Author Topic: yo tbombz  (Read 10008 times)

foxboro

• Getbig I
Re: yo tbombz
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
clearly, i did not. going back to lurking now...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
Less then 60g (I think). It was when he was training for one of the O's - I think the 1981 but I could be wrong.

Please produce links, i don't find that believable without them.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
total sets should be no more than 10-12 for large bodyparts

8 sets or so for smaller bodyparts

you should be in and out of the gym in no more than an hour sometimes 45 minutes

Lee Haney always said..... "stimulate don't annihilate" you don't beat a muscle up with 35 sets...... coax it into growing with 10-12 sets! IMHO

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
Less then 60g (I think). It was when he was training for one of the O's - I think the 1981 but I could be wrong.
Rimbaud is right...... it was 60-80 grams of protein and Padilla would take in higher carbs...... he was following the lead of Mentzer who believed in lower amounts of protein and higher intake of carbs. I know I read that as well.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
pumpster I read that Padilla did keep his protein lower and carbs higher

he actaully reached his best ever condition with this dieting philosophy.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
Did you notice the sarcasm?
I was serious!!

(more sarcasm of course) LOL  :)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
wes if you had done 15 sets for shoulders and youve been going very heavy and hitting failure on about every set and repping in the 8-12 range..., and you noticed on your 15th set that your shoulders werent fatigued yet, that the blood was still pumping harder and harder into the delts, that you felt like you had alot more left in your delts. would you stop at 15 or keep going? what if you felt that way after 25 sets? 30?   

:)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
wes if you had done 15 sets for shoulders and youve been going very heavy and hitting failure on about every set and repping in the 8-12 range..., and you noticed on your 15th set that your shoulders werent fatigued yet, that the blood was still pumping harder and harder into the delts, that you felt like you had alot more left in your delts. would you stop at 15 or keep going? what if you felt that way after 25 sets? 30?   

no offense tbombz, but the answer to your question depends on what it is that triggers hypertrophy. I doubt that "feeling" a muscle blow-up is indicative of hypertrophy, unless ofcourse you have evidence for this. We should never go by feeling, just because we feel like it... only if the science, or solid experience says it is true (I say experience because the 'science' of bodybuilding is relatively poorly researched).

What I am trying to say is that something may seem intuitively right, but it may in fact be totally wrong! For example, some one may feel, as many novice trainers do, that working out each muscle everyday produces the best training results. But ofcourse we know that the science and experience goes contrary to this. Now we await the evidence for "feeling" the pump in the muscle and its correlation to hypertrophy  8)
follow the arrows

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »
If you've been doing this.........
wes if you had done 15 sets for shoulders and youve been going very heavy and hitting failure on about every set and repping in the 8-12 range...,

This wouldn't be possible........  ;)
and you noticed on your 15th set that your shoulders werent fatigued yet, that the blood was still pumping harder and harder into the delts, that you felt like you had alot more left in your delts. would you stop at 15 or keep going? what if you felt that way after 25 sets? 30?  

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
no offense tbombz, but the answer to your question depends on what it is that triggers hypertrophy. I doubt that "feeling" a muscle blow-up is indicative of hypertrophy, unless ofcourse you have evidence for this. We should never go by feeling, just because we feel like it... only if the science, or solid experience says it is true (I say experience because the 'science' of bodybuilding is relatively poorly researched).

What I am trying to say is that something may seem intuitively right, but it may in fact be totally wrong! For example, some one may feel, as many novice trainers do, that working out each muscle everyday produces the best training results. But ofcourse we know that the science and experience goes contrary to this. Now we await the evidence for "feeling" the pump in the muscle and its correlation to hypertrophy  8)

i agree with you very much.

research the science behind what triggers hypertrophy. trauma to the muscle. beat the shit out of the mother fucker. thats what does it, thats what kick starts the process and activates satellite cells and ramps up sarcoplasm volume and triggers all sorts of various anabolic pathways and signals for all kinds of various anabolic hormones. 

the question is, how much trauma is too much ?  well i think that as long as you keep feeling increasingly swole and energetic as the sets go on, then you havent done too much yet. 

some days it will be after 15 sets, sometimes 35. thats a refelection of changing nutrient intake, changing hormonal levels, rest between last workout, etc etc.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 03:36:46 AM »
You have to develop a better mind/muscle connection if you are going sloely by "feel".........otherwise ,you might end up in the gym doing delts for days!!
 ::)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »

I remember reading this in Flex or something about five years ago. I'll dig around & see what I can find though.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 07:10:19 AM »

According to the link below it was around 80 grams.

http://strength-oldschool.com/forum/index.php?topic=343.0

However, I could swear the article I read said he went even lower. But like I said I read it five or so years ago.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »

research the science behind what triggers hypertrophy. trauma to the muscle. beat the shit out of the mother fucker. thats what does it, thats what kick starts the process and activates satellite cells and ramps up sarcoplasm volume and triggers all sorts of various anabolic pathways and signals for all kinds of various anabolic hormones. 

the question is, how much trauma is too much ?  well i think that as long as you keep feeling increasingly swole and energetic as the sets go on, then you havent done too much yet. 

some days it will be after 15 sets, sometimes 35. thats a refelection of changing nutrient intake, changing hormonal levels, rest between last workout, etc etc.

candy studies are showing that volume has to be moderate and not excessive for maximum hypertrophy. You are hindering your gains by the excessive volume, and limiting growth. Check out the meta study thread i started and click the full paper for details. 8)
175lbs by 31st July

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »

I am in agreement.

Some days I have more in the tank than others, and I always empty that bitch.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »
You have to develop a better mind/muscle connection if you are going sloely by "feel".........otherwise ,you might end up in the gym doing delts for days!!
 ::)

i dont understand what your trying to say, although i do understand that you didnt answer the question i asked you.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 03:40:29 AM »
i dont understand what your trying to say, although i do understand that you didnt answer the question i asked you.
What I mean is that if it takes you that many sets to feel your shoulders have done enough work,your mind/muscle connection must suck or you just don`t know how to train..........I`ll go with my latter assumption.

Way too many uneccesary sets dude...........trust me,somethings wrong.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29:38 PM »
What I mean is that if it takes you that many sets to feel your shoulders have done enough work,your mind/muscle connection must suck or you just don`t know how to train..........I`ll go with my latter assumption.

LOL, he won't listen or learn, but you are right. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »
LOL, he won't listen or learn, but you are right. :)
I know,he never listens to me.............or anyone else either! 

Oh well !   :)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »

oh....i get it... so because one thing might be true for you, then you assume it has to be true for everyone else.

thats cool, i wouldnt expect much else from you, old men are always stubborn and hard headed...and your what, like 70 now? dont worry grandpa you can fantasize about how in your day you were able to outlift me...  ;D   just kidding i love you wes

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
oh....i get it... so because one thing might be true for you, then you assume it has to be true for everyone else.

thats cool, i wouldnt expect much else from you, old men are always stubborn and hard headed...and your what, like 70 now? dont worry grandpa you can fantasize about how in your day you were able to outlift me...  ;D   just kidding i love you wes

candy seriously have you read that meta study?

it clearly shows medium volume being better for hypertrophy than low or high by quite a margin.

what is your thoughts on this regarding your clearly high volume approach?
175lbs by 31st July

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »
i agree with chaos man if your going pretty much all out for 15 or so sets your not going to feel like you can do another 15. 30+ sets to me means either you have alot of warm up sets or you arent really pushing yourself weight wise on most of them.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »

thats cool, i wouldnt expect much else from you, old men are always stubborn and hard headed...and your what, like 70 now? dont worry grandpa you can fantasize about how in your day you were able to outlift me...  ;D   just kidding i love you wes

I love you too kid!!  LOL  :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »
candy seriously have you read that meta study?

it clearly shows medium volume being better for hypertrophy than low or high by quite a margin.

The study's just confirms common sense. It's the sprinter analogy-take an up-close look at the size of thighs on women sprinters; the hear to training's full-intensity sprints analagous to sets. I used to be a sprinter and can vouch for the similarities.

Doing more volume's just putting off the work-some things are immutable truths for everyone, it's not an individual thing-you can't work out extremely hard AND long especially for purposes of increasing size. One or the other of those two has to be compromised, or both.

Someone who is doing excessive volume is either too lazy to get to business faster and burn the muscle out and/or likes the flow of long workouts without excessive stress, or is grinding the muscle down with endless sets of volume with what amounts to endurance work and diminishing returns. Fine as personal preferences, but admit that it's a personal bias in terms of training.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »
The study's just confirms common sense. It's the sprinter analogy-take an up-close look at the size of thighs on women sprinters; the hear to training's full-intensity sprints analagous to sets. I used to be a sprinter and can vouch for the similarities.

Doing more volume's just putting off the work-some things are immutable truths for everyone, it's not an individual thing-you can't work out extremely hard AND long especially for purposes of increasing size. One or the other of those two has to be compromised, or both.

Someone who is doing excessive volume is either too lazy to get to business faster and burn the muscle out and/or likes the flow of long workouts without excessive stress, or is grinding the muscle down with endless sets of volume with what amounts to endurance work and diminishing returns. Fine as personal preferences, but admit that it's a personal bias in terms of training.

i think you are right, personally i hate high volume, it burns me out, my strength stagnates, and i lose interest having to workout for 2 hours+ every workout.
175lbs by 31st July