've simply cut-and-pasted from some Bible skeptic website(s), in which the authors are basically CLUELESS as to the context of the scenarios, which the skeptics decry. I believe it's called "argument by outrage".

Again, if you had a bunch of hooligans (rolling perhaps 100 deep) coming your way with intent to do you bodily harm, I don't think you'd be crying about a couple of bears coming to your rescue.

OzmO

• Getbig V
No problem. I've dealt with Deicide's silly claims before, regarding the alleged non-existence of Jesus Christ. It's a view that few hold, given the huge body of evidence we have today. Basically, any arguments about Christ center more around His divinity, not his mere existence.

"Come on", indeed. The "beating your kid with a rod" is little more than the standard butt-whipping that most folks got as kids, when they got too far out of line.

As for the rest, there were TWO bears and (as explained multiple times before), Elisha was not confronted by a bunch of gummy-worm eating, Caprisun-sipping kindegarteners. Of course, when this was last brought up, you were still left to explain why a bunch of "little kids" would leave the confines of a city, go to a desert road, and confront a prophet, allegedly just to pick on his being bald.

Add to that, how many of these folks were there, if only 42 got jacked up by them grizzlies?

The daughters-angry-mob stuff.......that's a mere report of what happened in a scenario where a cowardly guy does that to save his own hide.

Basically, as stated before, you've simply cut-and-pasted from some Bible skeptic website(s), in which the authors are basically CLUELESS as to the context of the scenarios, which the skeptics decry. I believe it's called "argument by outrage".

Again, if you had a bunch of hooligans (rolling perhaps 100 deep) coming your way with intent to do you bodily harm, I don't think you'd be crying about a couple of bears coming to your rescue.

Tell you what, call CPS and your local newspaper and tell them you are about to beat you child with a rod.  see what happens.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
The Bible itself is the principal evidence that Jesus Christ is a historical person. The record in the Gospels is not a vague narrative of events at some unspecified time and in an unnamed location. It clearly states time and place in great detail. For an example, look at (Luke 3:1, 2, 21-23).

Luke is just as contrived and fictitious as the other Gospels, therein is contained the famous Luke/Matthew Jesus Birth Date contradiction

Josephus (Jewish historian) referred to the stoning of James, who was the brother of Jesus. This same Jesus was referred to as the "Christ" by Josephus.

Joesphus, an orthodox Jew would never have referred to 'Jesus' as the Christ and that passage you are referring to is talking about another Jesus, not Jesus of Nazareth.

Another secular source was Tacitus, a Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century. He also referred to Christ.

Widely acknowledged to be an interpolation and even if not, writing nearly a century later, has little value, being mentioned no longer than a sentence.

Even the The New Encyclopedia Britannica admits that these sources are legit and that OPPONENTS of Christianity did not doubt the existence of Jesus.

What's your take on this info Decide? Just asking?   :)

I find the evidence lacking and this has been discussed many times before.

GC/DEA_AGENT

Why do you always post this?
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Bump!

Still no one can show that to be a christian/saved you must believe the KJV Bible is the word of God.

OzmO, the title of your thread refers to "the Bible" in general.  I'm curious as to why you all of a sudden changed your question to refer only to the King James Version?  What about all the other Bible versions in all the other languages?

OzmO

• Getbig V
OzmO, the title of your thread refers to "the Bible" in general.  I'm curious as to why you all of a sudden changed your question to refer only to the King James Version?  What about all the other Bible versions in all the other languages?

no reason

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Bump!

no reason

That you have to believe that just the King James Version of the Bible is the Word of God to be a Christian, to be saved?  I'd say No.    :-\

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Show me where it says one must believe a book assembled 300 years after Jesus's death and much of which was written 50 years after his death to be saved.

Jesus outlined the path to salvation clearly.  He didn't included the bible in it.

Where?

OzmO

• Getbig V

OzmO

• Getbig V
That you have to believe that just the King James Version of the Bible is the Word of God to be a Christian, to be saved?  I'd say No.    :-\

What about the other main stream versions generally accepted by Christians?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
What about the other main stream versions generally accepted by Christians?

All versions of the Bible, in all languages, translated from the surviving Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts are The Word of God, and that includes the King James Version.