Author Topic: Pro-life group calls on Notre Dame to rescind Obama invite  (Read 7944 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Pro-life group calls on Notre Dame to rescind Obama invite
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
I understand why some ppl would be upset but he is the president of the UNITED STATES and if he is not coming to talk about abortion then you know what you arent going to agree with a president on all things so let it go.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
Having the president speak at your commencement is the highest honored guest you can have on your graduation day. Obama should just phone them when he gets back from Europe and say, "Sorry, I've made plans to be in HI with my daughters teaching them how to surf. Maybe next time."  :P

I personally don't remember who spoke at my commencement. It wasn't somebody I liked and I was hung over.  ;D Bill Cosby spoke at our freshmen Convocation and that was cool. Also we had Bill Clinton come and give a speech at one time. I was in the front row and shook his hand.

From the Los Angeles Times
Editorial
Notre Dame's Obama flap
Attempts to disinvite the president as commencement speaker are an unwelcome intrusion of religion into academic life.

April 1, 2009

After Barack Obama was elected president, Pope Benedict XVI sent him a congratulatory letter. So did Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. At the time, neither the Vatican nor the Catholic bishops were under any illusion about Obama's opposition to outlawing abortion, a position that obviously put him at odds with the church's agenda. That didn't prevent them from welcoming a dialogue with the new president or offering to work with him in common pursuits.

The same can't be said of conservative Catholics who are lobbying Notre Dame University, the best-known Catholic institution of higher learning in the country, to rescind an invitation to Obama to speak at its commencement in May and accept an honorary degree. Led by the Cardinal Newman Society, a self-appointed guardian of orthodoxy, the protesters seem to believe they are more Catholic than the pope.

The argument against Obama's appearance at Notre Dame is that it's incompatible with the church's opposition to abortion and the use of embryonic stem cells in medical research. But a similar charge could have been leveled against the 2001 appearance at the university of George W. Bush, who as governor of Texas presided over scores of executions. Although the church's objections to the death penalty aren't as absolute as its opposition to abortion, U.S. bishops have taught since 1980 that "the legitimate purposes of punishment do not justify the imposition of the death penalty." For them, the death penalty is also a "life" issue.

Catholics in America -- clergy and lay people alike -- are divided over whether the church should equate political support for legal abortion with moral approval of the procedure. In 2004, the archbishop of St. Louis threatened to deny Holy Communion to Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, a pro-choice Catholic. Other bishops, including Cardinal Roger M. Mahony of Los Angeles, leave it to pro-choice Catholic officials to search their own consciences.

Of course, the issue at Notre Dame isn't whether Obama, a Protestant, should be welcomed to a Catholic Communion rail. It's whether a distinguished university should ban a speaker with whom it disagrees or engage him, as the pro-life evangelical pastor Rick Warren did when he invited Obama to speak at his church. Notre Dame's decision reflects a historic development in the way Catholic universities are viewed by Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

Thanks in part to the Second Vatican Council, the last four decades have seen a once- unthinkable integration of Catholics into the American mainstream. As part of that development, Catholic universities have attracted students and faculty of all religious backgrounds by combining their identification with the church with the principle of open discussion.

Sometimes that requires a balancing act, and there are voices in the church advocating what they see as the "re-Catholicizing" of institutions such as Notre Dame or Georgetown University. These critics took some comfort in a speech by Benedict last year in Washington, in which he told Catholic educators that academic freedom couldn't justify a Catholic university's endorsement of "positions that contradict the faith and the teaching of the church."

But the pope's mandate is consistent with the position adopted by Notre Dame in the Obama controversy. The university's president, the Rev. John Jenkins, has emphasized that the invitation to Obama "should in no way be taken as condoning or endorsing his positions on specific issues regarding the protection of life, such as abortion and embryonic stem cell research."

It isn't just Catholic universities that sometimes need to be reminded of the importance of uninhibited debate. In 1974, students at Yale drowned out a speech by the physicist William Shockley because they objected to his views about race and intelligence. In 2007, President Lee Bollinger of Columbia University rightly resisted calls that he cancel an appearance by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad -- and then "welcomed" Ahmadinejad with a litany of denunciations. The attempt to have Notre Dame disinvite Obama is only one example of the impulse to censor dissenting views in an environment that should welcome them. In resisting that campaign, Notre Dame has kept faith with both its religious and its academic missions.
!

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »
There are Catholics who are pro-choice

True, I would even wager that a significant majority of baptized Catholics don't even give a fuck about abortion. I live in New York and have a lot of Italian, practicing Catholic friends who fall into that Category.

However, we're not talking about opinions of individuals. The position of the organization is very strongly anti-abortion- to the point where they encourage people to vote with that position in mind. This isn't just an "agree to disagree" issue for the church as an organization.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »
I was born and raised Catholic and I think abortion should be allowed under certain circumstances but I'm not religious and to put it mildly, the morning after pill has saved my ass on more than one occassion- That being said, I have absolutely no problem with Notre Dame revoking the invite. Abortion is a non-negotiable proposition in the view of most catholics, religious christians and, I'd say most religious jews and practically all musilms. Given Notre Dames almost infallible stature as the countries most famous and renown Catholic University , it is nonsensical to have Barry speak at the commencement. 

For all my brothas on the board, it would be SELLING OUT TO THE MAN. Even though in this case, its a black man.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
I was born and raised Catholic and I think abortion should be allowed under certain circumstances but I'm not religious and to put it mildly, the morning after pill has saved my ass on more than one occassion- That being said, I have absolutely no problem with Notre Dame revoking the invite. Abortion is a non-negotiable proposition in the view of most catholics, religious christians and, I'd say most religious jews and practically all musilms. Given Notre Dames almost infallible stature as the countries most famous and renown Catholic University , it is nonsensical to have Barry speak at the commencement. 

For all my brothas on the board, it would be SELLING OUT TO THE MAN. Even though in this case, its a black man.

it's really hard to confront the absurdity of religion

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »
True, I would even wager that a significant majority of baptized Catholics don't even give a fuck about abortion. I live in New York and have a lot of Italian, practicing Catholic friends who fall into that Category.

However, we're not talking about opinions of individuals. The position of the organization is very strongly anti-abortion- to the point where they encourage people to vote with that position in mind. This isn't just an "agree to disagree" issue for the church as an organization.

Editorial
Notre Dame's Obama flap
Attempts to disinvite the president as commencement speaker are an unwelcome intrusion of religion into academic life.

April 1, 2009

After Barack Obama was elected president, Pope Benedict XVI sent him a congratulatory letter. So did Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. At the time, neither the Vatican nor the Catholic bishops were under any illusion about Obama's opposition to outlawing abortion, a position that obviously put him at odds with the church's agenda. That didn't prevent them from welcoming a dialogue with the new president or offering to work with him in common pursuits.

The same can't be said of conservative Catholics who are lobbying Notre Dame University, the best-known Catholic institution of higher learning in the country, to rescind an invitation to Obama to speak at its commencement in May and accept an honorary degree. Led by the Cardinal Newman Society, a self-appointed guardian of orthodoxy, the protesters seem to believe they are more Catholic than the pope.

The argument against Obama's appearance at Notre Dame is that it's incompatible with the church's opposition to abortion and the use of embryonic stem cells in medical research. But a similar charge could have been leveled against the 2001 appearance at the university of George W. Bush, who as governor of Texas presided over scores of executions. Although the church's objections to the death penalty aren't as absolute as its opposition to abortion, U.S. bishops have taught since 1980 that "the legitimate purposes of punishment do not justify the imposition of the death penalty." For them, the death penalty is also a "life" issue.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 12:46:17 AM »

It's President BARACK Obama, "Georgie."  ::)

Notre Dame's Obama flap
April 1, 2009

Catholics are without a doubt the dumbest and most lost of my Christian brothers and sisters.  ;D

This will all probably help to decrease ND's applications for enrollment in the future, so their stupidity will also be their financial loss.
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »
10 Holy Cross Priests Voice Objection to Notre Dame for Obama Invitation
The members of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, which helps run the university, asked the Holy Cross priest who is Notre Dame's president and the university's board of fellows to reconsider the invitation to President Obama because he supports abortion rights.

AP

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Ten priests from the order that founded the University of Notre Dame say the school risks its "true soul" and could distance itself from the Roman Catholic church by inviting President Barack Obama to campus next month.

The members of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, which helps run the university, asked the Rev. John Jenkins, the Holy Cross priest who is Notre Dame's president, and the university's board of fellows to reconsider the invitation to Obama because he supports abortion rights.

"Failure to do so will damage the integrity of the institution," said the letter published Wednesday in Notre Dame Observer.

Notre Dame announced last month that Obama would deliver the university's May 17 commencement address and receive an honorary degree. The decision by the nation's best-known Catholic university sparked widespread anger among many Catholics who said Notre Dame should not honor someone whose policies on abortion and stem cell research clash with core church teachings on human life.

Hundreds of abortion opponents protested on campus Sunday, and the priests said the invitation has opened a "fissure" between Notre Dame and many bishops. More than a dozen bishops have denounced Obama's appearance, including Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Jenkins has said the university does not condone all of Obama's policies, and spokesman Dennis Brown has said Notre Dame does not plan to rescind the invitation.

"We respect the opinions of members of the Holy Cross community and others," Brown said.

Obama would be the ninth U.S. president to receive an honorary degree from Notre Dame and sixth sitting president to address graduates. Other commencement speakers have included Dwight Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush.

Cecilia Prinster, president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, noted in a column also published in the campus newspaper that Obama policies in areas such as health care reform, economic security and environmental stewardship are in line with Catholic social teaching.

"Although we disagree with Mr. Obama on some core issues, we must not condemn," Prinster wrote.

But the Holy Cross priests reminded Notre Dame that U.S. bishops in 2004 adopted a statement that declared "Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors, or platforms which would suggest support for their actions."

The letter noted that this is Holy Week, when the church observes the events that culminated in the crucifixion of Jesus, and said Notre Dame "pursues a dangerous course when it allows itself to decide for and by itself what part of being a Catholic institution it will choose to embrace."

The university fellows, part of Notre Dame's governing structure, have several duties including one to ensure that Notre Dame maintain its Catholic character, according to Notre Dame's web site. Its 12 members include six Holy Cross priests, among them Jenkins and Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, Ill.

Jenky has not taken a public stand on the Obama invitation.

Brown, the Notre Dame spokesman, said the university also has received a letter from Cardinal George, but he declined to discuss its contents.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/09/holy-cross-priests-voice-objection-notre-dame-obama-invitation/

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
it's really hard to confront the absurdity of religion

You ain't lying... Fucking idiots.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
Notre Dame's Obama invite riles Catholic bishops
Posted 5/3/2009 2:16 AM ET    

By Eric Gorski, AP Religion Writer
This coming week, Bishop Thomas Wenski of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orlando, Fla., will take the unusual step of celebrating a Mass of Reparation, to make amends for sins against God. The motivation: to provide an outlet for Catholics upset with what Wenski calls the University of Notre Dame's "clueless" decision to invite President Barack Obama to speak at its commencement and receive an honorary doctorate May 17.

The nation's flagship Catholic university's honoring of a politician whose abortion rights record clashes with a fundamental church teaching has triggered a reaction among the nation's Catholic bishops that is remarkable in scope and tone, church observers say.

At least 55 bishops have publicly denounced or questioned Notre Dame in recent weeks, employing an arsenal of terms ranging from "travesty" and "debacle" to "extreme embarrassment."

The bishops' response is part of a decades-long march to make abortion the paramount issue for their activism, a marker of the kind of bishops Rome has sent to the U.S. and the latest front in a struggle over Catholic identity that has exposed rifts between hierarchy and flock.

Bishops who have spoken out so far account for 20 percent of the roughly 265 active U.S. bishops -- a minority, but more than double the number who suggested five years ago that then-Democratic presidential hopeful and Catholic John Kerry should either be refused Communion or refrain from it because of his abortion stance.

"I think they do believe the chips are down," said James Hitchock, a history professor at St. Louis University. "The election has changed the whole landscape. Now we have a strongly pro-abortion administration in power, and he's in a position to achieve what we've been trying to stave off now for years."

As for Wenski, he issued a statement and then came up with the Mass idea after angry Notre Dame graduates from central Florida asked for guidance about how to respond, he said in an interview.

"I figured, 'I'm a bishop -- I'm not going to tell them to attack Notre Dame with a pitchfork,'" said Wenski, who is not among the nation's more confrontational bishops. "I'm going to tell them to go pray."

Wenski said he will not "preach a tirade against Notre Dame" during the Monday night Mass at Orlando's Cathedral of St. James. What must be atoned for, Wenski said, is complacency among U.S. Catholics about the legal killing of unborn children, which contributed to the climate that allowed Notre Dame to think it was all right to honor Obama.

Almost immediately after Notre Dame invited Obama and he accepted, anti-abortion and conservative Catholic groups launched protests, and bishops began either making statements or releasing letters written to the university president, the Rev. John Jenkins.

Former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon turned down a prestigious Notre Dame medal last week because she was to have shared the stage with Obama.

The university has emphasized that Obama will be honored as an inspiring leader who broke a historic racial barrier -- not for his positions on abortion or embryonic stem cell research.

U.S. bishops have long been at the forefront of opposing legal abortion, but it's never been their sole focus. During the 1980s, the bishops issued pastoral letters on nuclear weapons, poverty and the economy, influenced by the late Chicago Cardinal Joseph Bernardin's concept of a "consistent ethic of life."

Many Catholic bishops, however, worried that abortion was getting shortchanged. Those who argue abortion trumps everything say that other issues are irrelevant without the beginning of life and that things like capital punishment and war are sometimes justified.

Bishops hammered that home in November 2007 with a statement on faithful citizenship that said: "The direct and intentional destruction of innocent human life is always wrong and is not just one issue among many."

Timothy Barnes, a Colgate University political scientist, said the Notre Dame clash gives bishops a chance to promote two of their top priorities: re-emphasizing abortion at a time when the issue is waning, and stressing the Catholic character of Catholic universities.

"If you put yourself in their shoes and see Notre Dame honoring a new president, a popular president, who seems to be a new kind of political figure trying to emphasize new issues and post-partisan politics, that would be something they would want to respond to pretty aggressively," he said. "The old divisions of the old politics, in certain sectors, is focused on abortion."

Polls show Catholics giving high job approval ratings to Obama, and Catholic attitudes about abortion and stem-cell research largely mirror the public's.

"I think the bishops who believe abortion is the ultimate litmus test look at the polls and realize Catholics are not listening to them," said the Rev. Mark Massa, co-director of the Curran Center for American Catholic Studies at Fordham University. "They're playing a very dangerous game because they do not have the moral authority they had before the sex abuse crisis, and they're trying to find a toehold and get heard."

So far, the Notre Dame saga doesn't seem to be resonating. Only about half of Catholics surveyed by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life from April 23 to 27 had heard about the controversy.

About half of U.S. Catholics supported Notre Dame, 28 percent said the school was wrong and 22 percent had no opinion, the poll found. People who attend Mass frequently were more likely to oppose the university's stance, and also gave Obama lower job performance marks.

R. Scott Appleby, a Notre Dame history professor, said the bishops' outspokenness points to a new litmus test -- not on whether abortion should be legal but over how to fight it.

"The litmus test is on 'How do we best change the policies and work for a culture of life?" Appleby said. "Many Catholics want to be open to at least discuss with the bishops the best way to move forward on our common goal. But the bishops have imposed this particular approach and have not felt it necessary to consult the faithful fully on that."

Several bishops have taken a harder line on perceived dissent. To them, Notre Dame is defying a 2004 bishops' statement on politics that says: "The Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions."

The bishops' response to Notre Dame also is part of the legacy of the man who appointed so many of them, said the Rev. Tom Reese, senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University. Pope John Paul II sought loyal servants who "were willing to take on the world -- willing to argue and debate and confront people," Reese said.

Wenski, the Orlando bishop, said bishops are not angry at Obama in this case, but the university leadership. Yet their disapproval "is also an expression of our frustration" with Obama administration decisions on funding for overseas groups that perform abortions, expanded embryonic stem cell research and "conscience clause" protections for health workers, he said.

On being a voice on abortion, Wenski said: "We've been doing this pretty consistently. Perhaps in the past, some bishops have been a little bit too indulgent of what we tolerate in some of the dissent."

Wenski also has spoken out about banning torture and finding a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants -- issues he said can be common causes for bishops and the White House.

"Bishops are like most other people," he said. "We really don't want to look for conflicts or fights. "But this has been egregious enough that we have to be clear. We're standing on principle, not looking for a battle."

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=honoluluadvertiser&sParam=30666791.story

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
Declining Notre Dame: A Letter from Mary Ann Glendon
By Mary Ann Glendon
Monday, April 27, 2009, 9:32 AM

April 27, 2009
The Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.
President
University of Notre Dame
Dear Father Jenkins,

When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame’s Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame’s most memorable commencement speeches. So I immediately began working on an acceptance speech that I hoped would be worthy of the occasion, of the honor of the medal, and of your students and faculty.

Last month, when you called to tell me that the commencement speech was to be given by President Obama, I mentioned to you that I would have to rewrite my speech. Over the ensuing weeks, the task that once seemed so delightful has been complicated by a number of factors.

First, as a longtime consultant to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, I could not help but be dismayed by the news that Notre Dame also planned to award the president an honorary degree. This, as you must know, was in disregard of the U.S. bishops’ express request of 2004 that Catholic institutions “should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles” and that such persons “should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.” That request, which in no way seeks to control or interfere with an institution’s freedom to invite and engage in serious debate with whomever it wishes, seems to me so reasonable that I am at a loss to understand why a Catholic university should disrespect it.

Then I learned that “talking points” issued by Notre Dame in response to widespread criticism of its decision included two statements implying that my acceptance speech would somehow balance the event:

• “President Obama won’t be doing all the talking. Mary Ann Glendon, the former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, will be speaking as the recipient of the Laetare Medal.”
• “We think having the president come to Notre Dame, see our graduates, meet our leaders, and hear a talk from Mary Ann Glendon is a good thing for the president and for the causes we care about.”

A commencement, however, is supposed to be a joyous day for the graduates and their families. It is not the right place, nor is a brief acceptance speech the right vehicle, for engagement with the very serious problems raised by Notre Dame’s decision—in disregard of the settled position of the U.S. bishops—to honor a prominent and uncompromising opponent of the Church’s position on issues involving fundamental principles of justice.

Finally, with recent news reports that other Catholic schools are similarly choosing to disregard the bishops’ guidelines, I am concerned that Notre Dame’s example could have an unfortunate ripple effect.
It is with great sadness, therefore, that I have concluded that I cannot accept the Laetare Medal or participate in the May 17 graduation ceremony.

In order to avoid the inevitable speculation about the reasons for my decision, I will release this letter to the press, but I do not plan to make any further comment on the matter at this time.
Yours Very Truly,
Mary Ann Glendon

Mary Ann Glendon is Learned Hand Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. A member of the editorial and advisory board of First Things , she served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Vatican from 2007 to 2009.

http://www.firstthings.com/blog/2009/04/27/declining-notre-dame-a-letter-from-mary-ann-glendon/

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »
Idiots.

Let's keep religion out of politics please.

Yes lets.Why is a CATHOLIC institution inviting a guy that stands for everything they are against and against everything they are for?A politician has no buisiness at Notre Dame.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
Yes lets.Why is a CATHOLIC institution inviting a guy that stands for everything they are against and against everything they are for?A politician has no buisiness at Notre Dame.

I agree. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »
Archbishop Slams Obama Appearance at Notre Dame, Administration's Abortion Policies
One of the Vatican's highest ranked clerics and a frequent critic of President Obama says Notre Dame's giving the president an honorary degree and a platform to address graduates at its commencement next weekend is a "scandal." 

FOXNews.com

Friday, May 08, 2009

One of the Vatican's highest ranked clerics and a frequent critic of President Obama said Friday that Notre Dame is causing a "scandal" by giving the president an honorary degree and a platform to address graduates at its commencement next weekend.

'The proposed granting of an honorary doctorate at Notre Dame University to our president, who is so aggressively advancing an anti-life and anti-family agenda, is rightly the source of the greatest scandal," said Archbishop Raymond Burke, who is the prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, the Vatican's highest court.

Burke, the former archbishop of St. Louis and vocal opponent of giving communion to politicians who support abortion rights, told Catholics at a national prayer breakfast in Washington, D.C., that "with unparalleled arrogance, our nation is choosing to renounce its foundation on the faithful."

He pointed to several Obama administration decisions that he said have damaged "the fundamental society that is the family," citing the repeal of the conscience clause, which prohibits health care workers from refusing to participate in abortion-related services; repeal of the Mexico City policy, which allows federal funding to be used abroad to provide abortions; presidential support of the Freedom of Choice Act, which prevents government from in any way denying or interfering with a woman's right to choose; and support of the U.S. Population Fund, which he noted supports China's one-child policy.

He blamed loose morals for legislation that would allow same-sex marriages and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, which states have implemented to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

"At the root of the confusion and error about marriage is the contraceptive mentality which would have us believe that the inherently procreative nature of the conjugal union can in practice be mechanically or chemically eliminated while the marital act remains unitive. It simply cannot be sold," Burke said.

Obama has considerable support from Catholics, having won 54 percent of the Catholic vote in the presidential election. In a Quinnipiac national poll released at the end of last month, 57 percent of Catholics said they approve of the way Obama is doing his job, while 33 percent disapproved.

By comparison, 76 percent of Jewish voters approved of Obama's performance while Protestants were the most split -- 44 percent approval to 42 percent disapproval. The poll had 2,041 registered voters

Burke noted the Catholic support, saying a majority of Catholics freely chose leadership that is now implementing decisions that conflict with the tenets of their faith.

"The path of violation of the most fundamental human rights and of the integrity of marriage and the family which our nation is traveling is not accidental," he said. "As Catholics, we cannot fail to notice with the greatest sadness the number of our fellow Catholics who cooperate fully to the advancement of a national agenda which is anti-life and anti-family."

The archbishop also slammed Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who was confirmed by the Senate last week on a 65-31 vote. Opponents cited her ties to an late-term abortion provider, George Tillman, who is a supporter of the former Kansas governor.

"The appointment of a Catholic as secretary of health and human services who has openly and consistently cooperated with the industry of procurative abortion in our nation is necessarily the source of the deepest embarrassment to Catholics and a painful reminder of the most serious responsibility of Catholics to uphold the moral law, which is the irreplaceable foundation of just relationships among the citizens of our nation," Burke said.

He added that it "grieves me to say that the support of anti-life legislation by Catholics in public office is so common that those who are not Catholics have justifiably questioned whether the church's teachings regarding the inviolable dignity of innocent human life is firm and unchanging. It gives the impression that the church herself can change the law that God has written on every human heart since the beginning of time."

After initial criticism of the invitation, Notre Dame University President Rev. John I. Jenkins called Obama an "inspiring leader" who follows in a long tradition of presidential guest speakers. He added that the invitation does not mean universal support for Obama administration policies.

"The invitation to President Obama to be our commencement speaker should not be taken as condoning or endorsing his positions on specific issues regarding the protection of human life, including abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Yet, we see his visit as a basis for further positive engagement," he said in a statement addressing the cricitism.

The White House also has heard the criticism about the president's appearance but is not deterred. The president "greatly looks forward to delivering the commencement address at Notre Dame" on May 17, said a spokesman.

"Any commencement is a very special occasion for students and families that are involved. I think Notre Dame has a strong record of healthy exchange of differing viewpoints and ideas," the spokesman said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/08/archbishop-slams-obama-appearance-notre-dame-administrations-abortion-policies/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
He really ought to decline the invitation. 

Some Notre Dame Students to Forego Commencement in Protest of Obama Visit
The University of Notre Dame is allowing its seniors to forego their college commencement Sunday to hold a prayer demonstration on the grounds of the university -- the latest protest against President Obama's controversial visit, which some students say undermines the school's Catholic identity.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The University of Notre Dame is allowing a group of seniors to hold a prayer demonstration on school grounds on Sunday, graduation day -- to protest President Obama's controversial visit, which the students say undermines the school's Catholic identity.

"The university isn't sponsoring it, but we've approved it," university spokesman Dennis Brown told FOXNews.com on Tuesday.

The demonstration -- spearheaded by the student group ND Response -- is in protest of the honorary law degree Obama will receive during Sunday's commencement. The group claims that by honoring Obama, the university is sanctioning his positions on abortion and embryonic stem cell research, which the Catholic church opposes.

"In defense of the unborn, we wish to express our deepest opposition to Reverend John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.'s invitation of President Barack Obama to be the University of Notre Dame's principal commencement speaker and the recipient of an honorary degree," the group states on its Web site.

ND Response has planned a prayer vigil on the university's South quadrangle during commencement to "bear prayerful witness" to Obama's speech, graduating senior Michele Sagala, who plans to attend the vigil, told FOXNews.com.

"While we respect the office of the president, we don't want to honor someone who goes so against fundamental Catholic beliefs," said Sagala, who added that 20 to 50 students are expected to attend the prayer service. About 1,800 students will graduate from the school on Sunday.

Former Republican presidential candidate Alan Keyes, who ran against Obama for the U.S. Senate seat in Illinois in 2004, also criticized the university's decision to honor Obama.

"The invitation was in and of itself a scandalous action," Keyes told FOXNews.com. Keyes announced that he is planning to go to Notre Dame this weekend and be arrested if necessary for protesting Obama's appearance.

"Scandal, as you know, induces others to sin," he said. "This is as great a crisis for the Catholic church as the crisis that occurred some years back with the abuse."

The White House has said Obama is enthusiastic about giving the commencement address, and the university's president has stated that his appearance does not mean that the university agrees with every policy of the administration.

But student John Daly said, "Obama's honorary law degree is a betrayal of what Notre Dame stands for." While Daly said he and others are not opposed to Obama sharing his ideas in an open academic forum, "the commencement address is a monologue. It's not a dialogue."

On Tuesday, ND Response released a professionally produced video -- similar to a Hollywood blockbuster trailer -- voicing clergy and students' opposition to the president's commencement appearance.

"Bestowing an honor on him is equal to bestowing an honor to those policies which are in very contradiction to Catholic teaching," one student is quoted as saying in the video.

"While there may be a diversity of opinion and academic debate, that is something that is welcomed, but not to the extent that it replaces the foundation of who we are," says another student.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday that the president is excited to be addressing students at Sunday's commencement. He said that while there is one group organizing a boycott, there are 23 groups that have formed in support of the invitation to have Obama speak.

"The valedictorian is supportive of the invitation," Gibbs told reporters. He added that public polling done by Pew shows "a majority of Catholics are in support of the invitation to speak at the commencement."

Gibbs also cautioned the press to recognize that those who are against the Obama's visit are in the minority. "I think it's important to understand it appears as if the vast majority of students and the majority of Catholics are supportive of the invitation the president accepted," he said. "And I know he's greatly looking forward to -- to seeing them."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/12/notre-dame-students-forego-commencement-protest-obama-visit/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »

Too bad for them. They should learn some tolerance.

They will only wind up regretting it that they didn't attend their own graduation.

If they are consistent in word and deed then theys should never take a job, buy a product, do business of any kind etc... from anyone who is pro-choice.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »

I don't see why.
Too bad for them. They should learn some tolerance.

They will only wind up regretting it that they didn't attend their own graduation.

If they are consistent in word and deed then theys should never take a job, buy a product, do business of any kind etc... from anyone who is pro-choice.

You know that's not gonna happen.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

Some Notre Dame Students to Forego Commencement in Protest of Obama Visit
The University of Notre Dame is allowing its seniors to forego their college commencement Sunday to hold a prayer demonstration on the grounds of the university -- the latest protest against President Obama's controversial visit, which some students say undermines the school's Catholic identity.

FOXNews.com

Please. I'll believe the sincerity of this political grandstanding when those same students stop attending ND football and basketball games because 80% of the team is not Catholic.  ::)
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »
Please. I'll believe the sincerity of this political grandstanding when those same students stop attending ND football and basketball games because 80% of the team is not Catholic.  ::)

The issue isn't whether the speaker (or football players) are Catholic, it's their position on abortion.  What these students and others are doing is pretty consistent with the position the Catholic leadership has taken on the abortion issue. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »
The issue isn't whether the speaker (or football players) are Catholic, it's their position on abortion.  What these students and others are doing is pretty consistent with the position the Catholic leadership has taken on the abortion issue. 
Wrong.

These students are using the fact that they attend a so-called "Catholic institution" to impose their anti-choice views on abortion as a litmus test on whether someone can appear on their campus. If you are going to hide behind the Catholic banner, then you should not attend football or basketball games with a majority black team who I guarantee overwhelmingly support President Obama and his policies, including a woman's right to choose.
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »
Wrong.

These students are using the fact that they attend a so-called "Catholic institution" to impose their anti-choice views on abortion as a litmus test on whether someone can appear on their campus. If you are going to hide behind the Catholic banner, then you should not attend football or basketball games with a majority black team who I guarantee overwhelmingly support President Obama and his policies, including a woman's right to choose.

Wrong.  These students and the many others who are opposed to Obama's invite are taking a position very similar to what Catholic leaders say about political leaders who support abortion (not giving them communion), including encouraging voters not to support pro abortion candidates. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

why is their graduation about abortion?

that's the part I don't understand

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
The graduation isn't about abortion.  The protest is about abortion.  There are protests by many about a commencement speaker at the nation's leading Catholic university with abortion views that are antithetical to the Catholic church's stance on abortion. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
I take it pro-lifers are against the death penalty as well?  ;)

As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
I take it pro-lifers are against the death penalty as well?  ;)

The two have nothing to do with one another. 

One is INNOCENT LIFE the other is not.