Author Topic: you ever read this book? The Screwing of the Average Man - David Hapgood  (Read 3612 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith

(1974)

http://www.amazon.com/screwing-average-man-David-Hapgood/dp/B0006W84KK

From the rear cover of Mr. Hapgood's Screwing of the Average Man:

"The Screwing of the Average Man is the best account I have seen of how the system is rigged from maternity ward to beyond the grave to keep most of us broke so the rich can go on getting richer. Only a person with more than $200,000 a year can read it without weeping." -Russell Baker

$200k in '73 is between $450k and $900k or more today, when adjusted for the inflation (using this calculator, for example). It's hard to say how $200k in '73 compares to today because the government statisticians keep changing the yardsticks [full, pdf] [partial, html], but even the lower number gives a good indication of the U.S. Feral Government's mismanagement of the U.S. "Dollar".

From the inside flaps:

If you earn your living by drawing a salary, you're probably being screwed. If you aren't rich and powerful, you're almost certainly being screwed.

The Screwing of the Average Man

This book tells you how it's being done with a literate wit that once you stop laughing will make your blood boil.

It's the first book to expose all the major screwings the average man is heir to -- including those inflicted by lawyers, doctors, bankers, and many other "experts", as well as those by the government.  It also explains why the average man, unlike the poor, doesn't know he's being screwed.

The average man is given just enough crumbs from the table of the mighty to keep him hoping for more instead of complaining about the little he's getting. For example, his $50 tax deduction silences protest he should be making about the millions saved by the rich. Today's average man is like the ante-bellum "house guy", so grateful to be inside with the rich folks that he forgets he's still a slave. After reading this book, he'll never again forget.

(See back flap for the Vocabulary of SCREWING)
    ---------------

YOUTOOISM:  1. The belief that whatever applies to the rich applies to the average man, too. 2. The strategy for seducing people into accepting their own screwing. It consists of giving the average man just enough of a break to convince him he's benefiting from the system.

CATCH-85: The fallacy in youtooism. Under Catch-85, the number of people who benefit from a special privilege is limited to no more than (usually the wealthiest) 15 percent of the population.

NET SCREWING: The situation 85 percent of the population is in. Because we're allowed to win a little every now and then (*1), we don't realize how much we're being rooked in all our other transactions.

CAROM SCREWING: One screwing that leads by chain reaction to another. For example, when cars are made flimsy in order to sell more parts, the customer is exposed to greater loss from two other screwings: auto insurance and the repairs industry.

WORDNOISE: Verbal fakery designed to mask reality. One example is your insurance contract, and another is what the agent says when you ask him what the contract means.

If Hapgood had written his book in the last 10 years, he certainly would've added a couple chapters on how "globalization" screws the Average American.

12 years ago, U.S. Robotics paid Average Americans to assemble their modems. Courier v.Everything modems were expensive, but because many people had jobs that paid well, if an individual really wanted or needed the Cadillac (er, Lexus? Mercedes? Porsche?) of modems, they'd budget accordingly and save their pennies.

The transition to the present economic status quo started around 1995 when the Feral Reserve bank started to inflate the money supply.  That time period correlates roughly with George H.W. Bush and William Jefferson Clinton's betrayal of Average Americans by opening the borders to unrestricted trade. Traitor Bush negotiated the North American "Free" Trade Agreement, and Traitor Clinton forced NA'F'TA implementation bills through congress. The World Trade Organization was also founded in 1995. 

Before long, U.S. Robotics' executives had no choice but to fire all of their well-paid Average American assemblers and relocate production to China/Asia, to keep their company competitive with the flood of imported goods.

Most Average Americans don't realize how we're being screwed by Globalization because the economy had been remarkably resilient. Business Week proclaimed a "new economy" in service/information jobs when manufacturing started fleeing the United States. My father's new neighbor used to manage a machine shop that stamped out parts for computer cases. Now he's a realtor - my impression is that the career transition was not voluntary. Record U.S. trade and U.S. Feral Government budget deficits should indicate that this resiliency is only temporary.

Many of us "doom-and-gloomers" believe that a recession is inevitable, or (according to the shadow stats guy) is already underway. While recessions create temporary hardships for Average Americans (and people living in other geographic locales too), this coming economic restructuring is of critical importance to re-allocate stolen wealth back into the pockets of Average Americans.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Looks interesting, any way to find it online?
S

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
can't find it anywhere.  :(

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
click the amazon link in the OP - there are second hand (or is it 'pre-owned') copies for sale..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
click the amazon link in the OP - there are second hand (or is it 'pre-owned') copies for sale..

all you have to do is step outside for 10 minutes to realize HOW THE AVERAGE GUY GETS SCREWED.

Gas taxes
Sales Tax
Phone Tax
Energy Tax
SS Tax
Fica tax
DMV Tax
Income Tax
Property Tax
Capital Gains Tax
Use Fees
Permit Fees
Tickets
Fines
Surcharges

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Found a copy @ the library.  :)

psikeyhackr

• Getbig I
Yeah, I read it in 1976.  As a result I concluded that there had to be something wrong with what I was taught about economics in college.  So I decided to read Samuelson's ECONOMICS from cover to cover if necessary to find what was wrong.

Eventually I wrote this:

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

We are running the planet on defective algebra and using Planned Obsolescence to create jobs.

psik

Erik C

• Getbig IV
Yeah, I read it in 1976.  As a result I concluded that there had to be something wrong with what I was taught about economics in college.  So I decided to read Samuelson's ECONOMICS from cover to cover if necessary to find what was wrong.

Eventually I wrote this:

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

We are running the planet on defective algebra and using Planned Obsolescence to create jobs.

psik

While Cursing The System, And Bemoaning Your Existence May Be Neurotically Satisfying, Pulling Yourself Up By Your Boot Straps, Works Better To Change Your Personal Situation.

David Hapgood Wrote A Follow Up Book: THE AVERAGE MAN FIGHTS BACK

psikeyhackr

• Getbig I
While Cursing The System, And Bemoaning Your Existence May Be Neurotically Satisfying, Pulling Yourself Up By Your Boot Straps, Works Better To Change Your Personal Situation.

David Hapgood Wrote A Follow Up Book: THE AVERAGE MAN FIGHTS BACK

You can assume that I am neurotic and did not know about the sequel if you want.

But there was not much said about CO2 changing the climate in 1974, or 76 when I read the book.

But with all of the chatter about a sustainable economy today where is CO2 produced by planned obsolescence discussed?  Are you saying economists ignoring Demand Side Depreciation is neurotic or that I am for pointing it out?

psik