Author Topic: I hate Wake Forest...  (Read 1684 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: I hate Wake Forest...
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »
epic taking sports way too seriously, it's just a ballgame dude.

But to show how pathetic NC state has become, there are 4 huge stacks of DVDs in the student bookstore of the 1983 NCAA win, and how much do they cost? 40 bucks a piece. Talk about living in the past.

Just a ballgame?  Just a ballgame??  That's like saying the schmoe vs schmoeho challenge was 'just a workout'! 

Your attitude is indicative of how watered-down things have become in the era of the oversized conference.  Even when we added Florida State, the ACC still had a home-and-home series between each team every year and that was HUGE.  We'd sometimes be able to get tickets to road games at Carolina or Wake (never at Duke!) and it was great to be able to roll in and steal a win.  Their fans had the opportunity to do the same. 

You grew up with a team, I mean, entire families often backed one school in the ACC (especially the Big Four - State, Wake, Duke, Carolina), and then you picked a school to attend. 

ACC culture was awesome.  What it has become is a shame, but I'd still like to see my kid choose an ACC school.  I chose State over Wake and Carolina, but eventually ended up graduating from Maryland (long story).

Passion and competitiveness is what separates champions from those who just play the game. ;)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
Just a ballgame?  Just a ballgame??  That's like saying the schmoe vs schmoeho challenge was 'just a workout'! 

Your attitude is indicative of how watered-down things have become in the era of the oversized conference.  Even when we added Florida State, the ACC still had a home-and-home series between each team every year and that was HUGE.  We'd sometimes be able to get tickets to road games at Carolina or Wake (never at Duke!) and it was great to be able to roll in and steal a win.  Their fans had the opportunity to do the same. 

You grew up with a team, I mean, entire families often backed one school in the ACC (especially the Big Four - State, Wake, Duke, Carolina), and then you picked a school to attend. 

ACC culture was awesome.  What it has become is a shame, but I'd still like to see my kid choose an ACC school.  I chose State over Wake and Carolina, but eventually ended up graduating from Maryland (long story).

Passion and competitiveness is what separates champions from those who just play the game. ;)

Tre, I am a huge Carolina fan.  Born and bread, baby!  I live in Raleigh now and it's sad how far the State fan base has fallen.  The only game or thing they get up for in football or hoops in beating Carolina.  Absolutely nothing else....

And on a side note, I would assume you chose State over WF because of cost....if not, you are full of shit..... ;)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »

So, Basically your drunk like Protein-Farts ;D ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »

So, Basically your drunk like Protein-Farts ;D ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 04:31:45 PM »
epic taking sports way too seriously, it's just a ballgame dude.

But to show how pathetic NC state has become, there are 4 huge stacks of DVDs in the student bookstore of the 1983 NCAA win, and how much do they cost? 40 bucks a piece. Talk about living in the past.

For true living in the past, most State fans point to the 1973 and 1974 teams that were dominant. 
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

Amen...I liked it best before FSU joined...just 8 teams (perfect number for the tournament)...plus ESPN hadn't taken over half the broadcasts...all games on local stations with commercials from Food Lion whose president looked like UVa coach Terry Holland.  Only drawback was having to listen to Billy "Fudge" Packer, who is even more annoying than Dickie V, baby!!!!
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Amen...I liked it best before FSU joined...just 8 teams (perfect number for the tournament)...plus ESPN hadn't taken over half the broadcasts...all games on local stations with commercials from Food Lion whose president looked like UVa coach Terry Holland.  Only drawback was having to listen to Billy "Fudge" Packer, who is even more annoying than Dickie V, baby!!!!

Andy, I remember in the 8th grade our teacher brought a TV in and we watched the games on Friday.....back in the good old days.  After that, we either stayed out of school or left at lunch time to watch.  State holiday!  8)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »

That DVD should be $9.99, at most.

Over the last couple of years, there have been several mentions of that championship from the national basketball announcers, but that victory just isn't relevant anymore.  It was an awesome run by an underdog, but the shot clock and 3-point line have made it a completely different ballgame.  And given that it was 26 years ago, that championship just doesn't matter anymore. 

I'm actually cool with those changes, but the one rule I absolutely *hate* - and which has ruined the college game - is the double bonus on free throws after 10 fouls.  I could see having it at 14-15 fouls, but make the one-and-one a real part of the game again and we'll get even more exciting finishes. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »

x2

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »

Andy, I remember in the 8th grade our teacher brought a TV in and we watched the games on Friday.....back in the good old days.  After that, we either stayed out of school or left at lunch time to watch.  State holiday!  8)

Same here.  I'm actually old enough to remember when the championship game was on Saturday night rather than on Sunday afternoon...and only the conference tournament champion got into the NCAA...of course, back then, the NIT was not a joke.  
~

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »

Exactly, I'd forgotten about that part, but yep, during the ACC tournament, starting in 6th grade, we would get a TV in the classroom to watch. 

That was awesome! 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »
Same here.  I'm actually old enough to remember when the championship game was on Saturday night rather than on Sunday afternoon...and only the conference tournament champion got into the NCAA...of course, back then, the NIT was not a joke. 

Imagine how many titles the ACC would have if the bracket had been even 32 teams back in those single-bid years.  The NCAA is just as clueless today, I am proud to say. lol

But, that's why I don't really count anything before the 1979(?) expansion. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »
Imagine how many titles the ACC would have if the bracket had been even 32 teams back in those single-bid years.  The NCAA is just as clueless today, I am proud to say. lol

But, that's why I don't really count anything before the 1979(?) expansion. 

Excellent point.  Personally, I think the season drags on too long these days...waters the whole thing down.  Used to be, a 20 win season was special, but nowadays, you can play .500 ball and reach 15 wins. 
~