Author Topic: Arm growth (tris)  (Read 7331 times)

Shawdow

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Arm growth (tris)
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »
hahahaa, dude does have some big ass arms for sure.

it's funny that he thinks the volume built his triceps, while he says he can do 315 close grip benches for reps
anybody who can do that must have some big ass triceps anyways regardless of volume lol

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
it's funny that he thinks the volume built his triceps, while he says he can do 315 close grip benches for reps
anybody who can do that must have some big ass triceps anyways regardless of volume lol
all kidding aside though meso is a hard trainer and obviously strong.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
that'll work or just do 'em the way most people do them by standing up with your back facing the stack and do them overhead.
X2
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »
so a flat bench ... cable attachmet from the top elbows on the bench?

Here's a picture of Larry doing his version.

I used to do this movement with an ordinary flat bench. Just rest your forehead on the very edge of the side.

Scott's original instructions:
"The pulley should be about 5 feet off the floor. The twin pedestal bench should be about 15 inches off the floor. Oh I almost forgot. You need to have a V bar to make this combination work it’s magic. Also, the bar should be at least 2 inches in diameter."

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 12:24:53 AM »
thanks for the pic will try those today
choice is an illusion

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
Here's a picture of Larry doing his version.

I used to do this movement with an ordinary flat bench. Just rest your forehead on the very edge of the side.

Scott's original instructions:
"The pulley should be about 5 feet off the floor. The twin pedestal bench should be about 15 inches off the floor. Oh I almost forgot. You need to have a V bar to make this combination work it’s magic. Also, the bar should be at least 2 inches in diameter."

Haha work it's magic?  There's nothing special to that movement that you can't get out of a good set of good ol tricep pushdowns, french presses or any other basic tri exercise.  The key to growth is not which exercise you do.  It's how you train the muscle.  Going to failure, doing more voluming and pumping type work.  Cycling the two etc. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »
Haha work it's magic?  There's nothing special to that movement that you can't get out of a good set of good ol tricep pushdowns, french presses or any other basic tri exercise.  

Early Weider advertising at it's finest!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »
That Larry Scott cable version has been done with a long rope (seen it used with a judo belt) with a training partner standing behind and applying the resistance. Either with the elbows on a regular benc, stool or just lying flat down on a mat.

The advantage of having someone apply the resistance is that you can go from very heavy to very light resistance on the exercise. Can control the beginning from very hard for the first few reps  to more moderate/light for the last few reps for an awesome  pump.

Another advantage is that you can also do negative movements, with the training partners help. Combining positive and negative max reps in the same  exercise. Triceps tend to blow up like nothing else. Very close to the original Nautilus  principle  of hitting the three phase resistance muscle function. In any event, it is a killer tricep exercise.

The ladder, push off, etc can well be used as the only triceps exercise in a workout. It can be adapted to become a mass builder when done right. Good Luck.

F

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »
That Larry Scott cable version has been done with a long rope (seen it used with a judo belt) with a training partner standing behind and applying the resistance. Either with the elbows on a regular benc, stool or just lying flat down on a mat.

The advantage of having someone apply the resistance is that you can go from very heavy to very light resistance on the exercise. Can control the beginning from very hard for the first few reps  to more moderate/light for the last few reps for an awesome  pump.

Another advantage is that you can also do negative movements, with the training partners help. Combining positive and negative max reps in the same  exercise. Triceps tend to blow up like nothing else. Very close to the original Nautilus  principle  of hitting the three phase resistance muscle function. In any event, it is a killer tricep exercise.

The ladder, push off, etc can well be used as the only triceps exercise in a workout. It can be adapted to become a mass builder when done right. Good Luck.

my tri routine today was
 one arm press downs warm up
pressdowns
seated ez bar extensions
tricep ladders 4 step ladder + one sets ..3 sts in total
one arm over head extensions..
then rope pushdowns
tris felt great
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »
Haha work it's magic?  There's nothing special to that movement that you can't get out of a good set of good ol tricep pushdowns, french presses or any other basic tri exercise.  The key to growth is not which exercise you do.  It's how you train the muscle.  Going to failure, doing more voluming and pumping type work.  Cycling the two etc. 
.. i dont agree some excersises hit the muscle better than others for me....
choice is an illusion

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »

;D
That's just Larry's style of writing.
It's also how he talks.

He seems like a really nice guy, who in a way reminds me a bit of the late (and heavily afro'd) Bob Ross from The Joy of Painting.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »

That's insane; the exercises matter a lot, just like the degree of work matters. As far as those standard choices you brought up, typical pushdowns i'd put at the bottom of the heap. One of the least effective exercises; the thing is the masses incuding you never question anything so you just follow like sheep. None of the exercises you listed works the same as the pedestal extension.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
i always thought pushdowns were ok depending on the handle being used whats your take on rope pushdowns?
choice is an illusion

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
i tend to agree with mcmannus..... a muscle contraction is a muscle contration and exercise choice doesnt matter too much at all...however certain exercises tend to stress certain areas better than others... larry scott said thi particular movemtn was great for a particular head of the tricep... which i dont doubt it is.... some exercises stress different parts of a muscle differently...so to the exten that you need to fully develop every area of every muscle, yes exercise selection would matter....

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
IMO, anyone who thinks the exercises are essentially the same:

-Hasn't tried enough of them to discern some of the differences.

-Hasn't really experienced optimal mind-muscle connections, which requires among other things the most effective exercises.

Big difference when these are factored in. With experience and knowing what works the best, training becomes more efficient and less time-consuming.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
IMO, anyone who thinks the exercises are essentially the same:

-Hasn't tried enough of them to discern some of the differences.

-Hasn't really experienced optimal mind-muscle connections, which requires among other things the most effective exercises.

Big difference when these are factored in. With experience and knowing what works the best, training becomes more efficient and less time-consuming.

okay pump

squats
hack squats
power squats
front squats

in my opinion it doesnt matter at all which one you choose..... any of them are as effective as anyother one...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
okay pump

squats
hack squats
power squats
front squats

in my opinion it doesnt matter at all which one you choose..... any of them are as effective as anyother one...

No offense but what criteria should be used to believe what you say-you don't explain why one thing is the same as the next thing, you use volume that most find excessive, and are not physically imposing in terms of leg development at least not yet so why would someone take your opinion seriously?

My legs were always my strongest area; i had pro football/top BB calibre legs by age 20. The type of squats i did mattered big-time to me and to the other BBs i trained with. Conversely, there were some leg exercises i did then that i think were a waste of time.

Besides which, using different types of squats reduced the differences; a bigger difference is seen between very different types of exercises.

The more you train and gain experience, the more you realize the subtle nuance even between exercises that appear similar.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
No offense but what criteria should be used to believe what you say-

i had pro football/top BB calibre legs by age 20.

LOL, epic pot calling kettle.......... ;D

Unless I missed your pic pumpster ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »

LOL, epic pot calling kettle.......... ;D

Unless I missed your pic pumpster ???

lol dude I already mentioned on one of your threads weeks ago that i planted that pic almost two years ago. It's worked beautifully; that's rocketdweeb from the truce thread. ;D

I haven't done any serious leg work since the early 80s; the size has remained the same just from cardio.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
No offense but what criteria should be used to believe what you say-you don't explain why one thing is the same as the next thing, you use volume that most find excessive, and are not physically imposing in terms of leg development at least not yet so why would someone take your opinion seriously?

My legs were always my strongest area; i had pro football/top BB calibre legs by age 20. The type of squats i did mattered big-time to me and to the other BBs i trained with. Conversely, there were some leg exercises i did then that i think were a waste of time.

Besides which, using different types of squats reduced the differences; a bigger difference is seen between very different types of exercises.

The more you train and gain experience, the more you realize the subtle nuance even between exercises that appear similar.
agree....
different excercise work differently for different people... because people have different proportions....
choice is an illusion

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 05:15:25 AM »
lol dude I already mentioned on one of your threads weeks ago that i planted that pic almost two years ago. It's worked beautifully; that's rocketdweeb from the truce thread. ;D

I haven't done any serious leg work since the early 80s; the size has remained the same just from cardio.

That's what I'm saying, you're claiming  "top BB calibre legs", but you've offered no proof. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »
That's what I'm saying, you're claiming  "top BB calibre legs", but you've offered no proof. ;)

I'm saying that with quiet confidence, after years of being on here. I don't have to prove anything. Anyone who wants to see proof in person can pm me.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
I'm saying that with quiet confidence, after years of being on here. I don't have to prove anything. Anyone who wants to see proof in person can pm me.
pumpster you cant dismiss what i wrote (about hacks, squats, front squats, power suqtas all being equal) by saying you have great legs , better than mine, when you don know what my leg looks like and you have never shown anyone what yoru legs look like.

i already mentioned that yes some exercises do stress different areas of a certain muscle. for example, incline bench, flat bench, decline bench, dumbell flies.  all stress a bit different areas of the pec.  but any exercise is just as productive as anyother exercise, in terms of stimulating growth... your msucle has no idea whther its doing a sqaut, a hack squat, a front squat...al it knows is it is being told to contract and push a whole lot of weight. (it doesnt know how much weight its pushing either, but thats a different argument entirely)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
pumpster you cant dismiss what i wrote (about hacks, squats, front squats, power suqtas all being equal) by saying you have great legs , better than mine, when you don know what my leg looks like and you have never shown anyone what yoru legs look like.

i already mentioned that yes some exercises do stress different areas of a certain muscle. for example, incline bench, flat bench, decline bench, dumbell flies.  all stress a bit different areas of the pec.  but any exercise is just as productive as anyother exercise, in terms of stimulating growth... your msucle has no idea whther its doing a sqaut, a hack squat, a front squat...al it knows is it is being told to contract and push a whole lot of weight. (it doesnt know how much weight its pushing either, but thats a different argument entirely)

I have naturally better legs than most, could make them bigger but there's no point.

Using those squats as an example is a little unfair, because some exercises are very different from one another. A better example would be to compare a regular squat to a leg extension. Another might be to compare a lying extension to a seated one-similar but not the same, and one or the other could cause elbows problems that the other wouldn't becuase of that difference.

Even with squats everyone's got preferences that make one better than another. Add that to the fact that there are some differences in where they hit including how they effect joints so there are still reasons to do one over another. I've never cared for front squats.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
I have naturally better legs than most, could make them bigger but there's no point.

Using those squats as an example is a little unfair, because some exercises are very different from one another. A better example would be to compare a regular squat to a leg extension. Another might be to compare a lying extension to a seated one-similar but not the same, and one or the other could cause elbows problems that the other wouldn't becuase of that difference.

Even with squats everyone's got preferences that make one better than another. Add that to the fact that there are some differences in where they hit including how they effect joints so there are still reasons to do one over another. I've never cared for front squats.
i agree with all this