Author Topic: Kings of Leon: Another Band I Don't Get  (Read 7165 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: Kings of Leon: Another Band I Don't Get
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
good luck bro,you seem to be very intelligent

thanks man, i appreciate the sentiment.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
Other than live performances, how do you see musicians making money going forward? The CD model, for all intents, is dead, as everyone is downloading. I don't even see the need for record labels anymore. Their main value was in distribution. Now, there's nothing to distribute. An artist can just record his music and post it on his webpage.

As an aside, Kings of Leon wouldn't want to follow this band in its prime.

First off, thin lizzy, have you seen "from a whisper to a scream: a history of irish music?" it is fantastic.

as for the industry, i think that radiohead showed that you don't need a label for distribution.  Myspace/facebook/band web pages are all that is needed, because recording quality sounding music is unbelievably cheap these days.  granted it might not have the crispness of a modern u2 album, if you can't get your basic idea across with basic recording equipment, you're in trouble (basic meaning pro tools, m-hardware, midi, decent mics. nirvana recorded all of in utero with a shure SM57 and got some great sounds.  thats not expensive in the slightest, well, relatively).  Digital download is the new distribution, and it makes perfect sense.  Record companies are only necessary for the money aimed at advertising.  yes, they buy those covers on rolling stone, blender, etc... they just don't word it like that.  but i assure you, they pay for that "advertising."  now, we see the resurgence of the indie scene in pop music because the record companies have learned that a "scene" advertises itself, via clothing, hairstyles, sound, and area.  Portland gave us conner oberst/bright eyes, postal service, m. ward, and the decembrists.  they all collaborated (on postal service), and they marketed themselves via their scene.  Its brilliant,  but it works. but anyway, the new music industry way to make money is this:

hit single or scene to latch on to/create (buzz)
digital download (distribution)
live show (money)

I wish there was more to it, but thats all it is anymore.  I think that eventualy record companies will re-emerge as a power by offering songs for uber cheap (like 39 cents a song), and marketing the bands.  Record companies will return to what they were initially: the street team.

again, this is all just my opinion.  i could be dead wrong.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
Not all self taught guitar players are bad..
Yngwie Malmsteen is a self taught guitarist for example.
kurt cobain.
A

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »

again, this is all just my opinion.  i could be dead wrong.
No. That's pretty damn good. Off the top of my head, I'd add distribution (Rock Band, radio rights, etc), licensing, and merchandising. Still lots of money to be made, just different pie charts.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
santana?
Started out as a studio slave, then went really independent, now seems to be retired as a guitar for hire. I've seen him and his band many times and he just loves making music. Devadip FTW!   

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »
No. That's pretty damn good. Off the top of my head, I'd add distribution (Rock Band, radio rights, etc), licensing, and merchandising. Still lots of money to be made, just different pie charts.

the problem is that radio is owned by the record companies and they play the same songs over and over and over.  Licencing and merchandising comes into play only if you're at the radio level these days, at least large scale like rock band and guitar hero.  You can sell merch at your shows, and maybe get a song on a movie soundtrack or videogame.  its really hard these days, but the industry has painted itself into a bit of a corner, and that backlash has only begun.  the next big overhaul is starting to occur in the concert industry.  Prices are going to fall drasticaly, because they are ridiculous.  the artists aren't reaping anything from the prices that these companies like livenation and ticketmaster are charging, and the fees are only hurting everything.  U2 has annouced they will be selling tickets at recession buster prices, as low as 30 dollars.  U2 is able to do this because they are the biggest concert act around, but other bands don't have that liberty, or, most importantly, that power. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »
the problem is that radio is owned by the record companies and they play the same songs over and over and over.  Licencing and merchandising comes into play only if you're at the radio level these days, at least large scale like rock band and guitar hero.  You can sell merch at your shows, and maybe get a song on a movie soundtrack or videogame.  its really hard these days, but the industry has painted itself into a bit of a corner, and that backlash has only begun.  the next big overhaul is starting to occur in the concert industry.  Prices are going to fall drasticaly, because they are ridiculous.  the artists aren't reaping anything from the prices that these companies like livenation and ticketmaster are charging, and the fees are only hurting everything.  U2 has annouced they will be selling tickets at recession buster prices, as low as 30 dollars.  U2 is able to do this because they are the biggest concert act around, but other bands don't have that liberty, or, most importantly, that power. 
Wow. You've done some real good thinking about this. Aces. Give me a PM on some of your favs - old and new - I'd love to hear what you have to say.

/and yes, there's more than a few of us who like the good stuff  :)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
Wow. You've done some real good thinking about this. Aces. Give me a PM on some of your favs - old and new - I'd love to hear what you have to say.

/and yes, there's more than a few of us who like the good stuff  :)

Pm sent my friend.  please reciprocate.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
Not all self taught guitar players are bad..
Yngwie Malmsteen is a self taught guitarist for example.

dime was self taught
james hetfield was self taught but he knew how to play piano before hand
and myself of course \m/

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »
I disagree.  I think the edge is not very good at all.  He couldn't play basic rock 'n roll covers because he only knows how to make noises with electronic effects. 

I actually meant the bit in brackets to say "i wouldn't say a great one".

I'll give him good but not great. And like you say, far too reliant on effects. I'd say the same for Tom Morello.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
I actually meant the bit in brackets to say "i wouldn't say a great one".

I'll give him good but not great. And like you say, far too reliant on effects. I'd say the same for Tom Morello.

The edge has written the musical structure to a lot of highly respected and hit songs, he's doing something right.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
The edge has written the musical structure to a lot of highly respected and hit songs, he's doing something right.

edge is not a good wrestler at all

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »
edge is not a good wrestler at all

the edge is also an ugly car

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!