Author Topic: Hook Grip?  (Read 2888 times)

brent2741

• Getbig IV
Hook Grip?
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
having tore both biceps deadlifting with an alt grip, im thinking of using a hook grip to lessen the chance of tearing my bicep again. Its either a hook grip or give up deadlifting heavy forever. What do you guys think? has anyone tore a bicep and switched to a hook grip with good results?
It seems having the hand pronated and taken the tension off the bicep it would be better.

The Wall

• Getbig II
Re: Hook Grip?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
i hook grip for everything bc of olympic lifting but if u dont use it often u are gonnna experience serious discomfort for the better part of 6months before you get the thumb bone density to support a heavy weight without pain...you may adjust faster but it all depend how much you use it, ive tried to show people it in the past and they wince anytime the weight gets even moderately heavy

my suggestion is use some straps...save your bis

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
i hook grip for everything bc of olympic lifting but if u dont use it often u are gonnna experience serious discomfort for the better part of 6months before you get the thumb bone density to support a heavy weight without pain...you may adjust faster but it all depend how much you use it, ive tried to show people it in the past and they wince anytime the weight gets even moderately heavy

my suggestion is use some straps...save your bis

i was deadlifting tonight with 315 for the first time since surgery about 10 weeks ago and i tried the hook and it felt pretty good but ive heard when you get into the 600's the thumb really starts to hurt, but once you get past the pain they say its worth it

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
yeah like i said it takes a while to develop absolute comfort with it...but i use it in strongman farmers walks all the time...so the weight in my hands is never an issue, grip never fails if u hook, lol my legs on the other hand runnin with those air tanks....

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:57:21 AM »
Seems to work like a charm for Big Brad anyway..
Fwiw, I think you need pretty big hands for a hook grip to be really beneficial.
As empty as paradise

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
If youre looking for some way to just train it get a trap bar. Vinny Dizenzo uses one to avoid the bicep issues.

Jason

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:20:01 PM »
If youre looking for some way to just train it get a trap bar. Vinny Dizenzo uses one to avoid the bicep issues.

Jason

im not willing to accept retirement from the competitive side of deadlifting just yet

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
Fwiw, I think you need pretty big hands for a hook grip to be really beneficial.

Amen to that. Hook grip is a complete no go for me, my hands are just too small. I just stick with a double overhand grip.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
I tore my left bicep (4years ago) and that was the overhand grip hand  ::)
Masters- 50-54
148#

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
Set the pins in the power rack just below the knee. Put a ton of weight on and start working on your hook grip.
X

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
Exactly. I could never do hook grip because I have thick hands but small...
S

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »

"Dr. Squat" would disagree