Author Topic: GOP becoming a cartoon  (Read 4018 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
GOP becoming a cartoon
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
Commentary: GOP becoming a cartoon
Story Highlights
  • Jack Cafferty: Jindal, Palin, Steele have had embarrassing moments

He says the Republicans had an opportunity to change course after Bush

Cafferty: They're blowing their chance by obstructing Obama's change plans

He says the GOP isn't trusted by Americans to lead U.S. out of recession

By Jack Cafferty
CNN
Editor's note: Jack Cafferty is the author of a new book, "Now or Never: Getting Down to the Business of Saving Our American Dream," to be published in March. He provides commentary on CNN's "The Situation Room" daily from 4 to 7 p.m. ET. You can also visit Jack's Cafferty File blog.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The Republican Party is becoming a cartoon.

Where to start?

Bobby Jindal: "I'm certainly not nearly as good of a speaker as Obama." Good OF a speaker? How about not as good at eighth-grade grammar either. It's embarrassing.

Sarah Palin? Billing the taxpayers for her kids to travel to official events the children weren't even invited to? She finally agreed to pay back the state for that money she took.

Her per diem charges to the state in the amount of $17,000 while she was living at home instead of in the governor's mansion? She has now agreed to pay the taxes owed on that money. Another tawdry grab at a few dollars that didn't belong to her.

Michael Steele, the newly elected chairman of the Republican National Committee, down on his knees apologizing to the helium-filled poster boy of the conservative right? Pathetic.

If the Republicans are ever to emerge from the long dark night they have created for themselves it will have to be without pandering to the right wing nuts that comprise Rush Limbaugh's radio audience. Didn't they learn anything in the last election?

All of which is to say the GOP is blowing it big time. They were handed a golden opportunity to redeem themselves with the election of Barack Obama -- a chance to line up and in unison condemn the evil their party put in the White House the previous eight years.

The country had had a bellyful of George Bush, Dick Cheney, and the rest of the messengers of darkness in Washington who had sold out the principles of the Republican Party in favor of huge deficits, a doubling of the national debt, and a growing intrusion of the federal government into people's private lives.

But instead of getting on board the change train and recognizing the incredible amount of damage their people had done to the country, Republicans go blithely along as though nothing has happened. They're busy obstructing Obama's programs and criticizing the Democrats' spending plans that are aimed at trying to bring the country out of a horrible recession.

I hate to break it to them, but a lot has happened. And they're not going to like any of it.

The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows the Republican Party's favorability rating at an all-time low. President Obama's is at an all-time high. The same poll shows that Republicans are getting most of the blame for the partisanship that hinders governmental progress. And perhaps most telling, when asked which party is best equipped to lead the country out of recession, the Republicans trail the Democrats by a stunning 30 points.

And while all this is going on, the GOP ran a straw poll on who the party's nominee should be for president in 2012. Ready?

Mitt Romney finished first followed by Bobby Jindal, Ron Paul and Sarah Palin.

The Republican Party is marching double-time down the road to irrelevance and they don't even know it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/10/cafferty.republicans/index.html

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: GOP becoming a cartoon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
But which cartoon?  Tom and Jerry?  Bullwinkle?  Crashbandicoot?

Personally I am thinking more along the lines of Ice Age.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
Zippy the Pinhead

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
You could say the same for democrats particularly with their recent excessive spending, the "stimulus" disaster that they wrote and repeated candidates that did not pay their taxes.  The article is just worthless (and part of that partisan politics thats irritating).

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
More like the flintstones..the GOP a bunch of dinosaurs.with old beliefs and outdated Idea's.yea keep worrying about the religious right,gay marriage and abortion and other non issues.don't even start on them claiming being conservative.because there anything but that.
DAWG

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
More like the flintstones..the GOP a bunch of dinosaurs.with old beliefs and outdated Idea's.yea keep worrying about the religious right,gay marriage and abortion and other non issues.don't even start on them claiming being conservative.because there anything but that.

The "base" is dying out by the day.  The old timers with their bigotry and biased beliefs no longer represent the majority of voters.  The ones still left that is.  And the party has done NOTHING to make inroads in gaining new voters.  Hispanics who normally vote primarily GOP turned out for Obama last year.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
The "base" is dying out by the day.  The old timers with their bigotry and biased beliefs no longer represent the majority of voters.  The ones still left that is.  And the party has done NOTHING to make inroads in gaining new voters.  Hispanics who normally vote primarily GOP turned out for Obama last year.

as a lifelong Republican i couldn't agree more.

NT

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Wait.....didn't we push equal rights....stop segregation...is't Byrd a KKK member. I think u douchbags have the market cornered on bias, bigotry and affirmative action..or race retardation. U keep ur people poor and as a result maintain a base or voting block. Hispanics normally vote Repub...missed that.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »

yeah - that is better

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
Wait.....didn't we push equal rights....stop segregation...is't Byrd a KKK member. I think u douchbags have the market cornered on bias, bigotry and affirmative action..or race retardation. U keep ur people poor and as a result maintain a base or voting block. Hispanics normally vote Repub...missed that.

good luck running on victories from 40-50 years ago.

The Repubs destroyed their party by abandoning their core principles and selling themselves out to the radical religious right.   I'm amazed that the party elders (and I don't mean Rash) can't figure this out

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
There have been major mistakes by some republicans the last 8 years but that does not mean that true conservitive principles are outdated.

True conservatives basically want to limit the size and scope of gov to serve and protect the people, allow people to keep more of their $ allowing them to choose what to do with it and what to support, believe in creating opportunity but not permanent handouts and protect personal freedoms above all.  That is a true conservative.  Republicans aren't always conservatives but the new wave of big government, ultra liberal, create a nanny state democrats are certainly against the founding principles of this country.

IMO the republican party needs to make sure that they stick with economic conservative principles.  Evangelicals make up a part of the party but not every republican is a social conservative.  Yes straw, I agree with you on that one!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
good luck running on victories from 40-50 years ago.

The Repubs destroyed their party by abandoning their core principles and selling themselves out to the radical religious right.   I'm amazed that the party elders (and I don't mean Rash) can't figure this out

you lefties keep lumping in the religion card with your criticism of republicans but your representatives are just as religious I agree with the other comment though. Although it isnt destroyed the democrats are on a high right now but trust everything will level out again.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
you lefties keep lumping in the religion card with your criticism of republicans but your representatives are just as religious I agree with the other comment though. Although it isnt destroyed the democrats are on a high right now but trust everything will level out again.

It's not the personal religious beliefs that is so objectionable. It was the GOP's  MO of flagrantly catering to them.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »
It's not the personal religious beliefs that is so objectionable. It was the GOP's  MO of flagrantly catering to them.
please give examples.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
please give examples.
bump for examples

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
bump for examples

well I'm not the one your asking...but...We had a few prominate preachers in my area that was actually telling there congregation to vote McCain/Palin.If you don't see whats wrong with that theres no point in discussing it any further.Just think the church pays no taxes.and if you think the religious heads aren't giving donations to certain politicians to in turn push there religious agenda your just naive.
DAWG

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »
well I'm not the one your asking...but...We had a few prominate preachers in my area that was actually telling there congregation to vote McCain/Palin.If you don't see whats wrong with that theres no point in discussing it any further.Just think the church pays no taxes.and if you think the religious heads aren't giving donations to certain politicians to in turn push there religious agenda your just naive.
yes b/c no preacher or pastor said to vote obama right? Jags statement was that the GOP flagerantly caters to the religious, pastor saying vote one way or the other is the other way around and irrelevant.

If you think that no church or religous organization give money to democrats you are naive...please give me examples of the republicans flagerantly catering to religion.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
yes b/c no preacher or pastor said to vote obama right? Jags statement was that the GOP flagerantly caters to the religious, pastor saying vote one way or the other is the other way around and irrelevant.

If you think that no church or religous organization give money to democrats you are naive...please give me examples of the republicans flagerantly catering to religion.

lets face it.Abortion,Gay marriage,stem cell research are at there core religious arguments.all you here is how in the bible it says Adam and eve not Adam and Steve.and stem cell research..oh it's playing god...and abortion please don't even go there.the Republicans for the most part have catered to the views of the religious right on these and numerous other issues in order to gain there vote's.and honestly I hope they continue to do so.because for most people with modern intelligent these are no brainer,non issues.
DAWG

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
lets face it.Abortion,Gay marriage,stem cell research are at there core religious arguments.all you here is how in the bible it says Adam and eve not Adam and Steve.and stem cell research..oh it's playing god...and abortion please don't even go there.the Republicans for the most part have catered to the views of the religious right on these and numerous other issues in order to gain there vote's.and honestly I hope they continue to do so.because for most people with modern intelligent these are no brainer,non issues.
plenty of arguements against gay marriage that arent religious, same with abortion, stem cell I agree with you on.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
plenty of arguements against gay marriage that arent religious, same with abortion, stem cell I agree with you on.
Yeah, didn't the black vote turn out in record numbers to vote against gay marriage in CA?  I'm just curious.

Basic conservative principles are sound, but many in the party have gone away from them.  In theory and practice they could leave to a great life.  I hear about the "old" days of my parents growing up and wish I could have been raised in that environment.  Life was much more simple and society was traditional.  I'm not talking about the race or marriage issues, but society was more wholesome.  I look at most people in society and think where did we go wrong.  I can only imagine what it will be like when I am my parents' age.
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
bump for examples

Dude,
...I have an international business to run, and Tuesdays & Wednesday are usually my busiest days.
Please, take a chill pill if I don't respond immediately! Sheesh!

• Palin's selection as running mate
  • McCain's flip flop to get Falwell's endorsement
  • The very issues put forth by the GOP as priorities
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
Dude,
...I have an international business to run, and Tuesdays & Wednesday are usually my busiest days.
Please, take a chill pill if I don't respond immediately! Sheesh!

• Palin's selection as running mate
  • McCain's flip flop to get Falwell's endorsement
  • The very issues put forth by the GOP as priorities
LOL i simply didnt want it to get bogged down and not get a response calm down little lady.

LOL those are horrible examples...biden is just as religious and so is obama its just not brought to the fore front by the media. What issues put forth by the GOP are you referring too, how do you know they are for religious reasons?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »

Union halls tell always their guys to vote democrat, no matter who it is that's running.

Why is it suddenly evil that a church does it?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
Union halls tell always their guys to vote democrat, no matter who it is that's running.

Why is it suddenly evil that a church does it?

those union members pay taxes dumb ass.
DAWG

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:13 AM »
So what if the religious community doesn't support Biden or Obama?  The Church doesn't make policy and if they have problem with two candidates who support things like abortion then they should speak their mind.  It is a free country and nobody is putting a gun to the head of the congregation. 

I know plenty of religious people who simply think it's not right to have gay couples break down the traditional set up of marriage.  As for abortion, you can play semantics all you want but murder is murder.  This is often why when someone kills a pregnant mother the prosecutor will often seek a charge of double homicide. 
Squishy face retard