Author Topic: eating too much meat, ldl is high, how to lower my cholestrol  (Read 2400 times)

judochoke

• Getbig III
my ldl level is 160, but i have been eating a shit load of red meat lately. i have cut out the meat to once a week. anything else i can do to lower my ldl. my hdl and trig. are in a good range. judo

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: eating too much meat, ldl is high, how to lower my cholestrol
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
my ldl level is 160, but i have been eating a shit load of red meat lately. i have cut out the meat to once a week. anything else i can do to lower my ldl. my hdl and trig. are in a good range. judo

cardio.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
tricor + wiggs advices

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »

Take Winstrol and Trenbolone.
I hate the State.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
Don't make your coffee in a french press.
$

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
Don't make your coffee in a french press.
ever gonna put on some weight, twink?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
What Wiggs said,plus do pushaways!! :)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
cut down red meat and egg yolks, eat oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast every day, drink a glass of red wine every night, eat fish every day, eat yams or sweet potatoes, lots of brocoli, low fat peanut butter, fresh berries. 

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »
start taking a fiber supplement.  You will crap your way back to healthy cholesterol levels.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:13:49 PM »
The fact that your hdl and tri's are in normal range I wouldn't be too worried about ldl.  The cholesterol theory is basically bullshit with so many holes in the research and statistics its ridiculous.  You can't blame your entire problem on red meat and eggs.  What else do you eat?  What's your family history?  Vitamins you are taking?  Drugs you are taking?  Before you cut out red meat I'd try cutting out processed food especially junk food from your diet.  Maybe try some niacin but if you're a bodybuilder eliminating red meat would suck.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »
Change your hereditary characteristics...

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
Gene doping.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
the best way other than diet and exercise is have 1-2 alcoholic drinks a night, studies show that this will not only lower your LDL but raise your HDL

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »
The fact that your hdl and tri's are in normal range I wouldn't be too worried about ldl. 

That's cute  ;D
just not good enough

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »
Diseases associated with high cholesterol (and fats) are the number one killer. Fats also play a key role in the incidence of cancers and many other degenerative diseases. Cholesterol exists only in animal tissues, therefore, one's diet is an important first step in its control. For some people, however, limiting fat and cholesterol intake alone is not enough to reduce serum cholesterol to safe levels because of their own liver's production of excess cholesterol. The use of supplements to augment dietary modification can help reduce cholesterol without the side effects of many drugs.

The effectiveness of any cholesterol-reduction therapy varies considerably between individuals. The nutrients we recommend have not only been shown to lower cholesterol, but also protect against cardiovascular disease by other mechanisms such as inhibition of cholesterol-oxidizing free radicals and abnormal blood clots inside arteries (thrombosis).

The following nutritional supplements offer synergistic benefits to assist dietary modification to reduce total serum cholesterol and elevate HDL cholesterol:

Policosanol, take one tablet twice per day with meals: one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Or Sytrinol, one capsule twice daily. Note:Do not take if it causes your cholesterol to drop below 180 mg/dL
Fiber, 4 to 6 grams before any high-fat meal.
Chitosan, three to six 500-mg chitosan capsules and one 1000 mg ascorbic acid capsule right before a high-fat meal.
Niacin, 1500 to 3000 mg a day (if tolerable).
Artichoke extract, 300 mg, 3 times a day.
Garlic, 600 to 4800 mg a day.
Curcumin, 900 to 1800 mg a day.
Gugulipid, 140 mg 1 to 2 times a day.
Green tea, 750 mg a day of green tea, 93% polyphenol extract.
Perilla oil, 6000 mg a day. We suggest taking six 1000-mg gel caps daily. If triglycerides are high, consider taking 4-8 softgels of fish oil (EPA/DHA).
Vitamin E, 400 to 800 IU daily
Soy protein extract, 2 heaping teaspoons (5 to 6 grams) of soy powder daily.
Selenium, 200 to 600 mcg daily.
 ;)

I am a big baby

mantronik

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
Q: What's the final word on saturated fat?

A: Asking about saturated fat is like asking about the war in Iraq: The answer you get completely depends on who you ask.

Since you asked me, I'll tell you my opinion, but rest assured that if you ask a Stepford Wife Dietitian you'll get an entirely different answer. Of course, if you were the type to listen to those idiots, you probably wouldn't be reading my column.

For years and years the main rap against saturated fat is that it raises cholesterol, which in turn  "causes" heart disease. But the importance of cholesterol as a major risk factor for heart disease is beginning to be questioned. And the fact is that saturated fat sometimes raises cholesterol and sometimes doesn't, and ultimately it may not even matter.

In 2008, The American Society of Bariatric Physicians in conjunction with the Metabolism Society presented an entire two day conference in Arizona entitled: "Saturated Fat and Heart Disease: What's the Evidence"?  I attended that conference, in which some of the smartest researchers investigating this issue participated, and I can sum up the answer to the question "What's the evidence?" for you in two words: Not much.

In my opinion, the "fate" of saturated fat in the body depends completely on what else is eaten. If you're eating a high-carb diet, the effect of saturated fat may indeed be deleterious, but if you're eating a low-carb diet it's a whole other ballgame.

"If carbs are low, insulin is low and saturated fat is handled more efficiently," said Jeff Volek, PhD, RD and one of the major researchers in the area of diet comparisons. "When carbs are low, you're burning that saturated fat as fuel, and you're also making less of it."

So, eat way less carbohydrates and way less sugar, and it may not matter how much saturated fat you eat.

One reason that saturated fat has been demonized, in my opinion, is that much of the research on diet and disease has lumped saturated fat together with trans-fats. Trans-fats weren't even a health issue until relatively recently, and for decades researchers didn't distinguish between the two when doing studies of diet patterns.

Why does this matter? Because manmade trans-fats really are the Spawn of Satan. They clearly raise the risk for heart disease and stroke, and, according to Harvard professors Walt Willett and Alberto Ascherio, are responsible for 30,000 premature deaths a year.

Another reason saturated fat has such a bad reputation is that much of the saturated fat people consume comes from really crummy sources. Fried foods are not a great way to get fat in your diet. Neither is processed deli meats nor hormone-treated beef. But the saturated fat from healthy animals — like grass-fed beef or lamb — or the saturated fat in organic butter or in egg yolks is a whole different story.

I've never seen one convincing piece of evidence that saturated fat from whole food sources like the ones I just mentioned has a single negative impact on heart disease, health, or mortality, especially when it's part of a diet high in plant foods, antioxidants, fiber and the rest of the good stuff you can eat on a controlled carbohydrate eating plan!

So what's the verdict? Though there may be certain cases where saturated fat could be a problem — i.e. those with the ApoE4 gene making them more susceptible to Alzheimer's seem to benefit from avoiding too much saturated fat — for most people a healthy diet of moderate calories that's low in sugar shouldn't have any problem with saturated fat from whole food sources.

Of course that won't stop the diet dictocrats from continuing to tell us how "a low-fat diet prevents heart disease," but inconvenient facts have never stopped the American Dietetic Association!

Harry Spotter

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
no reason to cut out red meat

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
cardio and a fresh glove of garlic upon wakening

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 02:11:36 AM »

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »
cut out half or more of your liver

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:07 AM »
Don't let cholesterol get in the way of living the dream.......
No doubt about it...