Author Topic: Kings of Leon: Another Band I Don't Get  (Read 7163 times)

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
Re: Kings of Leon: Another Band I Don't Get
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
Amon Amarth

Dimmu Borgir

Slayer

Sepultura

Kreator

these are good bands!!!!!!!!
Ta ta nerds!

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
Amon Amarth

Dimmu Borgir

Slayer

Sepultura

Kreator

slayer are good live

saw them at the download festival a couple of years ago

but machine head stole the show
T

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »

Slayer

Sepultura

Kreator

these are were good bands but haven't released anything good in years!!!!

Fixed. 

Dummy Burger are compete and total utter fucking wank but Amon Amarth are good. 

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »
ACDC rule

Amen to that brother. For those about to rock, i salute you.

P.S. i don't mind the KoL.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »
Success in the music industry has little to do with musical ability.  If you doubt this, think about The Jonas Brothers, Brittney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Lady GaGa, U2 etc.

I actually am a drummer, and I can smoke the guy from Kings of Leon.
Smoke his bone maybe.

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
Success in the music industry has little to do with musical ability.  If you doubt this, think about The Jonas Brothers, Brittney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Lady GaGa, U2 etc.

Well instead of bashing Kings of Leon, maybe you should get off your ass and make some great music! I don't mean this in a put down.. IF you are that good and have a talent showcase it....

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
I dont rate them either

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
Amon Amarth

Dimmu Borgir

Slayer

Sepultura

Kreator

Dethklok FTW.
Deep Tissue Massage

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

??While u2 are not the most technical band, to imply that they don't have musical ability (of which they have a disgusting amount based upon their unheard of reign at the top of music) only highlights your ignorance.  I have never heard a band do a good cover of U2, there is a reason for that.

for instance, from 4:50 on there is not another band that has a singer capable of that falsetto, then scream while maintaining that type of vocal purity (save for maybe freddy mercury, RIP).  also notice the originality of the guitar solo and the tightness of the rythm section:

or this, hard to find another band anywhere this tight:

You play drums huh? I play:

piano
bass
guitar
harmonica
pedal steel guitar (widely considered the hardest instrument in the world)

and guess what, it doesn't matter.  one's ability to play an instrument does not make one a qualified music critic. Even if you could smoke the drummer of kings of leon, he's in a world famous rock band, you're posting on an internet board.  he wins.

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Damn, people always try to turn music into some sort of homework assignment.  I feel like there is some test out there I need to take to determine if I have the proper tastes in music.  For christ's sake it's music!!!  Let people listen to what ever the hell they feel like listening to.  And as for the really good bands, stop putting them on ridiculously high pedestals they never will live up to.  The Beatles were just a band.  Led Zeppelin = just a band.  The Clash = just a band.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
Damn, people always try to turn music into some sort of homework assignment.  I feel like there is some test out there I need to take to determine if I have the proper tastes in music.  For christ's sake it's music!!!  Let people listen to what ever the hell they feel like listening to.  And as for the really good bands, stop putting them on ridiculously high pedestals they never will live up to.  The Beatles were just a band.  Led Zeppelin = just a band.  The Clash = just a band.

There is no proper taste in music man.  I love bob dylan, mos def, metallica, u2, brad paisley, the list goes on.  if they can write a good song, i'm into it.  There is an unecessary amount of hate out there  when it comes to musicians, and it often has to do with "technical ability" or how difficult it is to play.  Well, difficulty almost never equates to a formula for good music, but a lot of douche bags sure think it does.

As for kings of leon, they aren't amazingly talented, but they write good songs, and more importantly, great singles. "Sex on fire" has all the qualities needed for a hit song.

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
There is no proper taste in music man.  I love bob dylan, mos def, metallica, u2, brad paisley, the list goes on.  if they can write a good song, i'm into it.  There is an unecessary of hate out there  when it comes to musicians, and it often has to do with "technical ability" or how difficult it is to play.  Well, difficulty almost never equates to a formula for good music, but a lot of douche bags sure think it does.

Exactly!  Case in point:  Dream Theater.  Probably the most technically advanced band ever.  Not very fun to listen to.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »

no they weren't you fucking queer.
Deep Tissue Massage

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »
skillz are everything for some people...for me too
i listen to rap, a genre where skillz are very important...i would never ever listen to a clown like 50 cent,you have to listen to guys like BIG L and co to understand the greatness of rap

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »
skillz are everything for some people...for me too
i listen to rap, a genre where skillz are very important...i would never ever listen to a clown like 50 cent,you have to listen to guys like BIG L and co to understand the greatness of rap

ok, but mos def, talib kweili, and common are not amazingly fast, but they have badass beats and lyrics, is that skilled in your mind or do they not "spit it" quick enough for your tastes.  or what about dell the funky homo sapien?

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
ok, but mos def, talib kweili, and common are not amazingly fast, but they have badass beats and lyrics, is that skilled in your mind or do they not "spit it" quick enough for your tastes.  or what about dell the funky homo sapien?

mos def,talib and common are among the best rappers definitaly
it's not about the speed,it's about the lyrics and the technique...some guys rhyme very simple for example 50:suck-fuck etc
and then you have guys who rhyme a whole line on another line...these are great skillz for me for example killa cam

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
mos def,talib and common are among the best rappers definitaly
it's not about the speed,it's about the lyrics and the technique...some guys rhyme very simple for example 50:suck-fuck etc
and then you have guys who rhyme a whole line on another line...these are great skillz for me for example killa cam

ok, i just wanted to see if we were on the same page.  I can't stand most mainstream rappers, cept for luda, he's badass live, i was a luda hater till i saw him live i admit.  mos, kweli and common are my favs, i also really like old school NWA, public enemy... the roots earlier stuff, like illadelph half life was really good. after that, especialy that album with "the seed" they got a lil lost.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
ok, i just wanted to see if we were on the same page.  I can't stand most mainstream rappers, cept for luda, he's badass live, i was a luda hater till i saw him live i admit.  mos, kweli and common are my favs, i also really like old school NWA, public enemy... the roots earlier stuff, like illadelph half life was really good. after that, especialy that album with "the seed" they got a lil lost.

we seem to like the same guys,old school is great though their skillz are not top notch
from the new guys i like lupe fiasco the most

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
we seem to like the same guys,old school is great though their skillz are not top notch
from the new guys i like lupe fiasco the most

does he do that conflict diamonds song?  if so, yeah, he's tight, been meaning to check out more of his stuff. to branch out a little into the hip hop/ R&B genre, i still am bummed that lauryn hill lost her mind, because i very much enjoyed the miseducation album, and her work with the fugees.  she was really good.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
does he do that conflict diamonds song?  if so, yeah, he's tight, been meaning to check out more of his stuff. to branch out a little into the hip hop/ R&B genre, i still am bummed that lauryn hill lost her mind, because i very much enjoyed the miseducation album, and her work with the fugees.  she was really good.

listen to go go gadget flow from lupe

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:46 PM »
Jedi Mind Tricks
Wu-tang
Gza (solo stuff)
Non-phixion
Immortal Technique
Sage Francis
Kanye, Common, Talib
public enemy
tribe called quest

just to name a few

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
Jedi Mind Tricks
Wu-tang
Gza (solo stuff)
Non-phixion
Immortal Technique
Sage Francis
Kanye, Common, Talib
public enemy
tribe called quest

just to name a few

i agree except for kanye
he is a superb producer but bad rapper IMO
i gotta say i love his singing...i love his arrogance and ignorance,cause he knows he can't sing but still makes an album on which he only sings...with autotune but hey he at least he sings

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
i agree except for kanye
he is a superb producer but bad rapper IMO
i gotta say i love his singing...i love his arrogance and ignorance,cause he knows he can't sing but still makes an album on which he only sings...with autotune but hey he at least he sings

Yeah, I agree.  I pretty much stop listening to his lyrics after he said, "I'd give anything for a Klondike, and I'd give anything for a blond dike."

But, 808 and Heartbreaks does have an improvement in lyrical quality.  Production still amazing. 

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  I pretty much stop listening to his lyrics after he said, "I'd give anything for a Klondike, and I'd give anything for a blond dike."

But, 808 and Heartbreaks does have an improvement in lyrical quality.  Production still amazing. 

not many guys who produced so many great beats